inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did you first feel that the '90s were old?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/17/06 at 12:30 pm

I'd say when 1994 was 10 years ago is when I first felt the '90s felt old, because I can remember quite a few things from 1994.

Subject: Re: When did you first feel that the '90s were old?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/17/06 at 12:43 pm

Yeah, I'd say 2004.

Written By: Watcher29 on 05/17/06 at 4:47 pm

Realizing that the dog who was an adorable puppy in 1994 is an old dog now.
Realizing that it had been almost 10 years since my wedding. Good years, yes, but still...
Realizing that Windows 95 has been dead longer than it was alive.
Realizing it has been almost 20 years since I first entered college in the fall of 1989. That's longer than I had been alive up until that point.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/17/06 at 5:16 pm

Hmm, 1997-1998 was half my life ago and more than half my remembered life ago. Titanic came out half my life ago.
My cat, whom we got in 1996, is ten.
My parents are 51, they were 41 when we got my cat.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/17/06 at 5:24 pm

Probably whenever I watch Titanic.  I keep saying to myself, "I saw this movie the day after Christmas in '97 and it's damn near 10 years old now.  I was a sophomore in high school when it was released."

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/17/06 at 5:27 pm

Probably 2005, 1999 was now over 5 years ago and the '90s started to seem quite a while ago now.

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/17/06 at 5:46 pm

Well, time for a little story on how I became interested in the '90s.

It was February of 2005. My favorite mall Carolina Circle Mall was to be demolished that summer. So I rode down there with my camera and took some pictures of it. But we rode up to the main entrance of the mall and noticed that the doors had been busted down and you could actually see the inside of the mall. So I looked at it from the car with amazement. I got online the next day I think and found some more pictures of the inside of the mall someone took that same year. I kept on having memories of going there when I was little.

My interest in that mall sparked a chain reaction resulting in me finding an old 8 hour Rugrats marathon tape from 1994 a month later. I stuck it in the VCR and had even more memories. Earlier that month, I had bought a Packard Bell Windows 95 computer that was very similar to my first computer that I got in December of 1995.

That resulted in many more epiphanies and I am now a super '90s fanatic. A lot of times, I have very powerful random flashbacks of the '90s. I love them.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/17/06 at 6:43 pm

Probably whenever I watch Titanic.  I keep saying to myself, "I saw this movie the day after Christmas in '97 and it's damn near 10 years old now.  I was a sophomore in high school when it was released."

Yeah, I can still remember the exact day my mother and her friend dragged me to the Theater with them to see "Titanic".  I remember my friend's mother was driving me to my mother's job to drop me off there and on the way there, on the Radio they had announced that Chris Farley was found Dead  :(

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/17/06 at 7:03 pm

When I watch old episodes of "America's Funniest Videos" with Bob Saget and then the "newer" editions with Daisy Fuentes and that other dude (I can't remember his name).

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/17/06 at 8:20 pm

Yeah, I think that I first saw that when I was in 2nd grade and I'm a 10th grader now. It was like a huge deal that Kate Winslet was naked and some kid whose dad worked for some publishing company had the book with a picture of it, and got in trouble for bringing it into class. My mom was very into the movie, though she had a seizure there from the medication she was on, and she read all these books on the Titanic and become a Celine Dion fanatic.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/18/06 at 2:03 pm

My interest in that mall sparked a chain reaction resulting in me finding an old 8 hour Rugrats marathon tape from 1994 a month later. I stuck it in the VCR and had even more memories. Earlier that month, I had bought a Packard Bell Windows 95 computer that was very similar to my first computer that I got in December of 1995.

Same here. I first thought of the '90s being old when I saw a tape recorded off Fox kids from March 1994. That was in early 2005. Also since 1999 was six years previous the 90's had been over for over half a decade.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/18/06 at 4:22 pm

I can't even in my heart, call the '80s old ( ;D ), so I don't think I could do that with the '90s.

Seriously though, I'd say the latter half of '04 was when I started really missing them - especially realizing even '99 was 5 years ago, and that everyone I'd even gone to high school with (i.e. Freshman when I was a Senior) had graduated). Pop culturally though, late '05 was when they started feeling like they'd passed.

For instance, when Backstreet's comeback was shortlived, I realized even 1998ish stuff was "old school" in a sense (i.e. the 10-12 year old girls of '98 were, like 17-19, so they'd basically grown up and weren't as interested anymore).

Although, in general atmosphere, the 1997-2001 era is still kinda around, and in some slight ways, even back to 1994 is.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/18/06 at 4:43 pm

I can't even in my heart, call the '80s old ( ;D ), so I don't think I could do that with the '90s.

