inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Official Candy/Food/Drink of the '90s

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/12/06 at 11:40 pm

What do you think is the candy/food/drink of the '90s? I sort of want to say Ring Pops, Whistle Pops, and Push Pops for candy. They seemed to be big in the early-mid '90s. For drinks, I'd say Nestle Quik (Pre-Nesquik).

Subject: Re: Official Candy/Food/Drink of the '90s

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/12/06 at 11:52 pm

Oh hey, I remember Push pops! Those were the shiznit, yo. :D ;D

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/12/06 at 11:55 pm

Correction on my last post. I think they were Melody Pops. Not Whistle Pops.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/13/06 at 4:18 am

Push Pops...there was also a revival of that fizzy candy. Space rocks or something, I forgot what they called it.

Also 7up and Root-Beer. Do they still have 7up in the US? Haven't seen it in yonks.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/13/06 at 6:53 am

-Ring Pops.
-Gatorade.
-Fruit Roll-Ups.
-Lunchables.
-Dunkeroos.

Written By: audkal on 05/13/06 at 9:52 am

there was also a revival of that fizzy candy. Space rocks or something, I forgot what they called it.

Are you thinking of Pop Rocks?  Pop Rocks are awesome!!   :D

I think the 90s was like the decade for fruit snacks: Gushers, Fruit Roll-Ups, Fruit by the Foot, String Thing, etc.  Loved them all.

Also, "Surge" was a pop in the 90s.  It was just like Mountain Dew with extra caffeine.  They stopped making it after like 4 years I think.....

http://www.insulators.com/news/images/surge2.gif

Do they still have 7up in the US? Haven't seen it in yonks.

Yup, the US still has 7up.  Actually, now we also have new ones called "7up Plus" that were released in 2004.  It's got a little bit of real fruit juice, calcium, Vitamin C, it's sweetened with Splenda and it's caffeine-free.  There are 3 flavors: Cherry, Mixed Berry, and Island Fruit.  I tried Mixed Berry; unfortunately, it doesn't taste that great.  And I bet the nutritional benefit isn't really that much either.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/stories/2004/sep/24/7_7up24_09-24-2004_BD2KQL9.jpg

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/13/06 at 3:28 pm

What about Snapple?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/13/06 at 3:53 pm

What about Snapple?

Yeah, Snapple is uber-'90s.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/13/06 at 4:00 pm

What about Snapple?

Yes! I used to always drink snapple in the '90s.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/13/06 at 4:01 pm

Are you thinking of Pop Rocks?  Pop Rocks are awesome!!  :D

I think the 90s was like the decade for fruit snacks: Gushers, Fruit Roll-Ups, Fruit by the Foot, String Thing, etc.  Loved them all.

Also, "Surge" was a pop in the 90s.  It was just like Mountain Dew with extra caffeine.  They stopped making it after like 4 years I think.....

http://www.insulators.com/news/images/surge2.gif

Yup, the US still has 7up.  Actually, now we also have new ones called "7up Plus" that were released in 2004.  It's got a little bit of real fruit juice, calcium, Vitamin C, it's sweetened with Splenda and it's caffeine-free.  There are 3 flavors: Cherry, Mixed Berry, and Island Fruit.  I tried Mixed Berry; unfortunately, it doesn't taste that great.  And I bet the nutritional benefit isn't really that much either.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/stories/2004/sep/24/7_7up24_09-24-2004_BD2KQL9.jpg

I drank a lot of surge in the late '90s.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/13/06 at 7:15 pm

I Loved "Surge", and there was another drink similar alled "Kick!" that only lasted for like 2 years in the Mid '90s

But for Candy, how about "Warheads" (Remember those great sour candies?)

Drinks, how about "Mondo's", "Sunny Delight", "Hawaiin Punch"

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/13/06 at 8:15 pm

I Loved "Surge", and there was another drink similar alled "Kick!" that only lasted for like 2 years in the Mid '90s

But for Candy, how about "Warheads" (Remember those great sour candies?)

Drinks, how about "Mondo's", "Sunny Delight", "Hawaiin Punch"

"Hawaiian Punch" was huge in the '90s, I remember...so was Kool-Aid. Also Cap'n Crunch was pretty big.

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/13/06 at 9:26 pm

I vaguely remember the Hawaiian Punch commercials from the early-mid '90s. It had the mascot and some bigger guy who would always have the last line. I might be wrong.

Do they still make Melody Pops? I'm not sure.

I now want some Ring Pops and some Push Pops.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/14/06 at 12:46 am

Weren't "Melody Pops" a Late '90s thing?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/14/06 at 1:58 am

I vaguely remember the Hawaiian Punch commercials from the early-mid '90s. It had the mascot and some bigger guy who would always have the last line. I might be wrong.

Do they still make Melody Pops? I'm not sure.

