inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Sleazy/Bad Taste" Fashion in the '90s

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/27/06 at 9:00 pm

For the '00s, it's velour tracksuits and big hoop earrings. For the '90s, what was it? I think it's probably stuff like Fran Drescher wore on The Nanny, and for the later '90s, huge baggy pants and pierced ears for guys, and for girls black bare midriff shirts and an equal number of piercings.

Subject: Re: "Sleazy/Bad Taste" Fashion in the '90s

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/27/06 at 11:24 pm

The girls I knew that wore trashy clothes had one piercing in both their ears.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/28/06 at 12:06 am

The girls I knew that wore trashy clothes had one piercing in both their ears.

Hmm...tell me more about trashy clothing in the '90s.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/28/06 at 12:27 am

Hmm...tell me more about trashy clothing in the '90s.

I don't know. I think you have a standard "style" in each decade - tight jeans/pants, mini-skirts, crop tops (or any stomach baring shirt/top. For a time, tight denim short-shorts were in as well. I knew I wore them in the 90s. Hell, I still wear my denim mini-skirts!!! Did I think they were trashy? No, because I didn't consider myself trashy. I still pulled in my A's.  Attention-getting? Of course.

As for piercings? I had three in each ear. Never got my belly pierced. I was too fickle. I know that many older women assumed the more piercings you had, the trasher you were. Big deal. As I said before, I knew trashy girls with one piercing in each ear.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 06/28/06 at 11:33 am

[quoteFor a time, tight denim short-shorts were in as well.

Oh yeah, I remember in 1994-1997, they were huge with girls at school.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 06/28/06 at 5:36 pm

I also remember those denim shorts, that looked like skirts in the front, from the mid and late 90's.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/28/06 at 5:59 pm

Tattoos on weird and overly sensitive areas    :P  Tongue piercing(from one who had a pierced nose)

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/28/06 at 7:10 pm

Tattoos on weird and overly sensitive areas    :P  Tongue piercing(from one who had a pierced nose)

I remember when the tongue piercing craze hit in 1996 and 1997...damn, that was creepy. They've started to become "less trendy" among the youth, though.

Check for new replies or respond here...