Seriously though, I'd say the latter half of '04 was when I started really missing them - especially realizing even '99 was 5 years ago, and that everyone I'd even gone to high school with (i.e. Freshman when I was a Senior) had graduated). Pop culturally though, late '05 was when they started feeling like they'd passed.

For instance, when Backstreet's comeback was shortlived, I realized even 1998ish stuff was "old school" in a sense (i.e. the 10-12 year old girls of '98 were, like 17-19, so they'd basically grown up and weren't as interested anymore).

Although, in general atmosphere, the 1997-2001 era is still kinda around, and in some slight ways, even back to 1994 is.

I was thinking today of how Color-Me-Badd was so popular of a "boy band" in the early '90s and then they fizzled very quickly within a year's time. Whenever I hear one of their songs, I can't help but feel that the '90s do "sound" old from time to time, compared to today.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/18/06 at 4:43 pm

Lately I've been getting nostalgic for the late '90s (in particular 1998-2000).  Movies like Night at the Roxbury seem rather dated today.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/18/06 at 4:44 pm

I was thinking today of how Color-Me-Badd was so popular of a "boy band" in the early '90s and then they fizzled very quickly within a year's time. Whenever I hear one of their songs, I can't help but feel that the '90s do "sound" old from time to time, compared to today.

In the US the boybands died around the end of 1991 and resurfaced in early 1997. Which is part of why I consider 1990 and most 1991 the late '80s musically.  2000 and most of '01 are late '90s musically for the same reason.

I wonder if teen pop will resurface in 2007?

Written By: 1993 on 05/18/06 at 4:56 pm

It happens in stages

By 1994...1990 felt old

By 1998/99...1994 felt old

And right about now 1999 is starting to feel a little old.

the last 15-16 years were a time of rapid change.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/18/06 at 9:10 pm

About 1997...

Strangely enough the 00s haven't started to feel 'old' yet, though 1999 is starting to feel old, whereas in 2003 it felt just like yesterday.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/18/06 at 9:45 pm

About 1997...

Strangely enough the 00s haven't started to feel 'old' yet, though 1999 is starting to feel old, whereas in 2003 it felt just like yesterday.

To me anything prior to the summer of 2001 seems like a long time ago.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/18/06 at 9:47 pm

Even the early '00s, the whole Linkin Park/JLo era, is starting to seem a long time ago, because it's already pretty passe. Nobody cares about JLo anymore...that's just weird. I would say the current era is about the summer of '03 on for me.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/18/06 at 9:48 pm

Even the early '00s, the whole Linkin Park/JLo era, is starting to seem a long time ago, because it's already pretty passe. Nobody cares about JLo anymore...that's just weird. I would say the current era is about the summer of '03 on for me.

I think the next 'age' will begin late this year/2007, the next stage on. 2001-2004 was the hip-hop/early emo era, 2004-2007 the emo/progressive rock era. Just wondering what 2007+ will bring.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/18/06 at 9:49 pm

For me it's spring 2003, once 50 Cent and Sean Paul became popular that began the current era for me.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/18/06 at 10:53 pm

In the US the boybands died around the end of 1991 and resurfaced in early 1997. Which is part of why I consider 1990 and most 1991 the late '80s musically.  2000 and most of '01 are late '90s musically for the same reason.

I wonder if teen pop will resurface in 2007?

I think Color Me Badd held out until mid-1992, as I remember several of their hits being played over that winter, spring and part of the summer. But, within just a few months, they were almost unheard of. It was very strange. Just as it turned over to 1993 is when the gansta rap thing started coming about. That was a very strange progression to see Gansta rap from being Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre and then becoming this HUGE movement in music which still has a tight hold on the charts today.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/18/06 at 10:55 pm

I think Color Me Badd held out until mid-1992, as I remember several of their hits being played over that winter, spring and part of the summer. But, within just a few months, they were almost unheard of. It was very strange. Just as it turned over to 1993 is when the gansta rap thing started coming about. That was a very strange progression to see Gansta rap from being Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre and then becoming this HUGE movement in music which still has a tight hold on the charts today.

So would you say in a way even 1992 was partially Eighties?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/18/06 at 10:55 pm

Gangsta rap is basically dead now, what's huge now is the "glam rap" stuff, which is descended from gangsta rap in some ways but has a very different attitude.

Yeah, I think it was spring-summer 2003...though the whole emoness became noticeable by late 2003.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/18/06 at 11:09 pm

So would you say in a way even 1992 was partially Eighties?

