inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were Beavis and Butthead retarded?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/18/06 at 5:29 am

They are either retarded or handi-capped in some other way...

Subject: Re: Were Beavis and Butthead retarded?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/18/06 at 11:54 am

Butt-head was stupid. Beavis was mentally ill.
:D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/18/06 at 12:52 pm

Butt-head was stupid. Beavis was mentally ill.
:D

I agree. They suffered from the lack of parental influence.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/18/06 at 12:59 pm

I agree. They suffered from the lack of parental influence.

That's one of the things I liked about the show, there were no parents in sight. There are kids like that everywhere. The parents are divorced, dad's not around, mom works three jobs. Sometimes the problem is lack of good intentions. The kids are between foster care, the parents are into drugs, or in trouble with the law, and such. I definitely knew kids like Beavis and Butt-head!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/18/06 at 1:03 pm

That's one of the things I liked about the show, there were no parents in sight. There are kids like that everywhere. The parents are divorced, dad's not around, mom works three jobs. Sometimes the problem is lack of good intentions. The kids are between foster care, the parents are into drugs, or in trouble with the law, and such. I definitely knew kids like Beavis and Butt-head!

hahaha I knew them too! They were survivors though.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/18/06 at 2:34 pm

In my town (see my "The Worst Party Ever") thread, the rich kids' parents are busy going off to New York City and reliving their glory days as '80s yuppies by getting drunk and snorting coke, or doing "great weed." Meanwhile, the kids themselves are getting drunk/high off their ass.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/18/06 at 6:05 pm

In my town (see my "The Worst Party Ever") thread, the rich kids' parents are busy going off to New York City and reliving their glory days as '80s yuppies by getting drunk and snorting coke, or doing "great weed." Meanwhile, the kids themselves are getting drunk/high off their ass.

What always used to happen with those house parties/keg parties in my town was some dipsh*t would block the neighbor's driveway with his car, the neighbor would call the pigs, and the pigs would come down and bust everybody for underaged drinking!
::)

Beavis & Butt-head, on the other hand, resembled several pairs of boys I knew growing up. You see them in any town. Both are so stupid, obnoxious, and immature that nobody else wanted anything to do with them. I saw the phenomenon sevaral stimes, including college-aged Beavis-and-Butt-heads!

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/18/06 at 6:15 pm

What always used to happen with those house parties/keg parties in my town was some dipsh*t would block the neighbor's driveway with his car, the neighbor would call the pigs, and the pigs would come down and bust everybody for underaged drinking!
::)

Beavis & Butt-head, on the other hand, resembled several pairs of boys I knew growing up. You see them in any town. Both are so stupid, obnoxious, and immature that nobody else wanted anything to do with them. I saw the phenomenon sevaral stimes, including college-aged Beavis-and-Butt-heads!

There are alot of people like Beavis and Butthead in the world.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/18/06 at 10:37 pm

Yeah, I guess Beavis and Butthead are pretty extreme caricatures. Though I must say I didn't really know anything in High School (with an IQ above 75) who acted like them.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/06 at 7:33 am

If you take the movie as canon, remember when they're walking in the desert and Butthead has his life flashback (him and Beavis on the couch from babies to their then current age of 15 or so, always going "Huh huh huhhuh")? ;D Their dads were loser, ex-Motley Crue roadies, so it's a good chance they live with one of their moms who is just never around (in the show, Butthead does make a few remarks about Beavis' mom being a "slut" too).

Really though, they were just slow and (hilariously) flawed in thinking, but not retarded. ;)

It's a little inconsistant, sometimes the series made them out to be total morons (i.e. the episode where they're held back grade by grade and end up in Kindergarden), yet other times, they had insightful (by their standards!) things to say -- i.e. commenting on music videos.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/06 at 7:41 am

Yeah, I've met a few that wouldn't be too far behind them in intelligence. That's actually what makes the show funniest to me (the best humor is usually rooted in truth). It was just taking the template for your typical, slacker/loser 14/15 year olds circa 1993 and totally exaggerating on that.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/21/06 at 1:07 pm

Trimac, how can you be a '90s fan, and not love Beavis and Butt-head?  ;)

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/21/06 at 1:09 pm

Trimac, how can you be a '90s fan, and not love Beavis and Butt-head?  ;)

I never said I didn't love it...well, I can appreciated it on one level, but on another I just find it classic of the stupidity of the 90s  :P :P :P (which was not altogether bad, as I've said). But come on, they were pretty annoying, retarded or not...

Written By: La Roche on 06/21/06 at 1:40 pm

I've often felt a strong relationship to Beavis and Butthead.

Facing many of the desicions they did and often taking the path they took has shaped me in to a model citizen.. huh huh.. he... huh huh, he said anus.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/21/06 at 2:24 pm

I never said I didn't love it...well, I can appreciated it on one level, but on another I just find it classic of the stupidity of the 90s  :P :P :P (which was not altogether bad, as I've said). But come on, they were pretty annoying, retarded or not...

They are annoying, that's why they're so funny!

Written By: barefootrobin on 06/21/06 at 3:23 pm

I laughed out loud when I read this topic.

Check for new replies or respond here...