inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 90s - a Dark Decade?

Written By: Derek06 on 06/22/06 at 1:07 am

Is it just me, or did clothing, on-air network design, design in houses, etc seem "dark" to anybody in the 90s?  I'm talking about gloomy, but darker shades of different colors.  Especially the early 90s, I think of a dark blue - purple color when I think of that era.  Even when fashion  seemed to "brighten up" in the mid-90s, it still seemed dark and average compared to today's vibrant stuff.  IMO, Even alot of the music had that dark undertone - if you really want to get that into it. 

Anyone else agree?

Subject: Re: The 90s - a Dark Decade?

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/22/06 at 6:22 am

The '90s were a very dark decade, and the aesthetic of them was subdued sloppiness, one which I sort of love.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/22/06 at 11:37 am

The '90s were a very dark decade, and the aesthetic of them was subdued sloppiness, one which I sort of love.

Maybe the late 90s, but the early 90s (excepting Grunge/Goth-metal/Avant-garde/Fringe type fashions) was bright and gaudy like the 80s. Late 90s had that dark, 'urban', suave, sleek look.

Written By: chaka on 06/22/06 at 11:42 am

Maybe the late 90s, but the early 90s (excepting Grunge/Goth-metal/Avant-garde/Fringe type fashions) was bright and gaudy like the 80s. Late 90s had that dark, 'urban', suave, sleek look.

yeah that's true but the music i.e "grunge" was dark.Or at least quite alot of it was.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/22/06 at 11:47 am

yeah that's true but the music i.e "grunge" was dark.Or at least quite alot of it was.

Yeah, dark, depressing (i.e. 'emo' lol) music was in the in thing. As Homer Simpson said of the Smashing Pumpkins when they visited Springfield, 'Thanks to your dark, depressing music, my kids have lost all ambition in life.' or something to that effect

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/22/06 at 3:53 pm

The charts were quite poppy and hip hop-ish in the early '90s, and of course very popish in the late '90s. Fashion was very bright in the early '90s. The mid '90s were a bit darker however.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/22/06 at 4:02 pm

The charts were quite poppy and hip hop-ish in the early '90s, and of course very popish in the late '90s. Fashion was very bright in the early '90s. The mid '90s were a bit darker however.

Yeah, early 90s fashion was just updated 80s fashion in most ways, aside from the whole Hip Hop fashion thing which was associated with Basketball.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/22/06 at 4:05 pm

grunge was only a small part of '90s music. Hip hop was more mainstream than grunge was if you look at the hot 100.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/22/06 at 4:06 pm

grunge was only a small part of '90s music. Hip hop was more mainstream than grunge was if you look at the hot 100.

Yeah, Grunge's popularity was actually restricted to a few well known groups - e.g. Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Pearl Jam, Nirvana.etc. Indeed, Grunge, like 70s punk, had a huge influence on music in general, but did not litter the charts as did rather inconsequential late 90s teen pop.

Written By: chaka on 06/22/06 at 4:25 pm

Yeah, Grunge's popularity was actually restricted to a few well known groups - e.g. Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Pearl Jam, Nirvana.etc. Indeed, Grunge, like 70s punk, had a huge influence on music in general, but did not litter the charts as did rather inconsequential late 90s teen pop.

Actually,maybe that's a good thing.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/22/06 at 4:26 pm

Alternative rock will never do well on the pop charts so because it isn't something that appeals to as much people as pop and hip hop do I guess.

Written By: chaka on 06/22/06 at 4:31 pm

Alternative rock will never do well on the pop charts so because it isn't something that appeals to as much people as pop and hip hop do I guess.

Except when it becomes "in" to be alternative.
Anyway,these days it's pretty hard to define "alternative" because alternative has become mainstream in some way.

Written By: robby76 on 06/24/06 at 11:59 pm

Ah-ha!!! I think we've found why I have an aversion to the mid-90s.

70s were yellow
80s were aquamarine/pink
90s were black
00s are brown/orange

:D

Check for new replies or respond here...