inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Things That Define 1990

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/13/06 at 3:49 pm

1990 was a pretty crappy year, but being the year I was born in I love it (I love 1989, my year of conception too).

To me, 1990 is:

"Vogue" - Madonna
Home Alone
"Cherry Pie" - Warrant
Patrick Swayze
Bob Saget
Roseanne
Phil Collins
Second Baby Boom
Sinead O'Connor
Mc Hammer
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
They Might Be Giants
"Enjoy the Silence"
Paula Abdul
"Black Velvet"
Mariah Carey (when she was pretty)
Bart Simpson
America's Funniest Home Videos

Subject: Re: Things That Define 1990

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/13/06 at 4:19 pm

1990 was a pretty crappy year, but being the year I was born in I love it (I love 1989, my year of conception too).

To me, 1990 is:

"Vogue" - Madonna
Home Alone
"Cherry Pie" - Warrant
Patrick Swayze
Bob Saget
Roseanne
Phil Collins
Second Baby Boom
Sinead O'Connor
Mc Hammer
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
They Might Be Giants
"Enjoy the Silence"
Paula Abdul
"Black Velvet"
Mariah Carey (when she was pretty)
Bart Simpson
America's Funniest Home Videos

Yeah, I like alot of that - other than the individual songs, alot of that is very "1991ish" too. Especially Bart and the rest of the Simpsons. "King of Wishful Thinking" is also a very 1990 song.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/13/06 at 4:21 pm

Yeah, I like alot of that - other than the individual songs, alot of that is very "1991ish" too. Especially Bart and the rest of the Simpsons. "King of Wishful Thinking" is also a very 1990 song.

Would you say "King of Wishful Thinking" is the last hit song that really qualifies completely as synth pop?

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/13/06 at 4:22 pm

Would you say "King of Wishful Thinking" is the last hit song that really qualifies completely as synth pop?

Somewhat yeah, probably one of the last massive hit singles anyway. It probably sits closer to a 1988 song than even a 1991 song.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/13/06 at 4:25 pm

Somewhat yeah, probably one of the last massive hit singles anyway. It probably sits closer to a 1988 song than even a 1991 song.

It came out really early in 1990, so it was probably technically recorded in 1989.

Do you think part of the reason 1990 and 1991 are so "Eighties" is because they're made up largely of things from 1987, 1988, and 1989?  I think the attitude of that time is quite '80s too (I think the "It's the '90s Now" mindset is quite Eighties; the '90s mindset is "It's Not the '80s Anymore" which began around 1992).

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/13/06 at 4:29 pm

It came out really early in 1990, so it was probably technically recorded in 1989.

Do you think part of the reason 1990 and 1991 are so "Eighties" is because they're made up largely of things from 1987, 1988, and 1989?  I think the attitude of that time is quite '80s too (I think the "It's the '90s Now" mindset is quite Eighties; the '90s mindset is "It's Not the '80s Anymore" which began around 1992).

Yeah, or at least "1989ish inspired" things. Other than people starting to get sick of hair metal and some 1984ish things that screamed '80s (i.e. Moonwalking, Valley Girl speak), I don't think anyone really was intending to ditch the '80s in general, and they certainly couldn't have known things would shift so hard circa late 1991/early '92.

In other words, having a 1988like environment in 1990 was no big deal 'cause people probably thought it would be that way for awhile (a 1990 person probably wouldn't think a whole lot would change until 1994 or so).

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/13/06 at 4:32 pm

Yeah, or at least "1989ish inspired" things. Other than people starting to get sick of hair metal and some 1984ish things that screamed '80s (i.e. Moonwalking, Valley Girl speak), I don't think anyone really was intending to ditch the '80s in general, and they certainly couldn't have known things would shift so hard circa late 1991/early '92.

In other words, having a 1988like environment in 1990 was no big deal 'cause people probably thought it would be that way for awhile (a 1990 person probably wouldn't think a whole lot would change until 1994 or so).

