inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Wonder Years, 80's or 90's show?

Written By: 1993 on 06/30/06 at 12:02 am

First off, I'd like to say that this is perhaps the most underrated program maybe in Television history, it's nearly never mentioned in the same breath as I love lucy or seinfeld, but it belongs there. No other show captured an era, a feeling, or pulled on the old heartstrings. Viewers were really able to relate to the characters and felt very deeply for them. I remember almost welling up with tears when the narrative in the final episode told us that Jack died just two years after that final 4th of July the family spent together.

the show pretty much spanned the late 80's and early 90's, (1988-1993), but I always saw it as a 90's show. The 80's didn't have the same type of nostalgia for the late 60's and early 70's as the early 90's did.

I'd like for them to make another wonder years type show, instead of rehashing the late 60'/early 70's again, use the early to mid 90's. Not sure if it would work, but television definitely lack quality programming like this.

Subject: Re: The Wonder Years, 80's or 90's show?

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/30/06 at 12:03 am

First off, I'd like to say that this is perhaps the most underrated program maybe in Television history, it's nearly never mentioned in the same breath as I love lucy or seinfeld, but it belongs there. No other show captured an era, a feeling, or pulled on the old heartstrings. Viewers were really able to relate to the characters and felt very deeply for them. I remember almost welling up with tears when the narrative in the final episode told us that Jack died just two years after that final 4th of July the family spent together.

the show pretty much spanned the late 80's and early 90's, (1988-1993), but I always saw it as a 90's show. The 80's didn't have the same type of nostalgia for the late 60's and early 70's as the early 90's did.

I think of it as early '90s...I really loved that show when it used to be on Nick at Nite and whatnot.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/30/06 at 9:52 am

Early 90's would be about right.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/30/06 at 1:36 pm

I love the Wonder Years. I remember watching it from the very beginning. I find it more of a early '90s show, too.

Written By: Davester on 06/30/06 at 1:57 pm

First off, I'd like to say that this is perhaps the most underrated program maybe in Television history, it's nearly never mentioned in the same breath as I love lucy or seinfeld, but it belongs there. No other show captured an era, a feeling, or pulled on the old heartstrings. Viewers were really able to relate to the characters and felt very deeply for them.

I wholeheartedly agree with that, 1993...would love to see a DVD release...

Started watching from it's premiere.  I'll call it an 80's show...

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 07/01/06 at 5:51 am

The Wonder Years is defiitely one of the best television shows in history. Every episode was exquisitely written, acted and directed. I've never really thought of the program as an 80s or 90s show, to be truthful. I've always considered it a timeless show about a lost American innocence...

Written By: D.J. on 07/02/06 at 7:30 pm

It's definitely an underrated show.  Fred Savage is an excellent actor.  The majority of its popularity was in the 90s so I do consider it a 90s show.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/02/06 at 8:19 pm

I loved the Wonder Years.  Back when the channel TNN used to exist (it became SpikeTV), every morning from 10-12pm, they'd air 4 episodes of it.  My favorite episode was when Karen got married in the backyard and Donovan's "Catch The Wind" is playing during the scene.  I cried every time I saw it.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/02/06 at 8:23 pm

Oh wow, just noticed this thread. The Wonder Years is my absolute favorite show. Soon, I'll be ordering the complete series from Ebay. They're recorded, but I'm so desperate to see this show again, I don't even care.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/02/06 at 8:45 pm

Oh wow, just noticed this thread. The Wonder Years is my absolute favorite show. Soon, I'll be ordering the complete series from Ebay. They're recorded, but I'm so desperate to see this show again, I don't even care.

Also, the pilot episode can be viewed here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q2NI2Kt50SE&search=The%20Wonder%20Years

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/02/06 at 8:54 pm

I also loved The Wonder Years. I would agree that I see it as a 90's program. The timeline that the show is set in is right about the same as my own life. I've mentioned once before on another thread, I can't remember where, but I got to meet Fred Savage as he and his graduating high school class were on the same 7 day Mexican cruise ship that we were on. He was so nice & as I'm trying to compliment him on the show, he's asking me where I'm from, how my trip is going, just a polite, courteous young man. It's a DVD box set worth having in my collection. I'll have to put that on the list. So many good episodes, and the cast was great. Who was the narrator, Daniel Stern I think?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/02/06 at 8:57 pm

Who was the narrator, Daniel Stern I think?

That's the guy.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/02/06 at 8:59 pm

That's the guy.
gracias  :)

Written By: whistledog on 07/02/06 at 9:54 pm

It was on in the 80s and the 90's, so it's both, but none of that matters becuase when you get down to it, The Wonder Years was great no matter what 8)

I watched it all the time :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/02/06 at 10:09 pm

It was on in the 80s and the 90's, so it's both, but none of that matters becuase when you get down to it, The Wonder Years was great no matter what 8)

I watched it all the time :)
good diplomacy Jason

Written By: deadrockstar on 07/03/06 at 10:45 am

True that.  It doesn't seem to be on T.V. anymore, and its not available on DVD yet.  Well, non-bootleg anyway, lol. 

Written By: gmann on 07/05/06 at 7:59 am

"The Wonder Years" is one of my favorite shows of all time. In retrospect, I find it appealing because it used universal themes and experiences from adolescence without diving into a cliched 60s/70s nostalgia trip. I've seen many shows and films try *too* hard to put you in a specific time and place, and they always came off as being...well, forced. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else, but that's how I feel.

Written By: 1993 on 07/12/06 at 11:21 am

"The Wonder Years" is one of my favorite shows of all time. In retrospect, I find it appealing because it used universal themes and experiences from adolescence without diving into a cliched 60s/70s nostalgia trip. I've seen many shows and films try *too* hard to put you in a specific time and place, and they always came off as being...well, forced. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else, but that's how I feel.

Early episodes of That 70's Show were definitely like that...extremely forced. It got better towards the end though. The more forced it is, the less it feels like that particular era they're trying to capture.

Written By: Davester on 07/12/06 at 8:04 pm

Heh, yeah, that makes perfect sense...

That 80's Show was forced.  Actually, among my first rants on this board involved said forced TV show...

Hmm, MidnightDarkness mentioned something about a bootleg box set. Check it out...mad props to gmann for the raising of the recently deceased... ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...