inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Just a question...I'm new to this board

Written By: 90s Girl on 07/03/06 at 1:28 am

I was looking through some of the posts on this board and I couldn't help but wonder the average age of those contributing to the 90's threads.  I was not BORN in the 90's but grew up in the 90's.    Having been born in 1980 I guess technically makes me an 80's kid but I don't really remember too much from the 80's (I was too young to care about fads and such)  I have a million more memories of the 90's. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think that in order to truly remember and appreciate the 90's you would need to be at least around 10 when the 90's began.  Tell me what you think....

Subject: Re: Just a question...I'm new to this board

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/03/06 at 1:31 am

I was looking through some of the posts on this board and I couldn't help but wonder the average age of those contributing to the 90's threads.  I was not BORN in the 90's but grew up in the 90's.    Having been born in 1980 I guess technically makes me an 80's kid but I don't really remember too much from the 80's (I was too young to care about fads and such)  I have a million more memories of the 90's. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think that in order to truly remember and appreciate the 90's you would need to be at least around 10 when the 90's began.  Tell me what you think....

No offense, but people don't like being told they have to be "from" a certain time or born in a certain time to appreciate the contents therein.  We have a lot of kids (read: teenagers) who post here and a lot of people older than that, and we all contribute in our own way.  I can appreciate the 70s and what it meant for the culture, and I was born in 1982.  The same as someone born in 1990 might be able to appreciate the 1980s, a decade they never saw. 

Remembering is one thing; you can't remember what you weren't alive to see.  But appreciating is something different.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/03/06 at 1:44 am

I was born in 1986 and I remember the 90s fairly well - I was the classic '90s kid' spending all my childhood years within that decade. But I guess yes, you're right, there are many aspects of the 90s I was too young to appreciate, unfortunately.

Written By: audkal on 07/03/06 at 9:46 am

I was born in '89 and I can remember a ton of stuff starting from about early '93.  I definitely appreciated the 90s when they were happening, or else I wouldn't be here talking about them so much.

Written By: Roadgeek on 07/03/06 at 2:15 pm

I was born in '89 and I can remember a ton of stuff starting from about early '93.  I definitely appreciated the 90s when they were happening, or else I wouldn't be here talking about them so much.

I'm the same age you are and yes I also remember stuff vividly from about early '93. They say we're not '90s kids, but we are.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/03/06 at 5:16 pm

Being born in 1987, I consider myself to be a bit to young to fully "appreciate" the '90s(of course the things that I didn't pay attention to at the time I found out about and began to appreciate in my teen years). I would say honestly that the '90s had a huge effect on my childhood and the decade will always have a place in my heart ;)

Written By: Dagwood on 07/04/06 at 10:05 am

This question comes up on the 80's board, too.  There are a bunch of posters born in the 80's that consider themselves 80's children even though they don't remember them.  I think it is what you identify with rather than your age during a certain time period. 

Written By: Ebontyne on 07/04/06 at 1:55 pm

Without meaning the slightest offense to anyone of any age, I do wish that there were at least a few more people born in the 1982-1984 range posting around here. Maybe it's just me, but there doesn't seem to be very many early '80s people here. :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/04/06 at 8:42 pm

Without meaning the slightest offense to anyone of any age, I do wish that there were at least a few more people born in the 1982-1984 range posting around here. Maybe it's just me, but there doesn't seem to be very many early '80s people here. :)

I was born in 1982.  :)  As was Ultraviolet. 

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/04/06 at 10:36 pm

I was born in 1982.   :)   As was Ultraviolet. 

Hmm...you, nally, Marty McFly, Ultraviolet, Ebontyne, criz, Luke were all born 1980-1985. Me, Donnie, Trimac, Brian, MidKnightDarkness (Beth), Alex, audkal, sonikuu, Roadgeek, Tubeway, Doms, Marsh, Dak, chaka, nicki morissey were born 1986-1991.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/07/06 at 7:34 am

I disagree (with all due respect :)  - I just find that strange). I'm almost two years younger than you (born in September 1981) and I ALWAYS loved the '80s. I have memories as far back as the first half of '85, and even though I'm a little hazy on pre-1987 I still love it.

