inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Tom Hanks movie of the 90s

Written By: audkal on 07/02/06 at 9:56 pm

I love Forrest Gump and Greenmile but I like FG the best.   :)

Subject: Re: Best Tom Hanks movie of the 90s

Written By: whistledog on 07/02/06 at 9:58 pm

"There's no crying in Baseball!"

A League of Their Own gets my vote.  One of the best Baseball movies around.  It was excellent 8)

Written By: Roadgeek on 07/02/06 at 10:15 pm

Gotta go with Toy Story. Wonderful movie. Apollo 13 was pretty good too.

Written By: nally on 07/02/06 at 10:59 pm

I like "That Thing You Do" the best. O0

"You've Got Mail" and "Forrest Gump" would be my runners up.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/02/06 at 11:01 pm

I had a hard time choosing between Philadelphia, Forrest Gump and Apollo 13, but I went with Philadelphia.  His performance moved me to tears.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/02/06 at 11:40 pm

I voted for 'Forest Gump' - because that movie has become part of the culture. Philadelphia was let down by a poor storyline/script (for instance, I didn't even know the Tom Hanks character was even homosexual until some time into the film, but then again I wasn't really concentrating on watching it).

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 07/03/06 at 6:29 am

I had to vote for Forest Gump as well. Tom Hanks has done so many amazing movies, but his role in Forest Gump will forever be one of the greatest characters ever created for film! He so richly deserved his Academy Award for this movie, as well as for the haunting Philadelphia. He is truly one of the best actors of all time...

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 07/03/06 at 11:32 am

philielphia*sp is a good move that started his comeback and that his first one of two oscars wins

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/03/06 at 2:17 pm

Forrest Gump, followed closely by Philadelphia. Why, of course, he did win Oscars for these roles.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/06 at 2:47 pm

It has to be Forrest Gump.

Written By: Ebontyne on 07/03/06 at 4:33 pm

Philadelphia for me - very touching. And although I don't like war movies generally, I think that Saving Private Ryan would be my second choice. Oddly, I don't seem to like Forrest Gump quite as much as everyone else does. :)

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/03/06 at 10:22 pm

Forrest Gump.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/06 at 12:00 pm

his only good movie came out in the 80s and that was bachelor party
Not Splash then?

Written By: audkal on 07/04/06 at 12:05 pm

Does anyone remember the Weird Al parody "He's Gump"?  He used the music from "She's Lump" by Presidents of the United States of America.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=XGDNUHB2Z52G1KC4D3JVAGI?id=cat12085&type=page&sc=Song&qs=gump&cp=1&sp=Relevance&mipp=25&uq=gump&_requestid=42413

Gump sat alone on a bench in the park
"My name is Forrest," he'd casually remark
Waitin' for the bus with his hands in his pockets
He just kept sayin' life is like a box of chocolates

He's Gump, He's Gump
What's in his head?
He's Gump, He's Gump, He's Gump
Is he in-bred?

Gump was a big celebrity
He told JFK that he really had to pee
He never feels too dumb because
His mom always told him stupid is as stupid does

He's Gump, He's Gump
He's kinda square
What's with that hair?

Run... run... run, run, now Forrest
Run... run... run like the wind now
Run... run... run, run, now Forrest
Run... stop!

His buddy Bubba was a shrimp-lovin' man
His friend with no legs he called Lieutenant Dan
His girlfriend Jenny was kind of a sl*t
He went to the White House, showed LBJ his butt

He's Gump, He's Gump
He's not too bright
But he's alright

Is this Gump out of his head?
I think so
Is this Gump really brain dead?
I think so
Did this Gump make lots of bread?
I think so
And that's all I have to say about that

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/04/06 at 12:43 pm

Philadelphia

Written By: audkal on 07/06/06 at 5:24 pm

his only good movie came out in the 80s and that was bachelor party

I didn't see that one but I thought "The Burbs" was a pretty enjoyable one he made in the 80s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/07/06 at 12:42 pm

I didn't see that one but I thought "The Burbs" was a pretty enjoyable one he made in the 80s.
...but The Burbs was still in the 80s.

Written By: KKay on 07/07/06 at 1:23 pm

I dont really like him- but Im into astronauts so I picked Apollo 13

Written By: Tia on 07/07/06 at 1:57 pm

wow, i'd have predicted a clean sweep for saving private ryan. such a powerful movie.

i only saw forrest gump once but i thought it was kinda overrated.

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 09/12/06 at 2:45 pm

The Green Mile

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 09/15/06 at 11:05 pm

Philadelphia because i saw it when i was little and it made me understand what aids is and so many people my age (17) joke around about aids as if its a harmless thing and it scares me that if they dont find a cure soon there will be a large group of late gen y getting aids because it is such a joke to alot of them

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/15/06 at 11:33 pm

;D I LOVED Forrest Gump and Saving Private Ryan..Philadelphia was great too....But I love Tom Hanks in just about everything!

