inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Feel Good" Songs of the '90s

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/11/06 at 11:03 pm

What are your "Feel Good" Songs of the '90s?  Those songs that just take you back to your childhood or just make you feel good inside from the '90s?

For me, I've got a couple

1: "Life Is A Highway" by Tom Cochrane (1992)  Music Video -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkgTMzi1Ims ]

This song always gives me that Good Feeling inside, especially about the '90s.  It just feels like that kind of song you would listen to while driving down a highway on a Saturday Afternoon with the Top Down  ;D

2: "Return To Innocence" by Enigma (1994)  Music Video -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNdGAObGrVw ]

The song title fits it well, because when you hear this song, it literally is like a Return to Innocence, a return to your childhood in the '90s.  And it was so fitting that this song was popular around the Spring/Summer of 1994, a great time in my childhood

Subject: Re: "Feel Good" Songs of the '90s

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/12/06 at 5:45 am

"Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia.
"The Way."

Written By: 1993 on 05/12/06 at 11:18 am

Mighty Mighty Bosstones - "The Impression That I Get"

Smashmouth - "All Star"

Hootie and the Blowfish - "Hold My Hand" and various other lame golf rock songs they put out.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/12/06 at 2:27 pm

As time goes on, more and more of them seem like "feelgood/happy" songs. But I think the early and late parts of the decade had the most of them. The early '90s, of course, because it was still late '80s-influenced (decently until mid 1991, and even vaguely through late 1992/early '93), and the late '90s because it was the teenpop era.

A few offhand:

The Sign - Ace of Base
When I Come Around - Green Day
Under the Bridge - RHCP (despite the rap/alt rock stylings, it always kinda seemed happy in its own way, to me)
Kiss From a Rose - Seal
I Touch Myself - Divynyls
Torn - Natalie Imbruglia
Follow You Down - Gin Blossoms
To Be With You - Mr. Big (more of an '80s power ballad holdover, with some "90sness")

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/12/06 at 2:31 pm

The Sign: Ace of Base (My Theme Song See my Name for Reason)
Ordinary World: Duran Duran
Come Undone: Duran Duran
Can't Help Falling in Love: UB40

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/12/06 at 2:49 pm

The Sign: Ace of Base (My Theme Song See my Name for Reason)
Ordinary World: Duran Duran
Come Undone: Duran Duran
Can't Help Falling in Love: UB40

Oh Yes, I remember these songs very well.  Both were actually #1 Hits in America too ("The Sign" in March 1994 and "Can't Help Falling In Love" in July 1993)

I just thought of another "Feel Good" song.

"The World I Know" by Collective Soul (1995) Music Video -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4v561dLjLY ]

I don't see how anyone could not mention this song when thinking about their "Feel Good Songs of the '90s".  This one is a Major one.  In one sense, it's a Depressing song, but in another sense, it's a Happy song.  But it's the Music Video that really makes the Song. Check it out

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/12/06 at 3:07 pm

Actually, Jennifer Lopez's 1999ish stuff and Lou Bega now feel like "feel good" late '90s songs.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/12/06 at 5:53 pm

Actually, Jennifer Lopez's 1999ish stuff and Lou Bega now feel like "feel good" late '90s songs.

That first Jennifer Lopez song "If You Had My Love" (Or whatever it was called) Sucked horribly.  Everytime I heard that song, I wanted to rip my ears off of my head

"Waiting For Tonight" was catchy though

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/12/06 at 6:02 pm

That first Jennifer Lopez song "If You Had My Love" (Or whatever it was called) Sucked horribly.  Everytime I heard that song, I wanted to rip my ears off of my head

"Waiting For Tonight" was catchy though

Yeah, "Waiting for Tonight" makes me remember the Y2K era around when I was in 4th grade. Same with any Christina Aguilera song or "Smooth." Anything on Now 1, Now 2, or Now 3, the Nows I had, Celine Dion, "Candle in the Wind", "Unbreak My Heart", the Macarena, Everclear, Oasis, Cher's "Believe", and Madonna's "Ray of Light" makes me remember my childhood in the late '90s.

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/12/06 at 6:05 pm

Yeah, "Waiting for Tonight" makes me remember the Y2K era around when I was in 4th grade. Same with any Christina Aguilera song or "Smooth." Anything on Now 1, Now 2, or Now 3, the Nows I had, Celine Dion, "Candle in the Wind", "Unbreak My Heart", the Macarena, Everclear, Oasis, Cher's "Believe", and Madonna's "Ray of Light" makes me remember my childhood in the late '90s.

Yeah, I was in 4th grade too in the Y2K era. I remember a lot of my female classmates were crazy over those kind of songs, but I usually listened to oldies like the Beatles etc. Still do actually,  but I've extended into the '80s and '90s.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/12/06 at 6:09 pm

Yeah, I was in 4th grade too in the Y2K era. I remember a lot of my female classmates were crazy over those kind of songs, but I usually listened to oldies like the Beatles etc. Still do actually,  but I've extended into the '80s and '90s.