I think it's kind of like how certain things from the late '90s, like NSYNC and Pokemon are completely laughable today, but other things like pop punk and TRL aren't.  The 1987-1991 era was sort of "Diet '80s", they tasted a little different, and were a little less authentic, but they were close enough to the real thing that they were still very "Eighties", sort of like how 2002-2005 was kind of a less extreme version of the 1997-2001 period.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/13/06 at 4:34 pm

Yeah, you're right. I think most of the interest in "It's the '90s now!" was along the lines of getting rid of the last traces of the aforementioned 1984ish cheese that was still floating around in 1990, being more "modern" and less Reaganite, and getting into urban culture, in a very Vanilla Ice way, and TV shows like Roseanne and The Simpsons. Of course, those all were the foundations of the '90s, but the '80s feel didn't totally disappear for the gritty '90s feel until late 1991. Then, there was the "It's not the '80s anymore", 1993ish thing going on. That's more along the lines of '80s sitcoms getting cancelled or losing popularity.

I think the easier comparison is that 2001 was the "diet late '90s."

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/13/06 at 4:36 pm

I think it's kind of like how certain things from the late '90s, like NSYNC and Pokemon are completely laughable today, but other things like pop punk and TRL aren't.  The 1987-1991 era was sort of "Diet '80s", they tasted a little different, and were a little less authentic, but they were close enough to the real thing that they were still very "Eighties", sort of like how 2002-2005 was kind of a less extreme version of the 1997-2001 period.

That's a decent assessment. Even in some ways, right now feels like a "Diet" 2001 or 2002. ;)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/13/06 at 4:36 pm

Yeah, you're right. I think most of the interest in "It's the '90s now!" was along the lines of getting rid of the last traces of the aforementioned 1984ish cheese that was still floating around in 1990, being more "modern" and less Reaganite, and getting into urban culture, in a very Vanilla Ice way, and TV shows like Roseanne and The Simpsons. Of course, those all were the foundations of the '90s, but the '80s feel didn't totally disappear for the gritty '90s feel until late 1991. Then, there was the "It's not the '80s anymore", 1993ish thing going on. That's more along the lines of '80s sitcoms getting cancelled or losing popularity.

I think the easier comparison is that 2001 was the "diet late '90s."

Vanilla Ice defines how as non-'80s as people thought 1990 and 1991 were at the time, it was much closer to the late '80s than it was to the '90s that were to come.  In some ways the Vanilla Ice era is even cheesier than the actual 1980s!

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/13/06 at 4:37 pm

That's a decent assessment. Even in some ways, right now feels like a "Diet" 2001 or 2002. ;)

Actually, at the moment, I think we're briefly receding to that, since alot of the things (like over-the-top glam rap) that define the mid-'00s seem to be receding a little.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/13/06 at 4:39 pm

I think the fall of '05 was the first part of the '00s that was completely removed from the '90s. The emo trend seems very non-'90s, and fall of '05 is when it took over rock music. Also, Reggaeton and sex rap started taking over glam rap, which is still in some ways tied to 1997.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/13/06 at 4:40 pm

Vanilla Ice defines how as non-'80s as people thought 1990 and 1991 were at the time, it was much closer to the late '80s than it was to the '90s that were to come.  In some ways the Vanilla Ice era is even cheesier than the actual 1980s!

Yeah, it is. ;D

I've often thought one thing I'd like to do if I had a time machine (well, there's alot, but you get the idea :D ) is go back to 1990 or early '91, take a random person, especially one who, let's say paid alot of attention to current pop culture, and interview them how they thought the '90s would be and everything they hoped would come and how they felt in relation to the recently departed '80s.

I'm thinking they probably would say the "90s" WOULD be stuff like Vanilla Ice or at least the Beastie Boys or perhaps Metaliica. Even by 1989 I think people knew hair metal was on the skids, but other than that, everything else was blindsided by grunge.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/13/06 at 4:42 pm

Yeah, it is. ;D

I've often thought one thing I'd like to do if I had a time machine (well, there's alot, but you get the idea :D ) is go back to 1990 or early '91, take a random person, especially one who, let's say paid alot of attention to current pop culture, and interview them how they thought the '90s would be and everything they hoped would come and how they felt in relation to the recently departed '80s.