I now want some Ring Pops and some Push Pops.

c. 1993-1995, I loved Ring Pops, then they discontinued them and I was devastated.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/14/06 at 2:11 am

"Butterfinger" Candy Bar

"Twizzlers"

"Goldfish" Crackers

"Combo's" Crackers

"Junior Mints"

"Gatorade"

"Hi-C" Pouches

"Crystal Pepsi"  :D

"Big League Chew" (Early/Mid '90s)

"Candy Cigarette's"

"Bubble Tape"

"Blow Pop" Suckers

"Juicy Fruit" Gum

"Doritos" Chips

"Cheetos"

Thoese one candy things where you had a White Candy Stick thingy and you licked it and then you dipped it in different flavored powders in pouches

"Sweet Tarts"

"Lifesavers"

"Yoohoo" Chocolate Milk

"Lunchables"

"Pop Quiz Popcorn"

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/14/06 at 2:12 am

"Butterfinger" Candy Bar

"Twizzlers"

"Goldfish" Crackers

"Combo's" Crackers

"Junior Mints"

"Gatorade"

"Hi-C" Pouches

"Crystal Pepsi"  :D

"Big League Chew" (Early/Mid '90s)

"Candy Cigarette's"

"Bubble Tape"

"Blow Pop" Suckers

"Juicy Fruit" Gum

"Doritos" Chips

"Cheetos"

Thoese one candy things where you had a White Candy Stick thingy and you licked it and then you dipped it in different flavored powders in pouches

"Sweet Tarts"

"Lifesavers"

"Yoohoo" Chocolate Milk

"Lunchables"

"Pop Quiz Popcorn"

Wow this list brings back so many memories.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/14/06 at 2:14 am

Wow this list brings back so many memories.

Yeah, it really does...the '90s were so much more of a "snack food" sort of decade.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/14/06 at 2:15 am

Yeah, it really does...the '90s were so much more of a "snack food" sort of decade.

Butterfinger is sooooo '90s, lol.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/14/06 at 2:15 am

Oh yeah, and also "Now n' Laters" (Remember those little square taffy's?)

And "Jolly Rancher"

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/14/06 at 2:16 am

Oh yeah, and also "Now n' Laters" (Remember those little square taffy's?)

And "Jolly Rancher"

Oh yea definitely.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/14/06 at 2:18 am

Also, that Bubble Gum that had a "Funny Cartoon" in the wrapper.  Anyone remember the name of that Gum?  Wasn't it "Bazooka"?

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/14/06 at 2:19 am

Also, that Bubble Gum that had a "Funny Cartoon" in the wrapper.  Anyone remember the name of that Gum?  Wasn't it "Bazooka"?

Yea that's it I believe.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/14/06 at 2:19 am

"Bazooka Joe" gum, it's probably been around for about a century.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/14/06 at 2:24 am

And then of course there is my personal favorite candy of the '90s.  "Warheads" Sour Candy

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5m2g2mZEg28AUbejzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBsaDc3OWcxBHNlYwNwcm9mBHZ0aWQDSTA2Ml84NA--/SIG=134f7lstu/EXP=1147677728/**http%3a//www.oldtimeconfection.com/warheads%2520assorted%2520new%2520packaging.jpg

Man, those things were easily the most sour candy's ever put on the Market.  After eating atleast 2 of them your mouth would be so sore.  I loved it so much, especially the Lemon flavored ones  8)

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/14/06 at 2:25 am

And then of course there is my personal favorite candy of the '90s.  "Warheads" Sour Candy

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5m2g2mZEg28AUbejzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBsaDc3OWcxBHNlYwNwcm9mBHZ0aWQDSTA2Ml84NA--/SIG=134f7lstu/EXP=1147677728/**http%3a//www.oldtimeconfection.com/warheads%2520assorted%2520new%2520packaging.jpg

Man, those things were easily the most sour candy's ever put on the Market.  After eating atleast 2 of them your mouth would be so sore.  I loved it so much, especially the Lemon flavored ones  8)

I still eat those occasionally, I do like the sour stuff.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/14/06 at 2:27 am

I still eat those occasionally, I do like the sour stuff.

You mean they STILL make them?  I haven't had one since like 1997

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/14/06 at 2:29 am

Oh yea, I've had them recently. They're not as popular anymore, but they're around, actually most of these candies are still around.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/14/06 at 2:44 am

Crystal Pepsi was such a letdown. They made a big deal of it and then it easily fizzled.. remember that commercial for it " Right Now"  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/14/06 at 9:35 am

Oh yes, Warheads, those bring back memories...

And Hubba Bubba bubblegum - that seemed more popular back then than now.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/14/06 at 10:32 am

Crystal Pepsi was such a letdown. They made a big deal of it and then it easily fizzled.. remember that commercial for it " Right Now"  ;D

I agree, it was a letdown....

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/14/06 at 1:29 pm

Yeah, sour candy was much bigger in the late '90s, but it is still around.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/14/06 at 2:57 pm

I agree, it was a letdown....

