inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: worst thing that came out of the 90s

Written By: FAH_Q on 07/01/06 at 2:04 am

STARBUCKS!!!STARBUCKS!!!STARBUCKS!!!STARBUCKS!!!STARBUCKS!!!STARBUCKS!!!STARBUCKS!!!STARBUCKS!!!STARBUCKS!!!STARBUCKS!!!STARBUCKS!!!STARBUCKS!!!STARBUCKS!!!STARBUCKS!!!STARBUCKS!!!STARBUCKS!!!STARBUCKS!!!STARBUCKS!!!STARBUCKS!!!STARBUCKS!!!

Subject: Re: worst thing that came out of the 90s

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/01/06 at 2:06 am

Starbucks didn't come out of the 90s, dude.  Starbucks was created in the 70s. 

Written By: audkal on 07/01/06 at 11:28 am

Probably Justin Timberlake.  People hate the boybands but I have to say out of Backstreet Boys and NSYNC....BB was better, even if it was just a tiny bit better.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/01/06 at 12:27 pm

Whichever decade Starbucks was created, I find the coffee/tea shop very useful.

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/06 at 8:18 pm

Grunge Music.  There were many people that liked it, which is good, but it was never my cup of tea  :(

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/01/06 at 8:34 pm

Alot of the rap...it's anti-Semitic, misogynist, homophobic, and generally hateful (particularly Eminem.)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/01/06 at 8:54 pm

Whichever decade Starbucks was created, I find the coffee/tea shop very useful.

I love Starbucks.  I'll fight people who say it sucks. 

(J/K about that; I'm not a fighter)

Written By: Roadgeek on 07/01/06 at 10:11 pm

Worsts thing that came out of the 90s? :-\\ That's a hard question for me. Personally, it was the fact that I was more rambuntious than today.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/02/06 at 10:36 am

Wait... what's your least favorite thing again? I didn't catch it the first 20 times...

... Panama Bay coffee?

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/02/06 at 10:46 am

Friends

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/06 at 11:21 am

Friends
True, it has never made me laugh.

Written By: audkal on 07/02/06 at 12:31 pm

True, it has never made me laugh.

It made me once, but that was it.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/02/06 at 12:39 pm

It made me once, but that was it.

I've seen it a few times, and couldn't stand it.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/02/06 at 12:52 pm

I've seen it a few times, and couldn't stand it.

It's one of those 'love it or hate it' kinda shows. Maybe if the character's actually spoke like real people instead of freak-outs on speed, then it might be a bit more watchable.  :D

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/02/06 at 2:57 pm

Also, I consider Starbucks to be a '90s phenomenon that has unfortunately carried over to the '00s...it's an example of capitalist-imperialist destruction and homogenization. It's definitely in the top 10 worst things to come out of the '90s.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/02/06 at 10:49 pm

Also, I consider Starbucks to be a '90s phenomenon that has unfortunately carried over to the '00s...it's an example of capitalist-imperialist destruction and homogenization. It's definitely in the top 10 worst things to come out of the '90s.

As Sister Morphine pointed out, Starbucks originated in the 1970s, but I guess you could say it was really popularised and began to dominate the public awareness in the 1990s.

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 07/03/06 at 11:30 am

friends also and I really don't like ross or I like to call him whiney ross he always whines and also he never see his son ben but make time to see his daughter emma and I am glad that emily didn't marry the whiner but rachel is hot though

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/03/06 at 10:24 pm

friends also and I really don't like ross or I like to call him whiney ross he always whines and also he never see his son ben but make time to see his daughter emma and I am glad that emily didn't marry the whiner but rachel is hot though

Yeah, Ross was annoying and so was Monica.

Written By: robby76 on 07/04/06 at 6:11 am

Starbucks is a coffee shop... let's not make it out to be something it's not.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/04/06 at 7:09 am

Starbucks is a coffee shop... let's not make it out to be something it's not.

You don't understand.  Starbucks is popular and they have good coffee.  Therefore, they are Satan.

Written By: deadrockstar on 07/04/06 at 9:13 am

The worst thing to come out of the 90s: Kurt Cobain/grunge.  By far.

Written By: chaka on 07/04/06 at 10:04 am

Grunge Music.  There were many people that liked it, which is good, but it was never my cup of tea  :(

No way,it might not have appealed to you but that doesn't mean it was the worst thing that came out of the 90s.
Boy/girlbands are by far much worse and all the cheesy RnB "love" songs.

