inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Garbage vs Hole

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/29/06 at 11:50 am

Both had similar names/aesthetics, and similar frontman. Hole was probably more 'Riot Grrrl' than Garbage, which was a bit more varied. I have to admit quite liking both (not all of their stuff). So, IYO, which do you prefer in terms of music? Not in terms of Courtney Love vs Shirley Manson.

Subject: Re: Garbage vs Hole

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/29/06 at 12:50 pm

I liked both, more so Garbage. I saw both bands in concert. I would say that Hole was grungier until they became pretty-pretty with their album, Celebrity Skin. When that album came out, they seemed to style themselves after Garbage.

Written By: chaka on 06/29/06 at 12:58 pm

I prefer Hole. Live Through This is just a phantastic album.But Celebrity Skin...not so good.

Garbage isn't bad either but still prefer Hole.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/30/06 at 4:45 pm

I chose Garbage. Again, I am more of sucker for melodic stuff, and Garbage seemed more melodic than Hole. Courtney Love was hard to listen to sometimes, as well.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/30/06 at 6:05 pm

Courtney Love was hard to listen to sometimes, as well.

You got that right.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/30/06 at 6:18 pm

Garbage...beyond "Miss World" and "Plush" there wasn't all that much to Hole (other than Courtney Love's persona.)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/30/06 at 6:40 pm

Garbage.

Shirley Manson pwns Courtney Love.

Written By: Red Ant on 07/01/06 at 1:39 am

Garbage>Hole, but Drain STH is better than them both.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/01/06 at 1:51 am

Garbage

Written By: woops on 07/01/06 at 3:58 am

Though I like both, I enjoy more songs from Hole

Written By: chaka on 07/01/06 at 4:12 pm

Garbage...beyond "Miss World" and "Plush" there wasn't all that much to Hole (other than Courtney Love's persona.)

Plush? Never heard of that song before..what album is it on??

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/02/06 at 10:50 am

I chose Garbage. Again, I am more of sucker for melodic stuff, and Garbage seemed more melodic than Hole. Courtney Love was hard to listen to sometimes, as well.

Hole's music was quite melodic - in many ways it was pretty much a rip-off of Nirvana, but you could argue Nirvana ripped off the Pixies and Sonic Youth (I actually think Hole had more similarities to the aforesaid bands and were more like them then Nirvana). Garbage probably adapted better, while Hole, as Tanya said, sort of appealed to the masses with Celebrity Skin.

Written By: chaka on 07/02/06 at 1:30 pm

Hole's music was quite melodic - in many ways it was pretty much a rip-off of Nirvana, but you could argue Nirvana ripped off the Pixies and Sonic Youth (I actually think Hole had more similarities to the aforesaid bands and were more like them then Nirvana). Garbage probably adapted better, while Hole, as Tanya said, sort of appealed to the masses with Celebrity Skin.

So, according to you, Hole is a female version of Nirvana?

A lot of people are convinced Kurt helped write a lot of the songs on Live Through This...but I don't really agree on that one,the lyrics can't be compared to Kurts' because quite simply there isn't anythig to compare..the themes of Live Through This are very feminine and you can (sort of) make sense out of most of them which isn't the case in Kurt's lyrics.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/02/06 at 3:02 pm

Plush? Never heard of that song before..what album is it on??

Nevermind...very much a mistake, lol...

Garbage was one of those great late '90s pop-rock bands like Marcy Playground or early No Doubt. Hole was sort of a poppified revision of the riot grrl movement, typified by Babes in Toyland and Bikini Kill.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/02/06 at 7:23 pm

Nevermind...very much a mistake, lol...

Garbage was one of those great late '90s pop-rock bands like Marcy Playground or early No Doubt. Hole was sort of a poppified revision of the riot grrl movement, typified by Babes in Toyland and Bikini Kill.

Garbage first album came out in 1995, so they were mid-1990s.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/02/06 at 10:47 pm

Garbage first album came out in 1995, so they were mid-1990s.

Hole peaked in the early to mid 90s, with a second resurgence in the late 90s with Celebrity Skin, while Garbage really reached the mainstream with Version 2.0 in 1997/1998, and sort of consolidated it with 2000's 'Beautiful Garbage.'

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/03/06 at 2:24 pm

Hole peaked in the early to mid 90s, with a second resurgence in the late 90s with Celebrity Skin, while Garbage really reached the mainstream with Version 2.0 in 1997/1998, and sort of consolidated it with 2000's 'Beautiful Garbage.'

I was referring to their debut album "Garbage", that came out in 1995. On this album, they had three hit singles, "Stupid Girl", "Queer", and "I'm Only Happy When It Rains". I was part of their first audiences. These songs were massive that year. So they were pretty much in the mainstream then. Version 2.0 strengthened their place.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/03/06 at 9:58 pm

I was referring to their debut album "Garbage", that came out in 1995. On this album, they had three hit singles, "Stupid Girl", "Queer", and "I'm Only Happy When It Rains". I was part of their first audiences. These songs were massive that year. So they were pretty much in the mainstream then. Version 2.0 strengthened their place.

I got into Garbage (not in a big way) when I got Beautiful Garbage for my birthday in 2000 or 2001, on the singles 'Breaking Up The Girl', 'Androgyny' and 'Cherry Lips' which was probably Garbage at their most-radio friendly. They sounded very much like No Doubt to my young ears, but now I realise they were quite different bands.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/04/06 at 1:10 am

I got into Garbage (not in a big way) when I got Beautiful Garbage for my birthday in 2000 or 2001, on the singles 'Breaking Up The Girl', 'Androgyny' and 'Cherry Lips' which was probably Garbage at their most-radio friendly. They sounded very much like No Doubt to my young ears, but now I realise they were quite different bands.

Quite different indeed. While I loved No Doubt, they sold out after the song, "Don't Speak" was released. They seem to desire being part of the mainstream instead of the cooler outskirts.

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/05/06 at 10:29 pm

Garbage.

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 09/12/06 at 2:46 pm

Garbage

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 09/13/06 at 10:17 am

Garbage

Written By: bj26 on 09/13/06 at 12:56 pm

This pretty much sums up my opinion as well.  Garbage is more pop vs Hole's grunge.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 09/13/06 at 1:29 pm

Definitely Garbage... "I'm Only Happy When It Rains" was my theme song for a while! :)

Check for new replies or respond here...