inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does being born in the '90s make you partly Gen Z?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/15/06 at 3:03 pm

I was born in 1990, but I've always seen myself as being in the same "camp" as people born in 1987, 1988, and 1989, and slightly older than those born in 1991, 1992, and 1993 (although I can socialize with both).

I don't think people born "with" the '90s (those born in 1990, 1991, and perhaps 1992) have any Gen Z at all in them, but I guess you could make the case that they do because they wouldn't have a complete '90s experience and would be more open to "YZ" early '00s kids stuff like Zoog Disney and Spongebob.

Subject: Re: Does being born in the '90s make you partly Gen Z?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/15/06 at 3:18 pm

Also, I consider those born in the mid and late '80s to be more Gen Y than anyone. Us born in the early and mid '90s are the same generation, but are sort of the "little siblings" of Gen Y.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/15/06 at 3:19 pm

They may have some Gen Z in them(esp. those born in '92) but I would still consider them to be mostly Gen Y.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/15/06 at 3:25 pm

I don't think it makes you partly gen z, it does you party an '00s kid (for the early '00s) like you said about being into zoog disney and stuff, the first year that might be party gen z is 1993.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/15/06 at 4:03 pm

I was born in 1990, but I've always seen myself as being in the same "camp" as people born in 1987, 1988, and 1989, and slightly older than those born in 1991, 1992, and 1993 (although I can socialize with both).

I don't think people born "with" the '90s (those born in 1990, 1991, and perhaps 1992) have any Gen Z at all in them, but I guess you could make the case that they do because they wouldn't have a complete '90s experience and would be more open to "YZ" early '00s kids stuff like Zoog Disney and Spongebob.

No, it doesn't. 1990, 1991, and 1992 are VERY Gen Y birth years...being born in Reagan's second term or G. Bush Sr's term is a peak Gen Y thing. I'm not Gen Z at all. Though I was an early '00s older kid, like around 2001. I think that 1993 is the first year with some Gen Z in them.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/15/06 at 4:05 pm

No, it doesn't. 1990, 1991, and 1992 are VERY Gen Y birth years...being born in Reagan's second term or G. Bush Sr's term is a peak Gen Y thing. I'm not Gen Z at all. Though I was an early '00s older kid, like around 2001. I think that 1993 is the first year with some Gen Z in them.

Yeah I agree.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/12/16 at 11:52 am

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

It's amazing how this thread didn't get many responses when it was created. As for the question despite it being old, I would have said no because generations about 20 years each which would make 90s people part of the same cohort. If you look at sociology, generations are determined by using elements such as events, traits, education, pop culture, the atmosphere etc.

Since most of this generation were adolescents and still in school during that year, there's truly no way that being a 90s born at that time would make someone partly Z.

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/12/16 at 12:00 pm

To me if you grew up in a time where pop culture was mainly millennial then you're a millennial. Millennial culture didn't start fading until the mid 2010s. The very end of the 1990s, all of the 2000s, and the early part of the 2010s had culture that was mainly meant for and/or created by millennials. So if your childhood, adolescence, and 18+ college/adult years took place in late 1990s - early 2010s then you're millennial to me.  Especially since by the time the media starts focusing on Plurals and Plural culture is in full swing someone in their 20s or older may be a bit alienated (millennials may understand early plural culture, but not core or late plural culture unless they're culture savvy which is rare.)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/12/16 at 12:15 pm

To me if you grew up in a time where pop culture was mainly millennial then you're a millennial. Millennial culture didn't start fading until the mid 2010s. The very end of the 1990s, all of the 2000s, and the early part of the 2010s had culture that was mainly meant for and/or created by millennials. So if your childhood, adolescence, and 18+ college/adult years took place in late 1990s - early 2010s then you're millennial to me.  Especially since by the time the media starts focusing on Plurals and Plural culture is in full swing someone in their 20s or older may be a bit alienated (millennials may understand early plural culture, but not core or late plural culture unless they're culture savvy which is rare.)
I agree with your whole post although people can still participate in Plural pop culture even if they are not the target audience anymore.

Yeah, the time span for Millennial pop culture would be from 1997 to 2013/14. I'm definitely sure the Centennial culture is not only starting to rise, but it's also getting bigger each year.

Written By: 2001 on 08/12/16 at 12:21 pm

I don't have many qualms with Statistics Canada starting Gen Z in 1993, although I'd push it back to 1990, because 1990-1993 were the first time voters in the 2011 election.

Edit: oh lol, old thread. What's with the bumps lol

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/12/16 at 12:31 pm

I don't have many qualms with Statistics Canada starting Gen Z in 1993, although I'd push it back to 1990, because 1990-1993 were the first time voters in the 2011 election.

Edit: oh lol, old thread. What's with the bumps lol
Well it's because these old threads are hilarious :D ;) ;D ;D especially with the predictions being insanely wrong.

Do you find it awkward that the Y generation in Canada began in 1972?

Written By: 2001 on 08/12/16 at 12:53 pm

Well it's because these old threads are hilarious :D ;) ;D ;D especially with the predictions being insanely wrong.

Do you find it awkward that the Y generation in Canada began in 1972?

