inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hairstyle, fashion of 90s

Written By: Dan1212 on 05/10/06 at 1:50 am

I really liked the general 90s style, how it progressed throught the decade.  Looking at the early 90s, I can see that woman were wearing the shoulder pds, the big scrunchies pulling thier hair back, usually wavy (never straight), the round, pearl earings were also worn by them...along with darker clothing.  Kids in the early 90s wore the cheesy tight jeans, with the white socks showing, etc.  Mid 90s for kids it started to look a bit more looser - oversized shirts, etc   I think 1996 was when fashion began to look a bit brighter and would eventually lead out the decade.  

Being in 4th grade in 1999, I remember wearing baggy jeans and the Sketchers with the thick, white laces.  "Loose" clothing was still in (as oposed to now - maybe it's becasue I'm in high school as oposed to elementary, but it seems like everybody is wearing tight, small anything, including me)  

Also, 1999 was the last year of the "bowl cut" for guys (again, this is from an elementarty perspective) when the gel the  siezer cut took over (short hair, with that flip in the front.  Many kids in my class dyed thier hair blond, too).  Now THAT cut is done with and the "shaggy look" is in for guys.

It's hard to organize thoughts, lol.  

Comments?

Subject: Re: Hairstyle, fashion of 90s

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/10/06 at 5:47 am

I really liked the general 90s style, how it progressed throught the decade.  Looking at the early 90s, I can see that woman were wearing the shoulder pds, the big scrunchies pulling thier hair back, usually wavy (never straight), the round, pearl earings were also worn by them...along with darker clothing.  Kids in the early 90s wore the cheesy tight jeans, with the white socks showing, etc.  Mid 90s for kids it started to look a bit more looser - oversized shirts, etc   I think 1996 was when fashion began to look a bit brighter and would eventually lead out the decade.  

Being in 4th grade in 1999, I remember wearing baggy jeans and the Sketchers with the thick, white laces.  "Loose" clothing was still in (as oposed to now - maybe it's becasue I'm in high school as oposed to elementary, but it seems like everybody is wearing tight, small anything, including me)  

Also, 1999 was the last year of the "bowl cut" for guys (again, this is from an elementarty perspective) when the gel the  siezer cut took over (short hair, with that flip in the front.  Many kids in my class dyed thier hair blond, too).  Now THAT cut is done with and the "shaggy look" is in for guys.

It's hard to organize thoughts, lol.  

Comments?

I remember that guy's hairstyle progression. 99-00 was the last year where you really saw the "bowl cut"/Furlong, and it coexisted with that siezer cut from about 98-99 or so. Then the shaggy look took over big time in 03-04, and the siezer was totally gone by the fall of 2005.

Written By: 1993 on 05/10/06 at 7:55 am

As I mentioned before, things on the elementary school level die out way later than stuff on the high and even middle school level. Bowl cuts were already a source of ridicule for teens by 1999 (though a select few did wear them) but they were still seen in elementary school. Mainly because 8 year olds aren't really conscious of keeping up with the times...and besides the bowl cut was fairl easy to maintain.

I think the "siezer cut" was a part of a greater neo-preppie culture that rose from the rich mid to late 90's, the economy was booming...peoples parents just seemed to have more money and weren't afraid to flaunt it. There children became this new generation of preppies. With the short, conservative flip up hairstyle (blonde as mentioned before) going for an all american wasp look (of course the wasps won't tell you that there official hairstyle is, and always will be, slightly longish and wavy)

of course this preppie revival didn't last long as the economy took a big hit in 2001.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/10/06 at 3:30 pm

As I mentioned before, things on the elementary school level die out way later than stuff on the high and even middle school level. Bowl cuts were already a source of ridicule for teens by 1999 (though a select few did wear them) but they were still seen in elementary school. Mainly because 8 year olds aren't really conscious of keeping up with the times...and besides the bowl cut was fairl easy to maintain.

I think the "siezer cut" was a part of a greater neo-preppie culture that rose from the rich mid to late 90's, the economy was booming...peoples parents just seemed to have more money and weren't afraid to flaunt it. There children became this new generation of preppies. With the short, conservative flip up hairstyle (blonde as mentioned before) going for an all american wasp look (of course the wasps won't tell you that there official hairstyle is, and always will be, slightly longish and wavy)

of course this preppie revival didn't last long as the economy took a big hit in 2001.

