inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Hit Song from Beginning/Middle/End of the '90s

Written By: WalkerP20 on 06/19/06 at 2:22 pm

What I mean is, your Favorite Hit Song's from January 1990 (Beginning of the 90s), January 1995 (Middle of the 90s), and December 1999 (Very End of the 90s)

It's also a good way to see the evolution of music through the '90s and see how much hit music had changed from begiining to Middle to End of the Decade.

Anyway, here's a list of all the songs that were popular hits at the time of each period.  Pick your favorite from each group (My favorites are highlighted in Red)

January 1990

"Rhythm Nation" - Janet Jackson
"Electric Boogie (The Electric Slide)" - Marcia Griffiths
"Free Fallin'" - Tom Petty
"Pump Up The Jam" - Technotronic
"Janie's Got A Gun" - Aerosmith
"Opposites Attract" - Paula Abdul
"Back To Life" - Soul II Soul
"Love Shack" - The B52's
"Roam" - The B52's
"How Am I Supposed To Live Without You" - Michael Bolton
"Another Day In Paradise" - Phil Collins
"Escapade" - Janet Jackson
"Everything" - Jody Watley
"Downtown Train" - Rod Stewart
"Personal Jesus" - Depeche Mode
"Two To Make It Right" - Seduction
"Love Song" - Tesla
"Just A Friend" - Biz Markie
"No More Lies" - Michel'le
"No Myth" - Michael Penn

January 1995

"Creep" - TLC
"Another Night" - Real McCoy
"Here Comes The Hotstepper" - Ini Kamoze
"You Gotta Be" - Des'ree
"On Bended Knee" - Boyz II Men
"When I Come Around" - Green Day
"Zombie" - The Cranberries
"Buddy Holly" - Weezer
"I Alone" - Live
"I'm The Only One" - Melissa Etheridge
"Hold My Hand" - Hootie & The Blowfish
"Get Ready For This" - 2 Unlimited
"Sukiyaki" - 4 pm
"Everyday Of The Week" - Jade
"Rhythm Of The Night" - Corona
"Secret" - Madonna
"Candy Rain" - Soul For Real
"If You Love Me" - Brownstone

December 1999

"Waiting For Tonight" - Jennifer Lopez
"Will 2K" - Will Smith
"Steal My Sunshine" - Len
"I Knew I Loved You" - Savage Garden
"All The Small Things" - Blink 182
"Smooth" - Santana & Rob Thomas
"Unpretty" - TLC
"Blue" - Eiffel 65
"Heartbreaker" - Mariah Carey
"Meet Virginia" - Train
"Mambo #5" - Lou Bega
"That's The Way It Is" - Celine Dion
"Rockafeller Skank" - Fatboy Slim
"What A Girl Wants" - Christina Aguilera
"Learn To Fly" - Foo Fighters
"Higher" - Creed
"Guerilla Radio" - Rage Against The Machine
"The Dolphin's Cry" - Live
"The Chemicals Between Us" - Bush
"Back At One" - Brian McKnight

Subject: Re: Favorite Hit Song from Beginning/Middle/End of the '90s

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/19/06 at 3:44 pm

January 1990 -

No Myth - Michael Penn
Back to Life - Soul II Soul
Free Fallin - Tom Petty

January 1995 -

If You Love Me - Brownstone
Creep - TLC
When I Come Around - Green Day
Buddy Holly - Weezer

December 1999

The Dolphin's Cry - Live
Smooth - Santana
Mambo #5 - Lou Bega

Written By: whistledog on 06/19/06 at 11:30 pm

January 1990

"Rhythm Nation" - Janet Jackson
"Electric Boogie (The Electric Slide)" - Marcia Griffiths
"Free Fallin'" - Tom Petty
"Pump Up The Jam" - Technotronic
"Janie's Got A Gun" - Aerosmith
"Opposites Attract" - Paula Abdul
"Back To Life" - Soul II Soul
"Love Shack" - The B52's
"Roam" - The B52's
"How Am I Supposed To Live Without You" - Michael Bolton
"Another Day In Paradise" - Phil Collins
"Escapade" - Janet Jackson
"Everything" - Jody Watley
"Downtown Train" - Rod Stewart
"Personal Jesus" - Depeche Mode
"Two To Make It Right" - Seduction
"Love Song" - Tesla
"Just A Friend" - Biz Markie
"No More Lies" - Michel'le
"No Myth" - Michael Penn

But many of those are 80s songs ???

Written By: WalkerP20 on 06/20/06 at 8:44 am

But many of those are 80s songs ???

Uhh, yeah, Duh.  Most of the songs that were popular in January 1990 were hangover songs from November/December 1989.

Some of those songs first got onto the charts in the Late '80s, but didn't peak until around January/February 1990

Written By: whistledog on 06/20/06 at 10:20 am

Uhh, yeah, Duh.  Most of the songs that were popular in January 1990 were hangover songs from November/December 1989.

