inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Reasons Some People Dislike The 90s...

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/04/06 at 3:58 am

Subject: Re: Reasons Some People Dislike The 90s...

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/04/06 at 10:46 am

They think it wasn't stylish enough.

Written By: ADH13 on 07/04/06 at 11:03 am

I'm not much of a fan of 90's pop culture (although some early 90's non-grunge stuff was good)

But the 90's deserve alot of credit when it comes to technology... most of the population was introduced to the internet, graduated from pagers to cell phones, mp3 players, digital cameras, DVD's...

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/04/06 at 11:06 am

They think it wasn't stylish enough.

Could you elaborate a little more? The 90s were a probably 'low-key' decade, but the early 90s at least had plenty of style - what was lacking was probably taste  :D.

Written By: Roadgeek on 07/04/06 at 12:53 pm

Because it was to dull. However, I happen to think the '90s have plenty of reasons to be liked.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/04/06 at 2:47 pm

Vulgarity. Jerry Springer, sex scandals, Beavis and Butt-head, Ren and Stimpy, Eminem.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/04/06 at 6:05 pm

Vulgarity. Jerry Springer, sex scandals, Beavis and Butt-head, Ren and Stimpy, Eminem.

Yeah...also, alot of people think the whole grunge movement and stuff like the "real family life" sitcoms seem horribly dated now, and "unstylish." The '00s are heavily styled and designed like the '80s, unlike the '90s, which was too sloppy and un-fashion conscious, in the mind of the '00s. Also, it wasn't materialistic enough. And it seems cheesy in retrospect-Ricky Martin and "Whoomp! There It Is!"

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/04/06 at 10:42 pm

Yeah...also, alot of people think the whole grunge movement and stuff like the "real family life" sitcoms seem horribly dated now, and "unstylish." The '00s are heavily styled and designed like the '80s, unlike the '90s, which was too sloppy and un-fashion conscious, in the mind of the '00s. Also, it wasn't materialistic enough. And it seems cheesy in retrospect-Ricky Martin and "Whoomp! There It Is!"

I think the materialism in the 90s is very understated - this was the decade of the Dot.com boom, the height of Yuppiesm 'Starbucks' culture, Gentrification - you name it, alot of Armani-wearing go-getters driving their BMW's and using their 'high-tech' cell-phones. But I think teenagers were definitely less obsessed with worldly goods, and more into activism, environmentalism, getting their voices heard - changing in the world, in short.

Written By: Ebontyne on 07/09/06 at 5:55 pm

I don't dislike the '90s generally.... Just certain things, such as:

- the prevalence of "Yo' mama" jokes and "Talk to the hand!" when I was in junior high.
- the O.J. Simpson trial, which I tried to ignore... but it just went on and on. I didn't even know about the guy until he was arrested, except from his minor role in the Naked Gun movies.
- the Monica Lewinsky fiasco.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/10/06 at 10:43 pm

- the prevalence of "Yo' mama" jokes and "Talk to the hand!" when I was in junior high.
- the O.J. Simpson trial, which I tried to ignore... but it just went on and on. I didn't even know about the guy until he was arrested, except from his minor role in the Naked Gun movies.
- the Monica Lewinsky fiasco.

LMAO  ;D, What was yo' Mamma doing at my door, blind drunk and screaming like a lunatic, at 2am last night?

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 07/11/06 at 3:25 am

I agree with that.

I don't have anything against the 90's really..but I may also be 'too old' to appreciate it. I graduated HS in 1990, got married in 1992, and had two children in the 90's. So plenty 'good' happened to me then. But I was just too busy with 'life' when the 90's hit.

But.. I also feel like that decade was just, 'gross'.
I was one of the few people in the world that didn't like grunge music AT ALL (and I'm two hours away from Seattle!), and the tacky kind of cartoons/movies/etc just kind of made it seem more 'ick'---to me, anyway.

And of course that's just my opinion..but the same people who would disagree that the decade was spectacular are the same ones who may have horrible things to say about the 80's, which I just don't agree with.

So I'm not sure that any decade is 'bad', or really DISLIKED even, per se..I think it's all about how we look at it individually, and why we feel like we do about any given era.  :-\\

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/11/06 at 11:13 am

You do know that predates the 90s right?

