inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New Wave bands from the '90s

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/13/06 at 3:41 pm

Nine Inch Nails
No Doubt
Orgy
Depeche Mode (they are partially '90s)
Smash Mouth

Subject: Re: New Wave bands from the '90s

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/13/06 at 3:50 pm

Nine Inch Nails
No Doubt
Orgy
Smash Mouth

Bjork.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/13/06 at 3:54 pm

Nine Inch Nails
No Doubt
Orgy
Smash Mouth

Sounds right to me. I read a review a long time ago, that said "1979" by the Smashing Pumpkins was a "90s new wave song", which makes sense to me (I liked that one first time I heard it too). :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/13/06 at 3:56 pm

Sounds right to me. I read a review a long time ago, that said "1979" by the Smashing Pumpkins was a "90s new wave song", which makes sense to me (I liked that one first time I heard it too). :)

Did you ever hear "1984" by Incubus? The song is referencing the book, not the year, but if you listen to it you can notice an '80s synth line. I wonder if they intended it to echo the year 1984.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/13/06 at 4:05 pm

Did you ever hear "1984" by Incubus? The song is referencing the book, not the year, but if you listen to it you can notice an '80s synth line. I wonder if they intended it to echo the year 1984.

No, but even though I'm not into them, I should give it a listen ( 8) ). If they did put a synth in there, it probably was for that reason, 'cause in general they seem a very post-grunge "non 80s sounding" band.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/13/06 at 4:30 pm

Actually, some of Tori Amos' stuff from around 1998 is '90s synthpop...songs like "Spark", "Purple People", "Cruel", "Hotel", "Jackie's Strength."

Written By: ralfy on 08/17/16 at 10:55 am

"Former Nine Inch Nails Keyboardist James Woolley Dies"

http://diffuser.fm/james-woolley-dies/

Written By: nally on 08/19/16 at 1:46 pm

I suppose I could mention 80s new wave bands/artists that also had big hits in the 90s, such as:

Duran Duran: "Ordinary World" and "Come Undone", both from 1993
New Order: "Regret" (1993)
B-52s: "Good Stuff" (1992); also "Roam" and "Deadbeat Club", which were hits in 1990 but were from the 1989 album Cosmic Thing
Big Audio Dynamite: "Rush" and "The Globe", both from 1991
General Public: "I'll Take You There" (1994 cover of a Staples' Singers song from the 70s)

Check for new replies or respond here...