inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Coping with 90's Nostalgia

Written By: audkal on 05/19/06 at 10:23 pm

Sometimes I find that it's very comforting if I pretend to myself that I'm actually living in the 90's, but the present (the 00's) is just me "looking into the future".  LOL, I must sound like a nutcase, but seriously, I do that a lot.

Well about 2 weeks ago, I went to see the school I went to in '94-'95 (this was just for Kindergarten, after K I started homeschooling)....OK, so I started having nostalgic feelings about the 90's 2 years ago, and last year was EXTREME, I swear I wasted almost all of last year being depressed because those times were over.

Anyway, so during the past 2 years I've been thinking a lot about the Kindergarten room where I went to school, so I decided to take a look after 11 years.  The whole thing behind the nostalgia stuff for me is *stuff has changed so much, it sucks*, ya know.....when I walked in the K room I got light headed, and almost started to cry.  This was when I realized though, really, not much had changed with the place, even the smell was the same and took me that far back......so I went and looked at the library, it was EXACTLY the same, with the same computers and everything from the 90's, which amazed me.  I have to say that was a comforting day, and I don't really get as depressed as I used to, when I think about the 90's.

So how about you?  How do you cope with 90's nostalgia?

Subject: Re: Coping with 90's Nostalgia

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/19/06 at 10:32 pm

Well, the '90s bug bit me about a year ago. Here are two of the many things that get my fires hot.

1. In the '90s, I used to go to a mall called Carolina Circle Mall. They had a carousel at the food court I'd always ride. I loved that mall. There was nothing better than riding a carousel and visiting great stores like Camelot Music and Montgomery Ward. The mall closed in 2002. Well in the summer of 2005, the mall was torn down for a new Wal-Mart. Between February and June of last year, I was (still am) studying pictures of the mall. Some were from when it was open and some were from when it was closed. My favorite is the picture of the carousel taken around 1993. I also found some pictures of the inside of the mall from 2005. It was sad. The mall had been vandalized and was covered in grafitti. Glad they removed the carousel back around 1997 so it wouldn't suffer that fate. I cried. :\'(

2. I found an old video tape I recorded on my fifth birthday 11/27/1994. It was an 8 hour Rugrats marathon. I only watched it probably only 2 times and it was buried in the living room entertainment center. Well around March of 2005, I found it again. Stuck it in my VCR and I had hit the motherload of '90s television nostalgia. It had episodes of Rugrats you just don't see anymore and classic commercials. When I turn the TV onto Nickelodeon nowadays, I turn my head in sadness.

Oh well. Let me go look at some Carolina Circle Mall pictures and watch my Rugrats marathon tape. See you later.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/20/06 at 10:58 pm

I'm going to feel bad, because if the '90s are old, the '80s are ancient!  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/20/06 at 11:31 pm

Sometimes I find that it's very comforting if I pretend to myself that I'm actually living in the 90's, but the present (the 00's) is just me "looking into the future".  LOL, I must sound like a nutcase, but seriously, I do that a lot.

Well about 2 weeks ago, I went to see the school I went to in '94-'95 (this was just for Kindergarten, after K I started homeschooling)....OK, so I started having nostalgic feelings about the 90's 2 years ago, and last year was EXTREME, I swear I wasted almost all of last year being depressed because those times were over.

Anyway, so during the past 2 years I've been thinking a lot about the Kindergarten room where I went to school, so I decided to take a look after 11 years.  The whole thing behind the nostalgia stuff for me is *stuff has changed so much, it sucks*, ya know.....when I walked in the K room I got light headed, and almost started to cry.  This was when I realized though, really, not much had changed with the place, even the smell was the same and took me that far back......so I went and looked at the library, it was EXACTLY the same, with the same computers and everything from the 90's, which amazed me.  I have to say that was a comforting day, and I don't really get as depressed as I used to, when I think about the 90's.

So how about you?  How do you cope with 90's nostalgia?

That school story is totally relatable to me 'cause I did the same thing a couple times. This one Elem school I went to from 1988-early '90 until 3rd grade has sort of been "special" to me ever since we moved from there later that year (when I was younger, my parents tended to move around a bit -- I always lived in the same overall area, though).

That town was still sort of close enough for us to make occasional trips up there just for fun, though. In '98 on one such occasion, I got out and walked around for a few minutes. That was a very weird feeling 'cause it looked almost the same (if I time travelled 8 years ahead back in 1990 I probably wouldn't have known it) but everywhere that was like a second "home" to me felt like another world by then.

Anyway, I guess I cope with missing the '90s by continuing to watch the TV shows and all that which I did back then. And to keep as many things that I still have, as well as collect new ones (i.e. albums) from then. I also sort of try to be basically just an older version of who **I** was in the '90s (with improvements, of course ;) ). I wouldn't want to hear anyone who, let's say hadn't seen me in several years to say, "Oh geez, he's not fun like he was back in 1995!" the way I have with them sometimes.

(On a sidenote: when PEOPLE change/start seeming noticeably older, that's what gets me the most actually. As much as I like songs/TV shows/pop culture or the overall "feel" of a certain era, I think people themselves are part of that time too, so when they change it kinda hits home that it's "gone".)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/20/06 at 11:37 pm

I don't actually "miss" the '90s. I love them, but I wouldn't really want them back, because in some fashions they're still here.

However in the late '00s that may change. Since late 2005 I actually have started missing the '90s, since they're truly gone now.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/20/06 at 11:50 pm

I'm going to feel bad, because if the '90s are old, the '80s are ancient!  ;D

I agree with you on the one.  ;D

Written By: audkal on 05/21/06 at 10:20 pm

That school story is totally relatable to me 'cause I did the same thing a couple times. This one Elem school I went to from 1988-early '90 until 3rd grade has sort of been "special" to me ever since we moved from there later that year (when I was younger, my parents tended to move around a bit -- I always lived in the same overall area, though).

That town was still sort of close enough for us to make occasional trips up there just for fun, though. In '98 on one such occasion, I got out and walked around for a few minutes. That was a very weird feeling 'cause it looked almost the same (if I time travelled 8 years ahead back in 1990 I probably wouldn't have known it) but everywhere that was like a second "home" to me felt like another world by then.

Anyway, I guess I cope with missing the '90s by continuing to watch the TV shows and all that which I did back then. And to keep as many things that I still have, as well as collect new ones (i.e. albums) from then. I also sort of try to be basically just an older version of who **I** was in the '90s (with improvements, of course ;) ). I wouldn't want to hear anyone who, let's say hadn't seen me in several years to say, "Oh geez, he's not fun like he was back in 1995!" the way I have with them sometimes.

(On a sidenote: when PEOPLE change/start seeming noticeably older, that's what gets me the most actually. As much as I like songs/TV shows/pop culture or the overall "feel" of a certain era, I think people themselves are part of that time too, so when they change it kinda hits home that it's "gone".)

Yeah it was weird, like I thought looking at my school would have made my nostalgia worse, if anything it's gotten a lot better, and I was glad that it hadn't changed much.

BTW, I agree with your sidenote about people......I hadn't really thought of it till you said it, but yeah that's what makes me notice "things have changed".

Well, the '90s bug bit me about a year ago. Here are two of the many things that get my fires hot.