Written By: Abix on 09/16/06 at 4:42 pm

I voted for 'Forest Gump' - because that movie has become part of the culture. Philadelphia was let down by a poor storyline/script (for instance, I didn't even know the Tom Hanks character was even homosexual until some time into the film, but then again I wasn't really concentrating on watching it).

He was??? what about having a son with Jenny? He was in love with Jenny!!

Written By: rich1981 on 09/16/06 at 11:01 pm

Forrest Gump

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/16/06 at 11:55 pm

He was??? what about having a son with Jenny? He was in love with Jenny!!

Tom Hanks's character in Philadelphia was a homosexual; that's what he was saying.  His character had AIDS and he got fired for it.  Haven't you seen it?

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/17/06 at 2:27 am

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/17/06 at 2:31 am

Yea....He was homosexual in Philadelphia...But in Forestt Gump he was in total love with Jenny....Tom Hanks is one of the best actors of our time,,,he can do comedy..drama...ALL...

I know his character's sexuality in Forrest Gump.  However Abix thought that Trimac was saying Forrest was gay when he was talking about Philiadelphia.  I was clearing up a misunderstanding.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/18/06 at 3:09 pm

I chose "Forrest Gump" as it was the most moving theatre experience I think I've ever had. It was in a packed theatre and it was before "Forrest Gump" really caught on.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/18/06 at 3:11 pm

Forrest Gump...followed by The Green Mile...

Tom Hanks is a superb actor!  8)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/18/06 at 3:24 pm

I voted Forrest Gump, but also loved Saving Private Ryan and Philadelphia.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/18/06 at 4:00 pm

Gump was great, but my favorite is Philadelphia, because I'm a huge Jonathan Demme fan.  I also loved his performance in Bonfire of the Vanities, even though the movie was mediocre.  If it wasn't Hanks as Sherman McCoy, I wouldn't have enjoyed BOTV half as much. Bruce Willis sux.  I also like Melanie Griffith, who I would never have liked if she wasn't in one of my favorite '80s movies, "Somthing Wild," (another Demme picture).  I became a lifelong fan of both Ray Liotta and Jeff Daniels from "Something Wild" as well.  Both Liotta and Daniels would see stellar success in the '90s.  Daniels was already established by the time "Something Wild" came out, but it was Liotta's first mjor role in the movies.  Before that he'd been mainly a soap opera guy.    Anyway, I'm rambling.
My favorite Tom Hanks comedy was not from the '90s, but from the '80s.  "The Money Pit" (directed by Richard Benjamin) got roundly panned by critics who wrote it off as a silly light comedy.  Uh, it was a silly light comedy and it wasn't trying to be anything else.  The critics overlooked the hillarious banter between Hanks and Shelley Long.  "The Money Pit" also has one of Hanks' finest moments ever, the hysterical laughing fit he throws when the bathtub falls through the rotten floor!
:D
I just haven't been much of a fan of the comedic roles Hanks had in the '90s.  "Sleepless in Seattle"?  Get me a barf bag! 
::)

Written By: Jack Wilson on 09/19/06 at 9:03 pm

That Thing You Do!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/20/06 at 11:54 am

My favorite Tom Hanks comedy was not from the '90s, but from the '80s.  "The Money Pit" (directed by Richard Benjamin) got roundly panned by critics who wrote it off as a silly light comedy.  Uh, it was a silly light comedy and it wasn't trying to be anything else.  The critics overlooked the hillarious banter between Hanks and Shelley Long.  "The Money Pit" also has one of Hanks' finest moments ever, the hysterical laughing fit he throws when the bathtub falls through the rotten floor!

The Money Pit!  One of my all time favorites!! 

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/21/06 at 6:32 am

The Money Pit!  One of my all time favorites!! 
;D  I thought the scene when he is stuck in the floor in the rug singing Banana Fana BoBanaFana....was HYSTERICAL...

Written By: Abix on 09/21/06 at 10:11 am

[quote author=

Written By: Abix on 09/21/06 at 10:12 am

ok I re read it.. and I misread it the first time.  oops.

Written By: holicman on 09/21/06 at 10:32 am

Stupid is as stupid does......Forrest Gump all the way !

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/21/06 at 11:09 am

;D   I thought the scene when he is stuck in the floor in the rug singing Banana Fana BoBanaFana....was HYSTERICAL...

Oh my gosh!  When she walks underneath his legs in the carpet?  And how he was making paper airplanes with the contents of his wallet?  CLASSIC!  "The Care Bears were here."  LOL!!