Well, Color Me Badd was a '90s boy band. They didn't have any hits that I know of prior to 1991. They don't sound quite '80s or quite '90s. Parts of '92 you could say resembled the '80s in a small way.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/18/06 at 11:11 pm

Well, Color Me Badd was a '90s boy band. They didn't have any hits that I know of prior to 1991. They don't sound quite '80s or quite '90s. Parts of '92 you could say resembled the '80s in a small way.

Yeah, I think '92 was less '80s than '02 was Y2Kish, though.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/18/06 at 11:12 pm

Yeah, I think '92 was less '80s than '02 was Y2Kish, though.

The '90s really began around mid-1991 ... however the Eighties world existed up to 1992.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/18/06 at 11:16 pm

Gangsta rap is basically dead now, what's huge now is the "glam rap" stuff, which is descended from gangsta rap in some ways but has a very different attitude.

Yeah, I think it was spring-summer 2003...though the whole emoness became noticeable by late 2003.

Gangsta, like the hard core Dr. Dre stuff appears to be gone, but I still hear it "boom booming" on the streets. I always think of how "out" that sounds. I wouldn't be caught dead listening to it. But, I wouldn't care less blasting some '50s tune because those are classy and timeless and truly songs in every sense of the word.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 05/19/06 at 9:33 pm

Well, the early 90's started feeling really old in the early 2000s. The mid-90's are starting to feel a little old, right now. The late 90's still feel mostly brand new.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 05/20/06 at 1:43 am

Whenever it wa that I realized people born in 1990 or 1991 were old enough to post on the internet, and carry on adult conversations.  These people were babies and small children in the 90s.  Mark Twain once wrote that one of the things that surprised him as he grew older was that babies actually grew up and became adults.  I know what he means now, and why that surprised him, because before a certain age you don't figure babies actually grow up.  (logically you know they do, but it's still weird to see it happen)

It's like hey we are shocked that the 80s are retro, but the 90s are pretty old school too.   

Written By: Classie83 on 05/20/06 at 9:47 pm

Whenever it wa that I realized people born in 1990 or 1991 were old enough to post on the internet, and carry on adult conversations.  These people were babies and small children in the 90s.  Mark Twain once wrote that one of the things that surprised him as he grew older was that babies actually grew up and became adults.  I know what he means now, and why that surprised him, because before a certain age you don't figure babies actually grow up.  (logically you know they do, but it's still weird to see it happen)

It's like hey we are shocked that the 80s are retro, but the 90s are pretty old school too.   

I totally agree. My little brother was born in '90 and is tall with a deep voice. i'm like "how'd that happen so quick?" So, now I feel '90 is old. Now 1996 is old because it's been 10 years since then. It feels like yesterday, but it has indeed been 10 years. Anything after that seems like "Uh oh, it's getting old, but not quite there yet."

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/20/06 at 9:50 pm

It's still the 90s as far as I'm concerned.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/20/06 at 10:07 pm

It's still the 90s as far as I'm concerned.

You're in the minority with that opinion now. In 2003 or '04, or even early '05 more would agree with you.  I think by fall of '05 this decade really developed its own character.  If you watch a movie from 1994, it doesn't seem like the same era.

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/20/06 at 10:21 pm

Like I said, I didn't realize that the '90s were really past until about a year ago when I began my nostalgia trips. But yeah, I do consider 1994 and 2006 very far apart.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/20/06 at 10:25 pm

Yeah, the '00s and the '90s are not the same- at all.

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/20/06 at 10:28 pm

Yeah, the '00s and the '90s are not the same- at all.

Exactly. I do agree that there are a few things we still have from the '90s like the Internet. But when I look at pictures of the '90s and watch my '94 Rugrats marathon tape, it's a major blast from the past.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/20/06 at 10:59 pm

Exactly. I do agree that there are a few things we still have from the '90s like the Internet. But when I look at pictures of the '90s and watch my '94 Rugrats marathon tape, it's a major blast from the past.

The Internet was very primitive for 3/4 of the '90s though.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/20/06 at 11:01 pm

Yeah, all or almost all of the individual trends/"cool" things from the '90s are dated or at least long past their peak now. Some of the technology looks pretty antique in comparison, too. Although some of the overall atmosphere/attitude is sort of around (1994 is still way less dated in 2006 than 1982 was in 1994).

The '90s didn't die the quick deaths the '70s and '80s did by the following decade's "1" years (and completely by their "3" year). It's been gradual, but even 2004 feels more like a new '90s than early '06 does.

