inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Y2K-era Hit

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/30/06 at 6:18 pm

Mine is "No Scrubs" by TLC, hands down.

Subject: Re: Favorite Y2K-era Hit

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/30/06 at 6:23 pm

"All Star" by Smash Mouth.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/30/06 at 9:23 pm

Tough call, I love No Scrubs but Genie In A Bottle is also one of my favorites.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/30/06 at 11:17 pm

"All Star" by Smash Mouth.

Still love that song!

Maybe Mambo No 5, or Len's 'Steal My Sunshine'

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/30/06 at 11:18 pm

Still love that song!

Maybe Mambo No 5, or Len's 'Steal My Sunshine'

Those are cool too. I like a lot of songs from around 99 and 00.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/31/06 at 6:43 am

I also like Garbage's "Paranoid" alot.

Written By: SpaceHog on 05/31/06 at 9:57 am

No Pigeons- Sporty Thievz

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/01/06 at 11:34 pm

-Xxplosive by Dr. Dre
-Mambo #5
-The Blue Song by Eiffel 65
-The Thong Song by Sisqo

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/03/06 at 11:30 pm

I liked a lot of songs that year. There was some fun stuff...

Mambo #5 - (can't remember his name, a one hit wonder)
Genie in a Bottle - Christina Aguilara
Hit Me Baby One More Time - Britney Spears
Livin' La Vida Loca - Ricky Martin
Give It To You = Jordan Knight
New - Gwen Stefani (was on the soundtrack to the Katie Holmes 1999 movie "Go")

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/03/06 at 11:36 pm

I liked a lot of songs that year. There was some fun stuff...

Mambo #5 - (can't remember his name, a one hit wonder)
Genie in a Bottle - Christina Aguilara
Hit Me Baby One More Time - Britney Spears
Livin' La Vida Loca - Ricky Martin
Give It To You = Jordan Knight
New - Gwen Stefani (was on the soundtrack to the Katie Holmes 1999 movie "Go")

Thanks for agreeing with me that "Hit Me Baby One More Time" is actually a really great song. Of course it's teenybopper pop, but I think it's one of the best songs to come out of that whole movement and out of commercial late '90s music in general. It's very strange that people born 1993+ probably can't remember what a big deal that song and Britney's whole image was in early 1999.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/03/06 at 11:41 pm

Thanks for agreeing with me that "Hit Me Baby One More Time" is actually a really great song. Of course it's teenybopper pop, but I think it's one of the best songs to come out of that whole movement and out of commercial late '90s music in general. It's very strange that people born 1993+ probably can't remember what a big deal that song and Britney's whole image was in early 1999.

Yeah, it was just such a phenom and such a break out song, that you couldn't help but like it. Anyone who can't get a smirck on their face from listening to that is only kidding themselves. It just gets you moving, no matter how corny it is. That's what pop's all about  :)

And yes, it's really strange to think that a lot of kids born past 1993 probably never really knew that song or don't have a clear recollection of when it came out. I was just thinking my niece who was born in 1998 was only 1 year old when all that stuff came out. Weird! Yet, when I was around 3 or 4, I was already developing some taste in music. I already was singing along to Whitney Houston by 1986  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/03/06 at 11:51 pm

Yeah, it was just such a phenom and such a break out song, that you couldn't help but like it. Anyone who can't get a smirck on their face from listening to that is only kidding themselves. It just gets you moving, no matter how corny it is. That's what pop's all about  :)

And yes, it's really strange to think that a lot of kids born past 1993 probably never really knew that song or don't have a clear recollection of when it came out. I was just thinking my niece who was born in 1998 was only 1 year old when all that stuff came out. Weird! Yet, when I was around 3 or 4, I was already developing some taste in music. I already was singing along to Whitney Houston by 1986  ;D

Yeah. It's very weird how dated that song and the video seem now by 2006...it has that bright, sunny late '90s feel to it heavily. I think by now most people have settled into Britney's just being a celebrity for being a celebrity, and never having achieved the actual success with any follow-ups of her predecessors.

A few years definitely makes a difference going younger with alot of things. Like I was sort of at the epicenter of the teenybopper importance of that song when I was in 3rd grade and born in 1990, but somebody kindergarten born in 1993 probably wouldn't have known about it. I remember the lifestyle/way things looked/type of music on the radio/way people dressed from 1994 or 1995, but not the specific stuff much. Though I remember watching Seinfeld once at three, and its heavily, heavily scaring me.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/04/06 at 12:06 am

Yeah. It's very weird how dated that song and the video seem now by 2006...it has that bright, sunny late '90s feel to it heavily. I think by now most people have settled into Britney's just being a celebrity for being a celebrity, and never having achieved the actual success with any follow-ups of her predecessors.

