inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dance Music Family Tree (In Words)

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/28/06 at 5:46 pm

Soul to funk to disco. Disco combines with Krautrock to form Eurodisco. On the other end, it combines with pop to form dance-pop (Madonna, etc.) and new wave and Eurodisco to form club-wave. Hip-hop comes directly from disco, as well. '90s C+C Dance Factory stuff comes from disco and hip-hop combined. Techno, club, electronica, etc. derives from a combination of Eurodisco and club-wave. Glam rap comes from a combination of crunk hip-hop and dance-pop.

Subject: Re: Dance Music Family Tree (In Words)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/28/06 at 8:48 pm

Most dance music in some way originated from the beat-heavy 'tribal' rythm's of 'colored' music...Though in the 1950s 'Rock'n'Roll' was dance music.

Hip-hop's main influences were actually quite varied; from Funk, Roots, Disco, and of course Rap, which originated from the 'Jams' or 'Talking songs' that pre-dated rap.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/28/06 at 11:53 pm

Most dance music in some way originated from the beat-heavy 'tribal' rythm's of 'colored' music...Though in the 1950s 'Rock'n'Roll' was dance music.

Hip-hop's main influences were actually quite varied; from Funk, Roots, Disco, and of course Rap, which originated from the 'Jams' or 'Talking songs' that pre-dated rap.

Some of James Brown and P-Funk's stuff, and some of Marvin Gaye's latest stuff, sounds a little bit rap. But the first hip-hop grew out of Chic's "Good Times", actually. What do you think of my idea that glam rap/R&B is a combo of dance-pop and crunk hip-hop, and Eurodisco is a combo of Krautrock and disco, later leading to club-wave and electronica/techno?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/29/06 at 12:50 am

Some of James Brown and P-Funk's stuff, and some of Marvin Gaye's latest stuff, sounds a little bit rap. But the first hip-hop grew out of Chic's "Good Times", actually. What do you think of my idea that glam rap/R&B is a combo of dance-pop and crunk hip-hop, and Eurodisco is a combo of Krautrock and disco, later leading to club-wave and electronica/techno?

Yeah, it's probably correct. I'm not a big dance music afficianado (though I like some of it), so I'm probably not the right person to ask!  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...