Some of those songs first got onto the charts in the Late '80s, but didn't peak until around January/February 1990

Yes, but some of those in your post peaked in the 80s

Written By: WalkerP20 on 06/20/06 at 10:25 am

Yes, but some of those in your post peaked in the 80s

They were still getting alot of Airplay in January 1990 (In America), and that's the point

Written By: whistledog on 06/20/06 at 10:39 am

They were still getting alot of Airplay in January 1990 (In America), and that's the point

Just cause it gets airplay in 1990 does not make it a 90s song

Otherwise every song I hear on classic radio stations is a 2006 hit  ::)

Written By: WalkerP20 on 06/20/06 at 10:49 am

Just cause it gets airplay in 1990 does not make it a 90s song

Otherwise every song I hear on classic radio stations is a 2006 hit  ::)

No, "Classic" Radio Stations are meant to play Classic songs, not 2006 songs.  That's common sense.

And songs that were getting the most airplay in January 1990 were mostly holdover songs from December 1989.  What part of this don't you understand?  Thi is my topic and I specifically made the point of songs that were most "popular" in January 1990.  That doesn't mean, which songs were first released in January 1990, that's irrelevant, because those songs weren't getting airplay at all in January 1990

You can't sit here and argue with me on this, because the point i'm making is accurate.  I see where you're coming from, but it doesn't apply to this topic because it's about which songs were the most popular at the time

Listen to songs getting the most airplay today in June 2006 on Top 40 radio stations.  The majority of those songs were first released like 3 or 4 months ago

Oi Vey... ;D

Written By: whistledog on 06/20/06 at 10:52 am

You can't sit here and argue with me on this, because the point i'm making is accurate

Oh, but I can.  See, a song is at it's most popular when it peaks, so because several of those peaked in 1989, that is when they were most popular.  In the early 90s, those songs dropped down the charts, which means they faded in popularity

Written By: WalkerP20 on 06/20/06 at 11:08 am

Oh, but I can.  See, a song is at it's most popular when it peaks, so because several of those peaked in 1989, that is when they were most popular.  In the early 90s, those songs dropped down the charts, which means they faded in popularity

The songs that I listed, I specifically got from the Billboard charts.  I took a look at each song that was a hit during January 1990 and I put them here.  Don't blame me

The funny thing is, I added pretty much each song that peaked in January 1990, but also threw in a few that had peaked in either December 1989 or February 1990, but were within the Top 10 or 15 on the Billboard Hot 100 in January 1990.  So either way, i'm correct.  I listed the songs that peaked in January 1990, so this discussion is pretty much unnecessary

This is such a stupid argument, lol.  You guys are a little too uptight about stuff on here.  Just answer the question to the topic if you want and leave, don't argue about whether or not it's accurate when it's something i'm specifically talking about

This would be like me making a topic about how I love a certain song, and then someone else comes in to say that I don't because it's not their best song. lol, I made specific rules with my original post, and it was which songs were most popular in January 1990, not which songs were released in January 1990  ;)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/20/06 at 1:23 pm

The songs that I listed, I specifically got from the Billboard charts.  I took a look at each song that was a hit during January 1990 and I put them here.  Don't blame me

The funny thing is, I added pretty much each song that peaked in January 1990, but also threw in a few that had peaked in either December 1989 or February 1990, but were within the Top 10 or 15 on the Billboard Hot 100 in January 1990.  So either way, i'm correct.  I listed the songs that peaked in January 1990, so this discussion is pretty much unnecessary

This is such a stupid argument, lol.  You guys are a little too uptight about stuff on here.  Just answer the question to the topic if you want and leave, don't argue about whether or not it's accurate when it's something i'm specifically talking about

This would be like me making a topic about how I love a certain song, and then someone else comes in to say that I don't because it's not their best song. lol, I made specific rules with my original post, and it was which songs were most popular in January 1990, not which songs were released in January 1990  ;)

Walker, is your birthday on 5-19-1986?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/20/06 at 1:30 pm

Good point..

Written By: WalkerP20 on 06/20/06 at 3:38 pm

Walker, is your birthday on 5-19-1986?

That was pretty Random  ???

My birthday is November 23rd, 1982

Good point..

It's not a good point for this topic, because I specifically made the point of songs that were getting the most Airplay in January 1990.  Is it really that hard to understand? I don't think it is

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/20/06 at 4:21 pm

Interesting...

It's not a good point for this topic, because I specifically made the point of songs that were getting the most Airplay in January 1990.  Is it really that hard to understand? I don't think it is

I still think it's a good point.. whether you disagree with that or not, that's your own problem.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/20/06 at 4:25 pm

What about November 19, 1986?

Written By: WalkerP20 on 06/20/06 at 7:19 pm

Interesting...
I still think it's a good point.. whether you disagree with that or not, that's your own problem.

What really was there to agree with? Obviously songs will fade away occasionally a month or two after they peaked, but not the songs I mentioned.  I already stated that I got my info from the Billboard charts and the songs I listed were atleast in the Top 10 or 15 on the Billboard Hot 100 during January 1990.  I don't know why, but it seems as if you're intentionally disagreeing with me to try and irk me someway  ??? What did I do?

What about November 19, 1986?

What about November 19th, 1986?  Are you asking if that is when I was born?  because i've already told you that my date of birth was November 23rd, 1982.  6:19 am to be even more specific  ;D

I've had a pretty good view on the '90s from a whole. So if you guys are trying to insinuate that i'm younger and I don't know what i'm talking about when talking about the 90s, well you are wrong

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/20/06 at 8:08 pm

Early 90s: Outshined - Soundgarden
Mid 90s: World I Know - Collective Soul
Late 90s: Take A Picture - Filter

Check for new replies or respond here...