1. In the '90s, I used to go to a mall called Carolina Circle Mall. They had a carousel at the food court I'd always ride. I loved that mall. There was nothing better than riding a carousel and visiting great stores like Camelot Music and Montgomery Ward. The mall closed in 2002. Well in the summer of 2005, the mall was torn down for a new Wal-Mart. Between February and June of last year, I was (still am) studying pictures of the mall. Some were from when it was open and some were from when it was closed. My favorite is the picture of the carousel taken around 1993. I also found some pictures of the inside of the mall from 2005. It was sad. The mall had been vandalized and was covered in grafitti. Glad they removed the carousel back around 1997 so it wouldn't suffer that fate. I cried.

LOL, yeah it's the same with me and the Meijer store we have, all of a sudden in '99 they started remodeling the place, it looks NOTHING like what it did back in the day.  One of my brothers (he's 22 now) was like "Man, if I had tons of money I would rebuild the old Meijer just to pretend I'm in the 90's again", haha.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/21/06 at 11:34 pm

I really miss the '90s, it's seems like one day they were here and now they're way gone. I do miss being younger and not worrying about a thing, and just having fun. I looked up one of the schools I went to from 1st to 4th grade (1993-1997), all my old teachers and principal are gone from my days there, makes me kind of feel old, lol. The kids in 4th grade now, we're just being born when I left there in 1997. The old mall I used to frequent and spent so a lot of time in from the time I was a little child until 13 around there has been torn down, it was like seeing my childhood torn down.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/22/06 at 2:11 am

Yeah, it's very weird how much things have changed. For example, both video stores I went to as a child closed. One was this little, family-run place with quirky things like chess lessons and thousands of videos dating back to 1981 or so, with the boxes in albums and they'd get them for you from the back. A Korean restaurant moved in when it closed in 2004-2005 or so, with the owner retiring. Then, the other video store, a "new" one that opened up in 1994 in a neighborhood-style main street shopping area a few blocks west of my house, is closing. I remember it put out this other neighborhood place across the street when it opened in 1994, and visiting it for the first time is one of my most vivid memories from my young childhood.

Actually, in 1998 I went back and visited the pre-K I went to from 1992 to 1995, and actually remember my first day at. We still occasionally run into some of the teachers walking in the park in the area. This Sam Goody's where I bought my first CD in 1998 closed in a shopping plaza where the Grand Union changed into a Stop n' Shop around 9/11. It closed from competition from the Coconuts in another shopping plaza near my dad's apartment complex that I walk to sometime. There, there used to be a big old department store, the Rowe-Manse Emporium, that was honestly a dump but had a great Valentine's Day candy display we always went to until it closed in 2001.

My park has sort of stayed the same, but I remember it almost seemed a little neo-'80s until they fixed it up with trendy new plastic playground equipment in the prosperous late '90s. There was dangerous but rather fun wooden equipment that probably dated back to the '70s, along with the exercise equipment in a path through the park that some dedicated shoppers still take.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/25/06 at 9:23 am

Yeah, it's very weird how much things have changed. For example, both video stores I went to as a child closed. One was this little, family-run place with quirky things like chess lessons and thousands of videos dating back to 1981 or so, with the boxes in albums and they'd get them for you from the back. A Korean restaurant moved in when it closed in 2004-2005 or so, with the owner retiring. Then, the other video store, a "new" one that opened up in 1994 in a neighborhood-style main street shopping area a few blocks west of my house, is closing. I remember it put out this other neighborhood place across the street when it opened in 1994, and visiting it for the first time is one of my most vivid memories from my young childhood.

Actually, in 1998 I went back and visited the pre-K I went to from 1992 to 1995, and actually remember my first day at. We still occasionally run into some of the teachers walking in the park in the area. This Sam Goody's where I bought my first CD in 1998 closed in a shopping plaza where the Grand Union changed into a Stop n' Shop around 9/11. It closed from competition from the Coconuts in another shopping plaza near my dad's apartment complex that I walk to sometime. There, there used to be a big old department store, the Rowe-Manse Emporium, that was honestly a dump but had a great Valentine's Day candy display we always went to until it closed in 2001.

My park has sort of stayed the same, but I remember it almost seemed a little neo-'80s until they fixed it up with trendy new plastic playground equipment in the prosperous late '90s. There was dangerous but rather fun wooden equipment that probably dated back to the '70s, along with the exercise equipment in a path through the park that some dedicated shoppers still take.

Yeah, I remember going to alot of those "mom and pop" video rental stores as a kid in the 1992ish era too - that was when I started really getting into movies, and of course, they still carried alot of more (now) obscure '80s stuff, as well as specialty things like Music Videos or comedy shows, etc.

P.S. Weird (in a cool way), I started buying CD's in late 1998 too (well, my parents had had a couple CD players since the late '80s, but up till that point, I basically just bought tapes for myself). :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/25/06 at 9:36 am

Yeah it was weird, like I thought looking at my school would have made my nostalgia worse, if anything it's gotten a lot better, and I was glad that it hadn't changed much.

BTW, I agree with your sidenote about people......I hadn't really thought of it till you said it, but yeah that's what makes me notice "things have changed".

Yeah, I guess it's because it's sort of a relieving feeling that it still looks as it did when you went there - 'cause there are places that do look different in just a few years sometimes. When people who, say, grew up in the '50s have talked about their towns looking way different by the '70s or the '80s and get sad about it, I kinda know how they feel now.

LOL, yeah it's the same with me and the Meijer store we have, all of a sudden in '99 they started remodeling the place, it looks NOTHING like what it did back in the day.  One of my brothers (he's 22 now) was like "Man, if I had tons of money I would rebuild the old Meijer just to pretend I'm in the 90's again", haha.

I don't blame him on that - I'd do the same with alot of places I went to when I was younger. :)

BTW, isn't it weird how it's kinda hard to remember exactly what places look like before they were remodeled (I guess because construction and such takes awhile, so you'll only slowly see it changing)? There's a mall around here that just got a facelift completed about two years ago, and already I'm starting to forget what it looked like before 2001, LOL.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/25/06 at 9:43 am

So much has changed in my local area that the 90s almost seem like a dream - sometimes I have to ask myself if those places in my memory really existed. Like our local mall, for instance, which it's doing better than ever and the renovations etc were admittantly an improvement (though I do wish they'd kept the circa 1983 facade, if not the 1970-71 facade, which was torn down in the '83 remodelling), my fondest memories of the 'shopping centre' (as well call it here) hail from the 90s. The whole look, the ambience, the enthusiasm I had for visiting the shopping mall. Indeed, those once a month or one a fortnight trip was such a big deal then.

There used to be a few drive-in movie theatres in the 90s - the last went about 1999 or 2000 I think (I'm disappointed I never got a chance to visit a proper drive in), there was a Medieval 'Camelot' Bistro near the aforementioned mall which I remember visitng for my friend's 8th birthday party way back in 1994. The old Cash Converter's (like a pawn shop) where I used to buy discount CD's. I sort of miss diners/cafes within K-Mart stores...I just regret I didn't take more photographs, videos etc from back in the 90s. Ah well, for now at least I have my memories.

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/25/06 at 8:53 pm

I watched an old video tape a few minutes ago of Christmas 1994 and me swimming in our inflatable pool in June of 1995. I was 5 years old in those videos. Forgetting pop culture, that video looked like an entirely different world. I remember almost everything in those video clips. The reason it looked like another world was because of all of the changes I saw. It was an amazing journey.

