inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who here is a '90s nostalgist?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/11/06 at 6:50 pm

I am. Although I'm a 1990er  :-[

Subject: Re: Who here is a '90s nostalgist?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/11/06 at 6:51 pm

I am. Though again, I'm a 1990er. I'm a '90s nostalgist both because I miss what I was old enough for and because I miss what I wasn't old enough for.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/11/06 at 7:12 pm

I am, I loved my '90s childhood.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/11/06 at 7:14 pm

Ditto.  I honestly don't believe that there is anyone more Nostalgic about the '90s than me.  I'm insane about it  ;)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/11/06 at 8:41 pm

I'm pretty damn nostalgic about the 90s. Still got my collection of tazos/glo caps, kinder surprise toys, basketball cards, other 90s memorabilia. I also treasure all my old school scrapbooks, photos.etc.  :D

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/11/06 at 8:57 pm

Ditto.  I honestly don't believe that there is anyone more Nostalgic about the '90s than me.  I'm insane about it  ;)

Welcome to my world. ;)

I'm an '89er and I live and breath '90s nostalgia. I still play my N64 and my Windows 95 computer games. My favorite video tape is the tape I recorded in 1994 of the 8 hour Rugrats marathon including commercials. My favorite game shows are Nick Arcade, Family Double Dare, GUTS, Legends of the Hidden Temple, etc. Round of applause for the '90s! ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/11/06 at 8:58 pm

Welcome to my world. ;)

I'm an '89er and I live and breath '90s nostalgia. I still play my N64 and my Windows 95 computer games. My favorite video tape is the tape I recorded in 1994 of the 8 hour Rugrats marathon including commercials. My favorite game shows are Nick Arcade, Family Double Dare, GUTS, Legends of the Hidden Temple, etc. Round of applause for the '90s! ;D

I taped over my mid '90s rugrats tapes.  >:(

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/11/06 at 8:59 pm

Welcome to my world. ;)

Yeah, I'd wished I hadn't skipped taping the ads when I taped all those old 90s shows...sigh

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/11/06 at 9:55 pm

Welcome to my world. ;)

You sound alot like me.  I love to rummage through old tapes and try and find something from the '90s that I didn't tape over.  I just recently found a bunch of tapes from the following periods of the '90s

May 1986 (From when my Grandparents had taped some TV Movie.....This is also when I was Born  ;))

June 1994 (My Mother had taped the Television Premiere of "Gettysburg" on TNT.  Some great Summer 1994 commercials here, like ads for the 1994 NBA Draft and the "New" Diet Coke Cans)

November 1994 (Had taped HBO and there was an Ad for upcoming movies on HBO for the month of November 1994)

January 1996 (Had taped FOX during a Saturday afternoon and was just a bunch of shows like "The Simpsons" and "Roseanne")

January 1997 (My Mother had taped the TV Premiere of "Schindler's List", which aired Commercial Free on Network Television)

September 1997 (Princess Diana's Funeral)

I kick myself alot of the times because I had thrown away a whole stash of tapes a couple of years ago that had some old 90's stuff on it.  Such as the time when I taped alot of Music Videos on MTV back in 1995.  This was before my strong nostalgic trip kicked in though, so at the time I had no regrets getting rid of all the tapes to make my room cleaner.  Now I regret it deeply!

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/11/06 at 9:58 pm

You sound alot like me.  I love to rummage through old tapes and try and find something from the '90s that I didn't tape over.  I just recently found a bunch of tapes from the following periods of the '90s

May 1986 (From when my Grandparents had taped some TV Movie.....This is also when I was Born  ;))

June 1994 (My Mother had taped the Television Premiere of "Gettysburg" on TNT.  Some great Summer 1994 commercials here, like ads for the 1994 NBA Draft and the "New" Diet Coke Cans)

November 1994 (Had taped HBO and there was an Ad for upcoming movies on HBO for the month of November 1994)

January 1996 (Had taped FOX during a Saturday afternoon and was just a bunch of shows like "The Simpsons" and "Roseanne")

January 1997 (My Mother had taped the TV Premiere of "Schindler's List", which aired Commercial Free on Network Television)

I kick myself alot of the times because I had thrown away a whole stash of tapes a couple of years ago that had some old 90's stuff on it.  Such as the time when I taped alot of Music Videos on MTV back in 1995.  This was before my strong nostalgic trip kicked in though, so at the time I had no regrets getting rid of all the tapes to make my room cleaner.  Now I regret it deeply!

I taped Princess Di's funeral and of course I later taped over it.

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/11/06 at 9:59 pm

I know what you mean. Unfortunately, that Rugrats tape has been the only one I've found so far. And found it over a year ago. I better keep looking.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/11/06 at 10:01 pm

I still have my tape of the 1997 world series, some stuff from 1999. I have some movies taped off Pay Per View as well. Plus all the home videos I made from 1996-1999.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/11/06 at 10:13 pm

I still have my tape of the 1997 world series, some stuff from 1999. I have some movies taped off Pay Per View as well. Plus all the home videos I made from 1996-1999.

