inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What sticks out about the '90s to you most?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/31/06 at 2:47 pm

For me it's the television. All of my memories of the '90s seem to have a TV in the background.

Subject: Re: What sticks out about the '90s to you most?

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/31/06 at 2:49 pm

Toys, television, music I'd listen to, stores, etc. I could go on.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/31/06 at 3:33 pm

The TV.

Written By: chaka on 05/31/06 at 3:45 pm

"grunge music".

Written By: happygirl on 05/31/06 at 4:18 pm

The acceptance of punk rock into mainstream... no more beatings for having a mohawk...rebellion reaches the masses and becomes trendy and hip!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/31/06 at 6:06 pm

Toys, television, music I'd listen to, stores, etc. I could go on.

Yeah same with me. Since I was a kid for the entire decade those are the things I paid the most attention to. Toys in the early part of the decade and music in the late '90s.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/31/06 at 6:10 pm

To me, the Disney movies, the style of independent cinema popular then, the campy dance music, the laid-backness of fashion and the "cool factor" in general, grunge, teen pop, and '90s TV stick out the most.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/31/06 at 9:32 pm

So much...

Of course mainly kids-stuff...popular fads, toys, TV shows like Power Rangers, video games, some music, 90s Cinema, 90s fashion/sensibilities...Simple events like going to the Royal Show (like a fair thing), going on holidays, etc. It was an intoxicating time to grow up...

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/31/06 at 9:47 pm

Neon colors. They were still sort of around up to 1997, in some ways. The hairstyles also stick out alot-the Rachel, the Mariah spiral perm, the various Uma Thurman cuts, that "Gwyneth" cut that looks very 1999, the Ricky Martin cut, the flat-top. You can identify different parts of the '90s by the hair-styles.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/31/06 at 9:48 pm

Neon colors. They were still sort of around up to 1997, in some ways. The hairstyles also stick out alot-the Rachel, the Mariah spiral perm, the various Uma Thurman cuts, that "Gwyneth" cut that looks very 1999, the Ricky Martin cut, the flat-top. You can identify different parts of the '90s by the hair-styles.

Every TV show had some very cheesy, hair-metallish 80s theme tune! lol

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/31/06 at 10:36 pm

Grunge.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 06/01/06 at 4:22 am

Grunge, OJ Simpson, Bill Clinton.

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 06/02/06 at 1:41 pm

flannel and awsome voices in the music industry(mariah,celine,whitney and many others) and a time when the world was simple nothing big nothing scary just the quite befor the storm

Written By: Roadgeek on 06/02/06 at 2:19 pm

flannel and awsome voices in the music industry(mariah,celine,whitney and many others) and a time when the world was simple nothing big nothing scary just the quite befor the storm

You are so right. That's why I've always called the '00s "The Decade the Music Died". ;D

Written By: xtine on 06/02/06 at 9:45 pm

i remember when nicktoons were actually GOOD, and all that great dance music.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/02/06 at 9:48 pm

Dot-com.  Read Douglas Coupland's Microserfs and achieve enlightenment.  And watch The Matrix; I believe the late '90s were the high point of Western Civilization, and I'm glad to have experienced it. 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/02/06 at 9:49 pm

Dot-com.   Read Douglas Coupland's Microserfs and achieve enlightenment.  And watch The Matrix; I believe the late '90s were the high point of Western Civilization, and I'm glad to have experienced it. 

1999 was the peak of the American civilization.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/03/06 at 7:10 am

1999 was the peak of the American civilization.

That would be a convenient timtabulation, since the 20th Century was 'America's' Century.

Check for new replies or respond here...