I'm thinking they probably would say the "90s" WOULD be stuff like Vanilla Ice or at least the Beastie Boys or perhaps Metaliica. Even by 1989 I think people knew hair metal was on the skids, but other than that, everything else was blindsided by grunge.

Did you ever see that Full House episode from 1989 where they flashed back to 1983? I think it's sort of like how in 2000 the early '90s seemed like a long time ago, but 1997 was pretty much yesterday.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/13/06 at 4:42 pm

I think the fall of '05 was the first part of the '00s that was completely removed from the '90s. The emo trend seems very non-'90s, and fall of '05 is when it took over rock music. Also, Reggaeton and sex rap started taking over glam rap, which is still in some ways tied to 1997.

You could also say about 1986 was the first period that felt removed from the '70s, totally. New wave was sort of tied to 1978 and punk, for example. By when do you think almost everything from the late '80s was uncool? The middle of 1996?

I also think people thought it would have just a less Reaganized '80s ethos...but still that sense of "fun!" Also, people probably thought house music and maybe some stadium alt rock like R.E.M. and Jane's Addiction  would've been huge.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/13/06 at 4:44 pm

You could also say about 1986 was the first period that felt removed from the '70s, totally. New wave was sort of tied to 1978 and punk, for example. By when do you think almost everything from the late '80s was uncool? The middle of 1996?

I also think people thought it would have just a less Reaganized '80s ethos...but still that sense of "fun!" Also, people probably thought house music and maybe some stadium alt rock like R.E.M. and Jane's Addiction  would've been huge.

I think 1997 was the last year that had any '80s whatsoever. 1989 was only 8 years ago then, so certain things were still kind of like the late '80s. 1998 was when the '80s started seeming like "another era". 

In terms of "coolness", I'd say 1995 is the last year with any pseudo-'80sness.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/13/06 at 4:44 pm

Did you ever see that Full House episode from 1989 where they flashed back to 1983? I think it's sort of like how in 2000 the early '90s seemed like a long time ago, but 1997 was pretty much yesterday.

I'd definitely remember seeing that ( :D ), is it from Season 2 (I own all 1-3 Season DVD sets but haven't yet watched every ep)?

Yeah, I think in 1989 or 1990, 1987 may have been a little dated, but it was basically just around the corner. I can see how a 1989 person would view '83 as forever ago though (pre-CDs, Nintendo games, and MTV only starting to explode everywhere).

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/13/06 at 4:46 pm

I'd definitely remember seeing that ( :D ), is it from Season 2 (I own all 1-3 Season DVD sets but haven't yet watched every ep)?

Yeah, I think in 1989 or 1990, 1987 may have been a little dated, but it was basically just around the corner. I can see how a 1989 person would view '83 as forever ago though (pre-CDs, Nintendo games, and MTV only starting to explode everywhere).

If you're a little kid, or have a short attention span (I think the '80s had a shorter attention span than any other decade!  ;D) 2 or 3 years can actually be a long time. 2001 seems so much more recent to me than 1998.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/13/06 at 4:50 pm

If you're a little kid, or have a short attention span (I think the '80s had a shorter attention span than any other decade!  ;D) 2 or 3 years can actually be a long time. 2001 seems so much more recent to me than 1998.

I actually can attest to that. I remember alot of my peers in class, or the kids of friends my parents had who were close in age to me, were TOTALLY short attention spanned and, say would never be able to sit through a movie in the theatre! ;D

I remember thinking my AGE was awhile ago as a kid but not the things (i.e. when I was 9 I would've said "Hey it's been a long time since I was 6, but the stuff I liked then doesn't seem too old").

Written By: Bobby on 06/13/06 at 5:33 pm

I wouldn't class it as the last as their 1992 hit 'Faithful' followed similar lines. There were plenty of hits in 1991 that could fit into the 'pop synth' bracket ('Good Vibrations' by Marky Mark and 'I wanna be rich' by Calloway fit for example).