Yeah, I remember having a ton of tapes from 1999, because I literally taped EVERY episode of WWF Raw from June 1999 - December 1999.  Unfortunately though, 99% of those tapes were mixed in with that stash I threw away some 4 or 5 years ago.  I only have 2 tapes left from my 1999 Wrestling Stash, and they are both from October 1999

There is nothing more satisfying to me than seeing an old commercial from the '90s, especially around the 1993-1996 era.  Such Innocent commercials  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/12/06 at 1:41 am

I am, I loved my '90s childhood.

Same here - I always loved the 1990-95/early '96 era almost as much as the '80s (although, part of my '90s nostalgia is sort of '80s centered as well -- i.e. playing NES up through 1994, or watching old school stuff on VH1 in 1992, etc).

Around the middle of '96, I moved to San Jose, and that Summer, I started High school, so that's when I started feeling more like a teenager and less "kid"like. Sure, I also always liked certain pop cultural things/experiences from mid 1996-99, but it tended to take me a teeny bit longer to absorb them as much. For example, I used to do assistant janitorial stuff as my first "job" after school, and I remember one of the hits stations was usually on, that's when I really got familarized with songs like "Ironic" by Alanis Morisette. So I was getting into 1995 songs in 1997. Or I warmed up to the Backstreet Boys by 1999.

That's more how I've been to most pop culture actually, since I was 14ish or so. I'm now really digging 2003 as of late (and I swore I'd never be nostalgic for it either). ;D

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 05/12/06 at 4:59 am

I enjoyed most of the 90's as they happened, but never thought I'd be crazy nostalgic over them. I guess this decade is so bad, I've become big on nostalgia of the 90's.

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/12/06 at 1:35 pm

I'm trying to remember when I became interested in the '90s. I've been like that for awhile, but I didn't become what I am today until about a year ago. Sometime today, I'm going to try again and find some old tapes from the '90s (1993-1996) that haven't been tapped over. I found one tape awhile back labled "Fintstones Christmas". I figured it was probably recorded in that time frame. Well, I stuck it in the VCR and it was an episode of Arthur from PBS that I recored sometime around 1998 or 1999. Obviously, no commercials.

Written By: 1993 on 05/13/06 at 12:00 am

I'm more of an early 90's nostalgic, it was truly the end of the "simpler times" technology and culture wise. We've come so far between 1992 and 2006, never has a bridge been so wide between decades.

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/13/06 at 12:02 am

In my book, I've always considered the early '90s to be 1992-Pieces of 1994.

Written By: rich1981 on 05/13/06 at 10:54 pm

As I have stopped attending school last year, I am reflecting more on my middle school and high school years which lasted until 1999, especially concerning as I recall classic Nintendo gaming and Nick toons.

Written By: nondiva234 on 05/13/06 at 11:19 pm

I'm a 90's child and therefore I'm a 90's nostalgic. I loved the Spice Girls so much! I remember their movie, and all their hot merchandise! They were so cool! Hehe... I was also a huge Barney and Friends fan! I still have episodes I taped (actually, my mom taped for me). So exciting, and so lovable!

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/14/06 at 8:47 pm

I'm a 90's child and therefore I'm a 90's nostalgic. I loved the Spice Girls so much! I remember their movie, and all their hot merchandise! They were so cool! Hehe... I was also a huge Barney and Friends fan! I still have episodes I taped (actually, my mom taped for me). So exciting, and so lovable!

Funny enough, I actually like SG now more than when they were actually popular, do you feel that way at all? Well, I actually liked the song "Wannabe", but I would've been too embarrased to admit it (I thought I was too old for it then). ;D

Of the five, I think I like Mel C. the most - recently, I saw a clip on YouTube of her appearing on Jerry Springer's late night show (believe it or not, he actually hosts his own Tonight Show-esque TV show in the UK) in 2000.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/15/06 at 2:40 pm

Hmm.. Intresting you have about as many tapes as I do. I've been lucky enough to find tapes from:

June 1989-USA
August 1990-CBS
September 1993-ABC
March 1994-Fox Kids
April 1994-USA
May 1994-NBC
September 1997-ABC
Feburary 1998-CBS

These tapes have led me to the conclusion that 00's commercials are really stupid.

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/15/06 at 4:31 pm

Hmm.. Intresting you have about as many tapes as I do. I've been lucky enough to find tapes from:

June 1989-USA
August 1990-CBS
September 1993-ABC
March 1994-Fox Kids
April 1994-USA
May 1994-NBC
September 1997-ABC
Feburary 1998-CBS

These tapes have led me to the conclusion that 00's commercials are really stupid.

You've got that right. The past few days, I've been rummaging through old tapes to find some more '90s commercials. A year ago, I found my 8 hour Rugrats Marathon I recorded on my fifth birthday on 11/27/1994. I found a few tapes from around 1997, but they weren't kid commercials.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/15/06 at 4:32 pm

I have some nostalgia for the '90s, especially the early '90s. The late '90s are slowly feeling that way, too, but it's still too soon to feel super nostalgic for 1998 or 1999. I'll have to give that another 5 years or so before I start missing stuff from that time.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/15/06 at 4:33 pm

I have some nostalgia for the '90s, especially the early '90s. The late '90s are slowly feeling that way, too, but it's still too soon to feel super nostalgic for 1998 or 1999. I'll have to give that another 5 years or so before I start missing stuff from that time.