Well, I think the preppie thing first surfaced heavily c. 1997, with the "siezer cut", but preppie culture didn't fully explode until 2003, with people starting to forget about the economy and politics and "The O.C" premiering. Now, everyone is wearing fake D&G sunglasses, popped collars of brightly colored shirts, big Uggs (currently a mall-preppie symbol), Polo sweaters, and long, shaggy hair with a clean baseball cap. I do agree alot of the late '90s (but much milder and less over the top) "siezer" cut neo-preppies were preteens and kids who became peak Y preppy teens. It's sort of like the preppie revival of the early '80s, in that the wealth is very unequal now, but the rich are very rich, so the sort of "glam rap" preppiness is very (and almost offensively big.) In alot of ways, the current preppie hairstyle and the '80s preppieism that ran rampant in high schools at the time, was closer in hairdo to the actual "preppie" style.

Written By: HunkyDory on 05/10/06 at 5:46 pm

all i remember was that i had a bowl cut and always tied my sweatshirt around my waist

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/10/06 at 7:37 pm

all i remember was that i had a bowl cut and always tied my sweatshirt around my waist

I never had the bowl cut thing though a lot of other people in the mid '90s, I did used to tie my sweatshirt or jacket wround my waist though, I hardly ever do that now.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/10/06 at 8:02 pm

I never had the bowl cut thing though a lot of other people in the mid '90s, I did used to tie my sweatshirt or jacket wround my waist though, I hardly ever do that now.

I had both a bowl cut and tied my sweatshirt around my waist c. 1996-1998 or so.

Written By: 1993 on 05/10/06 at 11:50 pm

Well, I think the preppie thing first surfaced heavily c. 1997, with the "siezer cut", but preppie culture didn't fully explode until 2003, with people starting to forget about the economy and politics and "The O.C" premiering. Now, everyone is wearing fake D&G sunglasses, popped collars of brightly colored shirts, big Uggs (currently a mall-preppie symbol), Polo sweaters, and long, shaggy hair with a clean baseball cap. I do agree alot of the late '90s (but much milder and less over the top) "siezer" cut neo-preppies were preteens and kids who became peak Y preppy teens. It's sort of like the preppie revival of the early '80s, in that the wealth is very unequal now, but the rich are very rich, so the sort of "glam rap" preppiness is very (and almost offensively big.) In alot of ways, the current preppie hairstyle and the '80s preppieism that ran rampant in high schools at the time, was closer in hairdo to the actual "preppie" style.

are the late 90's preppies and 2003 preppies one and the same though? I always thought the late 90's preppies were just "Nantucket Pretenders" trying to look and act like the real blue blooded old boys of New England. The 2003 preppies are more of a west coast, laid back, OC, surfer boy, party girl preppiness. I always saw the 97-99 preppies as primarily 1982-1985 babies enjoying their parents money, while the 2003-now preppies were born mostly in the late 80's, early 90's and had parents who made it out of the economic downturn unscathed. Sick of the WASP style, they went West! I don't think any of the 97-99 preppies are still dressing and acting that way, since they're either out of, or finishing college by now.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/11/06 at 3:33 am

I had both a bowl cut and tied my sweatshirt around my waist c. 1996-1998 or so.

Any pics?  :D

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/11/06 at 5:15 am

Any pics?  :D

I can scan my second grade picture if you want, it's a magnet on my fridge right now.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/11/06 at 5:18 am

I can scan my second grade picture if you want, it's a magnet on my fridge right now.

That would be awesome...promise I won't laugh  :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/11/06 at 5:22 am

That would be awesome...promise I won't laugh  :)

Wait, how would I upload it?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/11/06 at 5:25 am

Wait, how would I upload it?

If you've got a geocities account/myspace.etc you just type the url of the image, high-light it and click the 'insert image' button (the picture frame). Make sure it's not too large (like below 500kb). Btw do you have a current pic? Ah well, it's ok if you're too embaressed, it would just be nice to see how you look seeing we talk so often. My embarressing pic is in the 'Show us how you look' thread.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/11/06 at 5:26 am

I'm trying to find my scanning program at the moment...

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/11/06 at 5:39 am

I'll do it when I find a suitable upload program.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/11/06 at 5:49 am

I'll do it when I find a suitable upload program.

If you can't find a scanning program you can always use a digital camera and just take a photo of it. That's what I sometimes do. The lighting.etc, however, has to be just right. Anyway, let me know if it's successful.  :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/11/06 at 6:01 am

If you can't find a scanning program you can always use a digital camera and just take a photo of it. That's what I sometimes do. The lighting.etc, however, has to be just right. Anyway, let me know if it's successful.  :)

I have the scanning program, I just need somewhere to upload it to...I'll probably upload it later, I already scanned it and maybe I'll scan some more pictures of myself from the mid-late '90s.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/11/06 at 6:04 am

I have the scanning program, I just need somewhere to upload it to...I'll probably upload it later, I already scanned it and maybe I'll scan some more pictures of myself from the mid-late '90s.