Probably because less and less '90s bands are having successful comebacks/continued success.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/20/06 at 11:04 pm

Yeah, all or almost all of the individual trends/"cool" things from the '90s are dated or at least long past their peak now. Some of the technology looks pretty antique in comparison, too. Although some of the overall atmosphere/attitude is sort of around (1994 is still way less dated in 2006 than 1982 was in 1994).

The '90s didn't die the quick deaths the '70s and '80s did by the following decade's "1" years (and completely by their "3" year). It's been gradual, but even 2004 feels more like a new '90s than early '06 does.

Probably because less and less '90s bands are having successful comebacks/continued success.

In some ways though I think the '90s are actually more like the '80s though.  I think the '90s idea of "cool" is closer to the '00s than to the '80s, but I think the general state of the world in the '90s is closer to the '80s.

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/20/06 at 11:06 pm

In some ways though I think the '90s are actually more like the '80s though.  I think the '90s idea of "cool" is closer to the '00s than to the '80s, but I think the general state of the world in the '90s is closer to the '80s.

I've been waiting for someone to say something like that about the '80s. That's because I remember hearing songs like Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go being heard at K-Mart probably as late as 1996.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/20/06 at 11:11 pm

Do you mean technology and such? I actually would agree with that - today I was thinking how, in a weird way, despite the fact that the '80s-90s shift happened ALOT faster and had more impact, the '90s almost feel further away now.

Hell, as late as 1996, there was no shortage of audio tapes, VCRs and (to a lesser extent) old school/NES-type video games. So I still felt "connected" to my earlier childhood until age 14-15. By 17-18 (1999ish) I started really noticing how far the '80s seemed once the "early" 2000s stuff began getting popular.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/20/06 at 11:14 pm

Do you mean technology and such? I actually would agree with that - today I was thinking how, in a weird way, despite the fact that the '80s-90s shift happened ALOT faster and had more impact, the '90s almost feel further away now.

Hell, as late as 1996, there was no shortage of audio tapes, VCRs and (to a lesser extent) old school/NES-type video games. So I still felt "connected" to my earlier childhood until age 14-15. By 17-18 (1999ish) I started really noticing how far the '80s seemed once the "early" 2000s stuff began getting popular.

Yes, technology, the news (actually, sociopolitically the '90s were in a limbo between the '80s and '00s ... there was no Cold War, except in 1990 and 1991, but the War on Terror era really wasn't around yet, although there were precursors), and the general lifestyle (at least up 1996/'97) were closer to the '80s.

However the attitude, fashion, slang and music of the '90s is definitely more like that of the '00s (although I no longer think the '00s is a complete ripoff of the '90s in that sense).

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/21/06 at 3:40 am

The VCR era persisted well into the 21st century - while people still use video tapes to tape TV-shows etc, even with DVD recorders. I guess people feel comfortable and familiar with that form of media/format, they will be reluctant to change.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/21/06 at 9:37 am

Yes, technology, the news (actually, sociopolitically the '90s were in a limbo between the '80s and '00s ... there was no Cold War, except in 1990 and 1991, but the War on Terror era really wasn't around yet, although there were precursors), and the general lifestyle (at least up 1996/'97) were closer to the '80s.

However the attitude, fashion, slang and music of the '90s is definitely more like that of the '00s (although I no longer think the '00s is a complete ripoff of the '90s in that sense).

The '90s and '00s actually look pretty different, if you go to an average high school, or go into a subway train.  The '00s just somehow looks so much flashier and more "primped-up"/Disneyified.

The lifestyle of the '90s until summer 1998, really, was just an updated version of what was around in say 1988, with the exception of the internet. There were VHSes, cassettes, etc., and the internet wasn't as useful as it is now. I think the way people thought is actually more similar to the '70s in some ways than the '80s or '90s, though between the two for your average '80s person I think the '90s are more like the '00s. Something I've always thought is that in some settings and social strata people were basically the same as they are now (such as urban hipster/R.E.M. and Sonic Youth types in the late '80s or NYC and West Coast yuppies), but in the average suburban town it was pretty different from the '90s, though closer to the '00s than the '60s by far.

To me, it somehow felt even less like an updated '90s around 03-04, because of all the excitement over stuff like emo and glam rap. Now, we're sort of returning back to something a little more '90s...you could say we're "regressing", I guess.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/21/06 at 10:04 am

To me, it somehow felt even less like an updated '90s around 03-04, because of all the excitement over stuff like emo and glam rap. Now, we're sort of returning back to something a little more '90s...you could say we're "regressing", I guess.

