inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Adult Contemporay Songs on Pop Radio in the 90s

Written By: Derek06 on 06/15/06 at 9:55 pm

I noticed that alot of popular songs that came out in the 90s were more adult-based songs.  The first thing that pops into my head is those reverb-echo full balads of Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, etc.  Was MTV into AC stuff in the 90s?  I mean, I really can't get over how much music has really changed within the last 10-15 years.  Now, it seems like every song is unappropriate, sexed up, party beat songs 9although, there are a few that are nice a and relaxing today too). Was pop radio more focased on Adults rather than early teens in the 90s, or did teens in th 90s like Celine Dion's "It's All Coming Back To Me".  I find that very hard to believe (even though I like the song now, and I'm 16).  I know those were lots of quesions, but does someone have answers?

Subject: Re: Adult Contemporay Songs on Pop Radio in the 90s

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/15/06 at 10:08 pm

I noticed that alot of popular songs that came out in the 90s were more adult-based songs.  The first thing that pops into my head is those reverb-echo full balads of Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, etc.  Was MTV into AC stuff in the 90s?  I mean, I really can't get over how much music has really changed within the last 10-15 years.  Now, it seems like every song is unappropriate, sexed up, party beat songs 9although, there are a few that are nice a and relaxing today too). Was pop radio more focased on Adults rather than early teens in the 90s, or did teens in th 90s like Celine Dion's "It's All Coming Back To Me".  I find that very hard to believe (even though I like the song now, and I'm 16).  I know those were lots of quesions, but does someone have answers?

There were probably more a/c songs doing well on the hot 100 then, but there's a lot of huge a/c songs from the 2000s as well, just look at this year "Unwritten", "You're Beautiful", "Bad Day", last year with "We Belong Together", also big '00s hits like "Soak Up The Sun", "Thank You", "White Flag", "The First Cut is the Deepest", "Drops of Jupiter", "Clocks", "The Reason". There was tons of '90s music aimed at younger people (especially 1995 and later), like TLC, Brandy, Monica, Color Me Badd, Blackstreet, Ginuwine, Spice Girls, BSB, NSync, Hanson, Robyn, Montell Jordan, Aaliyah, Informer by Snow, Hotsteppa- Ini Kamoze.

Check for new replies or respond here...