inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Influential Cities of the '90s

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/30/06 at 4:29 pm

Seattle, WA
Compton, CA
Albuquerque, NM
Tokyo, Japan
New York, NY
Oakland, CA
Las Vegas, CA
Orlando, FL
Anaheim, CA
Paris, France
Dallas, TX
Nashville, TN
Cleveland, OH
Philadelphia, PA

Subject: Re: Influential Cities of the '90s

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/30/06 at 4:57 pm

Seattle, WA
Compton, CA
Albuquerque, NM
Tokyo, Japan
New York, NY
Oakland, CA
Las Vegas, CA
Orlando, FL
Anaheim, CA
Paris, France
Dallas, TX
Nashville, TN
Cleveland, OH
Philadelphia, PA

I think NYC was unusually non-influential in the '90s, with the exception of Brooklyn. Los Angeles and the surrounding area, particularly South Central and Beverly Hills, were, though. Seattle and the Bay Area were extremely, extremely influential.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/30/06 at 5:16 pm

I think NYC was unusually non-influential in the '90s, with the exception of Brooklyn. Los Angeles and the surrounding area, particularly South Central and Beverly Hills, were, though. Seattle and the Bay Area were extremely, extremely influential.

Brooklyn is very '90s. The Bay Area is very late '80s/early '90s. c. 1989/1990, the Bay Area was the center of the world.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/30/06 at 11:17 pm

California was definitely the epicentre of pop-culture throughout the 90s. The 'Gangsta-rap' 'San Andreas', suburban scene was bit all throughout the 90s. Seattle of course was significant with the Grunge thing, being the home of Microsoft, Boeing.etc..New York's always at the centre of everything - but I think the shift from the mid 80s was from the East Coast to the West Coast.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/31/06 at 12:11 am

California was definitely the epicentre of pop-culture throughout the 90s. The 'Gangsta-rap' 'San Andreas', suburban scene was bit all throughout the 90s. Seattle of course was significant with the Grunge thing, being the home of Microsoft, Boeing.etc..New York's always at the centre of everything - but I think the shift from the mid 80s was from the East Coast to the West Coast.

The westward expansion of the United States is still going on.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/31/06 at 12:28 am

You can include the Bronx, Staten Island, and Queens.

Atlanta and New Orleans were also very influential.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/31/06 at 12:29 am

Cleveland actually was cool in the '90s, there was like a big revival here with the new stadiums and stuff, now it's back to sucking again.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/31/06 at 12:30 am

Cleveland actually was cool in the '90s, there was like a big revival here with the new stadiums and stuff, now it's back to sucking again.

Does its suckage have to do with the Rust Belt?

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/31/06 at 12:33 am

Does its suckage have to do with the Rust Belt?

Yes that's a big part of it, manufacturing has really went downhill this decade, a lot of places that had factories here have closed in this decade, the Indians are back to mediocrity as well on the sports side of things so no more sell outs at the Jake.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/31/06 at 2:27 am

Yes that's a big part of it, manufacturing has really went downhill this decade, a lot of places that had factories here have closed in this decade, the Indians are back to mediocrity as well on the sports side of things so no more sell outs at the Jake.

Cleveland seemed a bit more vibrant in the 90s...the Drew Carey show was set in Cleveland, lol

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/31/06 at 2:27 am

Cleveland seemed a bit more vibrant in the 90s...the Drew Carey show was set in Cleveland, lol

Were thick framed glasses, ala Drew Carey still common in the '90s?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/31/06 at 2:28 am

Were thick framed glasses, ala Drew Carey still common in the '90s?

With the Black frames? They were just as popular in the 90s as now...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/31/06 at 2:31 am

With the Black frames? They were just as popular in the 90s as now...

Australia's 2006 is probably more like America's 2004, would you say?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/31/06 at 2:32 am

Australia's 2006 is probably more like America's 2004, would you say?

I mean, we have pretty much the same TV (okay, our TV is pbly a year behind!), alot of the same music...Slang and fashion etc is probably a bit behind though. I'm pretty sure America lacks behind us in SOME areas tho...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/31/06 at 2:33 am

I mean, we have pretty much the same TV (okay, our TV is pbly a year behind!), alot of the same music...Slang and fashion etc is probably a bit behind though. I'm pretty sure America lacks behind us in SOME areas tho...

Such as our measuring system, upholding of the death penalty, refusal of the Kyoto Treaty ... but that's a different thread ;)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/31/06 at 2:35 am

Such as our measuring system, upholding of the death penalty, refusal of the Kyoto Treaty ... but that's a different thread ;)

If you haven't realised, Johnny Howard hasn't exactly signed the Kyoto Treaty thing either...

And we pride ourselves as being one of the top World Heritage countries in the world

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/31/06 at 2:37 am

If you haven't realised, Johnny Howard hasn't exactly signed the Kyoto Treaty thing either...

And we pride ourselves as being one of the top World Heritage countries in the world

I'm not crazy about the Treaty either, but we have to do something. But that's a different thread.

Check for new replies or respond here...