inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are the early '90s a campy time?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/19/06 at 6:04 pm

Aside from the Grunge movement, 1990-1994 was a very campy time. The fashion, music, mindset, everything about the early '90s was cheesy.

Subject: Re: Are the early '90s a campy time?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/19/06 at 7:17 pm

LOL, I think most times have a campy element to them. 1990-1994 was definitely quite campy, above average in campiness, probably. In Living Color sort of exemplifies that feeling of these "urban" things (neon short-shorts and backwards baseball caps) that seem very silly breaking out across the white, middle-class suburbs, as they did in the early '90s. That sort of collision created the camp, I think, the "neon" old school hip-hop culture combined with the almost neo-'80s suburban teenage white kid atmosphere. There were also the whole reggae/neo-hippie fad, which was pretty cheesy, and how every variety show had to have a hip-hop dance sequence, and every set-piece was always a dark street with a brick wall and streetlights.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/19/06 at 7:18 pm

LOL, I think most times have a campy element to them. 1990-1994 was definitely quite campy, above average in campiness, probably. In Living Color sort of exemplifies that feeling of these "urban" things (neon short-shorts and backwards baseball caps) that seem very silly breaking out across the white, middle-class suburbs, as they did in the early '90s. That sort of collision created the camp, I think, the "neon" old school hip-hop culture combined with the almost neo-'80s suburban teenage white kid atmosphere. There were also the whole reggae/neo-hippie fad, which was pretty cheesy, and how every variety show had to have a hip-hop dance sequence, and every set-piece was always a dark street with a brick wall and streetlights.

Just watch an episode of 'Fresh Prince of Bel Air' - that says it all.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/19/06 at 7:19 pm

Just watch an episode of 'Fresh Prince of Bel Air' - that says it all.

It's so weird that I'd occasionally watch that in 1997 or so and I wouldn't feel like there was anything at all weird about it. Now when I watch it, it's like "'90s alert."

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/19/06 at 7:20 pm

It's so weird that I'd occasionally watch that in 1997 or so and I wouldn't feel like there was anything at all weird about it. Now when I watch it, it's like "'90s alert."

Think of how weird the '00s will seem by the mid-'10s  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/19/06 at 7:20 pm

90s alert!  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/19/06 at 7:26 pm

90s alert!  ;D

I think that I didn't even think it was all that unusual in the late '90s makes me realize how long a time ago it was.

But, getting back to topic...does anyone agree with me that the campiness comes from an outlandish urban-type culture rapidly colliding with '80s, Reaganite white suburban culture?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/19/06 at 7:27 pm

I think that I didn't even think it was all that unusual in the late '90s makes me realize how long a time ago it was.

But, getting back to topic...does anyone agree with me that the campiness comes from an outlandish urban-type culture rapidly colliding with '80s, Reaganite white suburban culture?

Without a doubt. That's what the early '90s was ... the world of the 1980s colliding with the grunginess brought on by the recession (and later, the return of campiness brought on by the dot-com boom).

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/19/06 at 7:29 pm

Without a doubt. That's what the early '90s was ... the world of the 1980s colliding with the grunginess brought on by the recession (and later, the return of campiness brought on by the dot-com boom).

Yeah, a try-hard 'white hip-hop sort of cultural amalgam', which re-surfaced in the early 00s with the hip-hop obsession. Super-baggy shorts, over-sized Basketball ball singlets, backwards caps...I was a victim of that fashion phenomena!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/19/06 at 7:31 pm

Yeah, a try-hard 'white hip-hop sort of cultural amalgam', which re-surfaced in the early 00s with the hip-hop obsession. Super-baggy shorts, over-sized Basketball ball singlets, backwards caps...I was a victim of that fashion phenomena!

Do you see this as a truly '90s thing, or a campy late '80s holdover?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/19/06 at 7:33 pm

Do you see this as a truly '90s thing, or a campy late '80s holdover?

distinctly early 90s...on the other side of the fence to the grunge aesthetic of torn jeans, t-shirts and runners was the urban basketball look.

Have u noticed the wearing of baseball/basketball caps has also declined markedly throughout the 90s and 00s? In about 1994, I'd say AT LEAST 60% of boys wore caps, while today it's pbly like 15%.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/19/06 at 7:35 pm

distinctly early 90s...on the other side of the fence to the grunge aesthetic of torn jeans, t-shirts and runners was the urban basketball look.

Have u noticed the wearing of baseball/basketball caps has also declined markedly throughout the 90s and 00s? In about 1994, I'd say AT LEAST 60% of boys wore caps, while today it's pbly like 15%.

I've noticed that wearing baseball caps backwards, as a fashion statement is dead.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/19/06 at 7:38 pm

I've noticed that wearing baseball caps backwards, as a fashion statement is dead.

Were you a big cap wearer when you were younger? I used to never take mine off.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/19/06 at 7:38 pm

I think it was a genuinely '90s thing, the '80s were too white for it.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/19/06 at 7:40 pm

I think it was a genuinely '90s thing, the '80s were too white for it.