A few years definitely makes a difference going younger with alot of things. Like I was sort of at the epicenter of the teenybopper importance of that song when I was in 3rd grade and born in 1990, but somebody kindergarten born in 1993 probably wouldn't have known about it. I remember the lifestyle/way things looked/type of music on the radio/way people dressed from 1994 or 1995, but not the specific stuff much. Though I remember watching Seinfeld once at three, and its heavily, heavily scaring me.

Yes, "... Baby one more time" was one of those last major teenybopper songs from the '90s that really sounded '90s. We have teenybopper stuff today, but unfortunately, it's really turned into a more slutty kind. I mean, Britney was a bit on that side, but I think she kinda brought that wave in. I'd hate for my young daughter to be listening to the Pussycat Dolls without feeling a little awkward about it these days, lol  ;D

It's really weird how you can recollect certain memories and how vivid some of them are and then how certain ones just slip away. I wonder why certain ones linger more than others? I guess I may not know how kids born past '93 feel about the '90s until maybe they're more your age and beging to reflect more. It's funny how you can reflect as early as 15 or 16, but I guess you do because you realise your childhood has suddenly shifted into teenagehood and then very soon, adulthood. It's a scary time indeed. I'm very glad it's over.. now, if I can just make it to thirty  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/04/06 at 12:11 am

Yes, "... Baby one more time" was one of those last major teenybopper songs from the '90s that really sounded '90s. We have teenybopper stuff today, but unfortunately, it's really turned into a more slutty kind. I mean, Britney was a bit on that side, but I think she kinda brought that wave in. I'd hate for my young daughter to be listening to the Pussycat Dolls without feeling a little awkward about it these days, lol  ;D

It's really weird how you can recollect certain memories and how vivid some of them are and then how certain ones just slip away. I wonder why certain ones linger more than others? I guess I may not know how kids born past '93 feel about the '90s until maybe they're more your age and beging to reflect more. It's funny how you can reflect as early as 15 or 16, but I guess you do because you realise your childhood has suddenly shifted into teenagehood and then very soon, adulthood. It's a scary time indeed. I'm very glad it's over.. now, if I can just make it to thirty  ;D

I think those born in 1994 and onwards are the Spongebob-loving "'00s kids" that would see the '90s as old. Those born in 1990-1993 like myself would know the late '90s pretty well.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/04/06 at 12:13 am

Yeah, it definitely had that '90s production to it, that can be found in a less teenybopperish sense in stuff like Mariah Carey and TLC. Britney definitely bought that slutty wave of teen pop in. The Spice Girls, who I remember being huge around 1997, did not have as slutty an image. Also, I don't think teenybopper stuff is nearly as popular, or it's stayed more within that teenybopper age range, and there's a much smaller demographic number of teenyboppers than there were in the late '90s, with the echo boomers like myself and you peaking.

"Baby One More Time" had a '90s sound to it, definitely, but it's an influential song upon the oughties, and it's one of the last big teen pop hits (well, "Genie in a Bottle" too) that had that totally overtly '90s sound to it.

I think that the people born in 1993 would be about totally clueless as to 1997 and 1998, though, and the more late '90s Macarena era of the later mid-'90s around late 1996, which we're pretty knowledgeable about.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/04/06 at 12:16 am

I think those born in 1994 and onwards are the Spongebob-loving "'00s kids" that would see the '90s as old. Those born in 1990-1993 like myself would know the late '90s pretty well.

That's pretty much the case, it seems.  :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/04/06 at 12:17 am

I don't even really consider myself a '90s baby, more a late '80s baby, since my class is composed of people born from the middle of 1989 to the middle of 1990, largely, and I'm part of that late '80s peak Y classification.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/04/06 at 12:18 am

I'd say so. For instance my best friend born in 1993 seems to remember 1998-1999 pretty well.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/04/06 at 12:19 am

I don't even really consider myself a '90s baby, more a late '80s baby, since my class is composed of people born from the middle of 1989 to the middle of 1990, largely, and I'm part of that late '80s peak Y classification.

