inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 'Pizza Hut' or 'Video Arcade/Nintendo' Era

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/17/06 at 5:22 am

Let us, as dispensers of pop cultural theories ( ;D), coin our term unique term for the early 90s (if it hasn't been done so, already). I'm planning to write a Wikipedia article on it, and wondered what all you faithful 'Decadeologists' thought about it. What term is more fitting or appropriate for the term 1988-1993 - the pre 'core-90s' - an era when the SNES peaked, the peak of Video arcades, neons/flannel.etc. The two main contenders are 'Pizza Hut' (or Dominoes) Era, or the Video Arcade/Nintendo era.

Subject: Re: 'Pizza Hut' or 'Video Arcade/Nintendo' Era

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/17/06 at 3:03 pm

Nintendo Era

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/17/06 at 3:10 pm

Let us, as dispensers of pop cultural theories ( ;D), coin our term unique term for the early 90s (if it hasn't been done so, already). I'm planning to write a Wikipedia article on it, and wondered what all you faithful 'Decadeologists' thought about it. What term is more fitting or appropriate for the term 1988-1993 - the pre 'core-90s' - an era when the SNES peaked, the peak of Video arcades, neons/flannel.etc. The two main contenders are 'Pizza Hut' (or Dominoes) Era, or the Video Arcade/Nintendo era.

"Nintendo era" makes more sense. Pizza, I dunno, pizza is pretty universal.
Dominoe's has been around since the 1950s, but didn't get HUGE until the 1980s. They used to have the "half hour or less or its free" delivery policy. They had to drop that after a few road fatalities involving Dominoe's drivers.
"Sorry, Mrs. Smith, looks like your husband died so Joe Shmo wouldn't get a free pizza!"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/crybaby2.gif

Pizza Hut has been wildly successful for as long as I can remember. I don't understand why because it's abominable. You've got in Pizza Hut a combination of terrible food and terrible service. I thought the free market was supposed to take care of this sort of thing!

Written By: Roadgeek on 06/17/06 at 3:15 pm

Pizza Hut has always been my favorite pizza. It seems like I'm all alone on the Internet becuase for some reason, everyone doesn't like it. Pizza Hut is the '90s (1991-1996).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/17/06 at 3:19 pm

Pizza Hut has always been my favorite pizza. It seems like I'm all alone on the Internet becuase for some reason, everyone doesn't like it. Pizza Hut is the '90s (1991-1996).

"Pizza Hut, makin' it late."

I guess it's the same with Domino's. A lot of people also hate Domino's, but I happen to like it. I admit it's basically a salt pie, and that's why it's so tasty!
:-\\

What's worse about Pizza Hut than the pizza is several things. The service is slow, the seats are uncomfortable, the interior is hideous, the salad bar is a diarrhea catalyst, and they keep frikkin' Miller Light on tap.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/17/06 at 3:20 pm

I think Pizza Hut is still the no.1 pizza place, isn't it? It's alright but probably not my favorite.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/18/06 at 12:23 am

I think Pizza Hut is still the no.1 pizza place, isn't it? It's alright but probably not my favorite.

Pizza Hut and Dominoes  :P

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/18/06 at 12:53 pm

Pizza Hut has been around for a long time. It's very pre-1990s. So to categorize it as a 90s thing is wrong.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/18/06 at 1:10 pm

Pizza Hut has been around for a long time. It's very pre-1990s. So to categorize it as a 90s thing is wrong.

As far as I know Puzza Hut was founded in Witchita in the 1950s. It spread pretty quickly. There was a Pizza Hut in our little town long before there was even a McD's.
"Thin 'n' Crispy" or "Thick 'n' Chewy"? Actually, it wasn't even in our town, but the one directly south of us, our town had just a single General Store. Last time I checked, it still did! Now, there was a McD's we used to frequent in Nashua, NH, about 15 miles south of us, but it wasn't until 1982 that Milford got its first McDonald's. Pizza Hut had opened up on the inbound side of Route 101 at least as early as 1972, and last time I went through there it was still in the same location.

Whereas McDonald's opened a franchise in Moscow, Pizza Hut opened a franchise in Beijing about the same time, 1990.

Pizza Hut San Salvador, anybody?
http://www.pizzahut.com.sv/

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/18/06 at 2:32 pm

As far as I know Puzza Hut was founded in Witchita in the 1950s. It spread pretty quickly. There was a Pizza Hut in our little town long before there was even a McD's.
"Thin 'n' Crispy" or "Thick 'n' Chewy"? Actually, it wasn't even in our town, but the one directly south of us, our town had just a single General Store. Last time I checked, it still did! Now, there was a McD's we used to frequent in Nashua, NH, about 15 miles south of us, but it wasn't until 1982 that Milford got its first McDonald's. Pizza Hut had opened up on the inbound side of Route 101 at least as early as 1972, and last time I went through there it was still in the same location.

Whereas McDonald's opened a franchise in Moscow, Pizza Hut opened a franchise in Beijing about the same time, 1990.