But Gangsta rap really exploded in the late 80s, but it was more underground. But then again it was alot of better, and expounded a really 'them against us' atittude. Race relations were really boiling up in that period reaching a peak with the Rodney King thing and the Riots in South Central L.A. and other areas.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/19/06 at 8:09 pm

But Gangsta rap really exploded in the late 80s, but it was more underground. But then again it was alot of better, and expounded a really 'them against us' atittude. Race relations were really boiling up in that period reaching a peak with the Rodney King thing and the Riots in South Central L.A. and other areas.

Have you seen Do the Right Thing? It's definitely an icon of the racial tension in the late '80s and early '90s. I see most early '90s style hip-hop culture as being more '90s than an '80s holdover.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 05/20/06 at 1:32 am

YES it was.  The early 90s were had some outlandish fashions that were very campy. 

Even when it was happening in the actual early 90s, I knew that some of the fashions and hairstyles would not date very well, and would look totally ridiculous by the late 90s.  I remember thinking that clearly. 

Although the general "1990, 1991" style was started to become outdated by late 1992 or so, you could still catch people in that look even into 1994.   Most of the stuff looked pretty awful by 1995 or 1996 actually.  Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, great show, but ughhh....a major offender.  Probably the worst offender.  Very 1991 in style and feel, even the later episodes.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/20/06 at 11:20 am

YES it was.  The early 90s were had some outlandish fashions that were very campy. 

Even when it was happening in the actual early 90s, I knew that some of the fashions and hairstyles would not date very well, and would look totally ridiculous by the late 90s.  I remember thinking that clearly. 

Although the general "1990, 1991" style was started to become outdated by late 1992 or so, you could still catch people in that look even into 1994.  Most of the stuff looked pretty awful by 1995 or 1996 actually.  Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, great show, but ughhh....a major offender.  Probably the worst offender.  Very 1991 in style and feel, even the later episodes.

When exactly did the whole look start going out? About 1991-1992, when grunge came to the fore? I think of the whole neon/M.C. Hammer pants fashion stage as being a late '80s urban thing that became sort of white by the early '90s, causing horrible results (akin to '70s fashion.) It's very weird that in 1997, a year I remember quite well, fashion was hyper-normal, and yet only six or so years before, there was such damn weird fashion.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 05/20/06 at 9:25 pm

When exactly did the whole look start going out? About 1991-1992, when grunge came to the fore? I think of the whole neon/M.C. Hammer pants fashion stage as being a late '80s urban thing that became sort of white by the early '90s, causing horrible results (akin to '70s fashion.) It's very weird that in 1997, a year I remember quite well, fashion was hyper-normal, and yet only six or so years before, there was such damn weird fashion.

Probably late 1992 or early 1993.  But I don't think the early 90s style was totally gone until well into 1995 actually.  The thing is, there are a lot of early 90s fashions that look cool, but there were so many that were very outlandish and over the top too.  i.e., Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

It's all about personal taste I suppose.  You can look back on them and see them as campy fun, but I guess I cringe so much because those were my high school years, and it's kinda embarrassing looking at that.  But even when it was happening, I knew it would not date that well.  The music was great though. 

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/20/06 at 9:29 pm

Probably late 1992 or early 1993.  But I don't think the early 90s style was totally gone until well into 1995 actually.  The thing is, there are a lot of early 90s fashions that look cool, but there were so many that were very outlandish and over the top too.  i.e., Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

It's all about personal taste I suppose.  You can look back on them and see them as campy fun, but I guess I cringe so much because those were my high school years, and it's kinda embarrassing looking at that.  But even when it was happening, I knew it would not date that well.  The music was great though. 

Yeah, maybe summer of '96 was when it totally died, but 1991-1992 or so was the last year it was "in", though it was clearly dying with the grunge and all coming in, coexisting with it that year.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/20/06 at 9:44 pm

Would you say the early '90s were as good as the '80s? They certainly had somewhat more class  ;D

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/21/06 at 11:14 am

Yeah, I remember the styles were hyper normal up until 2004, with plain and simple colors. Then, in 2005 it started getting wierd with more rainbow colored clothes for both guys and girls started coming in. It's either rainbow colors or earth tone that's in now, and I think those styles will last for the next few years.

And yeah, I also remember the neon colors of the early 90's, as well as the Hammer pants, the fade, and the running man. 

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/21/06 at 8:41 pm

Yeah, I remember the styles were hyper normal up until 2004, with plain and simple colors. Then, in 2005 it started getting wierd with more rainbow colored clothes for both guys and girls started coming in. It's either rainbow colors or earth tone that's in now, and I think those styles will last for the next few years.

And yeah, I also remember the neon colors of the early 90's, as well as the Hammer pants, the fade, and the running man. 

I think around late '03 the whole indiemo look with the rainbow colors and earth tones started coming in, and all the elaborate frills, tailoring, and puffiness that you see in the "hipper" girls fashion now. You also see alot of uber-preppie stuff, like multiple rainbow-colored popped collar shirts.

Check for new replies or respond here...