Written By: audkal on 05/25/06 at 10:00 pm

Yeah sometimes I do feel like it was "just a dream"....it's scary how I used to make fun of my parents because they liked 70s music just for the memories...now I feel the same way about 90s music, it just seems weird.

Wouldn't it rock if heaven was like the 90s?  LOL....Honestly sometimes I do pray to God that it will be.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/25/06 at 10:21 pm

^ As corny as this will sound, I really do hope there's some form of time travel in the afterlife, just so we can relive things we may have forgotten about.

If heaven was like 1991, that'd be perfect 'cause I remember it exactly, but I was still more or less in my little kid years. Maybe I'd make it '94 so I can be 12 or 13.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/25/06 at 10:23 pm

I miss the '90s so much, especially as they get older and older. Mainly I'm nostalgic for the later half since I was older and remember so much better. 1998 is really starting to get old now, it's scary, lol.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/26/06 at 4:25 am

^ As corny as this will sound, I really do hope there's some form of time travel in the afterlife, just so we can relive things we may have forgotten about.

If heaven was like 1991, that'd be perfect 'cause I remember it exactly, but I was still more or less in my little kid years. Maybe I'd make it '94 so I can be 12 or 13.

Heaven to me would be California in 1967...retro shopping malls, the Doors, the Beach Boys, the Sunset Strip scene, decadent Topanga Canyon set...yeah baby!

Written By: TheBlackGuy.returns on 10/05/06 at 9:21 pm

Shut up, at least you all had the chance to experience and enjoy the 90s as teens  >:(..I am a 1990 child, so for all of the 90s, I was under ten and did not grow up with cable telivisiion (no nicklodeon for me  :\'(). I was too young to follow trends or events that were occuring, and my parents would never let me purchase my own music or allow me to listen to artists they deemed as "inappropriate". Now I'm a teen in the 00s, and nothing in pop culture seems to interests me as the 90s could have. It seems that I missed out on all the great sitcoms (Fresh Prince, Simpsons, Seinfield, etc) and all the good music (grunge, third wave ska, garage rock, alt rock, alt./gangsta rap, etc).

Now that I finally have cable and can listen to the radio, everything seems trashy to. I guess there's always a chance that when I get into my 20s and "90s nostalgia" arrives, it will be better  :-\\

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/06/06 at 3:20 pm

Shut up, at least you all had the chance to experience and enjoy the 90s as teens  >:(..I am a 1990 child, so for all of the 90s, I was under ten and did not grow up with cable telivisiion (no nicklodeon for me  :\'(). I was too young to follow trends or events that were occuring, and my parents would never let me purchase my own music or allow me to listen to artists they deemed as "inappropriate". Now I'm a teen in the 00s, and nothing in pop culture seems to interests me as the 90s could have. It seems that I missed out on all the great sitcoms (Fresh Prince, Simpsons, Seinfield, etc) and all the good music (grunge, third wave ska, garage rock, alt rock, alt./gangsta rap, etc).

Now that I finally have cable and can listen to the radio, everything seems trashy to. I guess there's always a chance that when I get into my 20s and "90s nostalgia" arrives, it will be better  :-\\

Yeah, but I was a teen during the cr*ppier boy band '90s c. 1998 (;D), I'd have rather been one in the 1990-'95 or '96 era.

I see what you're saying, though. I felt that way (and at times, kinda still do) about the '80s. I was born in 1981 and am a little jealous of the Brat Packers and '70s babies who have good memories of c. 1984.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/06/06 at 5:13 pm

Yeah, but I was a teen during the cr*ppier boy band '90s c. 1998 (;D), I'd have rather been one in the 1990-'95 or '96 era.

I see what you're saying, though. I felt that way (and at times, kinda still do) about the '80s. I was born in 1981 and am a little jealous of the Brat Packers and '70s babies who have good memories of c. 1984.

Muhahahahhahah *evil grin*

You should be!!! I don't blame ya!! Good times indeed!

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/06/06 at 6:12 pm

Muhahahahhahah *evil grin*

You should be!!! I don't blame ya!! Good times indeed!

Totally agree. (Then again, I did turn 13 in late 1994, so I guess I could squeak by, although I was more of a big 10-year old in terms of what I could do, than a "little" 16-year old.)

You know what's scary? Pop music has gotten so lousy that I now miss the boy bands of 1998 and '99. At the time, I swore I never would. ;D

Written By: Roadgeek on 10/06/06 at 7:02 pm

Totally agree. (Then again, I did turn 13 in late 1994, so I guess I could squeak by, although I was more of a big 10-year old in terms of what I could do, than a "little" 16-year old.)

You know what's scary? Pop music has gotten so lousy that I now miss the boy bands of 1998 and '99. At the time, I swore I never would. ;D

Believe it or not, up until 2005, I thought the boy bands of the late '90s were still popular.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/06/06 at 7:11 pm

Believe it or not, up until 2005, I thought the boy bands of the late '90s were still popular.

Yeah, in an indirect way, they sort of were. For example, I remember Justin Timberlake's solo album in '03 had a couple really big hits, and the members themselves were pretty much still all household names.

I think in '05 when the Backstreet Boys "comeback" didn't really become that successful (I only heard "Incomplete" on the radio or VH1 a couple times) is when it really hit that the era was over.

In the most extended sense, you could say the boy band/teenpop era was 1996-2003/04.

Written By: twistedwarp on 10/11/06 at 5:44 pm

well I go back in the 90's looking at our family videos from the 90's. Its amazing. also I look at my brothers rap music videos he used to record then.  :\'( I miss the 90's

Written By: Roadgeek on 10/11/06 at 7:31 pm

well I go back in the 90's looking at our family videos from the 90's. Its amazing. also I look at my brothers rap music videos he used to record then.  :\'( I miss the 90's

I do the same thing. Never under-estimate the power of home videos. ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/11/06 at 9:29 pm

I do the same thing. Never under-estimate the power of home videos. ;)

Yeah, home movies as well as anything recorded off TV/radio (especially the commercials or promos, which are even moreseo "tied to" their time) make you feel like you're actually there - even if, of course you know you're not. Anything that predates the TV ratings feels nostalgic to me now, lol.

Written By: audkal on 10/11/06 at 11:07 pm

Exactly Marty....with older videos recorded from TV, I'm so glad we also taped some of the commercials along with the shows.  It's so interesting watching the commercials especially.

Written By: Roadgeek on 10/11/06 at 11:12 pm

Exactly Marty....with older videos recorded from TV, I'm so glad we also taped some of the commercials along with the shows.  It's so interesting watching the commercials especially.

I agree with everyone here. Nothing gets my old school fires burning more than some good commercials of year past. Unfortunately, I've only got about one tape like that. It's an 8 hour Rugrats marathon tape I recorded on my 5th birthday on 11/27/1994. All the rest of those videos have been lost/recorded over. :(

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/12/06 at 12:45 am

I agree with everyone here. Nothing gets my old school fires burning more than some good commercials of year past. Unfortunately, I've only got about one tape like that. It's an 8 hour Rugrats marathon tape I recorded on my 5th birthday on 11/27/1994. All the rest of those videos have been lost/recorded over. :(

I've got about 4 tapes recorded in the '90s and 2 or 3 from the '80s. I watch 'em all the time :)

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/21/06 at 12:38 pm

When I think about the 90's, I think about my carefree days of high school. Those were the good ol' days! Especially 1996 (the summer between by junior and senior year).

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 10/22/06 at 9:29 am

The two 90's years I'm nostalgia for the most for, are '94 and '96.

