inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most '90s music genre?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/15/06 at 3:51 pm

I'd say Grunge. Although for most popular, probably Gangsta rap, and for most exclusively '90s dance/rave/techno.

Subject: Re: Most '90s music genre?

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/15/06 at 4:00 pm

What is it with your all's obsession with "gangsta rap"?  Gangsta Rap may have started in the '90s, but it wasn't the most popular at all

Anyway, the most '90s music genre is that "Adult Contemporary Pop" kind of music (Alanis Morisssette, Celine Dion, Des'ree, Sheryl Crow, Wilson Phillips, etc..)

Also "R&B" was Huge in the '90s and pretty much dominated the charts the entire decade.  So it's a mix between "R&B" and "Adult Contemporary Pop"

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/15/06 at 4:15 pm

Pop/R&B ballads generally dominated the charts, so whatever that falls under.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/15/06 at 9:07 pm

However, R&B has been popular in every decade to one degree or another, it's more '60s/'70s than '90s even...

Definitely grunge. Though the Lilith Fair, grrl genre and angry grrl stuff like Liz Phair, PJ Harvey, etc. is quite '90s, and so is that C&C Music Factory type of music and the Whitney Houston/Celine Dion big vocal ballad genre.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/15/06 at 9:24 pm

I would also go with "Dance" Music.  I think the '90s has produced the most recognizable Dance Songs and Dance songs were pretty big in the '90s

I would say that between "Dance" and "Grunge" are the Genre's made most popular in the '90s

Although "R&B" was the Overall most popular genre of the decade

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/15/06 at 9:26 pm

However, R&B has been popular in every decade to one degree or another, it's more '60s/'70s than '90s even...

Definitely grunge. Though the Lilith Fair, grrl genre and angry grrl stuff like Liz Phair, PJ Harvey, etc. is quite '90s, and so is that C&C Music Factory type of music and the Whitney Houston/Celine Dion big vocal ballad genre.

That's true that grunge is pretty much a specifically '90s genre.

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/15/06 at 9:27 pm

I've always considered the '90s to be a hybrid decade. I chose other because what I like about the '90s is that the music is a variety. It has something for everyone. I think Grunge is a pretty '90s genre, but it's one of many '90s genres. My favorite would be the soft type like Ace of Base, Boyz II Men, etc.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/15/06 at 9:47 pm

I've always considered the '90s to be a hybrid decade. I chose other because what I like about the '90s is that the music is a variety. It has something for everyone. I think Grunge is a pretty '90s genre, but it's one of many '90s genres. My favorite would be the soft type like Ace of Base, Boyz II Men, etc.

You're Right.  That's what was so great about '90s Music was because it was all a Variety through the decade.  It had a mixture of each decade all rolled into one

Every other Decade seemed to revolve around one genre almost.  The '80s was pretty much complete POP and the '00s seems to be mostly Rap

But the '90s is a complete variety inside out

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/15/06 at 9:52 pm

You're Right.  That's what was so great about '90s Music was because it was all a Variety through the decade.  It had a mixture of each decade all rolled into one

Every other Decade seemed to revolve around one genre almost.  The '80s was pretty much complete POP and the '00s seems to be mostly Rap

But the '90s is a complete variety inside out

Yea there was a lot of variety in the '90s that we just do not see today as the charts are so hip-hop dominated. I like some hip-hop occasionally, but at some point you do get sick of hearing the same crap over and over all the time.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/15/06 at 9:59 pm

Yea there was a lot of variety in the '90s that we just do not see today as the charts are so hip-hop dominated. I like some hip-hop occasionally, but at some point you do get sick of hearing the same crap over and over all the time.

Rap was my first love of music.  The first song I remember hearing was "U Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer and I fell in love with it and the entire genre of Hip-Hop.  I remember a friend at school in Late 1994 giving me his "Bone Thugs N Harmony" Tape and I took that home and listened to it non-stop.  Since then I listened mostly to Rap.  I noticed though that good/decent Rap died after 2002 ended.  Now I just can't even turn on the Rap station. I've completely shifted to Rock Music ('90s Rock to be more specific)

I never listen to the Radio anymore.  I just put a whole bunch of '90s music on my iPod and listen to it when I want to hear music

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/15/06 at 10:05 pm

Rap was my first love of music.  The first song I remember hearing was "U Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer and I fell in love with it and the entire genre of Hip-Hop.  I remember a friend at school in Late 1994 giving me his "Bone Thugs N Harmony" Tape and I took that home and listened to it non-stop.  Since then I listened mostly to Rap.  I noticed though that good/decent Rap died after 2002 ended.  Now I just can't even turn on the Rap station. I've completely shifted to Rock Music ('90s Rock to be more specific)

I never listen to the Radio anymore.  I just put a whole bunch of '90s music on my iPod and listen to it when I want to hear music

There was a big change in 2003 definitely, it's when top 40 music started to go down the toilet big time. The first music I liked was REM actually, my mom had bought my older cousin the monster album (this was around 1995 or so), and I wanted it too so she got a copy for me and I spent a lot of time listening to "What's the Frequency Kenneth" and other songs on the album. Today I listen to a '90s/'00s mix of hip-hop, r&b, alternative/rock (including grunge, post-grunge, nu metal, and NO emo!) , and some pop.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/16/06 at 12:02 am

What is it with your all's obsession with "gangsta rap"?  Gangsta Rap may have started in the '90s, but it wasn't the most popular at all

Anyway, the most '90s music genre is that "Adult Contemporary Pop" kind of music (Alanis Morisssette, Celine Dion, Des'ree, Sheryl Crow, Wilson Phillips, etc..)

