inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What 90s albums sound outdated to you?

Written By: dj454s on 07/01/06 at 10:51 am

I was listening to Radiohead's The Bends album (1995) and was noticing that it is starting to sound grossly outdated. Yet, Red Hot Chili Peppers still sound new and timeless to me.

Subject: Re: What 90s albums sound outdated to you?

Written By: audkal on 07/01/06 at 11:37 am

Oasis - "(What's the Story) Morning Glory?" album from 1995.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/01/06 at 4:24 pm

The first Mariah Carey album, Vision of Love.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/02/06 at 10:42 am

I was listening to Radiohead's The Bends album (1995) and was noticing that it is starting to sound grossly outdated. Yet, Red Hot Chili Peppers still sound new and timeless to me.

The Bends doesn't sound at all outdated to me?

Written By: dj454s on 07/02/06 at 10:56 am

It is just my personal opinion. Still is one of my favoriets from my 1995 collection.  :)

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/02/06 at 10:58 am

I have a feeling Radiohead have not reached the apex of their fame just yet...

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/02/06 at 12:43 pm

Alot of '90s stuff sounds outdated to me, albeit not in a bad way. Classic groups like Aimee Mann, Tori Amos, Nirvana, Soundgarden, RHCP, Oasis, and Radiohead never really can, just "currently out of style." It's more stuff like Candlebox or Hootie and the Blowfish, or stuff like Boyz II Men, that sounds really outdated.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/02/06 at 12:50 pm

Alot of '90s stuff sounds outdated to me, albeit not in a bad way. Classic groups like Aimee Mann, Tori Amos, Nirvana, Soundgarden, RHCP, Oasis, and Radiohead never really can, just "currently out of style." It's more stuff like Candlebox or Hootie and the Blowfish, or stuff like Boyz II Men, that sounds really outdated.

I suspect it's because bands like Nirvana had a 'genericity' (in a good way) about them, that defied classification (though they are very classifyable), a sort of transient genre.

Written By: MtOlivePickles on 07/03/06 at 9:02 pm

This is very cheesy of me, but... I got nostalgic and ripped the Backstreet Boys first US album to my MP3 player, and it seems so very 1998 to me. Which is, I suppose, the point, but I didn't expect to listen to some of the songs and be like, "Wow, this really DID come out eight years ago."

Check for new replies or respond here...