Written By: logic908 on 11/13/06 at 3:05 pm

When I think about the 90's, I think about my carefree days of high school. Those were the good ol' days! Especially 1996 (the summer between by junior and senior year).

i hear that..that was the best summer for sure

Written By: tv on 11/29/06 at 1:31 am

Yeah, in an indirect way, they sort of were. For example, I remember Justin Timberlake's solo album in '03 had a couple really big hits, and the members themselves were pretty much still all household names.

I think in '05 when the Backstreet Boys "comeback" didn't really become that successful (I only heard "Incomplete" on the radio or VH1 a couple times) is when it really hit that the era was over.

In the most extended sense, you could say the boy band/teenpop era was 1996-2003/04.
No 1996 No. I think the whole teen-pop thing was like from 1997-2001.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/29/06 at 3:01 am

No 1996 No. I think the whole teen-pop thing was like from 1997-2001.

Yeah, 1997-2001 was the absolute peak of teen pop era. But alot of those artists started to get big around 1996, and teen pop wasn't totally dead until about 2003 or so.

Written By: tv on 11/30/06 at 12:27 am

Yeah, 1997-2001 was the absolute peak of teen pop era. But alot of those artists started to get big around 1996, and teen pop wasn't totally dead until about 2003 or so.
N'Sync didn;t hit the States until 1998 to hit it big in the US. I think the Backstreet Boys I think if I recall right had their first hit in the US in 1997. Britney Spears came out right before Christmas time in 1998. The Spice Girls might have came out in the US in 1996 though I'm not sure.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/30/06 at 2:50 am

N'Sync didn;t hit the States until 1998 to hit it big in the US. I think the Backstreet Boys I think if I recall right had their first hit in the US in 1997. Britney Spears came out right before Christmas time in 1998. The Spice Girls might have came out in the US in 1996 though I'm not sure.

The Spice Girls were very early 1997, for the US I believe, BSB and Spice were big over in europe in 1996 though before coming over to the US.

Written By: SG15Z on 12/06/06 at 2:32 pm

I totally miss the 90s. I recently took a drive to my childhood area and so much has changed. Strip malls everywhere, the Randalls that we use to buy our grocerys from was gone. One of our old neighbors back then moved out of their 90s hous just the other year and now I don't know anyone on that street. I went by my old school (haven't gone inside yet, but I should, and all the playgrounds from back than were gone or replace by those colorful plastic ones, When I was in K they had this wooden maze that I use to always play in, but now it's gone. Plus they put a chainlink fence all around te school. Many of the stores from that time period are gone, in fact I remember everyday on my way to school we would pass a club now that club is abondoned.

When I was young we didn't have many CDs. We were still a record and tape family. In fact I loved records, they were so much fun, now of course all of our record players are broken, but I hope to get them repaired or something so I can listen to those old records we have once again. Man Its weird being a 90s kid yet remembering records so well. I think it truly hit me that the good stuff from the 90s is gone just a few months ago when that 90s list that went around MySpace. Man it makes me sad. There's so much I miss...

Written By: Roadgeek on 12/06/06 at 3:06 pm

I totally miss the 90s. I recently took a drive to my childhood area and so much has changed. Strip malls everywhere, the Randalls that we use to buy our grocerys from was gone. One of our old neighbors back then moved out of their 90s hous just the other year and now I don't know anyone on that street. I went by my old school (haven't gone inside yet, but I should, and all the playgrounds from back than were gone or replace by those colorful plastic ones, When I was in K they had this wooden maze that I use to always play in, but now it's gone. Plus they put a chainlink fence all around te school. Many of the stores from that time period are gone, in fact I remember everyday on my way to school we would pass a club now that club is abondoned.

When I was young we didn't have many CDs. We were still a record and tape family. In fact I loved records, they were so much fun, now of course all of our record players are broken, but I hope to get them repaired or something so I can listen to those old records we have once again. Man Its weird being a 90s kid yet remembering records so well. I think it truly hit me that the good stuff from the 90s is gone just a few months ago when that 90s list that went around MySpace. Man it makes me sad. There's so much I miss...

I know how you feel. My area's changed so much since the '90s too. Carolina Circle Mall, the mall I'd hang out at when I was a kid in the '90s, closed in 2002 and was torn down in 2005. Now it's a Wal-Mart. ::)

Written By: SG15Z on 12/06/06 at 3:37 pm

I know how you feel. My area's changed so much since the '90s too. Carolina Circle Mall, the mall I'd hang out at when I was a kid in the '90s, closed in 2002 and was torn down in 2005. Now it's a Wal-Mart. ::)

Of course, it seems like their are Wal-Marts everywhere! I have three in my area that rea equal driving distance from my house. It's rediculous!

Written By: Banks on 12/10/06 at 4:23 am

I realise that this is for the 1990's, but I think feeling 'trapped' by nostalgia can happen to anyone, so Im going to talk about my 1970's early 1980's nostalgia...

The original OP is lucky that nothing had changed for him when he went back to his school...

Im a child of the 1970's (born in 1972). When I was in kindergarten it was 1977 and I had the chance to walk into my old kindergarten room and nothing was the same. The linolium floors had been carpeted over, the combustion fire had been replaced, nothing was the same except for the building structure itself. On the whole, except for the large shade covering over the cemented infants (elementary) school play area, the school looked pretty much the same. It was a double bonus for me because I used to live beside the school and could see into my old yard and home from the playground which rose up pretty high above the fence. My home has been altered a lot, but at least its still standing.

I handle my late 1970's/early 1980's nostalgia by immersing myself in the music, TV and films (Via DVD) and commercials (from old VHS tapes copied from TV) from the time. I talk to people about that time about what it was like for me and others. I look at photos and home movies/videos. I have many many many hours of home movies made of me and of around my home and home town (in Newcastle Australia) which start in 1965 and go until 1979 (with sound after 1977), when Video came in and a video camera was used to record onto. I watch those sometimes.

For the 1990's, I have numerous VHS tapes full of TV shows etc which feature the commercials. I even have about 7 or 8 VHS tapes FULL of the top 50 music videos for certain weeks during the 1990's (all taped commercial free and with full length music videos) which begin in 1990. The tapes are getting old now though I suppose. All were taped from Rage, an Australian ABC music video show which still airs to this day.

The 1990's were good for me. I met my wife and had my first child in 1998.

Those times are over and will never return, but often the memories of that time are better than what they really were, though, for me, the late 1970's and early 1980's really were THAT good.

AN

Written By: Trimac20 on 12/10/06 at 9:07 am

As painful as it might be, I don't ever want to lose that disparaging sense of longing I often feel about the 90s and my childhood...I live right next to my old primary school, and it has barely changed one bit since I was graduated almost 9 years ago (almost a decade!). Yet what I most long for is to get some idea of how things were - i.e., how familiar streets, shopping malls.etc looked say 10 years ago. There are very few photographs documenting this, unfortunately. I never thought I'd regret the fact I skipped taping the commercials all those years ago...

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/10/06 at 1:32 pm

As painful as it might be, I don't ever want to lose that disparaging sense of longing I often feel about the 90s and my childhood...I live right next to my old primary school, and it has barely changed one bit since I was graduated almost 9 years ago (almost a decade!). Yet what I most long for is to get some idea of how things were - i.e., how familiar streets, shopping malls.etc looked say 10 years ago. There are very few photographs documenting this, unfortunately. I never thought I'd regret the fact I skipped taping the commercials all those years ago...