In some ways yes, with a more simpler, 90s aesthetic. But we're not regressing in tech etc.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/22/06 at 3:22 pm

The VCR era persisted well into the 21st century - while people still use video tapes to tape TV-shows etc, even with DVD recorders. I guess people feel comfortable and familiar with that form of media/format, they will be reluctant to change.

The VCR era is still quite evident. I don't have a DVD recorder. I still use video tapes to record stuff. Again, it may be because I'm familiar with it and it's an old stand by.

Written By: whistledog on 05/22/06 at 3:29 pm

I wasn't really ever aware that the 90's were over.  That whole decade was kind of a haze for me becuase I hated Grunge, R&B and Rap/Hip Hop. 

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/22/06 at 3:35 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/22/06 at 3:37 pm

Yeah, same here. I think by the time the mid to late 90's came around, I was into stuff that excluded a lot of that culture. Yet, I did like some music from that time, yet as the 2000's hit, I've liked less and less newer stuff. I liked grunge somewhat at the beginning of its reign, but now a lot that stuff just sounds too generic to me. We really need something more refreshing.

I think the '90s seemed pretty crappy until the '00s hit; then I realized that they weren't that bad.  At least I was born in 1990 and not 2000.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/22/06 at 3:41 pm

I think the '90s seemed pretty crappy until the '00s hit; then I realized that they weren't that bad.  At least I was born in 1990 and not 2000.

Yeah, being born in 2000 must feel kinda weird for some kids because such a huge majority of people they know were born in a different century. I mean, we had mostly decade differences, but these kids have century differences for us people born in the 1900's. Kind of a strange feeling.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/22/06 at 3:43 pm

Yeah, being born in 2000 must feel kinda weird for some kids because such a huge majority of people they know were born in a different century. I mean, we had mostly decade differences, but these kids have century differences for us people born in the 1900's. Kind of a strange feeling.

Do you feel that the 1990s counts as 20th Century, even if only barely?  As modern as it was, I wouldn't say it was 21st Century-modern. In some ways the '90s does seem like the same century as the '60s-'80s and a different one from now.  Things from the '90s seem less flashy and more grainy than things from the '00s, if that makes sense.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/22/06 at 3:49 pm

Do you feel that the 1990s counts as 20th Century, even if only barely?  As modern as it was, I wouldn't say it was 21st Century-modern. In some ways the '90s does seem like the same century as the '60s-'80s and a different one from now.  Things from the '90s seem less flashy and more grainy than things from the '00s, if that makes sense.

No, you're right. I mean, I look back on things made in the '90s and they do look somewhat dated next to some of the graphics they use today in movies/TV.

I mean, born in 1990, you still got an advantage because you were born so close to the '80s that you still got a very small taste of it, however small it was. Also, you probably have fairly distinct memories of the '90s because you were born in January and so you pretty much lived a "full" calendar year to experience at least the last half of the '90s to a fair degree.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/22/06 at 3:52 pm

No, you're right. I mean, I look back on things made in the '90s and they do look somewhat dated next to some of the graphics they use today in movies/TV.

I mean, born in 1990, you still got an advantage because you were born so close to the '80s that you still got a very small taste of it, however small it was. Also, you probably have fairly distinct memories of the '90s because you were born in January and so you pretty much lived a "full" calendar year to experience at least the last half of the '90s to a fair degree.

For every way the '80s and '90s differ, there's several ways in which they're similar.  We're talking neighboring decades here.  Even as late as 1998, the '80s, dated as they were weren't thought of as an "old decade'.  Bits of the '80s went into the '90s, as late as 1998, just like 2006 has tons of '90s floating around.

I can remember back to 1993 or 1994, so I'd say I experienced about half of the '90s.

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/22/06 at 4:02 pm

For every way the '80s and '90s differ, there's several ways in which they're similar.  We're talking neighboring decades here.  Even as late as 1998, the '80s, dated as they were weren't thought of as an "old decade'.  Bits of the '80s went into the '90s, as late as 1998, just like 2006 has tons of '90s floating around.

I can remember back to 1993 or 1994, so I'd say I experienced about half of the '90s.

Same here. I can't remember 1990-most of 1992. I think I do have some '92 memories though.

From my perspective, I think the early and mid '90s sort of criss-cross somewhere around 1994 and 1995. As for the whole "The '00s is the '90s" thing, I still disagree with that. Sure, there are a few things still here, but still.

Check for new replies or respond here...