Where I am, neither is terribly popular, due to the proliferation of excellent independent pizza parlors that deliver.

Written By: Roadgeek on 06/18/06 at 3:09 pm

I absolutely love Pizza Hut. Unfortunately, the only pizza place that delivers to our house is Domino's. Domino's is good, but I get sick of eating only Domino's week after week. We live about 3-4 miles outside of the nearest Pizza Hut's delivery area. :\'(

Even though Pizza Hut was started around 1958, I do believe Pizza Hut was pretty '90s back in the day. I have so many good memories of Pizza Hut. Unfortunately, I've never really experienced their delivery as I mentioned before. The Domino's that delivers to our house didn't open until 1999.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/18/06 at 5:59 pm

Where I am, neither is terribly popular, due to the proliferation of excellent independent pizza parlors that deliver.

I live in a college town, hence pizza city. The best & most popular is a little pizza joint called Antonio's. They do a brisk business both when the students are here and when they're not. However, they get their biggest rush when the bars on the block start letting out after midnight.

The reason Domino's thrives is they deliver quickly and they deliver later than anybody else.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/18/06 at 11:45 pm

All I recall is that when I would eat in Pizza Hut, I'd always order Spaghetti and Meatballs and have some salad! My mother hated that b/c it would add on to the bill as they ate pizza. Hell, I had to have my pazghetti!

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 11:04 am

All I recall is that when I would eat in Pizza Hut, I'd always order Spaghetti and Meatballs and have some salad! My mother hated that b/c it would add on to the bill as they ate pizza. Hell, I had to have my pazghetti!

They should've had a Spaghetti Pizza - like Pizza with spaghetti or pasta on it. That would be interesting.

Written By: Kryllith on 06/19/06 at 12:06 pm

Of those, I'd go with the Nintendo era (althought the Nintendo/Sega era might fit better). I used to have Pizza Hut a lot in the late 70s-early 80s, so it really doesn't seem like a 90s thing to me...

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 12:10 pm

Of those, I'd go with the Nintendo era (althought the Nintendo/Sega era might fit better). I used to have Pizza Hut a lot in the late 70s-early 80s, so it really doesn't seem like a 90s thing to me...

Yeah, Nintendo better defines the early 90s than almost anything else.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/19/06 at 12:11 pm

Yeah, I agree. Nintendo was huge in 1988-1993/'94 so it makes since to me to call it the "Nintendo Era". By 1994 the SNES popularity starting to decline dramatically due to the hype of the 3D "superconsoles" on the horizon.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 12:15 pm

Yeah, I agree. Nintendo was huge in 1988-1993/'94 so it makes since to me to call it the "Nintendo Era". By 1994 the SNES popularity starting to decline dramatically due to the hype of the 3D "superconsoles" on the horizon.

I'd date the SNES decline about 1997: the Playstation was released in 1995 (or late 1994), but it was not until the release of the N64, aimed more at the younger market, that the SNES's downfall began. I recall kids still avidly played DKC and Marion on their SNES until as late as 2000, when ROMs and Emulators flooded the net and effectively killed the 16-bit consoles for once and all. Hopefully we'll see a 'retro gaming' revival (indeed, we have seen one of sorts with the new 'RetroGamer' magazines) in the near future.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/19/06 at 12:22 pm

I'd date the SNES decline about 1997: the Playstation was released in 1995 (or late 1994), but it was not until the release of the N64, aimed more at the younger market, that the SNES's downfall began. I recall kids still avidly played DKC and Marion on their SNES until as late as 2000, when ROMs and Emulators flooded the net and effectively killed the 16-bit consoles for once and all. Hopefully we'll see a 'retro gaming' revival (indeed, we have seen one of sorts with the new 'RetroGamer' magazines) in the near future.

I was still playing and buying games for my SNES in 1998. I got my N64 later that year. I do think that the video game industry as a whole started to turn away from 16-bit games sometime in late 1994 though as the hype for the PS1 and Sega Saturn started to build even though 16-bit consoles were certainly still popular into the late '90s.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 12:26 pm

I was still playing and buying games for my SNES in 1998. I got my N64 later that year. I do thing that the video game industry as a whole started to turn away from 16-bit game sometime in late 1994 though as the hype for the PS1 and Sega Saturn started to build even though 16-bit consoles were certainly still popular into the late '90s.