I know how you feel. Back in the early '90s I used to record Saturday morning cartoons nearly every morning, so I could watch them if I got bored during the week or something. Eventually it got to the point where I had a good 25-30 tapes saved up from 1991/1992, mostly on ABC, with commercials and everything. Unfortunately over the years my parents recorded over most of those tapes :(.

I often miss the '90s(esp. the late '80s/early '90s), and when I do I usually just watch some of the tapes that I was able to save(like one from 1994 recorded off Fox Kids that lasts a good 6 hours). Sometimes I enjoy watching the commercials more than the shows.

Written By: Roadgeek on 12/10/06 at 3:02 pm

I know how you feel. Back in the early '90s I used to record Saturday morning cartoons nearly every morning, so I could watch them if I got bored during the week or something. Eventually it got to the point where I had a good 25-30 tapes saved up from 1991/1992, mostly on ABC, with commercials and everything. Unfortunately over the years my parents recorded over most of those tapes :(.

I often miss the '90s(esp. the late '80s/early '90s), and when I do I usually just watch some of the tapes that I was able to save(like one from 1994 recorded off Fox Kids that lasts a good 6 hours). Sometimes I enjoy watching the commercials more than the shows.

I'm with you all. Most of my early-mid '90s tapes have been recorded over with late '90s and '00s stuff. I only have an 8 hour Rugrats marathon from 1994 and a 30 minute WFMY News 2 report about the fair also from 1994.

Written By: audkal on 12/10/06 at 10:25 pm

The original OP is lucky that nothing had changed for him when he went back to his school...

Im a child of the 1970's (born in 1972). When I was in kindergarten it was 1977 and I had the chance to walk into my old kindergarten room and nothing was the same. The linolium floors had been carpeted over, the combustion fire had been replaced, nothing was the same except for the building structure itself. On the whole, except for the large shade covering over the cemented infants (elementary) school play area, the school looked pretty much the same. It was a double bonus for me because I used to live beside the school and could see into my old yard and home from the playground which rose up pretty high above the fence. My home has been altered a lot, but at least its still standing.

Actually now that you mention that, a lot of things were changed with my Kindergarten room (the carpet and a bunch of other stuff).  The building structure was the same though, which was enough to take me back.  I was happy to see that the school library was completely the same though.  It was surprising for me because the school itself has already done a lot of remodeling.

As painful as it might be, I don't ever want to lose that disparaging sense of longing I often feel about the 90s and my childhood...

I feel that way too, which seems kind of odd in a way....I don't want to be depressed, yet I don't want to exactly forget what my life was like back then, you know?

Back in the early '90s I used to record Saturday morning cartoons nearly every morning, so I could watch them if I got bored during the week or something. Eventually it got to the point where I had a good 25-30 tapes saved up from 1991/1992, mostly on ABC, with commercials and everything. Unfortunately over the years my parents recorded over most of those tapes :(.

Most of my early-mid '90s tapes have been recorded over with late '90s and '00s stuff.

Dang that must suck!  :\'(  I'm very fortunate to have had brothers who lived in the 80s, so they have a lot of stuff they taped from the late 80s-mid 90s.  They were also protective of their taped stuff (I can't tell you how many times my mom has asked if she could tape over it.)  I was actually up with my brother the other night and we watched some old SNL episodes from 1990--good stuff.  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/10/06 at 10:52 pm

I'm with everyone - I'm also fiercely protective of stuff I've recorded (or, say something my parents did) any more than five years ago. Audio mixtapes too, like we had this huge boombox with a CD player and a dual tape deck. I think my dad bought it in '89 and it lasted until 2001 - in fact, the tape motor messed up when I put too much head cleaning fluid in it. :(  I now keep anything that was ever taped on that one, even making a few copies. People who know me would probably think that's weird, lol.

I had quite a bit of VH1 footage in the early '90s, but sadly alot of that got erased or the tapes got messed up/thrown out/lost. There's even a VH1 tape from 1991 that I later erased with 1993 cop shows. It's weird because while I'm mad at myself for erasing the music videos, those Real Stories of the Highway Patrol episodes are part of my past too. ;)

Yeah, I like old-school commercials almost more than the shows, too. That really makes you feel "there".

Written By: audkal on 12/10/06 at 11:43 pm

Yeah, I like old-school commercials almost more than the shows, too. That really makes you feel "there".

Totally. http://www.fanforum.com/images/smilies/thumbs_up.gif

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/11/06 at 12:05 am

I'm with everyone - I'm also fiercely protective of stuff I've recorded (or, say something my parents did) any more than five years ago. Audio mixtapes too, like we had this huge boombox with a CD player and a dual tape deck. I think my dad bought it in '89 and it lasted until 2001 - in fact, the tape motor messed up when I put too much head cleaning fluid in it. :(  I now keep anything that was ever taped on that one, even making a few copies. People who know me would probably think that's weird, lol.

I had quite a bit of VH1 footage in the early '90s, but sadly alot of that got erased or the tapes got messed up/thrown out/lost. There's even a VH1 tape from 1991 that I later erased with 1993 cop shows. It's weird because while I'm mad at myself for erasing the music videos, those Real Stories of the Highway Patrol episodes are part of my past too. ;)

Yeah, I had alot of cool stuff on tape that got recorded over. I know I had the '92, '93, and '94 Super Bowls on tape and they all got recorded over :(

I agree about the commercials too. The fun part to me is watching an old tape to see if you actually remember any of the commercials.

Written By: Roadgeek on 12/11/06 at 1:21 pm

Watching an old episode of a TV show on live TV isn't as fun because it's mixed with new commercials, scenes cut, and etc.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/11/06 at 7:21 pm

Yeah, I had alot of cool stuff on tape that got recorded over. I know I had the '92, '93, and '94 Super Bowls on tape and they all got recorded over :(

I agree about the commercials too. The fun part to me is watching an old tape to see if you actually remember any of the commercials.

Yeah, discovering something you don't remember is almost more of a treat than something you know you had. For instance, I forgot all about this Golden Grahams spot in the mid '90s where this surfer dude-like teen is at home when his mom leaves. He discoveres they're out of it, so he jumps over a few fences and through yards in the neighborhood to stop his mom's car and go, "Yo mom! We're outta Golden Grahams!"

I miss dashing to the VCR to tape certain commercials. I haven't done that in years.

P.S. Have you ever watched something advertized in an old commercial and been bummed that, since it's not the "present", you can't really go out and get it anymore?

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 12/12/06 at 12:20 am

It's great to put the 90's into perspective. Man, I remember when everything was new, and nothing seemed "special feeling". Now, looking back, at least pre-1999 (Because it still feels too new), is so cool.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/12/06 at 10:02 am

Yeah, discovering something you don't remember is almost more of a treat than something you know you had. For instance, I forgot all about this Golden Grahams spot in the mid '90s where this surfer dude-like teen is at home when his mom leaves. He discoveres they're out of it, so he jumps over a few fences and through yards in the neighborhood to stop his mom's car and go, "Yo mom! We're outta Golden Grahams!"

I miss dashing to the VCR to tape certain commercials. I haven't done that in years.

P.S. Have you ever watched something advertized in an old commercial and been bummed that, since it's not the "present", you can't really go out and get it anymore?

