inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Shouldn't everybody just settle on the fact that the '90s are 1990-1999

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/15/06 at 8:49 pm

I mean all this debate over and over and over again on here whether 1999 feels more '90s or '00s, doesn't it get sooooo old? There is no definitive answer that you can agree on because everybody looks at it from a different perspective. The bottom line is the '90s are everything that happened between 1990 and 1999 regardless of how you think it "feels". I don't think I or anyone else on here will ever really be able to answer the question whether 1999 feels more '90s or '00s with any real certainty. At first I didn't mind the question, but now it seems to be part of the discussion on here almost every single day. Now I know I can ignore it, but actually I'm just trying to give you guys some advice so you don't sit here and debate about the same thing every day and just settle on the fact the '90s are 1990-1999.

Subject: Re: Shouldn't everybody just settle on the fact that the '90s are 1990-1999

Written By: whistledog on 06/15/06 at 8:55 pm

I fully agree

Subject: Re: Shouldn't everybody just settle on the fact that the '90s are 1990-1999

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/15/06 at 8:59 pm

I agree. This debate has long overstayed its welcome. It may have been a good debate, say, 2 years ago, but now it has been done to death. Everyone has different ideas on when cultural periods started and finished, and I'm sure different parts of the world are unique in this aswell.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/15/06 at 9:01 pm

I agree. This debate has long overstayed its welcome. It may have been a good debate, say, 2 years ago, but now it has been done to death. Everyone has different ideas on when cultural periods started and finished, and I'm sure different parts of the world are unique in this aswell.

Yeah for a while I didn't mind it and participated, but it keeps coming back again and I'm getting sick of trying to answer it. There are so many other actually important things about the '90s (1990-1999) to discuss.

Written By: Roadgeek on 06/15/06 at 9:25 pm

Right! The '90s are diverse! Final answer.

Written By: Derek06 on 06/15/06 at 9:42 pm

But you guys are talking about YEARS and only years.  We're more focased on the change in pop culture.  Plus, if we ended conversations about that, what else would we talk about.  Oh, and by the way, gen z SO began in 1996.  :D

Written By: Ebontyne on 06/17/06 at 4:33 pm

Yes. My opinion is that we sometimes try a little too hard to hammer stages of pop culture into decades. But pop culture doesn't change just because the numbers on our calendars change. The year 1999 is different from 2004, but it was also just as different - actually, I think even more different - from 1994. Just like any other year (or any other arbitrary designation of time), it points both backwards and forwards.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/17/06 at 4:39 pm

Yes. My opinion is that we sometimes try too a little too hard to hammer stages of pop culture into decades. But pop culture doesn't change just because the numbers on our calendars change. The year 1999 is different from 2004, but it was also just as different - incidentally, I think even more different - from 1994. Just like any other year (or any other arbitrary designation of time), it points both backwards and forwards.

Yeah I agree. Things are always changing, it pointless trying to create a single '90s era, when the '90s are simply what happened between 1990 and 1999 and nothing more.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 06/18/06 at 2:12 am

I mean all this debate over and over and over again on here whether 1999 feels more '90s or '00s, doesn't it get sooooo old? There is no definitive answer that you can agree on because everybody looks at it from a different perspective. The bottom line is the '90s are everything that happened between 1990 and 1999 regardless of how you think it "feels". I don't think I or anyone else on here will ever really be able to answer the question whether 1999 feels more '90s or '00s with any real certainty. At first I didn't mind the question, but now it seems to be part of the discussion on here almost every single day. Now I know I can ignore it, but actually I'm just trying to give you guys some advice so you don't sit here and debate about the same thing every day and just settle on the fact the '90s are 1990-1999.
Are you a moderator at another forum? You really said that well, and hit the nail on the head. I have never understood why people here debate that, and debate it so much. I have always skipped those threads. Its obvious that the decade began in 1990, and ended in 1999. What is there to debate on the subject? Yeah, pop culture is a little different every year. But its like that in every decade. Things change, even if its small changes. Discuss all the various aspects of pop culture. Why you would debate the years a decade began and ended is unbelievable.

It definitely clutters up the forum. I have also noticed alot of other redundant topics that do plenty of cluttering. These types of threads should be locked every time they start, and people will quit creating them. I also think if people cant stop talking about what year a decade begins or ends, there should be a sticky topic on the subject, and all discussion on that matter stays in that one thread.

Check for new replies or respond here...