Yeah I admit probably paid attention to everyday details and pop culture (especially music) more than most kids did, so I could totally buy if you said you didn't care or remember the first half of the decade, but come on, you should at least have some decent recollection of, say 1988 pretty well (playing NES, watching Full House, listening to Bon Jovi, etc).

^ Then again, we all tend to base things from our own experiences, and that's mine. Again, no offense intended. :)

I agree on one thing, I do have more "life experience" of the '90s, and more "indirect/kid memories" experience of the '80s. I've often wondered if that's partially why I always preferred '90s movies and '80s music (since movies IMO paint an entire snapshot of life, while music is just one side, so it's perhaps less complicated to appreciate. I liked music when I was 3 or 4, and I didn't get majorly into movies till I was 9ish).

BTW I love the '90s too, always have. Just not at the expense of the poor '80s. :D

Written By: Tia on 07/07/06 at 8:36 am

dag! way to harsh out the new folks!

having been born in 1969 my personal jones is for the 70s but a part of the reason why is because i don't remember it that well -- i remember more the feel of it than i recall many specifics. so a part of the nostalgia is an effort to recall memories that aren't very clear. the 80s are much clearer to me (and the 90s, obviously) but that's part of the reason i don't feel drawn to those eras so much.

anyway, people who are saying "you don't need to have been around in an era to appreciate it" are missing the point, i think. 90s girl is more asking about memories and when you start remembering things that happen to you in life.

Written By: audkal on 07/07/06 at 6:06 pm

people who are saying "you don't need to have been around in an era to appreciate it" are missing the point, i think. 90s girl is more asking about memories and when you start remembering things that happen to you in life.

Now I agree with that, because I don't remember anything from the 80s (I was just a baby, lol)....I think you can appreciate maybe music and movies from a certain decade that you weren't a part of, but not just how life was in general, obviously.  I do think 90s music and movies were better than now, BUT, the reason I love the 90s so much was because my life was better then.  Though my memory started in '93, I have a bunch of memories crammed in my head from that decade.

Written By: Roadgeek on 07/07/06 at 8:02 pm

Now I agree with that, because I don't remember anything from the 80s (I was just a baby, lol)....I think you can appreciate maybe music and movies from a certain decade that you weren't a part of, but not just how life was in general, obviously.  I do think 90s music and movies were better than now, BUT, the reason I love the 90s so much was because my life was better then.  Though my memory started in '93, I have a bunch of memories crammed in my head from that decade.

I'm like you. I remember TV and movies, but I don't remember '90s fads and music. I do however remember a little bit of grunge.

Written By: holicman on 07/08/06 at 10:03 am

I was born in 1978 and I remember mainly the latter part of the Eighties.

I grew up in the nineties though, and a majority of my more significant memories revolve around my life in the nineties, even though i grew up loving 60's and 70's music.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/08/06 at 12:28 pm

I disagree (with all due respect :)  - I just find that strange). I'm almost two years younger than you (born in September 1981) and I ALWAYS loved the '80s. I have memories as far back as the first half of '85, and even though I'm a little hazy on pre-1987 I still love it.

Yeah I admit probably paid attention to everyday details and pop culture (especially music) more than most kids did, so I could totally buy if you said you didn't care or remember the first half of the decade, but come on, you should at least have some decent recollection of, say 1988 pretty well (playing NES, watching Full House, listening to Bon Jovi, etc).

^ Then again, we all tend to base things from our own experiences, and that's mine. Again, no offense intended. :)

I agree on one thing, I do have more "life experience" of the '90s, and more "indirect/kid memories" experience of the '80s. I've often wondered if that's partially why I always preferred '90s movies and '80s music (since movies IMO paint an entire snapshot of life, while music is just one side, so it's perhaps less complicated to appreciate. I liked music when I was 3 or 4, and I didn't get majorly into movies till I was 9ish).

BTW I love the '90s too, always have. Just not at the expense of the poor '80s. :D

What I remember of the '90s is the general lifestyle, back to even 1993: the way things looked, the way people dressed/acted, even what was "cool" for teenagers to wear to a certain degree around 1996-1997...I liked certain dance music and "soft rock" or smooth R&B on the radio, and occasionally I recognize a song released in 1993-1995 that I haven't heard in like, ten years. I also remember the TV and movies pretty well, like all the excitement over Jurassic Park.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/08/06 at 1:25 pm

I was born in 1978 and I remember mainly the latter part of the Eighties.