You are a literal '90s baby (although you were conceived in 1989), but your infancy was spent in the part of the '90s that was "extended" '80s. I would say were were born "with" the '90s, rather than "in" them.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/04/06 at 12:22 am

Yeah, it definitely had that '90s production to it, that can be found in a less teenybopperish sense in stuff like Mariah Carey and TLC. Britney definitely bought that slutty wave of teen pop in. The Spice Girls, who I remember being huge around 1997, did not have as slutty an image. Also, I don't think teenybopper stuff is nearly as popular, or it's stayed more within that teenybopper age range, and there's a much smaller demographic number of teenyboppers than there were in the late '90s, with the echo boomers like myself and you peaking.

"Baby One More Time" had a '90s sound to it, definitely, but it's an influential song upon the oughties, and it's one of the last big teen pop hits (well, "Genie in a Bottle" too) that had that totally overtly '90s sound to it.

I think that the people born in 1993 would be about totally clueless as to 1997 and 1998, though, and the more late '90s Macarena era of the later mid-'90s around late 1996, which we're pretty knowledgeable about.

The Spice Girls were big in 1996, but carried onto into 1997 and even 1998. My friend in England at the time had written me and had told me of them, and I was like, "Who?"  ;D  Then, a few months later, they were HUGE in America and then they were making a movie and all that jazz.  

Yeah, we're back into the more serious music now. There really isn't a lot of teenybopper stuff like there use to be. Even just a few years ago with Hilary Duff and Ashlee Simpson, but now that has somewhat faded away. Yet, that's okay. I'm ready for a change of pace.  :)

It's so hard to say how kids will take that stuff in from back then. I mean, I have a cousin who was born in 1983 and I feel she and I have a pretty close understanding of the era we lived in. Yet, someone born in 1984 or 1985 may have a different view than us.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/04/06 at 12:23 am

The Spice Girls were big in 1996, but carried onto into 1997 and even 1998. My friend in England at the time had written me and had told me of them, and I was like, "Who?"  ;D  Then, a few months later, they were HUGE in America and then they were making a movie and all that jazz.  

Yeah, we're back into the more serious music now. There really isn't a lot of teenybopper stuff like there use to be. Even just a few years ago with Hilary Duff and Ashlee Simpson, but now that has somewhat faded away. Yet, that's okay. I'm ready for a change of pace.  :)

It's so hard to say how kids will take that stuff in from back then. I mean, I have a cousin who was born in 1983 and I feel she and I have a pretty close understanding of the era we lived in. Yet, someone born in 1984 or 1985 may have a different view than us.

The same thing happened around 1992-1996, when Debbie Gibson, Taylor Dayne, Tommy Page, etc. went away and adult contemp and R&B took over.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/04/06 at 12:25 am

You are a literal '90s baby (although you were conceived in 1989), but your infancy was spent in the part of the '90s that was "extended" '80s. I would say were were born "with" the '90s, rather than "in" them.

Yeah. I do consider the class of '08 the last class of '80s babies though. I also have another thought on Gen Y...in alot of ways, an easy way to classify Gen Y without Gen Z predilections is people born under Reagan and Bush Sr., like 1981-1992, or the group of Y that is more like X than Z.

Hah, I think Taylor Dayne had a #1 hit on the day of my birth. Or was it Alannah Myles?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/04/06 at 12:26 am

The same thing happened around 1992-1996, when Debbie Gibson, Taylor Dayne, Tommy Page, etc. went away and adult contemp and R&B took over.

Yeah, R&B and, of course, Rap. Rap really took over around 1993. I can remember Debbie Gibson pretty much being out of favor as early as 1991. She had about 3 years of good sucess and, unfortunately, her style just didn't gel for most at the time as music began to change rapidly.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/04/06 at 12:27 am

Yeah. I do consider the class of '08 the last class of '80s babies though. I also have another thought on Gen Y...in alot of ways, an easy way to classify Gen Y without Gen Z predilections is people born under Reagan and Bush Sr., like 1981-1992, or the group of Y that is more like X than Z.

Hah, I think Taylor Dayne had a #1 hit on the day of my birth. Or was it Alannah Myles?

