inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Reasons the 80s were more memorable than the 90s...

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/22/06 at 10:07 am

As Donnie pointed out, it seems like a lot of people - even my age, have a gap in their memory somewhere in the early 90s. Assuming you agree with the assumption that the 90s are in general a comparatively 'forgettable decade' (though not to me personally), why do you think the 80s were a more memorable decade? If you disagree, give reasons why you think the 90s are equally memorable...

Subject: Re: Five (or less/more) Reasons the 80s were more memorable than the 90s...

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/22/06 at 2:02 pm

I've never been able to understand why the '80s are more memorable than the '90s. For me, the '90s is the only other decade I can remember besides the '00s. But still, the '90s have as much (maybe more) memories as the '80s.

Subject: Re: Five (or less/more) Reasons the 80s were more memorable than the 90s...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/22/06 at 3:57 pm

The '90s are forgettable for several reasons:

1. They're historically boring.  Except for the tech boom, almost nothing happened in the '90s, especially compared to the '80s and '00s.
2. They're not as easy to pigeonhole as the "Synth '80s" or the "Crunk '00s".  They contain bits of the '80s and '00s, along with some things that are distinctly '90s.
3. They're too similar to the '00s to really stand out.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/22/06 at 4:03 pm

1. They're historically boring.  Except for the tech boom, almost nothing happened in the '90s, especially compared to the '80s and '00s.
2. They're not as easy to pigeonhole as the "Synth '80s" or the "Crunk '00s".  They contain bits of the '80s and '00s, along with some things that are distinctly '90s.

I really don't think they're forgettable or that similar to the '00s. Historically boring, yes.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/22/06 at 4:05 pm

I really don't think they're forgettable or that similar to the '00s. Historically boring, yes.

They're not hugely similar to the '00s, but they don't stand out compared to the '00s, just by watching a movie or TV show from then.  I do think they're forgettable (compared to the flashy '80s and '00s).

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/22/06 at 4:07 pm

They're not hugely similar to the '00s, but they don't stand out compared to the '00s, just by watching a movie or TV show from then.  I do think they're forgettable (compared to the flashy '80s and '00s).

What was flashy about the '90s was how un-flashy they were. But there were definitely some cheesy '90s things. Just watch an episode of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air or listen to C&C Dance Factory type music. Really, every decade since the '60s except the '90s has been pretty flashy.

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/22/06 at 4:11 pm

I read something on Wikipedia several months ago saying that a lot of people call the '00s "The New Nineties". Of course, I disagree.

The '00s can be traced back as far as late 1995 when Windows 95 came out. But still, it was mainly the '90s. The Pre-2000's didn't really kick in until about 1998.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/22/06 at 4:11 pm

I read something on Wikipedia several months ago saying that a lot of people call the '00s "The New Nineties". Of course, I disagree.

The '00s can be traced back as far as late 1995 when Windows 95 came out. But still, it was mainly the '90s. The Pre-2000's didn't really kick in until about 1998.

I actually wrote that  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/22/06 at 6:02 pm

I actually wrote that  ;D

I think alot less people see it as the 2nd '90s than they did in even 2003. It's a very different sort of decade...and I think people think decades actually change more from decade to decade without leftovers and similarities than they really do.

Written By: sonikuu on 05/22/06 at 6:39 pm

I think alot less people see it as the 2nd '90s than they did in even 2003. It's a very different sort of decade...and I think people think decades actually change more from decade to decade without leftovers and similarities than they really do.

Yeah, I agree with that.  I remember back in 2002/2003, everyone was calling the 00's a 90's copycat.  Now, I notice that whole sentiment has nearly disappeared.  I think that whole "90's copycat" feeling died out around 2004.  The 00's have become their own distinct decade.  Anyone who still thinks that the 00's are a 90's copycat is living under a rock or something.

As for why people tend to remember the 80's more, it's because it sticks out more.  The 80's were a flashy, cheesy, and just plain fun decade.  By way of comparison, the 90's were more down to earth and plain.  I'll use school as a analogy.  The 80's are the outspoken class clown.  The 90's are the quiet, more reserved person.  Now, while the more reserved person may have a better personality than the class clown, the class clown is still remembered more because of their antics.  It's just like the 80's and 90's.

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/22/06 at 7:32 pm

Yeah, I agree with that.  I remember back in 2002/2003, everyone was calling the 00's a 90's copycat.  Now, I notice that whole sentiment has nearly disappeared.  I think that whole "90's copycat" feeling died out around 2004.  The 00's have become their own distinct decade.  Anyone who still thinks that the 00's are a 90's copycat is living under a rock or something.

As for why people tend to remember the 80's more, it's because it sticks out more.  The 80's were a flashy, cheesy, and just plain fun decade.  By way of comparison, the 90's were more down to earth and plain.  I'll use school as a analogy.  The 80's are the outspoken class clown.  The 90's are the quiet, more reserved person.  Now, while the more reserved person may have a better personality than the class clown, the class clown is still remembered more because of their antics.  It's just like the 80's and 90's.

