inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Isn't it weird that a lot of people can't remember the '90s?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/08/06 at 5:36 pm

If you were born after 1996, you probably remember none, or almost none of the '90s.  And if you were born after 1993, you only remember the new-school late '90s.  Really, you have to be teen-aged now to remember the '90s.

If everyone under 10 can't remember the '90s, that's about 10% of the world's population.

Subject: Re: Isn't it weird that a lot of people can't remember the '90s?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/08/06 at 6:46 pm

I think that probably you can't be qualified as remembering the '90s if you were born after 1994-1995, part of the reason I think that 1995-1996 or so is when Gen Z really takes off.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/08/06 at 6:48 pm

I think that probably you can't be qualified as remembering the '90s if you were born after 1994-1995, part of the reason I think that 1995-1996 or so is when Gen Z really takes off.

I agree in that someone born after doesn't really remember the '90s, they may remember a few events that occured in the '90s, but they don't really remember anything significant from the decade.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/08/06 at 6:55 pm

When I was young in the Early/Mid '90s, I didn't really pay that much attention to each and every day to the point where I would remember it well.  That's one thing that bugs me, I wish that alot more interesting stuff could have happened during my childhood so I could remember the Early/Mid '90s alot better than I actually do

I've said before that there are some certain days I remember from when I was a young child.  Like there were maybe 2 or 3 days I can remember from 1990 and 1991, but that's about it

1992 is somewhat a memorable year for me because I spent 3 months of that year playing in a "T-Ball" League, which I remember well. I also remember starting Kindergarten in September that year, and I remember the majority of Kindergarten.

I'm sure if someone were to tell me what I was doing on a certain day in my early childhood, I could easily say "Oh Yeah, I remember that!", but as a child, I never really payed attention to what year it was or that I would ever even be nostalgic.  As a kid, you're so careless and unknowledgable about stuff.  It sucks really

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/08/06 at 7:04 pm

Like I've said, I'd say 1996 is the first year of Z. Namely because they'd only be 4 in 2000, so their first memories would occur around Y2K. Also unlike even a 1994er would they wouldn't get 9/11 and would basically be raised in the so-called "War on Terror" era.

Written By: whistledog on 05/08/06 at 7:12 pm

If you were born in the 90's, it's no surprise that you don't remember most of the 90's. 

I was born in the 70's and I don't remember the 70's at all ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/08/06 at 7:13 pm

The first year I was aware of what year it was is 1991.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/08/06 at 7:15 pm

I think 1994 is the first year I was aware of it being 1994. I remember knowing Clinton was president and thinking it was weird that Bush Sr. was president when I was born.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/08/06 at 7:21 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/08/06 at 7:22 pm

I was born in 1990 though. I think that's a little different. I wasn't born in like, 1997  ;D

Yeah, we can remember the Spice Girls and how big Titanic and Princess Di's funeral were, and the Macarena. Somebody even born in 1993 probably wouldn't remember those. That is very strange.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/08/06 at 7:23 pm

I was born in 1990 though. I think that's a little different. I wasn't born in like, 1997  ;D

Yea people born in the early '90s usually have a decent memory of the late '90s, if you're were born in the mid '90s, the '90s probably mean nothing to you.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/08/06 at 7:24 pm

I think of myself as more being a late '80s than early '90s baby, because I'm like three months away from it.

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/08/06 at 8:10 pm

I was born in '89 and I can remember as far back as maybe 1992. But I wasn't aware of the year until either 1994 or 1995.

The '89 and '90 borners like me, can they usualy remember the '90s. I'm assuming yes, but I'm one of few who cares.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/08/06 at 8:25 pm

I think of myself as more being a late '80s than early '90s baby, because I'm like three months away from it.

I think of myself as an '80s/'90s cusp baby. Not a late '80s baby, because I was born in 1990 (even if only barely).  But I don't consider myself a "'90s baby", except in the most literal sense.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/08/06 at 8:44 pm

Yea people born in the early '90s usually have a decent memory of the late '90s, if you're were born in the mid '90s, the '90s probably mean nothing to you.

I consider 1994 to be the first year of "'00s babies". Although they would remember 1998 and 1999 well enough.

Written By: Ebontyne on 05/08/06 at 8:46 pm

If you were born after 1996, you probably remember none, or almost none of the '90s.  And if you were born after 1993, you only remember the new-school late '90s.  Really, you have to be teen-aged now to remember the '90s.

If everyone under 10 can't remember the '90s, that's about 10% of the world's population.

To be honest, I find it somewhat strange that people who'll be starting high school this September were born in 1992 and were only 5 years old when I started high school back in '97. I know that's totally stupid -- I mean, time obviously passes, right? -- but I guess I had just never really even thought about it before. When I finally realized that today's high school kids are born in the '90s rather than the '80s, it seemed somehow remarkable to me at first. ;)

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/08/06 at 8:47 pm

I consider 1994 to be the first year of "'00s babies". Although they would remember 1998 and 1999 well enough.