You should get a Yahoo Briefcase account...very useful for storing data when you don't have a CD/Thumb-drive handy...

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/11/06 at 12:16 pm

Let's get back to topic....

About the '90s preppies. I agree that it was mostly that late 1981-mid 1985 "early Y but fully Y" subset who got into it and stayed into it, when it was big from about late 1998 to to the summer of 2001 or so. But I never thought of it as quite being as "preppie" as more just a very bland, upper middle-class style associated with Ricky Martin, for "cool, popular types" who didn't play sports and just seemed to lounge around all day. However, some of the things associated with it seemed to be just styles rather than parts of a subculture: the cargo shorts, wraparound sunglasses, blonde-dyed siezer cut, etc. Though it was a precursor to the '00s preppie, it doesn't have a "subculture" like the '00s preppie does. In alot of ways, it was more mild and teenager-y than the '00s preppie, who seems to strive to be some L.A. Paris Hilton clubbie, and alot of people adopted it who weren't quite preppie. They were just "popular, but rather bland." The late 1985-mid 1990 set is the "O.C." sort, who are obsessed with conspicuous consumption, and adopted some things off the late '90s sort of preppie, but are into the party scene, real WASP hair, and things like lacrosse and North Face jackets. They're more "driven" and '00sy. I think 1991-1992 is the last set who are sort of like this, though it decreases every year from about 1989-1990, the last year of people who could've had that '90s preppie look when they were preteens, gotten lots of blonde siezer cuts at 11, etc. Like every year there seem to be less true "preppies", and more of them are just receding into being jocks or the '80s sort of popular, stuck-up rich kid.

Written By: Dan 121212 on 05/11/06 at 8:57 pm

The thing was - I don't think I was a "preppie" when I got the siezer cut back in early 2000.  I had scene it on TV, most my friends were beginning to have it, so I decided to have my hair cut like that, and put the gtel in it and everything.  As time went on, I started to just spike my whole head (beginning around early 2004), becuase I was tired of the same haircut over and over again.  Finally, the fall of 2004 (My 9th grade start), I totally left the gel out of my, and let it grow out to make it look shaggy - now, I wasn't upsest with pop culture and had no idea about "era's" back then, so I was blindly following a trend.  My hair is still very long now, but it isn't that "shag" look, I changed it - so it's long in the front, and short in the back. 

I also remember tying my shrot around my waist, lol.  I forgot about doing that, and how nobody seems to do it anymore, not even young kids.  Lol, it's just so funny someone mentionde that.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/21/07 at 9:58 pm

hahaha...just when I thought the 90's hairstyles ended...I was reading the newspaper today and their was a picture of some guy in the paper...and he had the worst 90's hair. It was long and in a ponytail...but the underneath part of his hair was all shaved. Do you guys remember this hairstyle? I actually had a friend (girl) that cut her hair like that! :o

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/21/07 at 10:06 pm

hahaha...just when I thought the 90's hairstyles ended...I was reading the newspaper today and their was a picture of some guy in the paper...and he had the worst 90's hair. It was long and in a ponytail...but the underneath part of his hair was all shaved. Do you guys remember this hairstyle? I actually had a friend (girl) that cut her hair like that! :o

I think some people who are hardcore fans or are resistant to change are just faithful to something regardless. Or they get so used to it that they don't feel like changing. I remember seeing a few people with frizzy '80ish hair as late as 1995. There were some older grades at this one Middle School I went to (it was like a combination middle/high school, but smaller), and I'd see this with the older crowd quite a bit.

I do know the "lower buzzcut" one you're talking about though, lol. That was popular in the mid-late '90s, although I've seen it here and there since then.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/21/07 at 10:08 pm

I think some people who are hardcore fans or are resistant to change are just faithful to something regardless. Or they get so used to it that they don't feel like changing. I remember seeing a few people with frizzy '80ish hair as late as 1995. There were some older grades at this one Middle School I went to (it was like a combination middle/high school, but smaller), and I'd see this with the older crowd quite a bit.

I do know the "lower buzzcut" one you're talking about though, lol. That was popular in the mid-late '90s, although I've seen it here and there since then.

ya, it made me laugh! I mean..there are some styles that I don't mind seeing...but this style and things like the box cut, or when people used to get designs shaved in their hair....that made me laugh!

