inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Complete List of #1 Hits from the '90s

Written By: LyleJt on 06/04/06 at 11:31 pm

Just thought this would be great for Future Reference for people curious about #1 Hits from the '90s.

Also, pick out which Year you believe was the Best Overall for #1 Hits.

January 6 Another Day in Paradise Phil Collins
January 13 Another Day in Paradise Phil Collins
January 20 How Am I Supposed to Live Without You Michael Bolton
January 27 How Am I Supposed to Live Without You Michael Bolton
February 3 How Am I Supposed to Live Without You Michael Bolton
February 10 Opposites Attract Paula Abdul with The Wild Pair
February 17 Opposites Attract Paula Abdul with The Wild Pair
February 24 Opposites Attract Paula Abdul with The Wild Pair
March 3 Escapade Janet Jackson
March 10 Escapade Janet Jackson
March 17 Escapade Janet Jackson
March 24 Black Velvet Alannah Myles
March 31 Black Velvet Alannah Myles
April 7 Love Will Lead You Back Taylor Dayne
April 14 I'll Be Your Everything Tommy Page
April 21 Nothing Compares 2 U Sin

Subject: Re: Complete List of #1 Hits from the '90s

Written By: whistledog on 06/04/06 at 11:36 pm

If you got that list from wikipedia, it's not 100% accurate

Written By: LyleJt on 06/04/06 at 11:54 pm

If you got that list from wikipedia, it's not 100% accurate

Actually, it is.  Just because anyone is able to edit a Wikipedia page doesn't mean that every single Wikipedia page is False.  Plus, I had already previously seen a list of the #1 Songs from the Billboard Chart from the '90s Billboard Book and this is 100% accurate.

Written By: Derek06 on 06/06/06 at 7:54 pm

If anyone is interested in 90s Top 20 pop radio play charts (since above chart is the sales chart), they can be found here...

http://www.popradiotop20.com/1990s.htm

Very coolio.  :)

Written By: sonikuu on 06/08/06 at 3:31 am

Well, just looking at the #1 list, as well as the airplay list, just goes to show that there was a lot of crap in the 90s too.  Also shows that some of the defining songs of the 90s weren't played as much as "popular" songs that no one cares about anymore.

Written By: D.J. on 06/08/06 at 3:43 pm

The majority of that list is correct but I found one mistake.  Ace of Base's "The Sign" was not a numer 1 hit in 1994.  It was a #1 hit in April-May 1993 because i was watching the Knicks/Hornets series and that was the #1 song of the week.

Written By: JohnK19 on 06/08/06 at 5:16 pm

The majority of that list is correct but I found one mistake.  Ace of Base's "The Sign" was not a numer 1 hit in 1994.  It was a #1 hit in April-May 1993 because i was watching the Knicks/Hornets series and that was the #1 song of the week.

Sheesh dude, you're Wrong

"The Sign" was a #1 Hit in 1994, not 1993.  Unless you live in some other country and not Nort America

I'm pretty sure Ace of Base released their music earlier in the UK, so that's probably where you heard it

heck, I even remember hearing the song all the time in Early 1994.  so since I heard it then, I must be telling the truth if you think you are  ;D

Written By: D.J. on 06/08/06 at 5:44 pm

Sheesh dude, you're Wrong

"The Sign" was a #1 Hit in 1994, not 1993.  Unless you live in some other country and not Nort America

I'm pretty sure Ace of Base released their music earlier in the UK, so that's probably where you heard it

heck, I even remember hearing the song all the time in Early 1994.  so since I heard it then, I must be telling the truth if you think you are  ;D

I do live in the U.S.  I remember watching one of the playoff games between the Knicks and Hornets from late April-early May 1993 and it said the #1 song that week was "The Sign" by Ace of Base. 

Written By: JohnK19 on 06/08/06 at 9:10 pm

I do live in the U.S.  I remember watching one of the playoff games between the Knicks and Hornets from late April-early May 1993 and it said the #1 song that week was "The Sign" by Ace of Base. 

Well either that was a Dream you had, or you were watching the 1994 Playoffs, because "The Sign" was the #1 Song sometime during the NBA Playoffs in 1994

I mean, I know you're lying.  It's impossible that you heard that because the song didn't even exist in Early/Mid 1993, especially in America.

Ace of Base didn't even make their American Debut until Late 1993 with "All That She Wants" around December 1993

Here, I even have Picture Proof that it was from 1994.  I took some computer screenshots from Billboard.com

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/222/acebasealbum8lk.jpg (Shows that the Album was Released in November 1993)

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4072/acebase16nd.jpg (Shows that the song reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1994)

Your story about the 1993 Playoffs is an obvious lie, unless they somehow got a time machine and went into the future to 1994, came back and lied about what the #1 song was

Written By: D.J. on 06/08/06 at 10:24 pm

Well either that was a Dream you had, or you were watching the 1994 Playoffs, because "The Sign" was the #1 Song sometime during the NBA Playoffs in 1994

I mean, I know you're lying.  It's impossible that you heard that because the song didn't even exist in Early/Mid 1993, especially in America.

Ace of Base didn't even make their American Debut until Late 1993 with "All That She Wants" around December 1993

Here, I even have Picture Proof that it was from 1994.  I took some computer screenshots from Billboard.com

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/222/acebasealbum8lk.jpg (Shows that the Album was Released in November 1993)

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4072/acebase16nd.jpg (Shows that the song reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1994)

Your story about the 1993 Playoffs is an obvious lie, unless they somehow got a time machine and went into the future to 1994, came back and lied about what the #1 song was

I didn't lie, the MSG channel lied.  I was watching a classic game and it came up in a bubble.  I thought it was a little weird myself because I remember the Knicks and Hornets playing in the 2nd round in 1993 and the Hornets missed the playoffs in 1994.

Written By: JohnK19 on 06/09/06 at 1:29 am

I didn't lie, the MSG channel lied.  I was watching a classic game and it came up in a bubble.  I thought it was a little weird myself because I remember the Knicks and Hornets playing in the 2nd round in 1993 and the Hornets missed the playoffs in 1994.

How on earth could you remember something like that at 4 or 5 years old?  Apparently you were born in 1988 according to you.

I know for a stone cold fact that you're lying because the song didn't even exist in Early 1993.  It probably wasn't even recorded until the Summer of 1993

I was born in 1980 and I remember actually listening to the song and watching the Music Video for it constantly on MTV in Early and Mid 1994. I mean, the facts are right there that it was a #1 Hit in 1994, but you keep going on with this silly story  ;D

I doubt you even heard the song when it was originally popular if you were so young at that time.  So who has more credibility here?  Actually, it doesnt even matter because everyone and their mother knows it's a 1994 hit

Written By: JohnK19 on 06/09/06 at 1:48 am

I was watching a classic game and it came up in a bubble.

Ahhhh, see, I miscalculated what you said. I didn't see that you said you watched a "Classic" game.  That changes everything.  Well it's obvious the MSG channel had their facts completely wrong.

I just looked it up and the Hornets/Knicks Playoff series in 1993 went from May 9th, 1993 until May 18th, 1993.  Now I just looked up the #1 hits from May of 1994 and "The Sign" was the #1 on May 7th and May 14th of 1994

So it appears obvious to me that the MSG channel accidentally got the years of 1993 and 1994 mixed up

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 06/10/06 at 3:34 pm

1998 is the best year for music

Check for new replies or respond here...