Yeah I think babies born during the Clinton era, rather than during the "Political Eighties" of 1981-1992 are partly Z. Whereas those born as late as 1992 have a tiny, tiny bit of Gen X in them. In some ways all Gen Y is is a transition between Gen X and Gen Z.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/04/06 at 12:29 am

Maybe we could classify it as governers, rather than presidents. The governer of California at the time for me was Jerry Brown (now mayor of Oakland).   ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/04/06 at 12:30 am

Yeah, R&B and, of course, Rap. Rap really took over around 1993. I can remember Debbie Gibson pretty much being out of favor as early as 1991. She had about 3 years of good sucess and, unfortunately, her style just didn't gel for most at the time as music began to change rapidly.

When did Paula Abdul, Jody Watley, and their ilk of pop star die out? Like 1992? That style of dance-pop definitely disappeared around then, replaced by much more up-to-date sounding stuff like house music.

We people born from like 1981-1995 definitely have our own qualities, though, like our materialism and ever-so-extreme emptiness and self-centeredness. We're sort of a product of the yuppieish time we were born in, in some ways, weirdly enough.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/04/06 at 12:31 am

Yeah I think babies born during the Clinton era, rather than during the "Political Eighties" of 1981-1992 are partly Z. Whereas those born as late as 1992 have a tiny, tiny bit of Gen X in them. In some ways all Gen Y is is a transition between Gen X and Gen Z.

Waitta minute, so what am I then? This generation stuff is so blasted confusing  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/04/06 at 12:31 am

Waitta minute, so what am I then? This generation stuff is so blasted confusing  ;D

Early Generation Y.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/04/06 at 12:35 am

When did Paula Abdul, Jody Watley, and their ilk of pop star die out? Like 1992? That style of dance-pop definitely disappeared around then, replaced by much more up-to-date sounding stuff like house music.

We people born from like 1981-1995 definitely have our own qualities, though, like our materialism and ever-so-extreme emptiness and self-centeredness. We're sort of a product of the yuppieish time we were born in, in some ways, weirdly enough.

Paula Abdul had a hit record album in 1991 called "Spellbound"  and although she had an album in 1995, it had a horrible turn out.

Jody Watley was maybe popular through around 1991. I never listened to a lot of her stuff, so I can't totally access when her music waned. I would say 1993 is more of a transitional year for what we were listening to for the rest of the '90s. It's sort of how like past 1983, a lot of that stuff was totally defined by that '80s sound. All decades have that transitional phase at the beginning.

Yeah, we were exposed to a lot of new technology, while still use to the stuff from the '70s and early '80s, as well.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/04/06 at 12:38 am

Paula Abdul had a hit record album in 1991 called "Spellbound"  and although she had an album in 1995, it had a horrible turn out.

Jody Watley was maybe popular through around 1991. I never listened to a lot of her stuff, so I can't totally access when her music waned. I would say 1993 is more of a transitional year for what we were listening to for the rest of the '90s. It's sort of how like past 1983, a lot of that stuff was totally defined by that '80s sound. All decades have that transitional phase at the beginning.

Yeah, we were exposed to a lot of new technology, while still use to the stuff from the '70s and early '80s, as well.

I actually have one of Jody Watley's cassettes from 1987, with "I'm Looking for a New Love." I think 1993 is finally when all that 1989ish stuff died. I would say the '90s began musically pretty early, in 1991, in terms of rock music, but in terms of urban music like rap and R&B it took until Clinton came into office to totally shake off all of the '80s.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/04/06 at 12:41 am

I actually have one of Jody Watley's cassettes from 1987, with "I'm Looking for a New Love." I think 1993 is finally when all that 1989ish stuff died. I would say the '90s began musically pretty early, in 1991, in terms of rock music, but in terms of urban music like rap and R&B it took until Clinton came into office to totally shake off all of the '80s.

Yeah I agree with you. Alot of the saccharine ballads, power ballads and R'n'B/urban music of the early 90s sounded very 80s, whereas rock seemed to adapt rather quickly to the grittiness of the 90s. Even 'Ace of Base' sounds vaguely 80s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/04/06 at 12:56 am

Yeah I agree with you. Alot of the saccharine ballads, power ballads and R'n'B/urban music of the early 90s sounded very 80s, whereas rock seemed to adapt rather quickly to the grittiness of the 90s. Even 'Ace of Base' sounds vaguely 80s.

I think '90s rock began in late 1991. In early 1991 you had R.E.M., which is really more a 1989ish sort of bad, and stuff like Winger, Slaughter, and Vixen, which is tail-end hair metal.

Overall I think the '90s music era spanned from 1992-2000.

Check for new replies or respond here...