inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Nickelodeon the network of the '90s?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/31/06 at 1:50 am

In the '80s Nick was cheesy, and in the '00s it's the Spongebob Channel. When I think '90s, especially 1996 and 1997 I think Nick.

Subject: Re: Is Nickelodeon the network of the '90s?

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/31/06 at 1:50 am

Yes. Nick was a big part of just about every '90s kid's life.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/31/06 at 2:06 am

Yes. Nick was a big part of just about every '90s kid's life.

Indeed it was part of mine through the years 98, 99, 00 and very early 01, when we had cable. Nick, Cartoon Network, Fox 8, Showtime...I loved those times.  :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/31/06 at 2:08 am

Indeed it was part of mine through the years 98, 99, 00 and very early 01, when we had cable. Nick, Cartoon Network, Fox 8, Showtime...I loved those times.  :)

I thought 1998 was when Nick started going downhill. I think when that Cousin Skeeter show came on, I started to lament its downfall. From 2000 (maybe late 1999) to 2004 I watched Disney Channel; that too went beyond my time.  :\'(

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/31/06 at 2:09 am

I thought 1998 was when Nick started going downhill. I think when that Cousin Skeeter show came on, I started to lament its downfall. From 2000 (maybe late 1999) to 2004 I watched Disney Channel; that too went beyond my time.  :\'(

Yeah I stopped watching it around the time the spongebob era started.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/31/06 at 2:11 am

Yeah I stopped watching it around the time the spongebob era started.

Spongebob hadn't really started when I watched it. I watched shows like Clarissa, Rugrats, Real Monsters, Keenan and Kell, Legends of the Lost Temple, some local Nic stuff, Rocko's Modern life, Hey Arnold.etc

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/31/06 at 2:11 am

Spongebob hadn't really started when I watched it. I watched shows like Clarissa, Rugrats, Real Monsters, Keenan and Kell, Legends of the Lost Temple, some local Nic stuff, Rocko's Modern life, Hey Arnold.etc

You Aussies are always in the dark ;)

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/31/06 at 2:12 am

A lot of that stuff was long gone here by 2001.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/31/06 at 2:14 am

A lot of that stuff was long gone by 2001.

Disney Channel was actually pretty good in the early '00s. It sort of replaced Nickelodeon to me around 2000, until it went into the That's So Raven/High School Musical era that I can't relate to at all.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/31/06 at 2:15 am

A lot of that stuff was long gone here by 2001.

I know...I actually did see a bit of Nic at a hotel which had cable, it's changed so much...

And how are we Aussies in the dark with regards to Nickelodeon, Donnie?

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/31/06 at 2:16 am

Disney Channel was actually pretty good in the early '00s. It sort of replaced Nickelodeon to me around 2000, until it went into the That's So Raven/High School Musical era that I can't relate to at all.

Yeah I watched both Disney and Nick until about 1999, after that I just didn't care about it much anymore. I don't relate to any of that new stuff either.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/31/06 at 2:18 am

Yeah I watched both Disney and Nick until about 1999, after that I just didn't care about it much anymore. I don't relate to any of that new stuff either.

I liked Disney when they had Even Stevens, Lizzie McGuire, So Weird, The Famous Jett Jackson, and the like. The original movies then were better too: Johnny Tsunami, The Paper Brigade, even Zenon. Kim Possible was the last Disney show I got into, and the last that's still on that I like. By about the end of 2002 I started getting tired of Disney.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/31/06 at 2:19 am

I liked Disney when they had Even Stevens, Lizzie McGuire, So Weird, The Famous Jett Jackson, and the like. The original movies then were better too: Johnny Tsunami, The Paper Brigade, even Zenon. Kim Possible was the last Disney show I got into, and the last that's still on that I like. By about the end of 2002 I started getting tired of Disney.

We didn't have the Disney channel back then...but I've watched some of those shows on free-to-air - seems more aimed at pre-teens.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/31/06 at 2:20 am

We didn't have the Disney channel back then...but I've watched some of those shows on free-to-air - seems more aimed at pre-teens.