I sort of liked some of it, but I listened to Tori Amos, Madonna, and oldies at home.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/12/06 at 6:13 pm

I was in 4th grade too in the Y2K era

You Lucky Guys.  4th Grade was a Fun Grade for me (I don't know why, but I remember it not being that Hard at all), of course though, i spent by 4th Grade in Late 1996/Early 1997 during the "Macarena" craze

I had the absolute worst time of my life toward the Y2K era.  I was in the 7th Grade and it was just Hell for me.  I ended up failing 7th grade that year  :(

Written By: sonikuu on 05/12/06 at 6:21 pm

Spin Doctors - Two Princes
Third Eye Blind - Semi Charmed Life (is it just me or does this song sound kind of like Two Princes a little bit?)
Gin Blossoms - Hey Jealousy
Barenaked Ladies - One Week

There's some feel good songs not mentioned in this topic yet.  There were a lot happy songs in the 90s (Red Hot Chili Peppers made a ton) but to me, there's a difference between a "feel good" song and a happy song.  I can't really describe the difference though, it's just that they feel different to me in some way.  Most of my feel good songs are light, catchy, and fun though.  What's strange is that I like "One Week" now when I didn't really care for it back in the 90's.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/12/06 at 6:27 pm

Spin Doctors - Two Princes
Third Eye Blind - Semi Charmed Life (is it just me or does this song sound kind of like Two Princes a little bit?)
Gin Blossoms - Hey Jealousy
Barenaked Ladies - One Week

There's some feel good songs not mentioned in this topic yet.  There were a lot happy songs in the 90s (Red Hot Chili Peppers made a ton) but to me, there's a difference between a "feel good" song and a happy song.  I can't really describe the difference though, it's just that they feel different to me in some way.  Most of my feel good songs are light, catchy, and fun though.  What's strange is that I like "One Week" now when I didn't really care for it back in the 90's.

God, I knew I was forgetting some songs  ;D

Spin Doctors - "Two Princes" (1993)
Third Eye Blind - "Semi-Charmed Life" (1997)
Gin Blossoms - "Hey Jealousy" (1993)

It's funny, because the beginning of both songs do sound very similar in a way.  I remember going to a "Waffle House" back in the Spring of 1993 around the time when my baby cousin was born and I remember hearing "Two Princes" for the first time.  That is definately one of those songs that when you hear it, you automatically think of the '90s, and vice versa

"Semi-Charmed Life" is definately one of my favorites.  And I consider this to be the "Anthem" of the '90s.  It's like that one song that screams "'90s" to you.  That was a very popular song during the Summer of 1997.  Many people today consider it to be "The Song of the '90s"

"Hey Jealousy" I remember hearing alot in Late 1993.  Brings back great memories from when I first started paying attention to popular music.  I remember when I was a kid and I would hear this song, I used to always think he was saying "Hey Chelsea!".  Like he was singing to some chick named Chelsea  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/12/06 at 9:18 pm

Ah, so many good memories of the 90s are captured and emblemised in those songs.

Semi-Charmed Kind of Life is a definite classic; though it was so overplayed in the 90s I'm still stick of it.

'Torn/Wishin' I Was There' were played to death in 1998; I also remember 'Leaving Home' by Jebediah, 'Beautiful Stranger' by Madonna.

I couldn't really pick a few, so many to choose from.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/12/06 at 9:23 pm

How's It Gonna Be- Third Eye Blind
Sex and Candy- Marcy Playground
Anything from Hootie and the Blowfish or Sugar Ray
Run-Around- Blues Traveler

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/12/06 at 9:27 pm

You Lucky Guys.  4th Grade was a Fun Grade for me (I don't know why, but I remember it not being that Hard at all), of course though, i spent by 4th Grade in Late 1996/Early 1997 during the "Macarena" craze

I had the absolute worst time of my life toward the Y2K era.  I was in the 7th Grade and it was just Hell for me.  I ended up failing 7th grade that year  :(

I was also in 7th grade at the turn of the millennium, it wasn't a great time for me either. 4th grade wasn't too bad, but that was the first year when I started to dislike school, lol.

Written By: SpaceHog on 05/15/06 at 9:12 am

Even though I was born in 1988, these are feel good 90's songs for me:

Just a friend-Biz Markie
Life is a highway-Tom Cochrane
Too many walls-Cathy Dennis
Rythym is a dancer-Snap!
Pump up the jam-Technotronic
More an More-Captain Hollywood project
Money talks- Adventures of Stevie V.
River of Deceit-Mad Season
In the meantime-Spacehog
standing outside a broken phonebooth with money in my hand- PRG
Unbelievable-EMF
Please Don't Go- KWS
What is love?-Haddaway
Here Comes the hotstepper- Ini Kamoze
Informer-Snow
Love is on the way-Saigon Kick
House of Pain-Faster Pussycat
He's Mine- Mokenstef
Jump-Kris Kross
I Gotta man- Positive K.
3 little pigs- Green Jelly.
I've got the power!- Snap!
3 AM Eternal- KLF
Another Night- Real McCoy
I'll Take you there- General Public
I'm Free- Soup Dragons
Baby I love your way- Big Mountain
Baby I love your way- Will2power
Impulsive- Wilson Phillips
Jump Around- House of Pain
Be My lover-Labouche
Mr. Vain- Culture Beat
Poison- BBD
Candy Girl- New Edition
Gettin' Jiggy Wit it- Will Smith
MIB- Will Smith
Miami- Will Smith
Just wanna hold you- Jasmine Guy
Til your love comes back around- RTZ
Face the music- RTZ
Pure- Lightning Seeds
Ditty- Paperboy
Pop goes the weasel- 3d Bass
One more try- Timmy T.
I got 5 on it- Luniz
Legend of a cow girl- Inni koppola
Naked Eye- Luscious Jackson

The list goes on, more later.

Check for new replies or respond here...