inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Worst Year for Music

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 8:55 pm

I know there's already been a thread on 'Best' year, so I thought I'd start one on the 'Worst' year for music in the 90s. I'm going to say 1999, because of all the boy bands, the emergence of rap/hip-hop, teen pop, and because it was the closest to the 00s.

Subject: Re: Worst Year for Music

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/17/06 at 9:10 pm

I would give the edge to 1990 because it was dominated by crap such as "Nelson", "Wilson Phillips", "Paula Abdul", and "Michael Bolton"

Hardly any good songs came out from 1990

1999 wasn't that Great either, but there are definately songs from that year that I like alot

Written By: woops on 05/17/06 at 9:12 pm

1997, with Hanson, Spice Girls, Marilyn Manson, overexposure of rap, and the downfall of MTV

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/17/06 at 9:16 pm

1997, with Hanson, Spice Girls, Marilyn Manson, overexposure of rap, and the downfall of MTV

1997 had alot more to offer than just the Spice Girls and Hanson, you know.  Plus, Marilyn Manson was a Non-Entity in 1997.  He was most popular in 1996 and 1998

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 9:44 pm

I would give the edge to 1990 because it was dominated by crap such as "Nelson", "Wilson Phillips", "Paula Abdul", and "Michael Bolton"

Hardly any good songs came out from 1990

1999 wasn't that Great either, but there are definately songs from that year that I like alot

Yeah, 1990 was a real doozie. Just the lull before the storm (Grunge) I guess. All that soft-core crap like Paula Abdul, Salt 'n' Pepa.etc. In fact, I don't remember a single really good/classic album from that year, and remember few bands who debuted in that year.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 9:45 pm

1997 had alot more to offer than just the Spice Girls and Hanson, you know.  Plus, Marilyn Manson was a Non-Entity in 1997.  He was most popular in 1996 and 1998

Too true. I even liked the charts back then - you had A/C, Indie-pop rock like Third Eye Blind, Radiohead was HUGE, groups like Starsailor, Supergrass, Silverchair, singer-songwriters like P.J. Harvey, Elliott Smith were just hitting stride. 1997 was the best year for music, followed by 1995.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/17/06 at 9:46 pm

1990 wasn't bad, just dull.

Worst would be the "low period" between 1999 and 2003. I think maybe 2001 overall.

For 1990s, 1999 for sure.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 9:47 pm

1990 wasn't bad, just dull.

Worst would be the "low period" between 1999 and 2003. I think maybe 2001 overall.

For 1990s, 1999 for sure.

Come to think, the early 90s/grunge period was pretty dull as well.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/17/06 at 9:58 pm

Too true. I even liked the charts back then - you had A/C, Indie-pop rock like Third Eye Blind, Radiohead was HUGE, groups like Starsailor, Supergrass, Silverchair, singer-songwriters like P.J. Harvey, Elliott Smith were just hitting stride. 1997 was the best year for music, followed by 1995.

Exactly.  When I think of 1997, I instantly think of Third Eye Blind, Radiohead, Prodigy, Foo Fighters, The Verve, The Verve Pipe, etc...

They made 1997 a great year for music, in my opinion.  When I think of '90s Music, some of those groups hits from '97 pop up in my mind.  Especially a song like "Semi-Charmed Life"

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/17/06 at 10:19 pm

1990 was

;) Indeed

Written By: woops on 05/17/06 at 10:31 pm

1990 wasn't bad nor good since there were some good songs from that year from Bell Biv DeVoe, Jane's Addiction, Depeche Mode, The Cure, and Deborah Gibson (though "Anything Is Possible" flopped unfortunately, http://www.discomuseum.com/DebbieGibson.html). I agree that Nelson, Wilson Phillips, and Vanilla Ice sucks, though I like some songs from  Paula Abdul.

1997, I basically remember that rap was in the verge of being overexposed, lesser videos on MTV, and only liked  few alternative bands. Also started to like more new wave/alternative and pop music from the '80's.

1999 was the ulimate downfall  :P

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/17/06 at 10:37 pm

1990 definately did have some Great Songs and some Good Songs, i'll list some of my favorites

"Epic" by Faith No More
"Man In The Box" by Alice In Chains
"Freedom '90" by George Michael
"U Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer
"Been Caught Stealing" by Jane's Addiction
"Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice
"Enjoy The Silence" by Depeche Mode
"Tom's Diner" by Suzanne Vega & DNA

But pretty much everything else was Dung, imo

1999 was full of Pop, sure, but there were still some Rock Songs from that year that I liked alot, and even some of the less recognizable Pop songs from 1999 I kind of liked

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/18/06 at 12:13 am

1990 is definitely the cheesiest.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/18/06 at 3:06 am

Exactly.  When I think of 1997, I instantly think of Third Eye Blind, Radiohead, Prodigy, Foo Fighters, The Verve, The Verve Pipe, etc...