I was a preteen in the early '00s, which makes sense. That's probably why the shows that began in 2003 and later didn't appeal to me as much.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/31/06 at 2:20 am

I used to like that Paper Brigade movie, I think you mentioned that movie in one of your older threads actually.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/31/06 at 6:42 am

I started losing interest in Nick in the middle of 1999...I was mostly obsessed with FOX reruns like That '70s Show, The Simpsons, Seinfeld, etc. starting then. People born before late 1991 or so are too old by far to relate to "Spongebob Squarepants", anyway. They also took away all the old game shows that I loved.

I think the FOX Network was actually the network of the '90s. The Simpsons, Married...with Children, Beverly Hills 90210, Melrose Place, In Living Color, The X-Files. NBC was huge in the '90s, too, with Seinfeld, Friends, Law and Order, Frasier, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Saved by the Bell. Nick, NBC, and FOX are THE '90s networks.

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/31/06 at 1:32 pm

My house has had cable since 1986, but I don't remember watching Nickelodeon until about 1993. Yes, my favorite Nick years are 1991-1995.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/01/06 at 2:12 pm

My house has had cable since 1986, but I don't remember watching Nickelodeon until about 1993. Yes, my favorite Nick years are 1991-1995.

I watched Nick for the first time in 1991. I'd say my "Nick Years" would be about 1991-1997/1998 roughly. I started to lose intrest in about late 1999/early 2000 partially because of the declining quality and partialy because I was 12 and outgrowing it a little.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/01/06 at 2:21 pm

My Nick years were probably about 1993 to 1998.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 2:22 pm

Mine were probably 1996 to 1998, although I might have watched it earlier than that.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/01/06 at 2:26 pm

Mine were probably 1996 to 1998, although I might have watched it earlier than that.

The peak of my Nickelodeon years was like 1995-1997 or so, I'd say. I had basically lost interest by 2000, though I still watched some reruns when they were on. Spongebob Squarepants really killed it for me. I don't think I watched it anymore at all after early 2000.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 2:28 pm

The peak of my Nickelodeon years was like 1995-1997 or so, I'd say. I had basically lost interest by 2000, though I still watched some reruns when they were on. Spongebob Squarepants really killed it for me. I don't think I watched it anymore at all after early 2000.

I think Spongebob is for people born from about 1992-2001; so it's a YZ sort of thing. People born in 1990, or even 1991 wouldn't really relate to it that much, at least in a nostalgic sense (some adults like it).

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/01/06 at 2:39 pm

I think Spongebob is for people born from about 1992-2001; so it's a YZ sort of thing. People born in 1990, or even 1991 wouldn't really relate to it that much, at least in a nostalgic sense (some adults like it).

Yeah. That, and Cat Dog turned off alot of people I know to the network. I agree, it's for late Yers and the first half of Z.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 8:41 pm

I watched Nickelodeon between 1998 to 2001, which may have been Classic Nickelodeon's 'Last Gasp.' I don't really remember watching Spongebob at all (perhaps after 2000), and remember most of the shows were re-runs of old shows from the early and mid 90s.

Written By: lizjagger on 06/01/06 at 10:45 pm

Well, I know that when I think of Nickelodeon when it was good, I think of Nickelodeon in the 90s. But I don't think it was THE network

Written By: 1993 on 06/01/06 at 10:50 pm

my Nick years were probably like 1990-1993. Alot of the snick stuff was great, especially for a young teen as I was at the time. The programming was smarter.

Written By: Derek06 on 06/03/06 at 9:19 am

Check this site out...

www.classicnick.com

:D

Written By: Roadgeek on 06/03/06 at 9:55 am

Check this site out...

www.classicnick.com

:D

Yeah, I've been there before. It's pretty cool.

Speaking of the schedules there, I wonder if you guys can help me confirm something. The 1995 schedule says Nick Arcade was on at 6:00 AM on Sunday mornings in April. Does that apply for Fall of 1994? I hope.

Written By: woops on 06/04/06 at 3:49 am

I liked "Ren & Stimpy", "Rocko's Modern Life" and classic Looney Tunes on Nickelodeon

From Disney Channel, I mostly watched the classic cartoons (Mickey, Donald, Goofy) and some stuff from 'Vault Disney', now "The Suite Life of Zack & Cody Maddie" is OK (mostly for the comedy of 20 year old actress Ashley Tisdale)once in a while but the rest is  mostly garbage.