You're more a 1990-1994 nostalgic right? I'm sort of an up-to-1998 nostalgic, although it's really more 1994-1997.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/15/06 at 4:37 pm

You're more a 1990-1994 nostalgic right? I'm sort of an up-to-1998 nostalgic, although it's really more 1994-1997.

I suppose so, as I have more "child" memories from those years than I do towards the late 90's when I became a teenager and everything seems to change. I still feel some nostalgia for like certain TV programs that use to air at that time but no longer do. I feel nostalgic for just being a carefree teenager when I didn't have to work 5 days a week like I do now (although I started working in 1999).

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/15/06 at 4:38 pm

I suppose so, as I have more "child" memories from those years than I do towards the late 90's when I became a teenager and everything seems to change. I still feel some nostalgia for like certain TV programs that use to air at that time but no longer do. I feel nostalgic for just being a carefree teenager when I didn't have to work 5 days a week like I do now (although I started working in 1999).

I think I'm really going to feel "out of place" in the 2010s. I already do, to some extent.

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/15/06 at 4:42 pm

I was a child throughout the whole '90s. I was 1 month old on January 1, 1990 and 10 years old on December 31, 1999. My favorite memories are 1993-1996.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/15/06 at 4:50 pm

I think I'm really going to feel "out of place" in the 2010s. I already do, to some extent.

You may. A lot of kids who were born in 2000 will be heading toward their 10th or 11th years and they'll start "reminiscing" somewhat about their childhoods around 2014 and you'll be like, "Well, back in my day"  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/15/06 at 4:52 pm

You may. A lot of kids who were born in 2000 will be heading toward their 10th or 11th years and they'll start "reminiscing" somewhat about their childhoods around 2014 and you'll be like, "Well, back in my day"  ;D

;D

Would you say as a 1990er, I can call the second half of the '90s (like say 1994-1999) as part of my time?  I feel my "home time" is about 1994 to 2003.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/15/06 at 4:57 pm

;D

Would you say as a 1990er, I can call the second half of the '90s (like say 1994-1999) as part of my time?  I feel my "home time" is about 1994 to 2003.

Of course. I mean, if you can remember stuff from that time, then those memories are yours and that time belongs to you just as it would anyone else. I mean, it's really too bad we can't remember stuff from the day we're born, but I guess that's kinda nice because I'd hate to have to remember wearing diapers and stuff. That'd be gross.  ;D

I remember going to my Uncles ranch and playing there on the 4th of July, but I never remembered what year it was because it was such a small fragment of a memory. Probably one of my very first clear memories. So, I ran across an old photo album which had photos from this event and they were dated July 1985. I was SO amazed I remembered this from only being 3 years old and a few months. It was interesting and strange.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/15/06 at 4:59 pm

Of course. I mean, if you can remember stuff from that time, then those memories are yours and that time belongs to you just as it would anyone else. I mean, it's really too bad we can't remember stuff from the day we're born, but I guess that's kinda nice because I'd hate to have to remember wearing diapers and stuff. That'd be gross.  ;D

I remember going to my Uncles ranch and playing there on the 4th of July, but I never remembered what year it was because it was such a small fragment of a memory. Probably one of my very first clear memories. So, I ran across an old photo album which had photos from this event and they were dated July 1985. I was SO amazed I remembered this from only being 3 years old and a few months. It was interesting and strange.

I can probably remember back to 1993. 1992 at earliest, 1994 at latest.  I never really liked the '90s until a year or two ago.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/15/06 at 5:13 pm

I can probably remember back to 1993. 1992 at earliest, 1994 at latest.  I never really liked the '90s until a year or two ago.

That's cool. Usually those are more personal memories more than anything, then they just start building more and more as the years go on.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/15/06 at 11:01 pm

I was a child throughout the whole '90s. I was 1 month old on January 1, 1990 and 10 years old on December 31, 1999. My favorite memories are 1993-1996.

Yeah. I was 3 when the 90's started and turned 12 in 2000 so I spent my whole childhood in the 90's too. My main years for nostalgia from my childhood or about 1992-1997.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/16/06 at 1:00 am

I like them more now than when they were actually going on (well, up through '96 is still sort of my "home time"). I'm more talking about the 1997-2001ish era. At the time, I may have slightly resented 1997 because it wasn't 1989 or 1992 anymore, but now I can look at it on its own merit, if that makes any sense.

BTW, despite my MASSIVE love for the '80s, I probably consider 1992/93-96 the peak of my "home" time, just on a personal level. That was when I got into alot of TV shows and other stuff all on my own.

Plus, the '90s were cool for me personally just 'cause not only were they pretty vibrant and changing, but so was I. Heck, I was age 8-17/18 - that's a freakin' huge difference! ;)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 5:36 am

I've felt a bit outta place since 1999...if that isn't the mark of a true-blue 90s Nostalgic, don't know what is!

Check for new replies or respond here...