inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: My 11 year old sister does not know what Y2K was.

Written By: Derek06 on 06/06/06 at 8:07 pm

For all you generation's debaters, we were having a discussion about how 6-6-6 at dinner tonight, and I mentioned how it was somewhat like Y2K, and my sister was like, "What's that? Y - 2 - what?"  I was really shocked that she didn't know what it was and what it was about...but then again, she was 4 when it happened.  A nice divide point for gen y and z COULD be the knowing of Y2K, and how it was a very big thing going into the next century...how computers would send off missles, end of world, etc.  Just thought i'd post about that, lol.

Subject: Re: My 11 year old sister does not know what Y2K was.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/06/06 at 8:15 pm

I agree, it's a great divide point for Generation Y and Z.

I remember they even had cheesy made for tv movies, in which computers went haywire, people panicked, and planes crashed.

In real life.... nothing happend.  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/06/06 at 8:23 pm

For all you generation's debaters, we were having a discussion about how 6-6-6 at dinner tonight, and I mentioned how it was somewhat like Y2K, and my sister was like, "What's that? Y - 2 - what?"  I was really shocked that she didn't know what it was and what it was about...but then again, she was 4 when it happened.  A nice divide point for gen y and z COULD be the knowing of Y2K, and how it was a very big thing going into the next century...how computers would send off missles, end of world, etc.  Just thought i'd post about that, lol.

Yeah, I think the 1995ers are probably sort of the beginning of Gen Z.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/06/06 at 10:42 pm

::) ::) ::)

Kids today don't even know the earth is round...

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/07/06 at 12:47 am

Wow, that's freakin' shocking (I think this is one clear example to say the '90s are old now)! ;D But once I thought about it, I guess it makes sense. The term "Y2K" itself kinda wasn't used much after it was actually over, so it wouldn't have really been in the culture during your sister's life. I'm guessing she probably can remember a few pieces of 1999, but something like Y2K would be pretty irrelevant to a 4 year old! ;)

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/07/06 at 1:45 am

Wow, that's freakin' shocking (I think this is one clear example to say the '90s are old now)! ;D But once I thought about it, I guess it makes sense. The term "Y2K" itself kinda wasn't used much after it was actually over, so it wouldn't have really been in the culture during your sister's life. I'm guessing she probably can remember a few pieces of 1999, but something like Y2K would be pretty irrelevant to a 4 year old! ;)

Well I knew all about the fall of communism/the break-up of the Eastern Bloc and the Berlin wall, and I was only 5 in 1991.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/07/06 at 1:47 am

A little surprising that she hasn't heard of it over the years. Y2K has been talked about so much.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/07/06 at 1:50 am

A little surprising that she hasn't heard of it over the years. Y2K has been talked about so much.

No I agree with Marty, you seldom hear the term 'Y2K' bandied around today like it was in the late 90s. It generated so much hype, almost hysteria (like people stocking up on food, bunking up, predicting the end of the world) in a 'War of the Worlds' sort of the fashion, the mere idea seems somewhat quaint today.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/07/06 at 1:51 am

No I agree with Marty, you seldom hear the term 'Y2K' bandied around today like it was in the late 90s. It generated so much hype, almost hysteria (like people stocking up on food, bunking up, predicting the end of the world) in a 'War of the Worlds' sort of the fashion, the mere idea seems somewhat quaint today.

Well you still did in 2000 itself though it's use really decreased around 2001, but then again this girl was still really young then so I guess maybe it's not so much of a surprise.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/07/06 at 1:54 am

Well you still did in 2000 itself and maybe into 2001, but then again this girl was still really young then so I guess maybe it's not so much of a surprise.

But teens today are clueless...despite the fact they have all this info at their fingertips (And don't give that 'but it's not reliable on the internet' BS excuse), they wouldn't know a horse from a cow. What they lack is good old fashioned hands on experience. Who agrees?

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/07/06 at 1:56 am

But teens today are clueless...despite the fact they have all this info at their fingertips (And don't give that 'but it's not reliable on the internet' BS excuse), they wouldn't know a horse from a cow. What they lack is good old fashioned hands on experience. Who agrees?

I knew what the soviet union was when I was 4/5, my first globe had soviet union on it and that's what I knew that area as first. Same thing with Yugoslavia. I knew who the president and vice president were when I was 5.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/07/06 at 1:59 am

I knew what the soviet union was when I was 4/5, my first globe had soviet union on it and that's what I knew that area as first. Same thing with Yugoslavia. I knew who the president and vice president were when I was 5.

Same, many of the maps/atlases/globes I used in school when growing up still had the Soviet Union on them because they were from before 1991.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/07/06 at 6:30 am

Same, many of the maps/atlases/globes I used in school when growing up still had the Soviet Union on them because they were from before 1991.

Same with me. We had these globes around 1996 that still had the Soviet Union on them. And two Vietnams. Up to like 1999, we still had these geography books dating from the late 1970s or early 1980s.

Written By: SpaceHog on 06/07/06 at 8:48 am

I knew all of the flags of the world by the time i was 2 1/2. But then again, I have Aspbeger Syndrome.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/07/06 at 12:24 pm

It is kind of hard to believe she didnt know what Y2K was but I guess it's not really all that surprising some young kids are just more observant than others when it comes to things like this.

Written By: audkal on 06/07/06 at 8:24 pm

I think it's true for most, but definitely not all.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/07/06 at 9:55 pm

I think it's true for most, but definitely not all.

Yeah, like me. :)

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/08/06 at 11:38 pm

I guess most kids below 8 or 9 don't remember 9/11 now.  Time marches on.

Written By: Classie83 on 06/09/06 at 11:45 pm

I agree, it's a great divide point for Generation Y and Z.

I remember they even had cheesy made for tv movies, in which computers went haywire, people panicked, and planes crashed.

In real life.... nothing happend.  ;D

Yeah that really sucked. It was like 3 - 2 - 1!  *chirp* *chirp* I remember I was just waiting for the Eifel tower to blow up and show us Americans what was going to happen to us in a few short hours...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/10/06 at 10:54 pm

Y2K was presented as fact and turned out to be paranoia.

The theft of national elections was presented as paranoia and turned out to be fact.

Check for new replies or respond here...