Written By: audkal on 08/21/07 at 10:13 pm

This isn't like a normal ponytail right (just long hair pulled back).  Are you talking like....everything is cut short except this one part in the back that they leave long(?)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/21/07 at 10:16 pm

This isn't like a normal ponytail right (just long hair pulled back).  Are you talking like....everything is cut short except this one part in the back that they leave long(?)

No, this particular hairstyle consists of having the underneath part of the hair all shaved...and then pulling back the top layer into a ponytail.

See how Beckham's hair is in the bottom picture? It would look like that...but all the hair below the top ponytail...is shaved.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9iby4JVqstGPDMArCqjzbkF/SIG=11v067qn9/EXP=1187838933/**http%3A//www.ananova.com/images/web/65186.jpg

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/21/07 at 10:28 pm

ya, it made me laugh! I mean..there are some styles that I don't mind seeing...but this style and things like the box cut, or when people used to get designs shaved in their hair....that made me laugh!

Oh, the designs looked silly in any era. It was like their hair was a mini lawn. ;D

There was one Fresh Prince-era haircut that's sort of corny, but I like it. I can't describe it exactly, but it was high on top and the sides shaved down to a buzzcut. Almost like Marge Simpson, but not that outrageous. It was big c. 1991 or so.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/21/07 at 10:29 pm

Oh, the designs looked silly in any era. It was like their hair was a mini lawn. ;D

There was one Fresh Prince-era haircut that's sort of corny, but I like it. I can't describe it exactly, but it was high on top and the sides shaved down to a buzzcut. Almost like Marge Simpson, but not that outrageous. It was big c. 1991 or so.

oh, are you taking about the boxcut?....think the musical duo Kid n Play!! ;) :D

Written By: Gis on 08/22/07 at 1:20 am

There are still a lot of kids into the metal/skate thing who have that hairstyle. Yesterday I saw a girl with her three children and all 4 of them had dreads and not very good ones at that. The kids were aged about 6, 3 and 2 it looked horrible, just matted. The weird thing was the mum was really well dressed and not at all grungy.

Written By: NbC on 08/22/07 at 4:32 am

I am seeing quite a few guys with that style of hair around here. 

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 08/22/07 at 7:18 am

flannel shirts were also huge. and it seems like everyone was wearing them, not just "alternative" kids, because i've seen even the jock/cheerleader-looking types in my sister and brother's yearbooks wearing them.

short, flower-print dresses with spaghetti straps were also very popular...i see flower prints every where in movies from the early 90's.

i also see on young women alot of straight hair with fluffy bangs.

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/22/07 at 8:59 pm

Oh, wow! The skater guys when I was in junior high all sported that kind of hairstyle-I had a mad crush on one of them, too!  :-[ ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/22/07 at 11:38 pm

flannel shirts were also huge. and it seems like everyone was wearing them, not just "alternative" kids, because i've seen even the jock/cheerleader-looking types in my sister and brother's yearbooks wearing them.

short, flower-print dresses with spaghetti straps were also very popular...i see flower prints every where in movies from the early 90's.

i also see on young women alot of straight hair with fluffy bangs.

Loosely-related, but doesn't it seem that while both plaid and flannel shirts were popular fashion at the time (especially in the "deep, old-school Nineties" period of 1991-1996), plaid has survived into the present moreso? I still wear those all the time myself, especially the short-sleeve ones with bigger checkerboard patterns, and no one has ever given me a hard time for it. I see 'em on other people quite a bit too.

Yet, on the other hand, wearing a flannel shirt would make you look like Jay and Silent Bob now. Maybe not ridiculous (most everything from the '90s was more laid back, which is another reason it never really got a backlash IMO), but certainly dated enough to where someone would comment. ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/22/07 at 11:43 pm

Loosely-related, but doesn't it seem that while both plaid and flannel shirts were popular fashion at the time (especially in the "deep, old-school Nineties" period of 1991-1996), plaid has survived into the present moreso? I still wear those all the time myself, especially the short-sleeve ones with bigger checkerboard patterns, and no one has ever given me a hard time for it. I see 'em on other people quite a bit too.

My husband wears those kinds of shirts all the time (like with a t-shirt underneath it). ;)

Written By: monkeyboot on 09/14/07 at 9:12 pm

It's called an undercut and it's surprisingly still popular for a lot of people, for example the 'goth' look with the fake dreads etc.  ;)

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/15/07 at 9:09 am

i've seen goth people wearing flannel these past few years. i think it has to do with their fandom of Nirvana.

Check for new replies or respond here...