inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Goosebumps

Written By: Ebontyne on 06/21/06 at 12:07 pm

I imagine people around my age remember these books by R. L. Stine? I think I only read one of them when I was in Grade 4 or 5 - I know it was about a mummy, though I don't recall being especially impressed or unimpressed with it. Regardless, the series was extremely popular and well-known; I remember the shelves at my school library stacked with Goosebumps books. All in all, there were sixty-two titles in the series published between 1992 and 1997, spanning the time that I was in Grade 3 to when I just started high school.

There was even a television spin-off series of the same name that ran from 1995 to 1998 - I watched it on occasion when I was bored, but never particularly enjoyed it. Actually, I remember it quite well because one of the episodes randomly triggered the OCD-like symptoms that I used to suffer from at the time... Come to think of it, I rather dislike Goosebumps. :P

Subject: Re: Goosebumps

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/21/06 at 12:51 pm

I imagine people around my age remember these books by R. L. Stine? I think I only read one of them when I was in Grade 4 or 5 - I know it was about a mummy, though I don't recall being especially impressed or unimpressed with it. Regardless, the series was extremely popular and well-known; I remember the shelves at my school library stacked with Goosebumps books. All in all, there were sixty-two titles in the series published between 1992 and 1997, spanning the time that I was in Grade 3 to when I just started high school.

There was even a television spin-off series of the same name that ran from 1995 to 1998 - I watched it on occasion when I was bored, but never particularly enjoyed it. Actually, I remember it quite well because one of the episodes randomly triggered the OCD-like symptoms that I used to suffer from at the time... Come to think of it, I rather dislike Goosebumps. :P

You're talking to an avid ex-Goosebumps reader here  ;). I recall the series from about 1995 or 1994, and remember how it was heralded as the Saviour of reading for kids. R.L. Stine could tell stories so convincingly, and frighteningly - though they weren't really 'scare you out of your wits' sort of horror novelettes, but more novelty horror. I read at least half the whole series (the obsession was collecting them as much as reading them, lol). The 90s seemed to have many large series' of 'collector books' like Goosebumps, Babysitter's Club.etc. Ah, how I long for those days...

Written By: Ebontyne on 06/21/06 at 2:07 pm

You're talking to an avid ex-Goosebumps reader here  ;). I recall the series from about 1995 or 1994, and remember how it was heralded as the Saviour of reading for kids. R.L. Stine could tell stories so convincingly, and frighteningly - though they weren't really 'scare you out of your wits' sort of horror novelettes, but more novelty horror. I read at least half the whole series (the obsession was collecting them as much as reading them, lol). The 90s seemed to have many large series' of 'collector books' like Goosebumps, Babysitter's Club.etc. Ah, how I long for those days...

Cool. Maybe you know the specific one I read. Mummy.... Curse... Ancient Egypt. I know that's not a lot to go on. ;)

Do you remember a book series that featured a vampire rabbit?

Written By: audkal on 06/21/06 at 11:26 pm

You're probably thinking of "Bunnicula"(?)

http://www.alendalux.com/wordpress/wp-content/bunnicula.jpg

I didn't read any of the Goosebumps books back in the day but I did LOVE the show.  My bros read a few though and I remember how popular they were then.  It's kind of funny this topic came up because today at my library they had a bunch of GB books for sale, I bought the one about the killer sponge (LOL!) for 25 cents....and I think I'll start reading it soon.

Written By: Ebontyne on 06/22/06 at 11:23 am

^ That's definitely the one I was thinking of, thank you. Bunnicula... Never read it, but I always saw its cover in the library. I remember the dog and cat too - I must have at least cracked the book open and read parts, because I seem to know that the animals narrate the story.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/22/06 at 11:35 am

Cool. Maybe you know the specific one I read. Mummy.... Curse... Ancient Egypt. I know that's not a lot to go on. ;)

Oh yeah...of course, I believe there were nearly 40 in the series, and of those I read about a dozen or so (I know, it's pitiful). I actually only bought one - Revenge of the Garden Gnomes, but some of the ones I remember include the 'Chucky' ones, the Mummy Ones, one on Giant Bees, and a few others.

Written By: Classie83 on 06/23/06 at 7:24 pm

Yeah, I used to love reading goosebumps in 5th and 6th grade. I remember seeing the one with the green hand mostly. The tv series was a tad bit too corny for me...the live action and the cartoon.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/24/06 at 7:58 pm

Yeah, I owned about the first 50 or so books. Back then the more you owned the cooler you were considered.

Written By: star500 on 06/25/06 at 11:22 am

I used to love those books, I started reading them when I was about 9 years old. Now I am an avid book reader. I had almost all of the original series, plus a few of the special books they had out. I also used to watch the TV show, I even had one of the shows on video. I think it was the Haunted Mask show. :) From the Goosebumps books, I graduated to Fear Street and the rest, as they say, is history. ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...