inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is the grrrl music of the '90s part of grunge?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/18/06 at 4:56 pm

Are Alanis Morrisette, early No Doubt, 3 Non Blondes, etc. part of Grunge?

Subject: Re: Is the grrrl music of the '90s part of grunge?

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/18/06 at 5:05 pm

What on earth is "Grrrl"?  Did you misspell "Girl"?

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/18/06 at 5:20 pm

Although it has some of the same audience, and in ways, some of the same 90-ish subjects (i.e. anger), I'd say no. That's more pop/alternative, which is kinda "feelgood grunge", if such a thing exists.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/18/06 at 5:21 pm

I don't think so. They may appeal to similar crowds, but they are still quite different styles.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/18/06 at 6:49 pm

Grrl music had alot of different styles. For example, Hole was grunge, Liz Phair was sort of lo-fi like Pavement, Alanis Morisette was radio-style post-grunge, No Doubt is ska-pop, etc. They're unified by common themes, some of which (as Marty said, including anger) are quite '90s. In a way, even the Spice Girls borrowed off the "grrls."

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/18/06 at 6:55 pm

What on earth is "Grrrl"?  Did you misspell "Girl"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grrl

Written By: whistledog on 05/18/06 at 6:55 pm

Are Alanis Morrisette, early No Doubt, 3 Non Blondes, etc. part of Grunge?

Alanis wasn't part of grunge.  Atleast I never thought so.  She started her career as a dance pop singer.  Those were her best days IMO

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/18/06 at 8:40 pm

'Riot Grrl' had a lot of similarities as Grunge, and as the article said originated out of the late 80s/early 90s mileau of the Seattle/Olympia scene, which of course was the birthplace of Grunge. It was more defined by its aesthetic and 'message' than musical style, though most 'Riot Grrrl' music is a sort of mix between late 70s punk, Grunge and Goth Rock. It's message was supposedly one of female empowerment and liberation. I'd considered anything from Hole, to L7, to Chicks on Speed or Ani Difranco Riot Grrrl. Alanis Morisette, the Donnas, the Spazzys.etc are just pop-punk/pop with a little bit of grungey inflection.

Check for new replies or respond here...