But weren't they babies in the '90s actually? Really I think they're '90s babies, children of the '00s and will be teens of the '10s.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/08/06 at 8:48 pm

To be honest, I find it somewhat strange that people who'll be starting high school this September were born in 1992 and were only 5 years old when I started high school back in '97. I know that's totally stupid -- I mean, time obviously passes, right? -- but I guess I had just never really even thought about it before. When I finally realized that today's high school kids are born in the '90s rather than the '80s, it seemed somehow remarkable to me at first. ;)

It seems like yesterday when the '92ers were just 8 years old or so in 2000.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/08/06 at 8:52 pm

Like, I can say I get the feel of the mid-'90s, which I do, from memory and being peripherally aware of some of the pop culture then. But it means more to me because I remember 1996-1997 and up so well.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/08/06 at 9:20 pm

But weren't they babies in the '90s actually? Really I think they're '90s babies, children of the '00s and will be teens of the '10s.

No, I should say '00s kids.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/08/06 at 9:24 pm

No, I should say '00s kids.

Yea, That makes more sense.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/08/06 at 9:38 pm

It's true that more young people are being born than ever before, but these are largely in developing countries. In first world countries the opposite is happening; the population is getting older, and fewer kids are being born. So there would probably have been more kids who couldn't remember the 80s than those who couldn't remember the 90s.

I remember the 90s pretty well, first really being aware of them about 1993 (my first memories being about 1989).

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/08/06 at 9:58 pm

It's true that more young people are being born than ever before, but these are largely in developing countries. In first world countries the opposite is happening; the population is getting older, and fewer kids are being born. So there would probably have been more kids who couldn't remember the 80s than those who couldn't remember the 90s.

I remember the 90s pretty well, first really being aware of them about 1993 (my first memories being about 1989).

It seems most people in the West were born c. 1946-1990, I'd say. Basically during the Cold War era.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/08/06 at 10:01 pm

It seems most people in the West were born c. 1946-1990, I'd say. Basically during the Cold War era.

Yes, in the US and Australia it seems to be the case, although in parts of Europe there was no real 'echoe boom' to speak of, with birth-rates being low from about the 60s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/08/06 at 10:02 pm

Yes, in the US and Australia it seems to be the case, although in parts of Europe there was no real 'echoe boom' to speak of, with birth-rates being low from about the 60s.

That's why there's still tons of '60s and '70s nostalgia. You have to be older to remember the '60s and '70s, but there's tons of people who do.  The '80s-'00s era will not have as many fans in the future, although they will still be around until the 22nd century.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/08/06 at 10:06 pm

That's why there's still tons of '60s and '70s nostalgia. You have to be older to remember the '60s and '70s, but there's tons of people who do.  The '80s-'00s era will not have as many fans in the future, although they will still be around until the 22nd century.

60s nostalgia will ALWAYS be around. As I've often said, gaudiness is what makes a decade memorable, what puts it on the pages of history books. The 90s, while my favourite decade, lacked character and a sense of identity. That - and to a lesser extent because they were recent - is why theres very little 90s nostalgia (but alot of 90s influenced stuff), and why 90s nostalgia will be nothing like the scale of 80s nostalgia in the near future. I don't think 90s nostalgia will EVER really catch on, aside from a faithful group of nostalgic Gen-Yers like us: I don't know how it is among your peers, but it seems we've largely forgotten the 90s.

I fear no decade post 2000 will ever have enough identity to generate as much nostalgia as the 80s. Everything seems too bland, too uninteresting.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/08/06 at 10:08 pm

60s nostalgia will ALWAYS be around. As I've often said, gaudiness is what makes a decade memorable, what puts it on the pages of history books. The 90s, while my favourite decade, lacked character and a sense of identity. That - and to a lesser extent because they were recent - is why theres very little 90s nostalgia (but alot of 90s influenced stuff), and why 90s nostalgia will be nothing like the scale of 80s nostalgia in the near future. I don't think 90s nostalgia will EVER really catch on, aside from a faithful group of nostalgic Gen-Yers like us: I don't know how it is among your peers, but it seems we've largely forgotten the 90s.

I fear no decade post 2000 will ever have enough identity to generate as much nostalgia as the 80s. Everything seems too bland, too uninteresting.

Do you think the decades of the 21st century are even really "decades", in the sense that they're viewed as their own identity. Hell this decade doesn't even have a name, except in Britain where it's called "The Noughties" (which I really like).

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/08/06 at 10:12 pm

Do you think the decades of the 21st century are even really "decades", in the sense that they're viewed as their own identity. Hell this decade doesn't even have a name, except in Britain where it's called "The Noughties" (which I really like).

There's a reason why it's impossible to forget a Boxy 80s silver boom-box, whereas today's tech stuff - like H.D. TV's will be forgotten. Because they STOOD OUT. I think a decade has to really STAND OUT for people to remember it. The 00s are just a little bit too much like the 90s to really STAND OUT. Seems plain and obvious, but when you think about it it makes sense.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/08/06 at 10:16 pm

There's a reason why it's impossible to forget a Boxy 80s silver boom-box, whereas today's tech stuff - like H.D. TV's will be forgotten. Because they STOOD OUT. I think a decade has to really STAND OUT for people to remember it. The 00s are just a little bit too much like the 90s to really STAND OUT. Seems plain and obvious, but when you think about it it makes sense.