I would begin it in 1975 or 1976. People born in the late 70s don't feel that much older than me. They know how to use the Internet lol. And a lot of people that age range play video games from what I've noticed, which feels very Gen Y.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/12/16 at 1:01 pm

I would begin it in 1975 or 1976. People born in the late 70s don't feel that much older than me. They know how to use the Internet lol. And a lot of people that age range play video games from what I've noticed, which feels very Gen Y.
Same here. I actually consider them more as peers than someone who can be my parents. As for video games, you're right. I've seen quite plenty of them especially online in multiplayer and the fact they're using headsets to speak with other folks and to dominate the battlefield. :D ;D

Written By: 2001 on 08/12/16 at 1:08 pm

Same here. I actually consider them more as peers than someone who can be my parents. As for video games, you're right. I've seen quite plenty of them especially online in multiplayer and the fact they're using headsets to speak with other folks and to dominate the battlefield. :D ;D

Basically how I'm starting to see kt

Young adults of the late 60s to early 80s (Trudeau era) are Boomers.

Young of adults of the 80s and pre-Internet 90s are Gen X (the economy was terrible for most of it).

Young adults of the late 90s and the 2000s (Internet generation) are Gen Y

Post-recession and 2010s young adults are Gen Z (digital natives).

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/12/16 at 1:42 pm

Early 90s, absolutely not.

Mid and late 90s... hmm, possibly.

00s, definitely.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/12/16 at 4:50 pm

So even though my childhood and part of my adolescence took place in the 2000s and early 2010s, do you still consider me as a Millennial?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/13/16 at 12:54 am

Basically how I'm starting to see kt

Young adults of the late 60s to early 80s (Trudeau era) are Boomers.

Young of adults of the 80s and pre-Internet 90s are Gen X (the economy was terrible for most of it).

Young adults of the late 90s and the 2000s (Internet generation) are Gen Y

Post-recession and 2010s young adults are Gen Z (digital natives).
And this how I see it here in the US:

Young adults of the mid-late 60s to early 80s are Boomers.

Young of adults of the 80s and 90s are Gen X.

Young adults of the 2000s and the 2010s are Gen Y

Future late 2010s and 2020s young adults are Gen Z

00s, definitely.
Oh yeah, those from the 00s are absolutely Z, but the mid-late 90s are in between since the generation cutoffs at either 1994, '96 '98 or 2000. 

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/13/16 at 1:03 am

So even though my childhood and part of my adolescence took place in the 2000s and early 2010s, do you still consider me as a Millennial?

Well, since you have such a strong connection with the 00s culture, then yea. Barely... But yea lol

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/13/16 at 1:09 am

I agree with your whole post although people can still participate in Plural pop culture even if they are not the target audience anymore.

Yeah, the time span for Millennial pop culture would be from 1997 to 2013/14. I'm definitely sure the Centennial culture is not only starting to rise, but it's also getting bigger each year.

Disagree.... It was 1999. 1997 and 1998 was X/Y IMO.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/13/16 at 1:11 am

00s, definitely.

This.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/13/16 at 1:44 am

Disagree.... It was 1999. 1997 and 1998 was X/Y IMO.
First year where completely Y? Yeah, I agree, but being honest, 1997 and '98 pretty much had some more Millennial pop culture than X. ;) Even Infinity has already explained the transition.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/13/16 at 1:52 am

First year where completely Y? Yeah, I agree, but being honest, 1997 and '98 pretty much had some more Millennial pop culture than X. ;) Even Infinity has already explained the transition.

Yea and Jacqueline's views on the transition are spot on. But 1997 is an interesting one cause that year still seems more X than Y to me. Now 1998, yea without question more Y than X.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/13/16 at 1:58 am

Yea and Jacqueline's views on the transition are spot on. But 1997 is an interesting one cause that year still seems more X than Y to me. Now 1998, yea without question more Y than X.
Yeah, you're right, but at the same time, there was definitely some Y culture. I mean you have to remember, the older Millennials were already part of the target audience by then, so that could play a factor.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/13/16 at 9:37 am

Well, since you have such a strong connection with the 00s culture, then yea. Barely... But yea lol

Then why the hell do people think that 2000s kids aren't that much like Millennials? I mean, my childhood was in the mid-late 2000s for crying out loud.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/14/16 at 6:55 pm

Then why the hell do people think that 2000s kids aren't that much like Millennials? I mean, my childhood was in the mid-late 2000s for crying out loud.
It's because most Millennials were either adolescents or adults during the decade while the Plurals were kids. Looking at the kid culture, it was pretty much targeted towards Plurals by 2005.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/14/16 at 6:59 pm

It's because most Millennials were either adolescents or adults during the decade while the Plurals were kids. Looking at the kid culture, it was pretty much targeted towards Plurals by 2005.