You are exactly right about your school theory. I now love the '90s even more now because like the '90s, I'm a quiet and more reserved person. ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/22/06 at 8:14 pm

The '90s are more memorable for me, because I don't really remember anything from the '80s.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 05/22/06 at 10:28 pm

The 90's were a laid back, nonflashy decade, but not quite forgetable. Looking back, I don't think most people knew how good they had it. Awesome movies,  mostly solid music, the super economy of the late 90's, no major war threats, etc.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/23/06 at 9:09 am

The 00s are as yet too similar to the 90s to really stand out.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/23/06 at 9:13 am

Yeah, I agree with that.  I remember back in 2002/2003, everyone was calling the 00's a 90's copycat.  Now, I notice that whole sentiment has nearly disappeared.  I think that whole "90's copycat" feeling died out around 2004.  The 00's have become their own distinct decade.  Anyone who still thinks that the 00's are a 90's copycat is living under a rock or something.

As for why people tend to remember the 80's more, it's because it sticks out more.  The 80's were a flashy, cheesy, and just plain fun decade.  By way of comparison, the 90's were more down to earth and plain.  I'll use school as a analogy.  The 80's are the outspoken class clown.  The 90's are the quiet, more reserved person.  Now, while the more reserved person may have a better personality than the class clown, the class clown is still remembered more because of their antics.  It's just like the 80's and 90's.

But no one has yet identified with 'living in the 00s' as a decade. Well, perhaps with 'living in the 21st century', but that's a more chronological thing. There hasn't been one defining piece of culture (I forget the term, anyone?) for the 00s as there was with previous decades. The 50s had 'On the Road' by Jack Kerouac, while the 00s had Harry Potter and the DaVinci Code. In the 1970s (1975) the Skyhooks released a song called 'Living in the 80s,' people were equally conscious of their decade in the 80s, and in the next decade Blur sung of 'living in the 90s.' So I think the 00s will be even more forgettable than the 90s, and begin a trend where the succeeding decade becomes more and more unremarkeable.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/23/06 at 12:06 pm

But no one has yet identified with 'living in the 00s' as a decade. Well, perhaps with 'living in the 21st century', but that's a more chronological thing. There hasn't been one defining piece of culture (I forget the term, anyone?) for the 00s as there was with previous decades. The 50s had 'On the Road' by Jack Kerouac, while the 00s had Harry Potter and the DaVinci Code. In the 1970s (1975) the Skyhooks released a song called 'Living in the 80s,' people were equally conscious of their decade in the 80s, and in the next decade Blur sung of 'living in the 90s.' So I think the 00s will be even more forgettable than the 90s, and begin a trend where the succeeding decade becomes more and more unremarkeable.

Maybe it's just that this decade has taken the materialism and self-centeredness of the '80s to an extreme where people don't even comment on it? I doubt that it'll continue this way.

Subject: Re: Reasons the 80s were more memorable than the 90s...

Written By: Ebontyne on 05/24/06 at 9:18 pm

A little while ago I was looking through my mom's old vinyl records, and I found one by a band (whose name I've already forgotten) that was released in 1979. On the back it said something like "Are you ready for the sound of the 1980s? Let take you there!" Those might not have been the exact words, but that is basically what it said.

I think one of the biggest problems with the '00s is that the decade doesn't even have a proper name yet. I suppose we'll have to wait for the 2020s before we can say for sure that everyone will know exactly what to call the decade, and you'll probably see a lot more "decade consciousness" as a result, especially amongst young people.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/25/06 at 2:51 am

A little while ago I was looking through my mom's old vinyl records, and I found one by a band (whose name I've already forgotten) that was released in 1979. On the back it said something like "Are you ready for the sound of the 1980s? Let take you there!" Those might not have been the exact words, but that is basically what it said.

I think one of the biggest problems with the '00s is that the decade doesn't even have a proper name yet. I suppose we'll have to wait for the 2020s before we can say for sure that everyone will know exactly what to call the decade, and you'll probably see a lot more "decade consciousness" as a result, especially amongst young people.

But as a decade it just seems to pass you by...like it's just some time before the 'real' 21st century begins. A bit like the 1940s were a bridge between the 1930s and 1950s. Just a very bland, unremarkeable sort of decade.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/25/06 at 5:44 am

But as a decade it just seems to pass you by...like it's just some time before the 'real' 21st century begins. A bit like the 1940s were a bridge between the 1930s and 1950s. Just a very bland, unremarkeable sort of decade.

Oh, the '40s had their culture. The "new look", swing music, zoot suit riots, Frank Sinatra, the big bands, film noir movies, Humphrey Bogart, etc.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/25/06 at 6:41 am

Oh, the '40s had their culture. The "new look", swing music, zoot suit riots, Frank Sinatra, the big bands, film noir movies, Humphrey Bogart, etc.

The 1930s are probably a better example. It actually seemed like technology, society.etc was frozen in time in 1929 and stopped entirely - or even went back - throughout the 30s. That's why the 20s, 30s and 40s are all similar in the fashion, jazz/swing music, old time crooners.etc.

Check for new replies or respond here...