Lonnie Gordon
The 'Madchester' scene (Charlatans, Happy Mondays, The Farm, Stone Roses etc)
Captain Planet
Dick Tracy
Seinfeld
Wac '90 (Wide Awake Club spin-off)
Big Fun
Vanilla Ice
MC Hammer

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/13/06 at 5:36 pm

I wouldn't class it as the last as their 1992 hit 'Faithful' followed similar lines. There were plenty of hits in 1991 that could fit into the 'pop synth' bracket ('Good Vibrations' by Marky Mark and 'I wanna be rich' by Calloway fit for example).

Oh, I loved "Faithful"! 8) I always thought that was from '93, but yeah, that definitely sounded like 1989 or even the mid '80s perhaps.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/13/06 at 6:39 pm

I remember Dick Tracy being hugely popular in 1990. Also, Gameboys were popular, as was Bart Simpson.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/13/06 at 10:51 pm

Music: M.C. Hammer, Vanilla Ice, Nelson, Wilson Phillips, Snap, Technotronic, Depeche Mode

Movies: Dick Tracy, T.M.N.T., Total Recall, Pretty Woman, Ghost, Dances With Wolves, Goodfellas, Home Alone

TV shows: Fresh Prince of Bel Air and In Living Color

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/14/06 at 4:42 pm

There's a home video of me when we went to Bakersfield, CA for our rollerskating competition and I was in the hotel room and I turned on the TV and they were playing "Back to Life" on MTV and I started dancing to it and I said, "Sounds good" lol  ;D This was around February 1990.

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/13/10 at 8:35 am

Slaughter and Damn Yankees were two of the late hair metal bands as well who pretty much were kaput after grunge. Also, the Nickelodeon game shows Wild & Crazy Kids and Make The Grade were huge at the time.

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/13/10 at 8:42 am

Slaughter and Damn Yankees were two of the late hair metal bands as well who pretty much were kaput after grunge. Also, the Nickelodeon game shows Wild & Crazy Kids and Make The Grade were huge at the time.

But here are most of the TV show openings from 1990. You can clearly see how "retro" it feels nowadays, before the death of good themes and greed removed many to just a few seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lJ-PndOXlI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQXg9P3grPQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-z7Hd7SXLk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X2DJbRlUlk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JCaaSdmHSs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_iULRBGV7g&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWrUYoZtZzs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF5l0SoNIJ8&feature=related

Written By: Ryan112390 on 07/13/10 at 1:09 pm

1990 was basically a continuation of the 1987-1989 (Republican President, Democrat Congreess, Hair Metal, growing underground grunge scene, most of the old "80s" shows were still on TV and were huge and even the new shows which debuted in '90 had a very 80s mindset or atmosphere in their first season. I don't think there was anything uniquely "1990" outside of Parachute Pants and Vanilla Ice.

What do you guys think? What was uniquely 1990, and contradictory, what did 1990 have in common with the '80s?

Written By: Danny on 07/21/10 at 3:47 pm

I depends where you live.For example I grew up in a then small town 20 min.outside of Dallas,around above years mentioned the town had grown pretty much since '83 when they just first started widening or opening new roads and  the house developments started to increase as more people from oustide started to move in localy or from  up north and east coast, and corp.companies started seeing it as  interesting realstate.So we were starting to get more cosmopaliton exposure .'83 back in school  for instance I would say I saw anything '70's totaly disappear and '80's prevail, by '84  was no exception ,more  'trend-style kids" and lesser "hicks",even some teachers/staff (mainly the women)started getting in on trying trendy-do's. It started spilling over into middle school and saw it start to pop up in elementary in the way of hair-styles/cuts. So the point I'm trying to get to is the farther distance away from like a big city can affect the transition and you may only see it in the form of such as vehicles. Oh yea,quite afew farmers will invest in a new car/truck if they can every 5-10 years to get them around . That farm-hick driving that old clunker is a steryotype!Not always... Danny

Check for new replies or respond here...