inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mood of the Early vs. Mid '90s?

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/27/06 at 6:18 pm

How would you describe the mood difference between the early and mid '90s? One of the main things, I think, was the rise of rap to being mainstream almost totally (it was more urban), a greater general optimism, and a greater general optimism in rock, represented by the rise of Beck.

Subject: Re: Mood of the Early vs. Mid '90s?

Written By: Roadgeek on 06/27/06 at 6:20 pm

IMO, the early and mid '90s overlap in 1994 and early 1995 so in that era, it's sort of a mixture of both moods.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/27/06 at 10:30 pm

The decade as a whole had a sort of split personality - from bubbly disco pop, to darker, more introspective music, lifestyles like the Goth subculture and the music appelated with it. If you're talking about the mood in music, the late 90s were probably a bit brighter, and upbeat (in terms of the lyrics of late 90s stuff), but ironically, probably saw more 'dark stuff.' Whereas the early 90s was the 'middle ground.'

Written By: Ebontyne on 06/28/06 at 1:00 pm

I have a tendency to view the mid '90s as being more adult-focussed than the early '90s, but that's probably only because I was growing up during this period. For me the early '90s means:

- great cartoons
- the new SNES console system, with all new games
- the second golden age in Disney movies (started by The Little Mermaid in '89)
- good comedies (Mrs. Doubtfire, What About Bob?)
- somewhat cheesy, colourful shows like Saved By the Bell, Full House, Family Matters

There's something more pastel about it, if you know what I mean. ;) Again, just from my personal perspective...

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 06/28/06 at 5:39 pm

I remember thinking at the time, that the early 90's was a whole new thing. It felt new, but looking back, at them now, a lot of it looked very late 80's.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/28/06 at 7:58 pm

The mood of the early '90s was uncertainty for me. Pre-Gulf war and during the Gulf War, it was a little nerveracking. I remember my Dad saying that he could be drafted, but it never happened. The mid-'90s and late '90s was a time of more carefree prosperity, but also a time where people I knew were losing jobs with the goverment.

Written By: Ebontyne on 06/28/06 at 8:10 pm

^ I do remember actually watching some of the Gulf War on TV with my parents in the safety of our living room. That's one memory of the early '90s that has always kind of disturbed me...

Written By: 1993 on 06/29/06 at 1:03 am

I always felt the mid 90's were kind of flat and unispiring. Not that it was a bad time, the economy was good, we had peace, there wasn't social unrest and uncertainty like today (or the late 60's)

the mid 90's was when we first started to enter the all pervasive technology age, internet, cell phones, 24/7 news, infotainment etc. We weren't there YET but it was just the beginning. The early 90's could still be very old school. The bridge between 1991 and 1999 is much much longer than say, 1971 and 1979 in terms of society as a whole

the mid 90's to me seemed directionless and laid back. pop culture wise it was just kind of mundane.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 06/29/06 at 1:05 pm

I always felt the mid 90's were kind of flat and unispiring. Not that it was a bad time, the economy was good, we had peace, there wasn't social unrest and uncertainty like today (or the late 60's)

the mid 90's was when we first started to enter the all pervasive technology age, internet, cell phones, 24/7 news, infotainment etc. We weren't there YET but it was just the beginning. The early 90's could still be very old school. The bridge between 1991 and 1999 is much much longer than say, 1971 and 1979 in terms of society as a whole

the mid 90's to me seemed directionless and laid back. pop culture wise it was just kind of mundane.

I sort of felt that way about 1995, at the time. That year felt really flat and dull to me, for some reason. But now I like the year, lol, and would give anything to live in it again.

Written By: Roadgeek on 06/29/06 at 1:29 pm

IMO, 1994 and 1995 are easily the two best years of the '90s.

Check for new replies or respond here...