inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anybody remember doing this for the Gulf War

Written By: 1993 on 06/25/06 at 1:35 am

I just recently found a picture of myself from the Gulf War era, and I noticed ever single tree in the picture had this golden ribbon around it. I must've had a memory lapse because I couldn't remember what they stood for. I was thinking...."sheesh, were all these trees marked to be cut down?" :o then I suddenly realized they were a "Support the Troops" kind of thing and immediately put 2 + 2 together, along with the yellow ribbons people are now sticking on there cars. Needless to say, this "senior moment"  frightened me. ;)

does anybody remember the suburban phenomenon of tying gold ribbons around trees as a way to support the soldiers? seems like we were much more patriotic back then.

Subject: Re: Does anybody remember doing this for the Gulf War

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/25/06 at 1:41 am

Yeah, back in 1991, we wore (at my Catholic all girl hs) small yellow ribbons across our name badges. It was devastating b/c we couldn't believe that we would see a war that year.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/25/06 at 1:43 am

If you've heard the song "Tie A Yellow Ribbon 'Round The Old Oak Tree" by Tony Orlando and Dawn, you'll know that it's a sign of remembrance for someone who's not home.  Yellow ribbons became a way of saying you remember the troops and you support them.  We still tie a yellow ribbon around our tree.

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 06/25/06 at 2:52 pm

I remember it also during the gulf war and I remember is for the hotages in Iran also

Check for new replies or respond here...