But Toon said that if your childhood took place in the late 1990s - early 2010s, then you're possibly a Millennial. Considering that my childhood took place in the mid-late 2000s, especially with my preteen years being in the early 2010s, then I'm a bit of a Millennial.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/14/16 at 7:10 pm

But Toon said that if your childhood took place in the late 1990s - early 2010s, then you're possibly a Millennial. Considering that my childhood took place in the mid-late 2000s, especially with my preteen years being in the early 2010s, then I'm a bit of a Millennial.
I think he might have gotten mixed up. A Millennial's childhood took place between  the late 80s and early 00s. Any timeframe after that, would be the Plural's childhood. Now if he meant adolescence, then yes, the period he mentioned would be correct.

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/14/16 at 7:12 pm

Whoops let me clear that up for a sec. I meant to say that if your childhood, adolescence, and 18+ years (all 3 stages not just one) took place between the late 1990s-early 2010s you'd be a millennial. I wasn't just talking about childhood, but all of the the stages up to 18+. If you were a kid in the late 1990s/early 2000s, teen in the late 2000s, an 18+ adult by the early 2010s (or whenever the millennial culture started to fade) you'd be a millennial since throughout all your young years going up to college you were exposed to millennial culture. For example by the time kid culture was changing from millennial culture to plural culture a millennial member was already entering his/her pre-teens/teens and still experiencing millennial adolescence culture. And by the time teen culture moved to plurals the millennial member would've been an adult and experiencing adult millennial culture.

Again I'm terrible at wording/explaining things.

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/14/16 at 7:15 pm

I think he might have gotten mixed up. A Millennial's childhood took place between  the late 80s and early 00s. Any timeframe after that, would be the Plural's childhood. Now if he meant adolescence, then yes, the period he mentioned would be correct.

Meant childhood and adolscence. For example you were a kid in the early 2000s. By the time kid culture moved to plurals you were in your pre-teens/teens years experiencing adolescent culture. By the time teen culture moved to plurals you were already 18+ and experiencing millennial adulthood  culture. Stop me in the places that I'd be incorrect, but wouldn't this make you a millennial?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/14/16 at 7:19 pm

Whoops let me clear that up for a sec. I meant to say that if your childhood, adolescence, and 18+ years (all 3 stages not just one) took place between the late 1990s-early 2010s you'd be a millennial. I wasn't just talking about childhood, but all of the the stages up to 18+. If you were a kid in the late 1990s/early 2000s, teen in the late 2000s, an 18+ adult by the early 2010s (or whenever the millennial culture started to fade) you'd be a millennial since throughout all your young years going up to college you were exposed to millennial culture. For example by the time kid culture was changing from millennial culture to plural culture a millennial member was already entering his/her pre-teens/teens and still experiencing millennial adolescence culture. And by the time teen culture moved to plurals the millennial member would've been an adult and experiencing adult millennial culture.

http://rs843.pbsrc.com/albums/zz352/WhammyBusiness/Gifs/Wee-BeyOhhh.gif~c200

Well.. at least I'm still a Y/Z hybrid.  :-[

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/14/16 at 7:34 pm

http://rs843.pbsrc.com/albums/zz352/WhammyBusiness/Gifs/Wee-BeyOhhh.gif~c200

Well.. at least I'm still a Y/Z hybrid.  :-"This person is a millennial who was born at the cutoff year. But since the other person next to him is 1 year younger than that other person is of a different generation and he cannot relate to the guy who's on year older at all". NOPE! That's not how it works. So yeah as a hybrid you could relate to both millennials and plurals.

Lets speak hypothetically and say that millennials end at 1989 while Plurals start in 1990. I have a cousin who was born in 1989, but despite us having different generation labels doesn't mean we can't relate. This is where the idea of "cusps" come into play.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/14/16 at 8:12 pm

Oh, it's not your fault man. Sometimes, these things can be complicated. I see where you're coming from about the time span; however though, if we're including all 3 stages, then the span would be late 80s (oldest Millennials were kids by then) to early 10s (the youngest ones reached adulthood). By splitting that, we get the Y's childhood span from about 1988 to 2004; the adolescence span from about 1995 to 2013 and then the adulthood would be post-1997.

Meant childhood and adolscence. For example you were a kid in the early 2000s. By the time kid culture moved to plurals you were in your pre-teens/teens years experiencing adolescent culture. By the time teen culture moved to plurals you were already 18+ and experiencing millennial adulthood  culture. Stop me in the places that I'd be incorrect, but wouldn't this make you a millennial?
Yes, it would although I would be one of the youngest Millennials since the last Y pop culture year was 2013.

Possibly. Some use the idea of cusps while others do not. I do use the ideas of cusps since humans are complex creatures. You can't just go "This person is a millennial who was born at the cutoff year. But since the other person next to him is 1 year younger than that other person is of a different generation and he cannot relate to the guy who's on year older at all". NOPE! That's not how it works. So yeah as a hybrid you could relate to both millennials and plurals.

Lets speak hypothetically and say that millennials end at 1989 while Plurals start in 1990. I have a cousin who was born in 1989, but despite us having different generation labels doesn't mean we can't relate. This is where the idea of "cusps" come into play.
Ding ding ding!!!!! This is what cusps truly are as some people can either identify with both generations or neither of them. I honestly think the 1995-2000 cohort are really both, since I've seen some of them have a generation identity crisis like the 1977-83 group.

Check for new replies or respond here...