Written By: audkal on 09/21/06 at 11:28 am

Tom Hanks is one of the best actors of our time,,,he can do comedy..drama...ALL...

I know, he's just awesome!  I'm also a big fan of his son Colin (hence the avatar).  ;)

http://www.colin-hanks.com/gallery/albums/art_work/izzyhazira/thegreathanks.jpg

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/21/06 at 2:25 pm

Gump was great, but my favorite is Philadelphia, because I'm a huge Jonathan Demme fan.  I also loved his performance in Bonfire of the Vanities, even though the movie was mediocre.  If it wasn't Hanks as Sherman McCoy, I wouldn't have enjoyed BOTV half as much. Bruce Willis sux.  I also like Melanie Griffith, who I would never have liked if she wasn't in one of my favorite '80s movies, "Somthing Wild," (another Demme picture).  I became a lifelong fan of both Ray Liotta and Jeff Daniels from "Something Wild" as well.  Both Liotta and Daniels would see stellar success in the '90s.  Daniels was already established by the time "Something Wild" came out, but it was Liotta's first mjor role in the movies.  Before that he'd been mainly a soap opera guy.    Anyway, I'm rambling.
I just haven't been much of a fan of the comedic roles Hanks had in the '90s.  "Sleepless in Seattle"?  Get me a barf bag! 
::)

I have always been a "Money Pit" fan myself. I have the video somewhere.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/21/06 at 11:30 pm

;D   I thought the scene when he is stuck in the floor in the rug singing Banana Fana BoBanaFana....was HYSTERICAL...

"Fielding! Is that you in there Fielding? I hear you laughing at me!"
"Yes, yes, chest is constricted, I can't sho-o-uu-t...."
"This is it, you duckfart, I'm tearing up your permits, nobody laughs at Montgomery Shrapp!" (Joe Ponazecki)

Note the names for the Name Game song,
"Anna," Shelley Long's character, his wife.
"Brad," Brad Shirk, the building contractor (Carmine Caridi) "OK, let's try...Brad!"
"Walter," himself, implying the time elapsed from A to W!
;D

Also featured the late Russian actor Alexander Gudinov (1949--1995), as Max the Maestro--
"Do you realize what you've done? You've taken a woman who loves you, one of the great women in the world and thrown her away. I lost her too, but I will get over it because I am shallow and self-centered. But you, you wont, because you are "complex". You will feel terrible anguish for the rest of your life. This is turning out to be a pretty good day."

Poor Alexander, he couldn't put the bottle down, and so the bottle put him down!
:\'(

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/21/06 at 11:38 pm

I'm with Forrest Gump as his best one too - probably of all time. That's also the first "not totally comedy" movie I ever remember really liking (well, it's romance/semi comedy/drama/life experience all rolled into one). There's some parts of it, though, that are still a little sad to me, even after seeing it quite a few times.

Another point which I actually thought of when I first saw it - it didn't seem to take place in the (at the time) present of 1994. At the beginning and again towards the end, as he's telling his story to people at the bus stop, I'd guess him to only be in his mid thirties. Maybe 39 or 40 at the absolute most. If Forrest went to Vietnam and was around 8 when Elvis was just starting to become popular, the present couldn't have been much past, like 1980. So he must've been born in 1944-48 or so.

P.S. I always wondered what happened to him and his son after the movie ended and hoped everything turned out okay (since there were so many tragedies in his life that we saw). :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/21/06 at 11:47 pm

I'm with Forrest Gump as his best one too - that's even the first "not totally comedy" movie I ever remember really liking (though it's romance/semi comedy/drama/life experience all rolled into one).

Another point which I actually thought of when I first saw the movie - it didn't seem to take place in the (at the time) present of 1994. At the beginning and again towards the end, as he's telling his story to people at the bus stop, I'd guess him to only be in his mid thirties. Maybe 39 or 40 at the absolute most.

If Forrest went to Vietnam and was around 8 when Elvis was just starting to become popular, the present couldn't have been much past, like 1980 (he must've been born in 1944-48 or something).

I heard a few people dismissed Forrest Gump as right-wing propaganda.  Not without precedent, look up "Al Capp" on wikipedia.  I saw what they were saying, but I didn't care.  It was too great a movie for me to dislike because of some political insinuations. 
The line I always think of, I dunno why, it wasn't the most funny or poignant, but it cracks me up:
"Have you ever been on a real shrimp boat?"
"Nope, but I been on a real BIG boat."
:-\\ 

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/22/06 at 4:36 am

8) I always liked when the old guy says  " That boy sure is a runnin fool! "..Reminded me of my grandpa...lol...

Check for new replies or respond here...