I grew up in the nineties though, and a majority of my more significant memories revolve around my life in the nineties, even though i grew up loving 60's and 70's music.

I was nearly born in 1988(just two months before) and I can remember pretty much every year from 1993 on in very good detail(although of course my memories of the late '90s are much more focused and clear). But I do agree that the '00s are "my time" but I do think it's safe to say in my case that I grew up in both the '90s and '00s.

Written By: Roadgeek on 07/08/06 at 1:36 pm

What I remember of the '90s is the general lifestyle, back to even 1993: the way things looked, the way people dressed/acted, even what was "cool" for teenagers to wear to a certain degree around 1996-1997...I liked certain dance music and "soft rock" or smooth R&B on the radio, and occasionally I recognize a song released in 1993-1995 that I haven't heard in like, ten years. I also remember the TV and movies pretty well, like all the excitement over Jurassic Park.

Me too. I remember some grunge and occasionaly I'll recognize a song on the radio. I don't remember when it came out, but whenever I hear The Sign by Ace of Base, that takes me back.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/08/06 at 11:39 pm

Me too. I remember some grunge and occasionaly I'll recognize a song on the radio. I don't remember when it came out, but whenever I hear The Sign by Ace of Base, that takes me back.

Cool, same here actually. I liked "The Sign" when it first came out, one of my favorite '90s songs (although it's sort of electronica meets 1989ish pop).

Yeah, I know what you mean about having a auditory recognition of songs you vaguely remember. I'm that way with alof of music before 1987. In the years since, I always love "rediscovering" a song when I'd hear it on the radio or a compilation CD, or especially since I've gotten the Internet (ya know, that "Hey....this is cool, I remember this from when I was 5!" feeling). 8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/09/06 at 1:19 am

True, true. I like some '60s and '70s stuff, but don't "miss it" from remembering it the way I do with the '80s and '90s.

From a personal experience viewpoint, my favorite memories and things were when I was about 5 to 13.

I will say, it's weird because we almost always remember things better than they really were. In all honesty, the first two thirds of the '90s were kind of a lousy time for me (esp. late '93-early '96 when my parents were briefly separated and I moved around alot, living with my mom, changing schools, etc. Although I still have some fun individual memories). Although in a way, I even miss the lousy and inconsequential stuff now.

Plus, I now truly miss being 12 or 13 instead of 24 (though back then, I never would've thought I'd say that, LOL).

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/09/06 at 1:22 am

True, true. I like some '60s and '70s stuff, but don't "miss it" from remembering it the way I do with the '80s and '90s.

From a personal experience viewpoint, my favorite memories and things were when I was about 5 to 13.

I will say, it's weird because we almost always remember things better than they really were. In all honesty, the first two thirds of the '90s were kind of a lousy time for me (esp. late '93-early '96 when my parents were briefly separated and I moved around alot, living with my mom, changing schools, etc. Although I still have some fun individual memories). Although in a way, I even miss the lousy and inconsequential stuff now.

Plus, I now truly miss being 12 or 13 instead of 24 (though back then, I never would've thought I'd say that, LOL).

I think part of the reason I dislike the '00s so much is that my life sucked alot 2003-2005...I had alot of social tensions and family tensions during that period, particularly c. 2004, so I associate the whole "peak '00s" period VERY badly.

Written By: Roadgeek on 07/09/06 at 10:27 am

I think part of the reason I dislike the '00s so much is that my life sucked alot 2003-2005...I had alot of social tensions and family tensions during that period, particularly c. 2004, so I associate the whole "peak '00s" period VERY badly.

Me too. My favorite years of the '90s are 1994-1996 while my only favorite '00s year is 2003.

Written By: audkal on 07/09/06 at 10:49 am

LOL, I still don't really miss any year from the 00s, if any year it'd be 2000.  I do miss my years ages 3-10.  I miss being oblivious pretty much, lol.  When you're a kid, your life revolves around candy and cartoons.  It's so carefree, or "Hakuna Matata" to put it in a 90s way, lol.

