inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Songs you remember on the radio as a kid (in the 90s)

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/28/06 at 10:11 am

I remember such songs as 'All I Wanna Do' by Sheryl Crow, 'Everybody Want's to Rule the World' by Tears for Fears, 'Material Girl' by Madonna, 'Whip It' by Devo, 'Waterfalls' by TLC, 'Can't Touch this' by M.C. Hammer - all about 1993-94, in the later 90s 'Torn' by Natalia Imbruglia, 'Good Riddance' by Green Day, 'Believe' by Cher and of course 'Barbie Girl' by Aqua.

Subject: Re: Songs you remember on the radio as a kid (in the 90s)

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 06/28/06 at 11:38 am

I wonder what is the most overplayed song of the 90's? Could it be "One of Us" by Joan Osborne? Or others., like "Everything I Do" by Bryan Adams, and "My Heart Will Go On", the Titanic song.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/28/06 at 11:39 am

I know I always got sick of hearing songs by, Boys II Men.

Written By: Roadgeek on 06/28/06 at 12:10 pm

I actually remember hearing some grunge on the radio.

Written By: audkal on 06/28/06 at 11:26 pm

Bone-Thugs 'n' Harmony - "Tha Crossroads" + "1st of tha Month"

Toad the Wet Sprocket - "Good Intentions"

Collective Soul - "Shine" .....I heard this first when I was in preschool ('93) and thought it was cool and I still love it.

Butthole Surfers - "Pepper"

Beck - "Loser" + "Where It's At"

Alanis Morissette - (All her singles from "Jagged Little Pill")

Voice of the Beehive - "Scary Kisses"

White Town - "Your Woman"

Dead Eye Dick - "New Age Girl"

Mr. President - "Coco Jamboo"

Dionne Farris - "I Know"

And so many more, if I could only think of them.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/28/06 at 11:39 pm

I actually remember hearing some grunge on the radio.

Yeah, I remember a hearing a little grunge in the mid '90s. I didnt really listen to the radio much until the late '90s, so for the most part teen pop is what I assosciate most with my memories of the decade http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/bigcry.gif

Written By: WalkerP20 on 06/29/06 at 12:08 am

I wonder what is the most overplayed song of the 90's? Could it be "One of Us" by Joan Osborne? Or others., like "Everything I Do" by Bryan Adams, and "My Heart Will Go On", the Titanic song.

Here is a little list of the most overplayed songs on the Radio during the 90's (in the United States)

"Iris" - Goo Goo Dolls (1998)

"Semi-Charmed Life" - Third Eye Blind (1997)

"Macarena" - Los Del Rio (1996)

"Counting Blue Cars" - Dishwalla (1996)

"Ironic" - Alanis Morissette (1996)

"Run-Around" - Blues Traveler (1995)

"Kiss From A Rose" - Seal (1995)

"Back For Good" - Take That (1995)

"Truly, Madly, Deeply" - Savage Garden (1997/1998)

"Another Night" - Real McCoy (1994/1995)

"Water Runs Dry" - Boyz II Men (1995)

"Mr. Jones" - Counting Crows (1994)

"Nobody Knows" - Tony Rich Project (1996)

"Your Woman" - White Town (1997)

All of those were Overplayed, take your pick

Written By: whistledog on 06/29/06 at 12:14 am

I used to like hearing Alanis Morissette's hits in the early 90s.  I never had any of her CD's, but I did have the 'Too Hot' cassingle, and I listened to it often 8)

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/29/06 at 12:07 pm

Dunno about the early 90s, but in the late 90s songs like 'Torn', 'My Heart Will Go On,' 'Macarena', 'Semi-Charmed Kind of Life', 'Jagged Little Pill.' etc

Written By: MtOlivePickles on 06/29/06 at 4:00 pm

"I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston. And when I started listening to the radio on my own (read: not in my parent's car), it was "All I Want" by Toad the Wet Sproket. I still like that song.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/29/06 at 6:08 pm

I remember Bette Midler's stuff from 1990; Being first introduced to Mariah Carey's music in 1991; Listening to En Vogue in 1992 and Shaniece; Owning the "Free Willy" Album in 1993 (and also Mary J. Blige and Janet Jackson's albums); Listening to Sheryl Crowe, Ace of Base, TLC and Madonna in 1994; Anticipating Mariah Carey's new album in 1995; buying the Beatles Anthology in 1996 and first hearing of the Spice Girls; Listening to the Verve in 1997; In 1998, getting burned by overexposed Celine Dion and Shania Twain; and finally, in 1999, the return of super pop and Latin music.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/29/06 at 6:14 pm

I remember Bette Midler's stuff from 1990; Being first introduced to Mariah Carey's music in 1991; Listening to En Vogue in 1992 and Shaniece; Owning the "Free Willy" Album in 1993 (and also Mary J. Blige and Janet Jackson's albums); Listening to Sheryl Crowe, Ace of Base, TLC and Madonna in 1994; Anticipating Mariah Carey's new album in 1995; buying the Beatles Anthology in 1996 and first hearing of the Spice Girls; Listening to the Verve in 1997; In 1998, getting burned by overexposed Celine Dion and Shania Twain; and finally, in 1999, the return of super pop and Latin music.

I really liked "From a Distance" (guilty pleasure sure, but a pretty song). Oddly, I remember Mariah Carey's string of singles/videos in 1990/91 being the first time I ever got sick of any music. Even when I was 9, I knew those videos were overplayed on VH1 (actually, all of her subsequent singles have been like that too). ;D

One song toward the end of the '90s I really liked when I first heard it on the radio was "I'll Be" by Edwin McCain - which really has that "classic 90s" feel (sounds closer to 1994 than '97, IMO. Reminds me of Collective Soul, whom I also really like, too).

Check for new replies or respond here...