inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are the late '90s cheesy?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/20/06 at 11:18 pm

I think the late '90s are insanely cheesy, even more than the '80s, in some ways.

Subject: Re: Are the late '90s cheesy?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/20/06 at 11:28 pm

I still don't know 100% what "cheesy" means.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/20/06 at 11:53 pm

Not as much as the early '90s.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/21/06 at 12:44 am

The late '90s were more fun and breezy and laid-back than truly cheesy. They were silly, but not quite "cheesy" to me, as cheesiness implies taking yourself seriously and having a "hairspray", overblown thing going on which the era from the Macarena to 9/11 didn't.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/21/06 at 3:43 am

I think the late '90s are insanely cheesy, even more than the '80s, in some ways.

Not at all, the late 90s were the least cheesy part of the 90s. The fashion was unremarkeable, and as velvet said it was a 'light and breezy' time due to the fact the world political sphere was quite stable. The only thing about the late 90s that could be denigrated as 'cheese' is the teen pop phenomena.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/21/06 at 9:29 am

Not at all, the late 90s were the least cheesy part of the 90s. The fashion was unremarkeable, and as velvet said it was a 'light and breezy' time due to the fact the world political sphere was quite stable. The only thing about the late 90s that could be denigrated as 'cheese' is the teen pop phenomena.

I think they were more silly than cheesy...including the teen pop.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/21/06 at 10:08 am

I think they were more silly than cheesy...including the teen pop.

I think 'S Club 7' crosses the line from silly to cheesy...lol

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/21/06 at 11:19 am

I was thinking that the late 90's had some similarities to the early 80's new wave era, only more rock instead of synth. The vocals of bands such as Chumbawumba and Smash Mouth is what sounded similar to the new wave bands of the early 80's.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/21/06 at 12:06 pm

The late 90's can best be defined as the "post modern era". 1997 was when club/techno/house music really came in style in the U.S. It was also post modern with all the technological advances. How long would you say the post modern era lasted for? I noticed it started to die out in 2001, but there were still some holdovers left in 2002 and even 2003.

Written By: 1993 on 05/21/06 at 12:18 pm

The late 90's, the economy was booming, we has peace, president clinton screwed around but we loved him anyway...we had the time and money to distract ourselves with carefree bubble gum teeny bop stuff (and mostly everything was POP back then, even metal was pop-metal) people were over indulging in electronics (everybody was wearing hip new cellphones, playstations, DVD's) Grunge fashion was permanently discarded. Bright colors were in, flip flops, blond hair, the "beach bum" look was in.

It was just a time to have fun and discard the supposed morbid, depressing early 90's

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/21/06 at 2:35 pm

I wouln't say insanely cheesy I'd say slightly cheesy.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/21/06 at 8:36 pm

The late 90's, the economy was booming, we has peace, president clinton screwed around but we loved him anyway...we had the time and money to distract ourselves with carefree bubble gum teeny bop stuff (and mostly everything was POP back then, even metal was pop-metal) people were over indulging in electronics (everybody was wearing hip new cellphones, playstations, DVD's) Grunge fashion was permanently discarded. Bright colors were in, flip flops, blond hair, the "beach bum" look was in.

It was just a time to have fun and discard the supposed morbid, depressing early 90's

To me, the late '90s was about the summer of 1998 to the spring of 2000. I remember that "beach bum", flip-flop, dyed blonde look, and the utter dominance of pop. People were very, very silly in a way, I think....carefree. There were still alot of "morbid, depressing" grunge/alt rock types lying around, but it didn't quite have the same dominance over pop culture as it did in say 1995.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/23/06 at 3:41 am

To me, the late '90s was about the summer of 1998 to the spring of 2000. I remember that "beach bum", flip-flop, dyed blonde look, and the utter dominance of pop. People were very, very silly in a way, I think....carefree. There were still alot of "morbid, depressing" grunge/alt rock types lying around, but it didn't quite have the same dominance over pop culture as it did in say 1995.

Yes, I think the 'funness' could be expressed in the popularity of Dance/Trance, 'Happy Hardcore', 'Acid House' styles of music, the predominance of the Ibiza/Euro-disco clubbing scene, and such carefree summer tune's as Len's 'Steal my Sunshine.'

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/23/06 at 12:08 pm

Yes, I think the 'funness' could be expressed in the popularity of Dance/Trance, 'Happy Hardcore', 'Acid House' styles of music, the predominance of the Ibiza/Euro-disco clubbing scene, and such carefree summer tune's as Len's 'Steal my Sunshine.'

Yeah, dance/trance, country-pop and teen pop, stuff like Smash Mouth and Len, and on the converse rather "fun" styles like goth and nu metal (they were more fun in their bleakness) exemplify that mid 1998-early 2000 sort of feel. Meanwhile mid-1996 to mid-1998 had some of that, and was definitely poppier than the "true mid '90s" or the early '90s, but a fairly dark song like "Sex and Candy" by Marcy Playground never could've been as popular as it was in 1999. 

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/23/06 at 9:18 pm

Yeah, dance/trance, country-pop and teen pop, stuff like Smash Mouth and Len, and on the converse rather "fun" styles like goth and nu metal (they were more fun in their bleakness) exemplify that mid 1998-early 2000 sort of feel. Meanwhile mid-1996 to mid-1998 had some of that, and was definitely poppier than the "true mid '90s" or the early '90s, but a fairly dark song like "Sex and Candy" by Marcy Playground never could've been as popular as it was in 1999. 