Yeah, I know that feeling. Especially if a commercial for something like an old video game comes on. Even though you can still go on something like Ebay and get, it's still obviously not as accessible as it was when the commercials originally aired.

And mostly I just like watching old commercials period. Both for the ones I may remember and the ones I may not. Actually Marty would you agree that old commercials(esp. ones from the late '80s-mid '90s) are just better overall than the ones shown today?

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/14/06 at 8:41 pm

Yeah, I know that feeling. Especially if a commercial for something like an old video game comes on. Even though you can still go on something like Ebay and get, it's still obviously not as accessible as it was when the commercials originally aired.

And mostly I just like watching old commercials period. Both for the ones I may remember and the ones I may not. Actually Marty would you agree that old commercials(esp. ones from the late '80s-mid '90s) are just better overall than the ones shown today?

Yeah, there's not that many I like anymore. And I'm almost always fast-forwarding past them when I timer-record shows now. Although I actually do want to save some of them for when I want to have a mid '00s time capsule.

Watching something older that re-airs now doesn't feel the same as if its from an original broadcast. Like something from 1994 that actually is FROM 1994 feels more special than a re-airing of a Full House episode on ABC Family nowadays.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/14/06 at 9:11 pm

I always said that it would be really neat if they took like a week, and aired all old commercials. There are so many that I would LOVE to see, and so many that I have probably forgotten about...it would be really neato to see them again.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/14/06 at 9:29 pm

I always said that it would be really neat if they took like a week, and aired all old commercials. There are so many that I would LOVE to see, and so many that I have probably forgotten about...it would be really neato to see them again.

Yeah, commercials were best from 1990-1998 or so.

I hope if there's an afterlife, they've got early '90s VH1 programming on repeat too. 8)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/15/06 at 3:22 pm

I have done similar things myself. I went to one school between 1986 and 1992 and I sometimes drive by it when I head to college (which is nearby) and they still have the same pre-school structures that I once use to climb on. I am still surprised they have maintained them for so long. The school has changed though, since I last step foot on it in 1992. They added a gymnasium in the "back forty" (as we called it), they upgraded the preschool building and also added a cafeteria which we did not have. It was a private school, so it was very much like a home to me to be there.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/15/06 at 3:32 pm

I have done similar things myself. I went to one school between 1986 and 1992 and I sometimes drive by it when I head to college (which is nearby) and they still have the same pre-school structures that I once use to climb on. I am still surprised they have maintained them for so long. The school has changed though, since I last step foot on it in 1992. They added a gymnasium in the "back forty" (as we called it), they upgraded the preschool building and also added a cafeteria which we did not have. It was a private school, so it was very much like a home to me to be there.

Wow, that was an ancient post I forgot I made. 8)

You're lucky you're in the same area as your childhood school. I moved around alot in my pre-14 years (all over the Bay Area and Sacramento), so just my old hometown's are nostalgia in themselves. I have no idea what some of my schools look like since I was actually there.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/15/06 at 3:37 pm

I still drive by my old primary school sometimes. It's been shutdown for years and unfortunately is in pretty bad shape. What was cool though is that a few months ago me and my brother actually stopped by there and(because the doors were unlocked)went inside.

It was in horrible shape inside and seemed alot smaller than I remembered it even though to be fair I haven't actually been in there in almost 12 years. We may have been trespassing but it was still cool to go back inside after all these years.

Written By: Chairman on 01/01/07 at 3:10 pm

Hi everyone.  Reading all these posts just gives me chills.  I was born in 1984 (with big brother watching :)) so the 1990s were my childhood.  Of course I associate the,

Written By: audkal on 01/01/07 at 9:51 pm

People today can just download their favorite songs if they want to, but things were different in the 90s.  When I didn't have the cash, or the need, to buy a CD I would take a tape recorder and record my favorite songs off the radio.  Did anyone else do this?

Oh yeah.  My bro taught me how to do that when I was 5.  So I was able to do it on my own....one time (it was summer '96--so I was like 6 or 7), I called our radio station and requested Green Day's "When I Come Around".  It took them like 1 1/2 hours to finally play it but while I was waiting for it to come on, I almost filled up my whole cassette with other songs because ALMOST ALL OF THEM WERE GOOD!  I can't imagine taping that many good songs in one sitting these days.  ;D

I also remember the manual card catalogs (some of our libraries didn't get digital ones until like 2 years ago). 

We had Sega and PS1 when they were new too.  I'm surprised our Sega Genesis still works....I actually play it quite regularly.  No joke, last night (New Year's Eve), my brothers and I stayed up till 4:30 am playing SG in my room, it was like old times!  :)

Written By: Roadgeek on 01/01/07 at 9:54 pm

No joke, last night (New Year's Eve), my brothers and I stayed up till 4:30 am playing SG in my room, it was like old times!  :)

For some reason, nostalgia works best at night.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/02/07 at 1:09 am

Hi everyone.  Reading all these posts just gives me chills.  I was born in 1984 (with big brother watching :)) so the 1990s were my childhood.  Of course I associate the,

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/02/07 at 1:30 am

When I am listening to a 90s song I can still remember the year and month when i first heard it.  This brings back memories of my elementary and Jr high years.  People today can just download their favorite songs if they want to, but things were different in the 90s.  When I didn't have the cash, or the need, to buy a CD I would take a tape recorder and record my favorite songs off the radio.  Did anyone else do this?  The internet has changed so many aspects of our lives in just 15 years. 

Yeah, I sometimes mourn that the 1997+ world (especially starting in the early '00s) killed off alot of the "old school" aspects around for a long time before that. My memories go back as far as 1985ish, so I kinda resisted the Internet, CD burning and digital tech when it was all new.

Honestly, I have mixed feelings on it today. I've gotten more accustomed to it. Yeah, I enjoy the conveinence of being able to find almost any music video or vintage clips I want on YouTube in just a few seconds. I like various things about going online and the ease of having a cellphone and I wouldn't want to lose any of that. Yet, at the same time, I miss experiencing a time before all that stuff was popular, does that make sense?

I sometimes feel like I'm already equal to a grandpa in that regard too, so no worries, man. 8)

Oh yeah.  My bro taught me how to do that when I was 5.  So I was able to do it on my own....one time (it was summer '96--so I was like 6 or 7), I called our radio station and requested Green Day's "When I Come Around".  It took them like 1 1/2 hours to finally play it but while I was waiting for it to come on, I almost filled up my whole cassette with other songs because ALMOST ALL OF THEM WERE GOOD!  I can't imagine taping that many good songs in one sitting these days.  ;D

I totally miss doing the same thing with VH1 music videos when I was around 10 - at the time, they played a combination of new stuff from the then-present of 1991/'92 along with '80s classics. Even songs from, say 1983 were still in frequent enough rotation then (now you're lucky if they play something from six months ago!).

Ironically I started videotaping a few years before audio (not until I was about 12 - before then, my parents or uncle usually made mixtapes). In fact, I probably got a late start compared to most of you guys who did it when you were around 5 to 7! ;) But yeah, I used to have a portable full-sized tape recorder that I commonly took with me and record random things. Occasionally I'd make a rough copy of songs off the radio (say, if I was at someone's house and couldn't do it myself).

Does anyone think this sort of thing made it even more special? Like we appreciated it more since we didn't take it as much for granted when we were all kids. I look at myself now and almost think I'm spoiled (even if I work for the money to do it), burning mix CDs all the time or commonly blowing through 50 bucks at once buying tons of entertainment-related things. Whereas, I used to really look forward to getting ONE song or movie after saving up for a week.