3D consoles really began taking the lions share of the market about the time of the Nintendo 64's US release in late 1996, and here about March 1997. Such 'semi-3D' games like Abe's Odyssey (really a 2D platformer), Crash Bandicoot and Yoshi's Story on the N64 came out around then. Donkey Kong Country 3 was the last great 2D platformer - I remember buying it in October 1997 when I bought Super Mario Kart and Super Mario 64, so as you say, the market for SNES/Megadrive.etc games lasted until the turn of the millenium. I think the very last death knell for the SNES occured around very late 1998 or even 1999.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/19/06 at 12:29 pm

3D consoles really began taking the lions share of the market about the time of the Nintendo 64's US release in late 1996, and here about March 1997. Such 'semi-3D' games like Abe's Odyssey (really a 2D platformer), Crash Bandicoot and Yoshi's Story on the N64 came out around then. Donkey Kong Country 3 was the last great 2D platformer - I remember buying it in October 1997 when I bought Super Mario Kart and Super Mario 64, so as you say, the market for SNES/Megadrive.etc games lasted until the turn of the millenium. I think the very last death knell for the SNES occured around very late 1998 or even 1999.

Yeah, it usually takes about a year or so for next-gen consoles to start to outsell last-gen. I think the SNES didn't actually "die" until about 1999. The crazy thing is in Japan the NES didn't die until 2003. :o

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 12:33 pm

Yeah, it usually takes about a year or so for next-gen consoles to start to outsell last-gen. I think the SNES didn't actually "die" until about 1999. The crazy thing is in Japan the NES didn't die until 2003. :o

Yeah I know, I read about it. Japan has so many weird mods and add-ons - it's just crazy. I think the 'eras' of the various Nintendo consoles would be:

NES (released 1985-1993?)
Super Nintendo (1991-1998)
Nintendo 64 (1996/97 - 2003)
Gamecube - (2001 - 2005), although it's popularity really rested on a few franchises like the Smash Bros.

Not too sure about the portable consoles. I had a Gameboy pocket about 1996 or so.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/19/06 at 12:37 pm

Yeah I know, I read about it. Japan has so many weird mods and add-ons - it's just crazy. I think the 'eras' of the various Nintendo consoles would be:

NES (released 1985-1993?)
Super Nintendo (1991-1998)
Nintendo 64 (1996/97 - 2003)
Gamecube - (2001 - 2005), although it's popularity really rested on a few franchises like the Smash Bros.

Not too sure about the portable consoles. I had a Gameboy pocket about 1996 or so.

Yeah, that sounds about right. For the original Game Boy I'd say about 1989-1994/'95. The Gameboy Color was pretty popular from about 1998-2001 and the GBAdvance/SP from about 2002-2005. Right now the DS is the system to have.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/19/06 at 12:39 pm

I never ate Pizza Hut or played Nintendo/Sega, LOL. Though, apparently, I've been told I loved Domino's Pizza as a baby in 1990 and 1991.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 12:40 pm

I never ate Pizza Hut or played Nintendo/Sega, LOL. Though, apparently, I've been told I loved Domino's Pizza as a baby in 1990 and 1991.

Yeah, you're probably a health conscious late Gen-Yer, or a preppie who doesn't eat takeaway crap like Pizza Hut or Dominoes.  ;)

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/19/06 at 12:42 pm

Yeah, you're probably a health conscious late Gen-Yer, or a preppie who doesn't eat takeaway crap like Pizza Hut or Dominoes.  ;)

I eat Pizza Hut nowadays...we don't really have them where I am, though. I'm vegetarian but not all that health conscious, I mostly just don't like the taste of meat...though McDonald's and such makes me throw up. Also, I prefer to eat my crap from non-chain restaurants, I just trust them more.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 12:45 pm

I eat Pizza Hut nowadays...we don't really have them where I am, though. I'm vegetarian but not all that health conscious, I mostly just don't like the taste of meat...though McDonald's and such makes me throw up. Also, I prefer to eat my crap from non-chain restaurants, I just trust them more.

lol...not all Italian restaurants serve good Pizza, you have to try around a bit. What's your favourite Pizza, btw? I like a good Napolitana myself...

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/19/06 at 12:46 pm

lol...not all Italian restaurants serve good Pizza, you have to try around a bit. What's your favourite Pizza, btw? I like a good Napolitana myself...

Greek or Florentine. Greek and Florentine are also my favorite omelettes.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 12:50 pm

Greek or Florentine. Greek and Florentine are also my favorite omelettes.

Yeah, they must have a mind-boggling range of pizzas over there - probably even more extensive than Italy itself. I'd love to live near a place which literally does not sleep. Round here everything's pretty much shut before the sun goes down.  >:(

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/19/06 at 11:18 pm

They should've had a Spaghetti Pizza - like Pizza with spaghetti or pasta on it. That would be interesting.

That would've been interesting. Could you imagine the carb count on it though? lol

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 11:26 pm

That would've been interesting. Could you imagine the carb count on it though? lol

lol...it would be through the roof, I think. What about a pizza base made out of pasta dough instead of pizza bread dough?  :D

Written By: JDeeOfV on 06/20/06 at 12:42 pm

I cast my Vote for the Nintega Era as the coined term.

Written By: Kryllith on 06/20/06 at 2:30 pm

There's a restaurant around D.C. called Generous Georges which serves Italian food including pizza. Thing is, if you're getting spaghetti or linguini and clams or whatever variation of pasta you order, they serve it to you on a Boboli style crust. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...