inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Sadeness"

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/11/06 at 10:27 am

I love this song. It's so sensuous!

Subject: Re: "Sadeness"

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/11/06 at 10:53 am

Who's it by?

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/11/06 at 10:55 am

Who's it by?

Enigma. I think it's from 1990.

Written By: WalkerP20 on 06/11/06 at 2:46 pm

Enigma. I think it's from 1990.

Actually, it's from 1991.  It peaked at #5 on the "Billboard Hot 100" in April 1991

Written By: nally on 06/11/06 at 3:16 pm

Yes...it's the one with all the Gregorian Chant in the background.

And it was by Enigma, as James said above. That group had another big hit: "Return To Innocence", in 1994. O0

Written By: audkal on 06/11/06 at 9:00 pm

Love this song!  But back then (the first time I heard it was like '94), my bros would tell me they thought it was scary, like demons chanting or something, lol.

Written By: WalkerP20 on 06/11/06 at 10:02 pm

Yes...it's the one with all the Gregorian Chant in the background.

And it was by Enigma, as James said above. That group had another big hit: "Return To Innocence", in 1994. O0

One of the Greatest Songs of All Time  :)

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/11/06 at 10:59 pm

I love this song. It's so sensuous!

Me too.  I agree that its sensuos.  It would be a very nice tune to get freaky with someone to. ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/12/06 at 1:01 am

Enigma is Michael Cretu and his wife Sandra. Other producers and musicians drift in and out from session to session. I think Cretu is from Romanian stock, but based in Germany.  Cretu's career was coasting on fumes when he came up with Enigma and put out "Sadeness." All of a sudden, BANG! He's back in business. Enigma has sold tens of millions of records since that worldwide hit with "Sadeness." Enigma draws elements from both New Age and Electronica. Compare Deep Forest.
Enigma makes a eminently marketable product with a high degree of production values. I see why millions buy their CDs. However, it's not my thing. "Sadeness" sounds too much like perfume commercial music, but what I objected to was the concept. The Marquis de Sade was himself a misunderstood character whose spirit was the antithesis of that song. Furthermore, what's become known as "sadism," namely sexual sadism, is a simplistic version of the Marquis' pathology. You won't find any sensuality in a sadist, just emotional cruelty and physical abuse.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/couto.gif

Written By: nally on 06/12/06 at 10:24 pm

Thanks for all the info, Maxwell.

Check for new replies or respond here...