My 1994 self would be really envious of my 2007 self, and I almost regret that, lol.

P.S. That's my favorite Green Day song (although I didn't get into them until the late '90s).

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/02/07 at 6:17 am

My 1994 self would be really envious of my 2007 self, and I almost regret that, lol.

Lol,i feel like that too. I'm kind of happy that i'm an adult now,'cause i would go insane with the technology of nowdays if i was a kid now,i probably would be online all day and never leave the house...
The problem is we are all jaded now,too much info,everything is so easy that you just don't appreciate it anymore.I miss being a teenager in the 90's 'cause everything was so much more exciting,music was the meaning of my existence,everytime a new album from a band i liked came out i would go to the store and look at it for weeks before i could buy it,and when i finally had it i would listen to it 24/7,unlike nowdays i would listen to every single song and try to write the lyrics myself,cause there was no such thing as lyrics.com lol

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/02/07 at 6:35 am

Lol,i feel like that too. I'm kind of happy that i'm an adult now,'cause i would go insane with the technology of nowdays if i was a kid now,i probably would be online all day and never leave the house...
The problem is we are all jaded now,too much info,everything is so easy that you just don't appreciate it anymore.I miss being a teenager in the 90's 'cause everything was so much more exciting,music was the meaning of my existence,everytime a new album from a band i liked came out i would go to the store and look at it for weeks before i could buy it,and when i finally had it i would listen to it 24/7,unlike nowdays i would listen to every single song and try to write the lyrics myself,cause there was no such thing as lyrics.com lol

Yeah, in a way, it was also fun to mishear lyrics without knowing what the correct ones were!

Browsing in stores was/is a great thing to do. Despite the fact that I "grew up" grew up with '80s music, I was still discovering alot of '80s (and older) stuff during the '90s, along with current things, so I had alot to pick from.

There does seem to be less "mystery" nowadays with so much tech.

Written By: audkal on 01/02/07 at 10:07 pm

Does anyone think this sort of thing made it even more special? Like we appreciated it more since we didn't take it as much for granted when we were all kids. I look at myself now and almost think I'm spoiled (even if I work for the money to do it), burning mix CDs all the time or commonly blowing through 50 bucks at once buying tons of entertainment-related things. Whereas, I used to really look forward to getting ONE song or movie after saving up for a week.

Exactly!  I used to like worship the songs that I would wait hours for the radio to play.  Now that I can just get them on iTunes, they don't seem as great as they used to be.  I also know the feeling of guilt and feeling spoiled when it comes to electronics these days.  ;D

Written By: Banks on 01/28/07 at 4:56 am

'I kinda resisted the Internet, CD burning and digital tech when it was all new.'

I resisted for a long time too. As you may or may not know, Im a child of the late 1970's/1980's and was a 20something in the 1990's, and I remember television commercials in 1997 and onwards that would say things like, "For more information log onto www.blahblahblah.com and it would make me really mad because I wanted the info too, but didnt have, nor wanted a computer. I still dont own a mobile phone because if I want to be unreachable, then I want to be unreachable and not have to explain why my phone was turned off.

You guys are all talking about nintendo 64's etc...I have ALL my old gaming consols from Pong to atari to sega mega drive to Ninyendo Master system to playstation...Hell I still own my hand held Nintendo games like the twin screen Donkey Kong and Mario's Flower Shop etc. Ive noticed gaming has come along way from my day with two sticks on a screen trying to hit a blip.

Yesterday I found some 4 hour tapes filled with TV shows Id taped from 1991 to 1995, all with commercials. Its amazing to find that I remembered most of them.

I even found some old tapes from 1987 or 1988 and Aussies will remember the D-D-D-Decore commercials to the tune of The Duke Of Earl and the Australis Perfume ads. I have tapes that go back into the late 1970's...But Im too afraid to play them incase they snap, so Im waiting to burn them onto DVD...See, Im not THAT adverse to technology, so long as it helps to save my old stuff.

AN

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/28/07 at 9:33 am

My 1994 self wouldn't be envious of my 2007 self.  ;D  ::)

Written By: RetroSunnyDays on 02/24/07 at 6:57 pm

I feel happy knowing I'm not the only one to be depressed alot about remembering the good times or the good days...I miss them so much and I wish I could relive them at times, the 90's and early 00's...
Wow, I thought I was alone in getting depressed about the memories I get..

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/24/07 at 10:50 pm

I feel happy knowing I'm not the only one to be depressed alot about remembering the good times or the good days...I miss them so much and I wish I could relive them at times, the 90's and early 00's...
Wow, I thought I was alone in getting depressed about the memories I get..

you are definitely not alone...there are a bunch of us here that feel that way. :)

Written By: audkal on 02/24/07 at 11:11 pm

Yep you're definitely not the only one.  I thought I was at first (when I was 15 I started being nostalgic about '93-'97), but then I found this site.  It was at least comforting to know that there were more people out there who felt the same way I felt about the 90s.  :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/24/07 at 11:18 pm

Wow, I'm surprised how long this thread has held on (well, I've contributed myself on a bit). ;)

I guess, despite that I like the '80s a little more (for my first worldview, and music especially), I can contribute more about the '90s, since I can remember everything with more clarity.

To put it in perspective, I guess the '80s are like my comfy bed at home that I wake up in every morning and feel the most secure in. Although I'm still groggy and not totally "with it" yet, I like what I'm experiencing. The '90s are like my best friend's house next door that I go and see once I'm totally up and prepared after breakfast. I do more hanging out and "cool" stuff with him that I can talk about later. There's apprehension and enthusiam all around for different things. I ultimately see the whole package as exciting, even if once the day is over, I'm gonna back to sleep in my Eighties bedroom.

The '00s are like my other friend across town who teaches me more about the world to come. I get to know him a little better all the time and still enjoy being with him, even if he doesn't quite compare to the feeling I get in my neighborhood.

P.S. I know I'm a dork with all these analogies. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/24/07 at 11:19 pm

No worries...it's a good thing! ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/24/07 at 11:30 pm

No worries...it's a good thing! ;)

Aw thanks, you're sweet. :)

I'm self-depricating in a lighthearted, humorous way. I guess one life philosophy I have is to laugh at yourself before anyone else can (not that I'd think you would anyway, of course), lol.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/24/07 at 11:34 pm

Aw thanks, you're sweet. :)

I'm self-depricating in a lighthearted, humorous way. I guess one life philosophy I have is to laugh at yourself before anyone else can (not that I'd think you would anyway, of course), lol.

I hear ya on that one! I am usually laughing at myself right along with everyone else! :D ;D

Written By: RetroSunnyDays on 02/25/07 at 7:30 am

Lol, wicked!
Thanks for comforting me of some sort..glad.

Written By: audkal on 02/25/07 at 2:54 pm

Wow, I'm surprised how long this thread has held on (well, I've contributed myself on a bit). ;)

I guess, despite that I like the '80s a little more (for my first worldview, and music especially), I can contribute more about the '90s, since I can remember everything with more clarity.

To put it in perspective, I guess the '80s are like my comfy bed at home that I wake up in every morning and feel the most secure in. Although I'm still groggy and not totally "with it" yet, I like what I'm experiencing. The '90s are like my best friend's house next door that I go and see once I'm totally up and prepared after breakfast. I do more hanging out and "cool" stuff with him that I can talk about later. There's apprehension and enthusiam all around for different things. I ultimately see the whole package as exciting, even if once the day is over, I'm gonna back to sleep in my Eighties bedroom.

