inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Madonna's "Bad Girl"

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/24/06 at 10:38 pm

Is anybody else here surprised this song wasn't a big hit? I blame it on coming after the mediocre "Erotica" debut single off of that album. It's great lyrically, and fit into the whole "adult ballad" music genre that was big in the early '90s. It's one of her best ballads, IMO. Also, the video is one of her best: it's a minimovie featuring Christopher Walken with a film noir/gritty/elegant look to it, like the 1930s or 1940s, and footage of London. It's very "of it's time" (1992-1993) without being overbearingly of it, and I think this could've been huge if it weren't for the controversy over the "Sex" book.

Subject: Re: Madonna's "Bad Girl"

Written By: robby76 on 06/24/06 at 11:45 pm

Erotica is quite a good forgotten Madonna album. I thought all the hits from there were great. I bought Erotica the single and later the album. The follow-up single was "Deeper and Deeper" not "Bad Gril", which might explain the gradual chart position decline. By the time she released Bad Girl as the 3rd single, I'd imagine everyone already having the album. "Rain" was probably better marketed.

"Bad Girl" got to #10 in the UK charts which is decent enough.

Written By: whistledog on 06/24/06 at 11:50 pm

"Bad Girl" reached #5 in Canada, which ironically was the highest placing for it in any country

Written By: Marilyn Hanson on 06/25/06 at 12:13 am

Esther was a caricature of herself in the 1990's and a joke now  ::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/25/06 at 1:44 am

Esther was a caricature of herself in the 1990's and a joke now  ::)

That's nice, but not what the thread is about.

On topic, I love that song......as I do other songs from Erotica like Rain and Deeper and Deeper.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/06 at 1:45 am

Any record that gets into the charts is a hit record and as Bad Girl attained the number 10 position it is a hit record.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/25/06 at 8:42 am

Any record that gets into the charts is a hit record and as Bad Girl attained the number 10 position it is a hit record.

Not for Madonna, though. Basically, every single she'd released had at least gotten to #3 since 1984. Even "This Used To Be My Playground" hit #1 for a week.

Written By: whistledog on 06/25/06 at 2:41 pm

Not for Madonna, though. Basically, every single she'd released had at least gotten to #3 since 1984. Even "This Used To Be My Playground" hit #1 for a week.

As long as it enters the charts, it's a hit, becuase it means that someone is buying it, therefore she makes money

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 06/26/06 at 5:07 am

I liked the video for "Bad Girl"... it was very Looking for Mr. Goodbar in tone, about a sexually addicted woman who picks up a psycho in a bar...

Check for new replies or respond here...