Written By: 90s Girl on 07/09/06 at 9:41 pm

No offense taken, I see what you're saying, I absolutely remember some of the later 80's.  Most of the stuff you mentioned, I was just saying that as a little kid (generally) you don't pay as close of attention to pop culture as teenagers and young adults.  Well I didn't anyway, when I look back at pictures and stuff, it jogs my memory a little but I don't remember nearly as much from the 80's as I do the 90's.

Written By: 90s Girl on 07/09/06 at 10:03 pm

No offense, but people don't like being told they have to be "from" a certain time or born in a certain time to appreciate the contents therein.  We have a lot of kids (read: teenagers) who post here and a lot of people older than that, and we all contribute in our own way.  I can appreciate the 70s and what it meant for the culture, and I was born in 1982.  The same as someone born in 1990 might be able to appreciate the 1980s, a decade they never saw. 

Remembering is one thing; you can't remember what you weren't alive to see.  But appreciating is something different.

I didn't tell anyone they HAD to be from any particular time to "appreciate" it.  All I was saying is that the younger you were in the 90's, possibly, the less you remember from the decade.  There's "appreciating" history and then there's experiencing it.  In my opinion, having experienced something makes a person fully "appreciate" it.  I don't think you HAVE to be from an era to appreciate it, because like you, I also have an appreciation for past decades in which I did not experience.  However, I have no first hand memories to share nor can I sit around with a group of people "from" the decades and reminisce about things I have no idea about (and/or did not experience).  A persons perspective of a certain time period definitely varies based on their age at the time. I have several "little kid" memories of the 80's (toy's, cartoons, etc.) but so many more memories of the 90's (pop culture: entertainment, movies, music, events, etc.) and I feel that it's because I was older and more aware of things. 

Written By: 90s Girl on 07/09/06 at 10:06 pm

dag! way to harsh out the new folks!

having been born in 1969 my personal jones is for the 70s but a part of the reason why is because i don't remember it that well -- i remember more the feel of it than i recall many specifics. so a part of the nostalgia is an effort to recall memories that aren't very clear. the 80s are much clearer to me (and the 90s, obviously) but that's part of the reason i don't feel drawn to those eras so much.

anyway, people who are saying "you don't need to have been around in an era to appreciate it" are missing the point, i think. 90s girl is more asking about memories and when you start remembering things that happen to you in life.

Thank you Tia.....

Written By: Roadgeek on 07/09/06 at 10:07 pm

I didn't tell anyone they HAD to be from any particular time to "appreciate" it.  All I was saying is that the younger you were in the 90's, possibly, the less you remember from the decade.  There's "appreciating" history and then there's experiencing it.  In my opinion, having experienced something makes a person fully "appreciate" it.  I don't think you HAVE to be from an era to appreciate it, because like you, I also have an appreciation for past decades in which I did not experience.  However, I have no first hand memories to share nor can I sit around with a group of people "from" the decades and reminisce about things I have no idea about (and/or did not experience).  A persons perspective of a certain time period definitely varies based on their age at the time. I have several "little kid" memories of the 80's (toy's, cartoons, etc.) but so many more memories of the 90's (pop culture: entertainment, movies, music, events, etc.) and I feel that it's because I was older and more aware of things. 

Yeah. I was about 1 or 2 months old when the '90s began in 1990. However, because of my very powerful memory, I'm able to remember as far back as late 1992. I can't really remember popular music at that time from 1992-1996, but I do consider those years (Especially 1994-1995) my golden kid years. Also, I sort of like the '80s and I listen to a lot of oldies.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/10/06 at 6:22 pm

I think we have come down to an agreement on here about remembering stuff compared to being a kid 'kid' and a teenage 'kid.' I say, whatever you remember, you remember. We all have different memories. And we are all capable of remembering different things at different ages.

Written By: audkal on 07/10/06 at 10:17 pm

I think we have come down to an agreement on here about remembering stuff compared to being a kid 'kid' and a teenage 'kid.' I say, whatever you remember, you remember. We all have different memories. And we are all capable of remembering different things at different ages.

Bravo!  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...