Also "R&B" was Huge in the '90s and pretty much dominated the charts the entire decade.  So it's a mix between "R&B" and "Adult Contemporary Pop"

Gangsta rap started around 1988.

Alanis Morrissette wasn't adult contemporary at ll.

R&B has been huge since the 50s. It's a decades long genre.

Grunge is the definitive genre of the early 90s and that poppy boy band/teen queen crap in the late 90s.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 5:41 am

In terms of what was playing on the RADIO, Dance-pop, followed closely by 'Adult Contempary' (as 5.19.86 said). To those who read music books.etc, it might seem that Grunge was such a huge thing - that is true to an extent, but the fact is only a few very well known Grunge bands got regular radio rotation, save a short period between 91-93. In contrast, Dance-pop like Ace of Base, Corona, Spice Girls, Aqua often composed as much as 60% of the charts in 1996 (look at the old compilations). People also think bands like Led Zep, the Pistols.etc must've had heaps of No. 1's back in the 70s, but truth is their 'cred' came from their live shows, and their sets on FM Radio. Most of the stuff was teen fluff in the vein of the Osmonds of the Partridge Family.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/16/06 at 1:02 pm

In terms of what was playing on the RADIO, Dance-pop, followed closely by 'Adult Contempary' (as 5.19.86 said). To those who read music books.etc, it might seem that Grunge was such a huge thing - that is true to an extent, but the fact is only a few very well known Grunge bands got regular radio rotation, save a short period between 91-93. In contrast, Dance-pop like Ace of Base, Corona, Spice Girls, Aqua often composed as much as 60% of the charts in 1996 (look at the old compilations). People also think bands like Led Zep, the Pistols.etc must've had heaps of No. 1's back in the 70s, but truth is their 'cred' came from their live shows, and their sets on FM Radio. Most of the stuff was teen fluff in the vein of the Osmonds of the Partridge Family.

Yeah, that's definitely true. Though I think grunge and indie rock a la Pavement/Beck/Liz Phair were the more important and significantly '90s genres, along with gangsta rap, since dance-pop has really been around since disco and "adult contemporary" is still around, though they were immensely popular on '90s radio. Along with smooth R&B. Smooth R&B is quite '90s.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 1:05 pm

Yeah, that's definitely true. Though I think grunge and indie rock a la Pavement/Beck/Liz Phair were the more important and significantly '90s genres, along with gangsta rap, since dance-pop has really been around since disco and "adult contemporary" is still around, though they were immensely popular on '90s radio. Along with smooth R&B. Smooth R&B is quite '90s.

What music journalism portrays as '90s music' often differs from what was heard on the charts. The airwaves were thick with A/C in 1997 and into 1998 - the last period when the charts were still sort of decent.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/16/06 at 4:02 pm

What music journalism portrays as '90s music' often differs from what was heard on the charts. The airwaves were thick with A/C in 1997 and into 1998 - the last period when the charts were still sort of decent.

Yeah, A/C was huge from like 1995-1998. The big A/C periods were the mid '70s, late '80s, and mid-late '90s.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 4:24 am

Yeah, A/C was huge from like 1995-1998. The big A/C periods were the mid '70s, late '80s, and mid-late '90s.

Do you personally prefer the rock dominated early 90s, or the 'softer rock' of the mid-late 90s?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/17/06 at 4:25 am

Do you personally prefer the rock dominated early 90s, or the 'softer rock' of the mid-late 90s?

Hmm...well, I like alot of early '90s rock (Liz Phair, Nirvana, etc.) to buy albums of, but I like the hits of the mid-late '90s soft rock. And I like mid-'90s indie rock alot.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 4:28 am

Hmm...well, I like alot of early '90s rock (Liz Phair, Nirvana, etc.) to buy albums of, but I like the hits of the mid-late '90s soft rock. And I like mid-'90s indie rock alot.

I still think 1997 was the best year for music in the 90s: just SO much good stuff, so many debuts by new bands (e.g. Coldplay, Travis.etc). The worst is probably 1999.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/17/06 at 5:43 am

I still think 1997 was the best year for music in the 90s: just SO much good stuff, so many debuts by new bands (e.g. Coldplay, Travis.etc). The worst is probably 1999.

Yeah, '99 was very bad. My personal favorites are probably 1991, 1994, and 1997.

Check for new replies or respond here...