inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did anyone else watch VH1 in the early '90s?

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/23/06 at 6:38 am

Believe it or not, VH1 used to be an AC channel with radio station-like airplay (mostly softer pop with some classic rock) and some other programming (i.e. documentaries, looks at movies, standup comedy). When I was around 10, I watched it tons, from late 1990-'93 or so. It had that clear, see-through boxy logo.

Since it's a few years pre-Internet, there isn't a whole lot of info on shows and programming from this era online. Kinda makes it more "mysterious"/cool to see now. ;)

Subject: Re: Did anyone else watch VH1 in the early '90s?

Written By: Bobby on 06/23/06 at 6:49 am

Unfortunately, I only got VH1 from around 1999 when I was introduced to Cable for the first time.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/23/06 at 12:35 pm

I watch it now!  ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/24/06 at 1:14 pm

Yeah, I watched.

Written By: whistledog on 06/24/06 at 1:54 pm

I don't get (nor have I ever got) Vh-1  :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/06 at 2:05 pm

Back then we only had MTV and something else called The Box (for phone in videos).

Written By: whistledog on 06/24/06 at 6:34 pm

Back then we only had MTV and something else called The Box (for phone in videos).

Does MTV Europe play music videos?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/24/06 at 8:00 pm

I watch it now!  ;D

I watch it sometimes. Even though most of the reality shows on there are crap.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/24/06 at 8:44 pm

hahaha I called into the Box many times, much to my mom's dismay.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/24/06 at 8:56 pm

hahaha I called into the Box many times, much to my mom's dismay.

That's funny, I had my mom call into VH1 to request videos for me alot back then. I even recall voting for Huey Lewis' "He Don't Know" video to get into the Top 20 Countdown (it didn't win - George Michael and Elton John's duet/remake of "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" won by, like 70%. ;D But it was worth a shot, lol).

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/24/06 at 8:57 pm

That's funny, I had my mom call into VH1 to request videos for me alot back then. I even recall voting for Huey Lewis' "He Don't Know" video to get into the Top 20 Countdown (it didn't win - George Michael and Elton John's duet/remake of "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" won by, like 70%. ;D But it was worth a shot, lol).

lol. I stopped using the box around 1991. I didn't want any more drama with my mother and I clearly got sick of paying for it from my paycheck.

Written By: whistledog on 06/24/06 at 8:58 pm

At Much Music, the channel here in Canada, they had an all-request weekend once, so I e-mailed my request for New Order's "Bizarre Love Triangle".  It got through and the then VJ Bill Welychka said my name on the air  8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/24/06 at 9:07 pm

lol. I stopped using the box around 1991. I didn't want any more drama with my mother and I clearly got sick of paying for it from my paycheck.

Did she (at the time) not like your song choices, or just got tired of calling in all the time? ;)

I guess it helps if they're into it as well. While I probably watched videos/programming more often, my parents did like VH1 a bit. They even got me into Gallagher (who used to have his specials aired at the time), who's one of my favorite standups.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/24/06 at 9:45 pm

In a way, yes. Of course I'm too young to remember, but when I was a baby in 1990 and 1991, according to my mom, we watched alot of VH1 and MTV music videos, since she was a stay-at-home mother for awhile.

Written By: 1993 on 06/24/06 at 9:55 pm

Early 90's VH1 played music pretty much non stop. It was mostly lighter, pop stuff. Chris Isaak (with him writhing on the beach with a supermodel) Wicked Game as a huge video. Divinyls, Love Shack, Michael Bolton, Rod Stewart, stuff like that.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/24/06 at 10:27 pm

Early 90's VH1 played music pretty much non stop. It was mostly lighter, pop stuff. Chris Isaak (with him writhing on the beach with a supermodel) Wicked Game as a huge video. Divinyls, Love Shack, Michael Bolton, Rod Stewart, stuff like that.

Yep, I remember tons of Rod Stewart. ;) I think the heaviest stuff was probably ZZ Top, or Van Halen's "Jump", lol - which was cool with me, I'm usually not too into metal (other than hair metal and power ballads).

When did it start changing? I stopped watching about midway through 1993 (I got busier with life, plus probably a burnout over the then-previous 2 1/2 years of doing it nonstop ;D ) and, by the time '98 rolled around, it was like a different world (although stil more musically-oriented than it is today).

Some shows I remember from 1990-93:
-VH1 to One (interviews/close looks at an artist or event)
-Soul of VH1
-Flix
-Standup Spotlight
-Video Rewind '80s blocks
-My Generation w/Peter Noone (older '60s and 70s stuff
-individual artist devoted programming (i.e. Phil Collins day)

How much past 1993 did any of this survive?

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/24/06 at 10:35 pm

I meanwhile, have very fond memories of VH1 in 1998 and 1999. I loved Behind the Music and their music video countdowns back then.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/24/06 at 10:42 pm

I meanwhile, have very fond memories of VH1 in 1998 and 1999. I loved Behind the Music and their music video countdowns back then.

Yeah, I miss Behind the Music. :( (Sure it's still on, but only the sporadic new episodes. The old ones aren't reran much, if at all - there's still some I wanted to tape, but never got around to.)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/06 at 1:23 am

Does MTV Europe play music videos?
These modern days, you hardly ever see a pop video on MTV

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/25/06 at 1:37 am

Did she (at the time) not like your song choices, or just got tired of calling in all the time? ;)

I guess it helps if they're into it as well. While I probably watched videos/programming more often, my parents did like VH1 a bit. They even got me into Gallagher (who used to have his specials aired at the time), who's one of my favorite standups.

It wasn't the music at all, lol, my parents were accustomed to my "varied" song choices. It was the price of the calls, which I think were between 1.99 and 2.99 something like that. Plus, you had additional tolls. So it was the $$.

Written By: David Sari on 06/25/06 at 8:37 pm

History of Music Video A to Z and The Big 80s  :D

Written By: WalkerP20 on 06/26/06 at 5:33 pm

How can anyone forget "Pop-Up Video"  8)

First aired in 1996 and ended in 2002.  This was arguably their best show, doing little bubble commentaries on music videos

Written By: zcrito on 06/26/06 at 11:32 pm

VH1 (and BET) in the '80s and early '90s was a good alternative to MTV.
(well at least since 1986, which is basically when I stopped watching MTV...)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/27/06 at 12:31 pm

I was heavy into MTV in the early '90s. I started watching more VH1 circa 1995 because that's when MTV was starting to turn me off. PLus, VH1 catered a lot to my Beatles obsession, since they played their new singles on there every couple hours.

Check for new replies or respond here...