inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 90's TV Commercial Question

Written By: Luvz2Fly on 07/02/06 at 12:20 pm

HELP!!  What was this commerical for?
The guy makes a collect call and says "its-bob-we-had-a-baby-its-a-boy"
and hangs up ... BIG Argument over here - Some say it was a Public Service Announcement from the phone company asking you not to cheat the system ... others are saying it was for 1-800-collect (some even say a GEICO commercial!) Please help and provide proof!!  Thanks!

Links to view the original ad would be great!

Subject: Re: 90's TV Commercial Question

Written By: audkal on 07/02/06 at 12:37 pm

I'm pretty sure it was a 1-800 collect commercial.  I think it was about being charged too much for phone calls so the person who said "its-bob-we-had-a-baby-its-a-boy" was trying to keep the message short so he wouldn't get charged.

Written By: ky4ensicgirl on 06/28/07 at 3:25 pm

This was a Geico commercial and the guy was Lex Medlin.  He's my brother-in-law.  Other credits, "Happy Hour", "Still Standing", "Rock Me Baby" and many others.  Hope this helps!

Written By: audkal on 06/28/07 at 11:09 pm

I stand corrected!  ;D

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/28/07 at 11:42 pm

Yes, it was for 1-800-Collect. I remember the commercial, but no longer remember what year it was on TV.

Written By: ky4ensicgirl on 06/29/07 at 8:20 am

Yes, it was for 1-800-Collect. I remember the commercial, but no longer remember what year it was on TV.

It was not 1-800-collect, it was a Geico commercial when they were Geico Direct.  The only reason I know this is because I am related to the guy.  Look at my previous post.

Written By: Mushroom on 06/29/07 at 9:06 am

http://www.geocities.com/medlinpage/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lex_Medlin

This should answer the question.  :)

Oh, and Lex is currently working on a new TV series, "The Middle".

Written By: ky4ensicgirl on 06/29/07 at 9:13 am

;)I can't believe there is someone else out there who knows about this page!  That is so cool!  The things he says about Lex being a typical actor are just not true.  He is sooo funny and such a cornball.  He just got picked up for a new series that is going to be on ABC.  Also, starring...someone help us...Ricki Lake! ;D

Written By: snozberries on 07/08/07 at 6:10 pm

It was not 1-800-collect, it was a Geico commercial when they were Geico Direct.  The only reason I know this is because I am related to the guy.  Look at my previous post.

Yeah its from those ads when Geico used to fake us out thinking we were watching one commercial only to find out it was Geico... pretty effective considering the response here. Too bad they are doing those stupid Caveman commercials now.  >:(

Check for new replies or respond here...