inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sleaze and the '90s

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/14/06 at 9:00 pm

The '90s in retrospect definitely had a fair amount of sleaze, though the '80s and '00s have had flashier sleaze. I mean, think about it: Cops, America's Most Wanted, WWE Wrestling, Celebrity Deathmatch, violent TV programming, gangsta rap...underneath the calm, "thoughtful" surface of the '90s there was oh-so-much violence and paranoia about it.

Subject: Re: Sleaze and the '90s

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/14/06 at 11:19 pm

Yeah the '90s were very sleazy. No decade had more of an obsession with gore.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/14/06 at 11:30 pm

If the '70s had an obsession with sex (more than any other decade), the '90s had more of an obsession with gore.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 5:49 am

70s were probably worse...such an obsession with gratuitous violence, sex, maniacs, psychos, nymphos, sadomaschists, lesbian vampires (yes, there's actually a film entitled 'lesbo vampires' from the 70s!) transsexuals...you have to watch some of those old cult movies to realise it. Even Blaxploitation reeked of the underbelly of it all. Indeed, I can scarce imagine a film like 'Taxi Driver' being made by a well known director such as Sorsese today, least for the controversial issues it raises.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/16/06 at 12:59 pm

70s were probably worse...such an obsession with gratuitous violence, sex, maniacs, psychos, nymphos, sadomaschists, lesbian vampires (yes, there's actually a film entitled 'lesbo vampires' from the 70s!) transsexuals...you have to watch some of those old cult movies to realise it. Even Blaxploitation reeked of the underbelly of it all. Indeed, I can scarce imagine a film like 'Taxi Driver' being made by a well known director such as Sorsese today, least for the controversial issues it raises.

I've seen that lesbian vampire movie.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 1:01 pm

I've seen that lesbian vampire movie.

I myself haven't really seen it, just saw it at the video shop. What on earth was it about (apart from the obvious)?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 1:02 pm

I myself haven't really seen it, just saw it at the video shop. What on earth was it about (apart from the obvious)?

Have you seen Gayn*ggers from Outer Space, from 1992?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 1:30 pm

Have you seen Gayn*ggers from Outer Space, from 1992?

No, fraid it's not my cuppa tea. What did you think of it? Must've been an eye-opening experience...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 1:41 pm

No, fraid it's not my cuppa tea. What did you think of it? Must've been an eye-opening experience...

Never seen it. Just think the name's funny  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/16/06 at 3:47 pm

Two words..... Jerry Springer.  ::)

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/16/06 at 4:00 pm

I think it might be somewhere in my DVD collection, actually. I'm something of a British '60s/'70s and older, pre-war horror movie aficionado. Lesbian vampires.

But, back on topic! And I think I have seen "Gay******s from Outer Space."

Check for new replies or respond here...