inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '90s Interior Design

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/19/06 at 4:33 pm

What do you consider '90s interior design to be?

Here are some things I associate as being very '90s in interior design:

-Exposed brick walls.
-Framed black-and-white photographs.
-Leather couches.
-Canvas furnishings.
-Wicker furnishings.
-In general, exposed building elements (wires, etc.)
-Earthen palettes, an African-inspired look, and "organic style."
-Modified/updated '80s looks: still lots of clean, bare long spaces cluttered with objects, but with lots of glass and more "off."
-Traditional, almost "European looks,"
-Black combined with antiqued brass and gold.
-Gothic imagery in homes, i.e. gargoyles and fleur de lis (this is very mid-'90s seeming)
-Very relaxed, almost Italianate or Spanish-style looks.
-The "eclectic" Romantic Country Nostalgia look, if you know what I mean.
-Weathered finishes.
-Bamboo.
-Wrought-iron canopy beds.
-Drapery and quilts everywhere.
-Candles.

Subject: Re: '90s Interior Design

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/19/06 at 5:52 pm

West-facing windows, for sunsets.

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/19/06 at 5:54 pm

I've always considered blue neon lights '90s.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/19/06 at 7:13 pm

Anything neon is uber-'90s, though neon started as a late '80s "urban" sort of thing. And yeah, west-facing windows are very '90s. And gardens and greenhouses, for that Pacific Northwest climate ideal for gardening.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/19/06 at 7:14 pm

Most houses today would have been built in the 90s or earlier, and most people wouldn't have changed there interior design much, so you can probably see it in most houses today.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/19/06 at 7:18 pm

Most houses today would have been built in the 90s or earlier, and most people wouldn't have changed there interior design much, so you can probably see it in most houses today.

It depends on where you are, though...my town's average house building date is like 1928. I feel like those wooden or plaster split-levels with big windows made to fit in with the environment are very '90s, west coast style.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/19/06 at 7:20 pm

It depends on where you are, though...my town's average house building date is like 1928. I feel like those wooden or plaster split-levels with big windows made to fit in with the environment are very '90s, west coast style.

My house was built in 1987 - houses in that era were characterised by being mostly built of brick, with alot of high ceilings, those round windows, open games room.etc. Most of our furnishings.etc are from the early 90s!

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/19/06 at 9:11 pm

My house was built around 1978 or 1979 and it's pretty '70s. I think my bedroom has short shag carpeting. I've lived in this house all of my life too.

Check for new replies or respond here...