Written By: chaka on 07/04/06 at 10:05 am

[quote author=

Written By: P.E.D. on 08/03/06 at 3:00 pm

The first Starbucks was opened in Seattle in 1971 by three partners

Written By: Lee_Marsh on 08/05/06 at 8:42 pm

yeah, WTF is wrong with you people?  Grunge music wasnt THAT bad, I enjoyed it.  And besides Nirvana was a great and revolutionary band, just as metallica and every other band was.  They where good for their time.  Ill agree with the boyband thing, that was truly horrid music >_>.  But the worst thing im gonna go wtih is rap, because its pointless and really doesnt send a message like other BETTER music does.  To me, it really has no purpose but ryhming words, that, and attracting brainless teens.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/06 at 2:39 am

As Sister Morphine pointed out, Starbucks originated in the 1970s, but I guess you could say it was really popularised and began to dominate the public awareness in the 1990s.

Starbucks entered the U.K. market in 1998 with the acquisition of the then 60-outlet Seattle Coffee Company, re-branding all its stores as Starbucks.

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/06/06 at 2:42 am

I think the worst thing to come out of the 90s is all the misuse of the word "irony."  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/06 at 2:45 am

I think the worst thing to come out of the 90s is all the misuse of the word "irony."  ::)
How ironic you said that/

Written By: Davester on 08/06/06 at 4:13 am

The first Starbucks was opened in Seattle in 1971 by three partners—English teacher Jerry Baldwin, history teacher Zev Siegel, and writer Gordon Bowker.

Where do you see anything about the 90s in that statement?

Starbuck's prominent place in 90's culture might have something to do with the company's expansion and marketing strategies...

I had never heard of Starbucks until the early 90's and it wasn't even the eponymous coffee shop.  It was a small pastry shop in a mall similar to Cinnabon who took great pride in featuring Starbuck's coffee...

I buy Starbuck's coffee beans at the supermarket and grind them fresh each time I brew coffee...

I even have a coffee stain on one of my shoelaces groove ;) on...

Written By: P.E.D. on 08/06/06 at 5:36 pm

Other bad things of the 1990s: Overuse of "ecclectic", bad teen driven pop music, Britney Spears

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/06/06 at 9:29 pm

Hmm....more bad '90s things?

I'm going to say the way independent films all became the same, and overly commercialized after about 1997.

Written By: Dave79 on 08/06/06 at 11:45 pm

To many to name right now.. But the loss of 16oz glass bottle sodas was something I didnt like..  :D

--
Dave. 

Written By: P.E.D. on 08/07/06 at 3:20 pm

Yeah, I miss the glass pepsi and coke bottles..definitely a 50s/60s thing that stuck around well into my childhood. Another thing I miss, and bad 90s thing, was the loss of NORMAL SIZES...I don't mean the Starbucks gimicky ones, I mean..go to McDonald's or any other fast food place..the portions of fries and drinks and such are HUGE. What was a small around 1980 is kid size, a medium from then is MAYBE a small..large from 1980 is barely a medium. I ordered a "medium" vanilla frosty from Wendy's last week (Damn those are good, like I had been asking them for 15 freaking years to make!)..and the thing was giant. My daughter and I shared it and could not finish it..and I am FAR from skinny.

Written By: Dave79 on 08/07/06 at 3:32 pm

Yeah, I miss the glass pepsi and coke bottles..definitely a 50s/60s thing that stuck around well into my childhood. Another thing I miss, and bad 90s thing, was the loss of NORMAL SIZES...I don't mean the Starbucks gimicky ones, I mean..go to McDonald's or any other fast food place..the portions of fries and drinks and such are HUGE. What was a small around 1980 is kid size, a medium from then is MAYBE a small..large from 1980 is barely a medium. I ordered a "medium" vanilla frosty from Wendy's last week (Damn those are good, like I had been asking them for 15 freaking years to make!)..and the thing was giant. My daughter and I shared it and could not finish it..and I am FAR from skinny.

Yea really.. portion size has definitely went up.

--
Dave.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/07/06 at 3:47 pm

This is easy for me..... POp bands coming back and Britney Spears.... Awful, just awful! :P

Written By: packerhawk24 on 08/07/06 at 6:47 pm

On the other hand, it seems like the portions of many pre-packaged snack foods (I'm thinking of Hostess Cupcakes in particular) have gotten a lot SMALLER in the past decade. And remember when you could get a bag of Doritos or Lays that was not about 50% air?

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 08/26/06 at 4:03 pm

low rise jeans in the late 90s but the super low rise has kinda gone out and mid rise is coming back

Check for new replies or respond here...