Written By: Dukefan on 06/04/06 at 4:39 pm

I thought Disney Channel was pretty good in the 90s.  (1990 - 1995)

They had the new Mickey Mouse Club, Kids Incorporated, and a whole mess of catoons.  They also had all the old Disney movies and shows from the 50s and 60s on at night, I guess their answer to Nick at Night. 

As a kid, I didn't think it was as cool as Nickelodeon, but I did watch every now and then. 

IMO, Nickelodeon peaked around 1994.  They still had some of the older shows on at that point, but also had some of the newer ones like All That.  After that the downslide began.

Written By: xtine on 06/04/06 at 7:58 pm

nick was my favourite channel when i was younger.  i often got up at 5:00 just so that i could watch re-runs of "flipper" and "lassie"...so much for being an early riser. ;)

as for disney, i think we got it somewhere around 1996...i remember shows like "fast forward," "the baby-sitters club," and "under the umbrella tree."  i really wish they would re-run some of these shows just so that i could see them again.  (or, maybe i would decide that they were really cheesy and it would taint my childhood memories...so who knows.)

Written By: Roadgeek on 06/04/06 at 8:16 pm

nick was my favourite channel when i was younger.  i often got up at 5:00 just so that i could watch re-runs of "flipper" and "lassie"...so much for being an early riser. ;)

as for disney, i think we got it somewhere around 1996...i remember shows like "fast forward," "the baby-sitters club," and "under the umbrella tree."  i really wish they would re-run some of these shows just so that i could see them again.  (or, maybe i would decide that they were really cheesy and it would taint my childhood memories...so who knows.)

Ah yes, I remember early morning weekend television of the '90s. Like I mentioned before, I'd watch Nick Arcade on Sunday mornings at 6:00 with my mom. Good times. :)

Written By: Greg on 06/20/06 at 12:35 pm

OMG..... :\'( i almost cry when i think of how good the 90s nick was....and compared to now....holy sheesh todays kids are very stupid...

there are many petitions floating around to bring back the grate cartoons/gameshows of 90s nick......

Written By: SmithLee5 on 06/20/06 at 1:02 pm

Nickelodeon and MTV I would say are the Networks of the '90s

Written By: sonikuu on 06/20/06 at 4:54 pm

I think pretty much every 90s kid has fond memories of classic Nick.  Heck, I've seen kids at school get nostalgic about Rocko's Modern Life, Legends of the Hidden Temple, etc.  It seems to be a very unifying factor among 90s kids.  As for Nick's downhill trend, I'd say it started in 1998, but became fully apparent in 1999, when most of their classic shows were off the air or on at terrible times.  I switched to Cartoon Network's Toonami by that point and became a fan of Japanese animation since, unlike American animation, it was actually going somewhere.  

I still like Japanese animation, but I must admit I am ashamed that I used to be a huge Dragonball Z fan.  That show was so stupid when you look back on it.  Fights that last 20 episodes?  I don't know how me and everyone else at school (DBZ was huge here) put up with it.

Written By: whistledog on 05/10/07 at 2:30 pm

>:(

You tell him!

Written By: Silversword55 on 05/11/07 at 11:48 am

Nick was awesome in the 90's.

I miss Rugrats, Rocko's Modern Life, Angry beavers, Ren and stimpy, GUTS. They need to bring them back!

Written By: masterpwn3r on 05/18/07 at 10:21 pm

I loved Doug. That was my fav show for like all of the 90s

Written By: bigrene2 on 05/23/07 at 2:50 pm

That show is so BORING.  >:(

Written By: masterpwn3r on 05/23/07 at 8:19 pm

well you have your opinion but I liked it and Donnie Darko was the biggest troller on this site.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/26/07 at 9:33 am

I totally agree, Doug was one of the greatest shows of the '90s.

Written By: Silversword55 on 06/03/07 at 10:08 am

Yeah they also need to bring it back!

Check for new replies or respond here...