inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Champagne Supernova or Paranoid Android?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/18/06 at 3:08 am

Which is the 'Stairway' of the 90s?

Subject: Re: Champagne Supernova or Paranoid Android?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/18/06 at 3:28 am

Both very good songs, and define the 90s sound somewhat.

I'm going with Oasis on this one. As much as I like Radiohead's track, Champagne Supernova just defines the mid-90s sound for me.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/18/06 at 3:31 am

Both very good songs, and define the 90s sound somewhat.

I'm going with Oasis on this one. As much as I like Radiohead's track, Champagne Supernova just defines the mid-90s sound for me.

The Head's 'Paranoid' is a far more interesting, sophisticated track imo. So much going on, you can listen to it hundreds of times and still find something new. In that way its a bit like 'Good Vibrations' in the mood.etc changes throughout the song. Champagne's also a good song, but a bit simple for my tastes. It's sort of like a chant though, in some ways, and a good drinking song.  :)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/18/06 at 3:34 am

The Head's 'Paranoid' is a far more interesting, sophisticated track imo. So much going on, you can listen to it hundreds of times and still find something new. In that way its a bit like 'Good Vibrations' in the mood.etc changes throughout the song. Champagne's also a good song, but a bit simple for my tastes. It's sort of like a chant though, in some ways, and a good drinking song.  :)
I agree that Paranoid is far more interesting, and has more going on, while CS is quite mellow, doesn't really have must change and would probably be better if it was shorter by a couple of minutes.

Guess it depends what mood I'm in.  ;)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/18/06 at 3:35 am

I agree that Paranoid is far more interesting, and has more going on, while CS is quite mellow, doesn't really have must change and would probably be better if it was shorter by a couple of minutes.

Guess it depends what mood I'm in.  ;)

Yeah both awesome songs though...one's pretty hectic and chaotic, wheres ones contemplative, mellow and hypnotic..

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/18/06 at 5:59 am

The '90s British sound that is.

For the Americans, I think "Precious Things" is the "Stairway to Heaven" of the angry grrl movement.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/18/06 at 6:19 am

For the Americans, I think "Precious Things" is the "Stairway to Heaven" of the angry grrl movement.

'Precious Things' by Tori Amos? Yeah, I spose you don't association Tori with the 'Angry grrrl' , 'Riot grrrl' movement...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/18/06 at 11:01 am

Both are awesome songs! But I'll pick Oasis b/c that song moved me everytime I heard it. My roommate hated to hear it when I played it.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/18/06 at 12:21 pm

'Precious Things' by Tori Amos? Yeah, I spose you don't association Tori with the 'Angry grrrl' , 'Riot grrrl' movement...

It was definitely the first "angry grrrl" song, from 1991. Then Hole, Bikini Kill, Babes in Toyland, Liz Phair, and Alanis Morisette came out after that.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/18/06 at 3:00 pm

The '90s British sound is what defines the 90s for me. That and Grunge (American). Possibly due to my vast collection of British music (Britpop) from then. (Mostly bought during the 00s...  ::))

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/18/06 at 3:15 pm

That "Paranoid Android" song is Crap.  It's not even listenable.  I don't even think it's an actual song  ;D

I used to like "Champagne Supernova" when it was a hit in 1996

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/18/06 at 8:50 pm

That "Paranoid Android" song is Crap.  It's not even listenable.  I don't even think it's an actual song  ;D

I used to like "Champagne Supernova" when it was a hit in 1996

'Crap'? Have you even properly listened to it? It's a modern day rock symphony...Forget Stairway, forget 'Bohemian Rhapsody', forget 'November Rain', this is the definitive statement of the modern pop era. And its got so much meaning to it, just an incredible pop-cultural document.

Written By: Ged on 06/13/06 at 7:10 pm

Paranoid Android by miles.

Written By: Ged on 06/13/06 at 7:14 pm

...though I think "Three Days" by Jane's Addiction is the true 'Stairway' of the 90's.

Check for new replies or respond here...