inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Collective Soul "Grunge"?

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/29/06 at 6:27 pm

I'd say they had some influences of it, enough to be liked by fans of Nirvana, but weren't grunge per se. Their 1995 stuff was more alternative pop/rock. Although they had heavier songs like "Where the River Flows" that were borderline (that one is actually one of my faves, even though I don't like grunge). ;)

Subject: Re: Is Collective Soul "Grunge"?

Written By: sonikuu on 06/29/06 at 6:34 pm

They're Grunge influenced, but not Grunge.  Same with other mid 90s bands like Bush and Stone Temple Pilots.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/29/06 at 7:02 pm

They're Grunge influenced, but not Grunge.  Same with other mid 90s bands like Bush and Stone Temple Pilots.

Yeah, I always liked them too. I guess it's more melodic alt rock, people who didn't like hard rock or grunge could enjoy it easier (especially "The World I Know" - which is their best slow song).

I think this type of music that defined the mid '90s more (whereas true, darker Grunge was more late 1991-1994). Around 1995 and up to late '98 even (before the real boy band/Britney explosion). Songs like "Save Tonight" by Eagle Eye Cherry sound more of this period, too.

Written By: audkal on 06/29/06 at 11:00 pm

They're Grunge influenced, but not Grunge.

I would have to agree with that.

Collective Soul is great, my bro has the greatest hits and I love it!  "The World I Know" is really good, it's one of the only "new" songs that my dad actually likes, lol.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/29/06 at 11:07 pm

I would have to agree with that.

Collective Soul is great, my bro has the greatest hits and I love it!  "The World I Know" is really good, it's one of the only "new" songs that my dad actually likes, lol.

He picked a good one to like. ;)

Have you heard their newest album Youth? I actually thought that was just as catchy as their '95 one, especially "Better Now" and "How Do You Love". Some of the songs actually sound kinda retro '80s in their own way.

Written By: audkal on 06/29/06 at 11:23 pm

The only one I've heard from their new CD is "Better Now", thought it was pretty cool.

They're definitely a very respectable band.  "Shine" still sits with me as one of my top favorite songs of all time.  8)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/30/06 at 3:26 pm

No, they were college/alt rock. I saw them play live and I wouldn't put the title grunge in front or near them.

Written By: chaka on 07/01/06 at 4:15 pm

I'd say post-grunge,they're certainly not your "typical grunge band" if you like.

Written By: D.J. on 07/02/06 at 7:29 pm

They're a cool band.  They're definitely not grunge although they were influenced by bands who were grunge.  I heard the new song "Better Now", it's one of my favorites.  "Shine" is my favorite Collective Soul Song.

Check for new replies or respond here...