I agree. The '90s/'00s difference is like the '60s/'70s difference, in that it's one you really have to have been there for to appreciate.  Everything from the 1980s screams "Eighties!", but with the '90s and '00s you really have to train yourself to tell the difference. 

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/08/06 at 10:18 pm

They will be, don't worry as things change people will start classifying decades again, but that may not begin till the 2020s. The '00s and '10s may simply be just referred to as early 21st century.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/08/06 at 10:20 pm

I agree. The '90s/'00s difference is like the '60s/'70s difference, in that it's one you really have to have been there for to appreciate.  Everything from the 1980s screams "Eighties!", but with the '90s and '00s you really have to train yourself to tell the difference. 

The 60s and 70s were like chalk and cheese: well, maybe the early 70s were a bit like the 60s, but late 70s were so entirely different from the 60s.

To me, the 70s are slightly more 80s than 60s (esp: 76-80), while the 90s are more like the 80s than the 00s in most respects.

And yes, a kid born in 2050 will have no clue about the 90s-00s difference. To them, it will be significant as the 'Digital Revolution', much like the 'Space Race' of the 60s was to us.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/08/06 at 11:16 pm

The 60s and 70s were like chalk and cheese: well, maybe the early 70s were a bit like the 60s, but late 70s were so entirely different from the 60s.

To me, the 70s are slightly more 80s than 60s (esp: 76-80), while the 90s are more like the 80s than the 00s in most respects.

And yes, a kid born in 2050 will have no clue about the 90s-00s difference. To them, it will be significant as the 'Digital Revolution', much like the 'Space Race' of the 60s was to us.

When did the Digital Revolution strike Australia? Here in the States it really happened around 1995 I'd say.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/08/06 at 11:16 pm

The '70s I'd say aren't the "New Sixties", but little more than a bridge between the '60s and '80s.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 05/09/06 at 4:47 am

Yeah, I feel the same way. I think at least part of the reason, is this decade. Other than technology, it hasn't evolved. There's no huge original cultural happenings. And therefore, the whole decade seems like a wasteland, or something. And going so fast. I mean, how can it really be 2006?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/09/06 at 5:07 am

I was born in 1985 and from the 80s, I remember maybe 1 or 2 things. Nothing pre-1988 or 1989.

It has been said that people don't remember things up from before age 2 or 3, or when they start talking. So someone born in 1996 won't remember much (if anything) up until at least 1998 or 1999. There is, however the very rare occurance of people remembering right as early as their birth...  :o

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/09/06 at 6:15 am

When did the Digital Revolution strike Australia? Here in the States it really happened around 1995 I'd say.

As always, slightly later than the rest of the Developed World, though we really took to the internet in the following years. We are a definitely over-represented country in Cyberspace.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/09/06 at 12:31 pm

I think '90s nostalgia will be quite big actually, as a reaction against the '80s nostalgia. I think this is an easily classifiable decade and 21st century decades will be classified as well. Really, the first classified decade was the "Gay Nineties", the 1890s of the "Gilded Age." Then the "Roaring Twenties", the 1920s.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/10/06 at 3:52 am

I think '90s nostalgia will be quite big actually, as a reaction against the '80s nostalgia. I think this is an easily classifiable decade and 21st century decades will be classified as well. Really, the first classified decade was the "Gay Nineties", the 1890s of the "Gilded Age." Then the "Roaring Twenties", the 1920s.

What will the 00s be remembered as?

The Beginning of the Digital Age? The Digital 00s?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/10/06 at 5:40 am

What will the 00s be remembered as?

The Beginning of the Digital Age? The Digital 00s?

"The Overwrought '00s"

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/10/06 at 1:30 pm

Yeah, I agree it's weird. It's gonna be really wierd in 4 years that a 10 year old wasn't even alive in the 90's or the 20th century. It's also strange that someone born in 2006 may not even remember the 2000's at all :o

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/10/06 at 9:24 pm

Yeah, I agree it's weird. It's gonna be really wierd in 4 years that a 10 year old wasn't even alive in the 90's or the 20th century. It's also strange that someone born in 2006 may not even remember the 2000's at all :o

Anyone born in 1994 would have lived half there lives in the 00s! And they're already 12! It didn't seem that longer ago when I was 12.

Written By: Classie83 on 05/20/06 at 10:23 pm

Same with  me....when the 1990ers are seniors, I will feel like a grandma. j/k

Written By: Classie83 on 05/20/06 at 10:26 pm

It seems like yesterday when the '92ers were just 8 years old or so in 2000.

I don't know. I feel like it's really strange when I began to realize that 1990 - 2 ers are probably starting to have / experiment with sex.....*shudders*

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/20/06 at 10:34 pm

Alright, time for a personal flashback. The date was I think Wednesday, August 23, 1995. That was my first day of kindergarten. It's amazing when I look back to that year and look at my yearbook. Those kids were my age and cute little kids. Now they're my age. About 16 years old. I haven't seen most of them since 2001 in 5th grade, and I can only imagine what's going on right now. A reunion would be pretty weird.

Check for new replies or respond here...