They made 1997 a great year for music, in my opinion.  When I think of '90s Music, some of those groups hits from '97 pop up in my mind.  Especially a song like "Semi-Charmed Life"

Just think how many instantly recogniseable songs hail from
'97, like 'Bittersweet Symphony' by the Verve, 'Torn' by Natalie Imbruglia, 'Semi-Charmed Life' by Third Eye Blind, 'Paranoid Android' by Radiohead, various songs by the Prodigy, 'Every You and Every Me' by Placebo, early Fatboy Slim. It was a golden year in terms of techno-club music.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/18/06 at 5:58 am

1990 is a dull spot for music between 1988, 1989, and 1991, all of which were pretty good years. 1999 was not a good year for music, overall. And I think 1996 was pretty bad.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/18/06 at 6:14 am

1990 is a dull spot for music between 1988, 1989, and 1991, all of which were pretty good years. 1999 was not a good year for music, overall. And I think 1996 was pretty bad.

The slump periods were 1989-1990, 1996, and 1998-1999

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/18/06 at 6:15 am

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/18/06 at 3:08 pm

Just think how many instantly recogniseable songs hail from
'97, like 'Bittersweet Symphony' by the Verve, 'Torn' by Natalie Imbruglia, 'Semi-Charmed Life' by Third Eye Blind, 'Paranoid Android' by Radiohead, various songs by the Prodigy, 'Every You and Every Me' by Placebo, early Fatboy Slim. It was a golden year in terms of techno-club music.

In America, "Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia wasn't a Hit untill May 1998

But I see what you mean.  And also, "Fatboy Slim" didn't become big here until 1999

Written By: SpaceHog on 05/18/06 at 3:26 pm

1996- it started the downfall there.

with:

Los Del Rio
Son Volt
PRG
Refreshments
Fiona Apple
3rd Eye Blind

Plus, Toad the wet sprocket, with Whatever I fear.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/18/06 at 6:05 pm

I would also say 1996 - oh, there were definitely good songs then that I liked then and still do now - but I remember it seemed like the first "more urban" year, if that makes sense.

Sure, urban/rap music had been around on the pop charts since 1988, and in a bigger way since '93, but it seemed '96 was the first year it clearly overtook pop and rock. I recall the "rock is dead" sentiment around that time, too.

I agree it was kinda the "inbetween" era between the old school '90s and the boy band late '90s.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/18/06 at 6:10 pm

I would also say 1996 - oh, there were definitely good songs then that I liked then and still do now - but I remember it seemed like the first "more urban" year, if that makes sense.

Sure, urban/rap music had been around on the pop charts since 1988, and in a bigger way since '93, but it seemed '96 was the first year it clearly overtook pop and rock. I recall the "rock is dead" sentiment around that time, too.

I agree it was kinda the "inbetween" era between the old school '90s and the boy band late '90s.

Marty, do you think the urban music control of the pop charts will ever end anytime soon, now it seems like it will never end. I do hope for more diversity in popular music.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/18/06 at 6:12 pm

Marty, do you think the urban music control of the pop charts will ever end anytime soon, now it seems like it will never end. I do hope for more diversity in popular music.

Same here. I think it'll temporarily seem like it's lifing sometimes (in 2001 or even as late as '03 I still had hope for this), but it always kinda reverts back. I don't dislike urban music, but I agree, I wish it didn't have such a deathgrip on the pop charts.

Maybe the '10s will be less urban, after so much of it from 1992-09 or so?

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/18/06 at 6:18 pm

Same here. I think it'll temporarily seem like it's lifing sometimes (in 2001 or even as late as '03 I still had hope for this), but it always kinda reverts back. I don't dislike urban music, but I agree, I wish it didn't have such a deathgrip on the pop charts.

Maybe the '10s will be less urban, after so much of it from 1992-09 or so?

Yea I've noticed the same thing, it doesn't seem like it will be really lessening anytime soon. I like a lot of the stuff actually, but there's plenty of other music out there that gets so overshadowed because of urban dominance. I think it will slowly transition into something else, but you probably won't see much change until the next decade. I really think this is something that built up during the late '80s and the '90s and eventually became what it is today. The fact that there are many more urban stations nowadays than there were in the '80s for example has a lot to do with it as well.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/18/06 at 6:25 pm

I'm surprised that anyone would say 1996 was the Worst

How can anyone honestly think 1996 had worst music than 1990 or 1999?

1996 was arguably the Best Year of the '90s for Rock Music.  And when you say it was too "Urban", one thing you didn't even mention is that those "Urban" songs were R&B (Not Rap) and they were actually GOOD songs.  Don't just label all Urban Music as crap

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/18/06 at 6:28 pm

1996 was arguably the Best Year of the '90s for Rock Music.  And when you say it was too "Urban", one thing you didn't even mention is that those "Urban" songs were R&B (Not Rap) and they were actually GOOD songs.  Don't just label all Urban Music as crap

Yeah I personally don't think 96 was the worst either. I do like Urban music, and urban music was a lot better in the '90s definitely, I just think it controls too much of the charts here in 2006.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/18/06 at 8:51 pm

96' was ok, not horrible. Some great albums like the Cardigan's 'First Band on the Moon' came out that year. But it was sort of a transition between the mid-90s and late-90s scenes, having neither the identity of 95 or 97.

Check for new replies or respond here...