inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Those campy '90s clothes

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/12/06 at 2:49 pm

'90s and '00s hairstyles are almost the same, but the CLOTHES people wore in the '90s were much tackier.  Little kids wore tons of overalls, turtlenecks, etc., people of all ages wore neon and flannel, and EVERYONE WORE BLACK!

Subject: Re: Those campy '90s clothes

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/12/06 at 3:04 pm

Heya, '00s clothes can be pretty tacky, though everyone now loves the clothing and thinks it's so stylish, hip, and "aesthetically pleasing." Other campy-ass '90s things:

-Huge wraparound sunglasses that are very 1998.
-Backwards baseball caps and backwards clothing.
-Everyone wearing scrunchie buns.
-The really long, straight, dowdy denim skirts.
-Denim cut-off short shorts.
-M.C. Hammer pants.
-Huge, multicolored basketball sneakers.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/12/06 at 3:08 pm

I find slutwear to be rather cheesy, for the '00s.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/12/06 at 3:29 pm

That's more early '90s, by the mid '90s clothing become more "normal", lol. The late '90s were fairly plain fashion wise, and now the '00s are ultra preppy.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/12/06 at 3:31 pm

That's more early '90s, by the mid '90s clothing become more "normal", lol. The late '90s were fairly plain fashion wise, and now the '00s are ultra preppy.

Yeah but they weren't really '00s like. I can even date late '90s clothes.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/12/06 at 3:33 pm

well yea they are different, I can date late '90s clothes as well.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/12/06 at 3:34 pm

well yea they are different, I can date late '90s clothes as well.

You're right though, they are "normal" looking. '00s clothes are arguably campier than late '90s clothes.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/12/06 at 3:36 pm

I think fashion got very normal in the late '90s and then camped-up into the preppie emo slut '00s.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/12/06 at 3:37 pm

You're right though, they are "normal" looking. '00s clothes are arguably campier than late '90s clothes.

That was my point actually, people are more showy with fashion nowadays, so many people wear the OCish preppy look. The '00s look really sticks out, of course so does the circa 1997 bowl cut with jacket tied around the waste look.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/12/06 at 3:46 pm

That was my point actually, people are more showy with fashion nowadays, so many people wear the OCish preppy look. The '00s look really sticks out, of course so does the circa 1997 bowl cut with jacket tied around the waste look.

There are two late '90s looks that stick out. The nu metal look is one (lots of ear piercings and tattoos, black, red Fred Durst hats, slogans), and the other is the blonde-spiked hair look.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/12/06 at 3:49 pm

There are two late '90s looks that stick out. The nu metal look is one (lots of ear piercings and tattoos, black, red Fred Durst hats, slogans), and the other is the blonde-spiked hair look.

Yea that's very 1999ish.

Written By: sonikuu on 05/12/06 at 6:29 pm

I know someone at school who still dresses in the Nu-Metal look.  Well, he's actually a mix of Nu-Metal and Hip-Hop.  He's a total loser.  When you're a white guy still dressing like Fred Durst while listening to Limp Bizkit and DMX, then you're just plain retarded.  Sadly, he's not the only one.  Nu-Metal seems to be the music style of choice for the losers at my school.  They're basically five or six years behind the times since they like Smashmouth and Lit as well.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/12/06 at 6:46 pm

I know someone at school who still dresses in the Nu-Metal look.  Well, he's actually a mix of Nu-Metal and Hip-Hop.  He's a total loser.  When you're a white guy still dressing like Fred Durst while listening to Limp Bizkit and DMX, then you're just plain retarded.  Sadly, he's not the only one.  Nu-Metal seems to be the music style of choice for the losers at my school.  They're basically five or six years behind the times since they like Smashmouth and Lit as well.

Yeah, the "outcasts" love nu metal.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/12/06 at 9:06 pm

I could probably date anything pre-1996, since I don't fashion very closely at all. My interest is probably more in the music/pop culture area.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/12/06 at 9:08 pm

Yes, I remember both from the late 90s. They were very much part of the punk/nu-metal/skateboarding crew...those and the wannabe rappers/break-dances.

Check for new replies or respond here...