The '00s are like my other friend across town who teaches me more about the world to come. I get to know him a little better all the time and still enjoy being with him, even if he doesn't quite compare to the feeling I get in my neighborhood.

Hehe, those are interesting analogies.  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/26/07 at 5:02 pm

That's actually a pretty great analogy Marty. I think I sort of feel like the same way about the late 80's/'90s and '00s as you feel about the '80s and' 90s. Even though there are some things from the early '00s that I've been a bit nostalgic about lately, there will always be something more comfortable to me about the 1989-1999 time period.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/26/07 at 9:16 pm

That's actually a pretty great analogy Marty. I think I sort of feel like the same way about the late 80's/'90s and '00s as you feel about the '80s and' 90s. Even though there are some things from the early '00s that I've been a bit nostalgic about lately, there will always be something more comfortable to me about the 1989-1999 time period.

Thanks man. Yeah, believe it or not, the early '00s have earned a tinge of nostalgia in my book too, although at the time I never would've said that.

I started anticipating getting older when I started my Junior year. Just being suddenly part of the "older side" of the students when I was 16 going on 17 back in 1998. Once I graduated, I knew life would never quite be the same again. It was like oh geez, what the hell do I do with my life now?, lol.

While I've still had fun since then and have started working towards some of my ambitions, I now understand the whole "innocence of being a kid" thing. Nowadays, I work all the time (often two or three jobs at once, at least for awhile) just to make ends meet and miss the days before that was necesarry. The "under 13 or 14" years are special for that. Even 14/15-17 is like pre-adult in many ways - preparing for college, getting a first job.

P.S. I guess for 80s-born folks, we see the '80s and '90s as Baby Boomers see the '50s because they're thinking back to when they played sports in the street with the other kids and thinking of a time before life got more complicated and rougher (i.e. Vietnam war, Watergate, or just the gritter life in the late '60s).

Written By: audkal on 02/26/07 at 11:28 pm

Yeah, believe it or not, the early '00s have earned a tinge of nostalgia in my book too, although at the time I never would've said that.

I've been feeling a little like that too, it seems weird to even think of being nostalgic for any part of the 00s, haha.  I'm actually very nostalgic for the first half of '06 believe it or not.  :o

Though my total comfort zone is and probably always will be the '93-'97 era.

Written By: chiefyamick on 02/27/07 at 12:46 am

Marty that was an awesome analogy!! I grew up in the 80's (by age 4 I could do the entire "Thriller" dance), but the 90's was truly (for me at least) a time of discovery and self- realization. This was the decade where I got my first job, my driver's licence, graduated high school (1997) and college (1999). It still amazes me when I really sit down and think about all that has gone on in life during those years. I'm glad I stumbled across this thread tonight, lol now I can sit and get all nastolgic again!! :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/27/07 at 12:54 am

^Thanks. :) I had no idea my analogy would catch on, lol.

Yeah, I can even remember some of the excitement about the Thriller singles and videos as it happened, believe it or not. My parents and other adults were at least marginally MTV watchers in those days.

I just thought about this, but it's amazing how many different aged people could rightfully claim they "grew up" with Michael Jackson. VH1 at least played his stuff well into the '90s too, so that's another thing '80s and '90s kids can share in common.

Written By: chiefyamick on 02/27/07 at 12:57 am

..although to this day I still am not sure if I liked the video for "Beat It" or the one for Weird Al's "Eat It" better!!! ROFL  :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/27/07 at 1:06 am

..although to this day I still am not sure if I liked the video for "Beat It" or the one for Weird Al's "Eat It" better!!! ROFL   :D

I think the song "Beat It" was more influential for introducing the MTV pop audience to Mike's music, rather than for the video itself, ya know? Eddie Van Halen did the guitar solo, so that was a big thing. "Billie Jean" did it for his commercial success in general, and "Thriller" for the video world.

Yeah, in those days Weird Al did almost an exact replica of the original video with little in jokes. He's always been good at it, though. 8)

Written By: holicman on 02/27/07 at 7:54 am

I regret that there are a few things I didnt do in the 90's.

There are a few other things I wish I had done that I didnt do............. :\'(

Written By: tv on 02/27/07 at 12:58 pm

I think the song "Beat It" was more influential for introducing the MTV pop audience to Mike's music, rather than for the video itself, ya know? Eddie Van Halen did the guitar solo, so that was a big thing. "Billie Jean" did it for his commercial success in general, and "Thriller" for the video world.

The "Beat It" video had a gangsta rap influence too it sort  of too because of the "Entorouge" that Michael had behind him in that video and I think Michael Jackson was beating up people too if I can remember in that video. I should also add actor Michael De LoLeronzo was in the "Beat It" Video too. He starred in TV shows like "Fame". "New York Undercover" and "Resserection Blvd".

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/27/07 at 5:05 pm

Thanks man. Yeah, believe it or not, the early '00s have earned a tinge of nostalgia in my book too, although at the time I never would've said that.

I started anticipating getting older when I started my Junior year. Just being suddenly part of the "older side" of the students when I was 16 going on 17 back in 1998. Once I graduated, I knew life would never quite be the same again. It was like oh geez, what the hell do I do with my life now?, lol.

While I've still had fun since then and have started working towards some of my ambitions, I now understand the whole "innocence of being a kid" thing. Nowadays, I work all the time (often two or three jobs at once, at least for awhile) just to make ends meet and miss the days before that was necesarry. The "under 13 or 14" years are special for that. Even 14/15-17 is like pre-adult in many ways - preparing for college, getting a first job.

P.S. I guess for 80s-born folks, we see the '80s and '90s as Baby Boomers see the '50s because they're thinking back to when they played sports in the street with the other kids and thinking of a time before life got more complicated and rougher (i.e. Vietnam war, Watergate, or just the gritter life in the late '60s).

Yeah, that makes sense. I could see how a Baby Boomer that grew up in the '50s and early '60s would look back on that time as being much more peaceful and innocent than post 1963, and how those of us born in the '80s would feel the same way about the '80s and '90s.

As far as the early '00s go, sometimes I do get nostalgic about 2000 and the first half of 2001. It's kind of weird how quickly the early '00s started to get old. I mean 2000 has already been 7 years ago. Alot of stuff that was popular then has become passe now, even though it still seems like yesterday in alot of ways.

Written By: d90 on 12/02/17 at 12:39 pm

Yeah, that makes sense. I could see how a Baby Boomer that grew up in the '50s and early '60s would look back on that time as being much more peaceful and innocent than post 1963, and how those of us born in the '80s would feel the same way about the '80s and '90s.

As far as the early '00s go, sometimes I do get nostalgic about 2000 and the first half of 2001. It's kind of weird how quickly the early '00s started to get old. I mean 2000 has already been 7 years ago. Alot of stuff that was popular then has become passe now, even though it still seems like yesterday in alot of ways

Yeah that's true.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 12/21/17 at 4:44 pm

I could see how a Baby Boomer that grew up in the '50s and early '60s would look back on that time as being much more peaceful and innocent than post 1963

I know this post is old but it struck me how true this actually is of my Dad. (Born in 1952) he always viewed the mid to late 60's as turbulent and the 50's as the happier years.

Check for new replies or respond here...