I remember first tasting it and thinking... "ewwww.."

Written By: SingBlueSilver on 05/15/06 at 9:11 am

How about Mentos?  They had those commercials where something crappy happened and the person it happened to ate a Mentos and overcame the obstacle.  I think the Foo Fighters even made a video based on the Mentos commercials.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/15/06 at 3:36 pm

Twix is very '90s. Butterfinger also.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/15/06 at 4:28 pm

Twix is very '90s. Butterfinger also.

Gosh, I use to be sooo bad with peanut butter Twix. After school we'd hit up our 7-Eleven and I'd get a slurpee, Twix, Reeses cups and a Symphony bar. Yeah, you bet I gained a few pounds from eating that everyday for a few months.  ;D 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/15/06 at 4:29 pm

Gosh, I use to be sooo bad with peanut butter Twix. After school we'd hit up our 7-Eleven and I'd get a slurpee, Twix, Reeses cups and a Symphony bar. Yeah, you bet I gained a few pounds from eating that everyday for a few months.  ;D 

;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/15/06 at 4:30 pm

I loved Milky Way back in the '90s. However by 1999 I'd shifted to 3 Musketeers  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/15/06 at 4:30 pm

;D

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/15/06 at 4:43 pm

You must remember one thing about Butterfinger. No one can lay a finger on my Butterfinger. ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/15/06 at 4:52 pm

You must remember one thing about Butterfinger. No one can lay a finger on my Butterfinger. ;D

We can thank Bart Simpson for that one  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/15/06 at 4:53 pm

We can thank Bart Simpson for that one  ;D

Remember the "Gimme a break ... gimme a piece of that Kit Kat bar" from the late '80s-mid '90s?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/15/06 at 4:59 pm

Remember the "Gimme a break ... gimme a piece of that Kit Kat bar" from the late '80s-mid '90s?

Oh yeah, we use to use that phrase/jingle a lot when we were kids. I think my mom has us on tape singing it (for whatever reason).

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/15/06 at 5:00 pm

Oh yeah, we use to use that phrase/jingle a lot when we were kids. I think my mom has us on tape singing it (for whatever reason).

Oh really, lol. When did they air those? Like 1987-1994?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/15/06 at 5:05 pm

Oh really, lol. When did they air those? Like 1987-1994?

Yeah, it was a fairly long ad campaign. It ran at least 3-4 years, probably between late '80s to very early '90s

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/15/06 at 5:06 pm

Yeah, it was a fairly long ad campaign. It ran at least 3-4 years, probably between late '80s to very early '90s

That's weird, because I lived in the same area as you, and I remember them. Is it possible it could be a stray memory from when I was 2 or something?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/15/06 at 5:14 pm

That's weird, because I lived in the same area as you, and I remember them. Is it possible it could be a stray memory from when I was 2 or something?

I may be thinking of the "original" ads, because they did have "newer" variations in the early to mid '90s, too.

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/15/06 at 9:34 pm

Here's a neat little treat. This is an old Ring Pop commercial from the '90s I found on Retro Junk. I don't remember this particular commercial, but I do remember the Ring Pop commercials of the '90s. Could somebody please tell me what year this commercial is from. I want to say 1992 or 1993.

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_commercial/145/

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/15/06 at 9:51 pm

Here's a neat little treat. This is an old Ring Pop commercial from the '90s I found on Retro Junk. I don't remember this particular commercial, but I do remember the Ring Pop commercials of the '90s. Could somebody please tell me what year this commercial is from. I want to say 1992 or 1993.

Wow, I actually remember that commercial.  I would say it's probably from 1992.  It looks rather dated and looks more "Early '90s"

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/16/06 at 1:48 am

This looks like 1990 or 1991. It really doesn't look like 1992. Those kids are probably all about my age now - weird!  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 5:38 am

I wish they'd re-make more of those old candies/chips.etc - even just as a 'Limited Edition' just for old times sake. I wonder if anyone here collected coke bottles, chip packets, confectionary packets, souvenirs/freebies.etc from the 90s? I have a few free sports cards.etc and a shruken chip packet, but unfortunately as a 6-year old I never realised the nostalgic (not to mention monetary) value of keeping them as keepsakes.  :(

Written By: Roadgeek on 06/11/06 at 1:32 pm

Here's what CandyCrate.com sells in their "1990's Basket". See if you agree. I think it's about right.

1990's: Bottle Pop, Starburst, Giant Smarties, Nerds, Pop Rocks, Runts, Sour Apple Bubble Tape, ShockTarts, Skittles, Push Pop, Ring Pop, Psycho Pops, Now & Laters, Jawbreakers, Lemonheads, Blow Pops Suckers, Airheads, Fun Dip, Jolly Ranchers, Sour Punch Twists, Sour Patch Kids, Appleheads, Bottle Pop, Tootsie Roll, Atomic Fire Balls and Giant Sweet Tarts.

Check for new replies or respond here...