I quite liked 'Sex and Candy' - it captured that cynical, ironic vibe of the 90s sort of seen in shows like 'Daria' and 'Beavis and Butthead.' Alot of the kids/teens shows were also very dark during this period, concentrating on issues such as drug addiction, suicide.etc. There was a blanket of darkness over most of the earlieish-to mid 90s which only really cleared towards the late 90s.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/24/06 at 5:26 am

I quite liked 'Sex and Candy' - it captured that cynical, ironic vibe of the 90s sort of seen in shows like 'Daria' and 'Beavis and Butthead.' Alot of the kids/teens shows were also very dark during this period, concentrating on issues such as drug addiction, suicide.etc. There was a blanket of darkness over most of the earlieish-to mid 90s which only really cleared towards the late 90s.

"Sex and Candy" is one of my favorite songs from the last half of the '90s...it sort of really reminds me of being like eight and "cynical."

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/24/06 at 6:58 am

"Sex and Candy" is one of my favorite songs from the last half of the '90s...it sort of really reminds me of being like eight and "cynical."

A cynical Eight year old? Is there a sadder thing than that?

I'm fortunate in that I didn't even know what it was like to be cynical as an 8-year old, lol. But yeah, I doubt a song like that would have been released in the late 90s let alone the 00s. Btw, I wonder what happened to Marcy's Playground? It seemed like a one-hit wonder for them, would've liked to have heard more of their output.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/24/06 at 12:38 pm

A cynical Eight year old? Is there a sadder thing than that?

I'm fortunate in that I didn't even know what it was like to be cynical as an 8-year old, lol. But yeah, I doubt a song like that would have been released in the late 90s let alone the 00s. Btw, I wonder what happened to Marcy's Playground? It seemed like a one-hit wonder for them, would've liked to have heard more of their output.

I own both of their CDs, the first one was really good but I think the quality declined on the second.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/25/06 at 9:41 am

I think it's more some of the individual fads that are, as opposed to the time itself. Pokemon, "Livin' La Vida Loca", early Britney/teen pop, etc. is pretty cheesy. ;D That makes it odd that despite being "so 1999", it remained somewhat popular until 2003, and even today in a very loose sense.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/25/06 at 9:45 am

I think it's more some of the individual fads that are, as opposed to the time itself. Pokemon, "Livin' La Vida Loca", early Britney/teen pop, etc. is pretty cheesy. ;D That makes it odd that despite being "so 1999", it remained somewhat popular until 2003, and even today in a very loose sense.

No, I think Teen pop really captured the laisse faire essence of the late 90s...the care-free, laid-backness...There was a sense of fun about it that was never really re-captured. And if fun meant cheese, then all the better for it!

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/25/06 at 9:48 am

No, I think Teen pop really captured the laisse faire essence of the late 90s...the care-free, laid-backness...There was a sense of fun about it that was never really re-captured. And if fun meant cheese, then all the better for it!

Yeah late '90s style teen pop is long gone, today's teen pop is not close to the same.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/25/06 at 9:52 am

Yeah late '90s style teen pop is long gone, today's teen pop is not close to the same.

Do you think the try-hard antics of Lindsay Lohan, and to a lesser extent Ashlee Simpson around 2003, 2004 and 2005 were sort of an 'echoe' of teen pop, or teen pop itself? Sure they marketed their music as being 'edgier' and all that, but it was basically the same concept. What about utterly forgetful TV-crossovers like Jessie McCartney (anyone actually remember him?) from that horrid and deservedly short-lived soapie 'Summerland.' Lol, those were cheesy times.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/25/06 at 9:57 am

Do you think the try-hard antics of Lindsay Lohan, and to a lesser extent Ashlee Simpson around 2003, 2004 and 2005 were sort of an 'echoe' of teen pop, or teen pop itself? Sure they marketed their music as being 'edgier' and all that, but it was basically the same concept. What about utterly forgetful TV-crossovers like Jessie McCartney (anyone actually remember him?) from that horrid and deservedly short-lived soapie 'Summerland.' Lol, those were cheesy times.

Yeah that stuff is all teen pop as well, so is McCartney and Avril Lavigne, etc. Stuff like JoJo, PCD, and now Cassie can also fall into the category, Paula DeAnda is another new young teen pop artist.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/25/06 at 10:00 am

Yeah that stuff is all teen pop as well, so is McCartney and Avril Lavigne, etc. Stuff like JoJo, PCD, and now Cassie can also fall into the category, Paula DeAnda is another new young teen pop artist.

So I guess you're in effect retracting your statement...teen pop is alive and well!

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/25/06 at 10:01 am

So I guess you're in effect retracting your statement...teen pop is alive and well!

I said the teen pop of the '90s is gone, '00s teen pop is different but still teen pop just more hop-hop/emoish.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/25/06 at 10:40 am

I said the teen pop of the '90s is gone, '00s teen pop is different but still teen pop just more hop-hop/emoish.

It's also nowhere near as popular...it has an audience but it's not that successful. Like Lindsay Lohan's album probably only sold out of curiosity.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/25/06 at 10:43 am

It's also nowhere near as popular...it has an audience but it's not that successful. Like Lindsay Lohan's album probably only sold out of curiosity.

Some of it has been popular, like JoJo and PCD, this Cassie girl is also going to have a big hit this summer, usually it has to be hip-hop like to be popular though. Yeah Lohan hasn't done that well, though Rumors was a fairly popular song in late 2004.

Check for new replies or respond here...