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/11/06 at 11:20 am

Were they especially prevalent in the 90s as compared with the 80s?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/11/06 at 11:59 am

Were they especially prevalent in the 90s as compared with the 80s?

Not necessarily b/c there's a major history regarding, "Yo Mama" jokes so it predates the sixties. Once the mainstream got hold such things the prevalence became extreme and just gawd awful.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/11/06 at 12:01 pm

Not necessarily b/c there's a major history regarding, "Yo Mama" jokes so it predates the sixties. Once the mainstream got hold such things the prevalence became extreme and just gawd awful.

"Talk to the hand" and "You go girl", I always thought, reached the mainstream via African-American drag queens imitating African-American women, who in turn passed it onto the white gay community and then into the American mainstream in the '90s.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/11/06 at 12:03 pm

Same with the whole 'Blaxploitation' thing in the early 70s, and again in the early 00s with the wiggerism.etc.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/11/06 at 12:07 pm

Same with the whole 'Blaxploitation' thing in the early 70s, and again in the early 00s with the wiggerism.etc.

Yeah, I hate the term, "wigger". It's an excuse to basically say "******" without any ramifications. You are basically saying "white ******". It's no difference from saying the actual vile word.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/11/06 at 12:19 pm

Yeah, I hate the term, "wigger". It's an excuse to basically say "******" without any ramifications. You are basically saying "white ******". It's no difference from saying the actual vile word.

I actually a similar thought earlier today...I think many misguided people think it's sort of 'ok' because black people use it all the time. But apparently, they say 'Nigga' instead of '******.' When spoken, they sound pretty much the same anyway...

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/11/06 at 12:26 pm

"Talk to the hand" and "You go girl", I always thought, reached the mainstream via African-American drag queens imitating African-American women, who in turn passed it onto the white gay community and then into the American mainstream in the '90s.

lol, they are such cliches now...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/11/06 at 12:30 pm

The drag queens, of course, got it from us. Once "In Living Color" came on the air with a skit saying these phrases, that's when the white gay community and mainstream got on board. It was always painful to hear suburban housewives and such say them.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/11/06 at 12:31 pm

The drag queens, of course, got it from us. Once "In Living Color" came on the air with a skit saying these phrases, that's when the white gay community and mainstream got on board. It was always painful to hear suburban housewives and such say them.

I always associate 'Talk to the Hand' with Jim Carrey for some reason.  ;D

Written By: Ebontyne on 07/11/06 at 12:34 pm

Yeah, I knew that "yo mama" jokes predated the '90s, though I didn't know by how much. But from the perspective of my own life, I associate them with middle school in the mid '90s because that's when everyone around me was saying them and it was annoying... I don't hear them anymore, probably because I'm older.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/11/06 at 12:50 pm

Yeah, I knew that "yo mama" jokes predated the '90s, though I didn't know by how much. But from the perspective of my own life, I associate them with middle school in the mid '90s because that's when everyone around me was saying them and it was annoying... I don't hear them anymore, probably because I'm older.

I figured that.  ;)

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/11/06 at 1:44 pm

I feel entitled to say things such as "Don't go there, girlfriend" on rare occasions, though, being a member of the gay community.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/11/06 at 1:46 pm

I feel entitled to say things such as "Don't go there, girlfriend" on rare occasions, though, being a member of the gay community.

Why should gay people have that right? I've never got this thing about certain groups of people having the 'right' to say certain words.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/11/06 at 2:05 pm

hahaha
Why should gay people have that right? I've never got this thing about certain groups of people having the 'right' to say certain words.

Depending on the word, there may be no ill intent towards it. Other times, it comes off as severely corny and/or a desperate attempt to be cool or culturally revelant when the person would otherwise not be. For example, for someone who lives in the suburbs to say something's ghetto, particularly when they are referring to an item that no one in the ghetto would have anyway (e.g. the size of a swimming pool, not having a swimming pool).

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/11/06 at 2:11 pm

hahaha
Depending on the word, there may be no ill intent towards it. Other times, it comes off as severely corny and/or a desperate attempt to be cool or culturally revelant when the person would otherwise not be. For example, for someone who lives in the suburbs to say something's ghetto, particularly when they are referring to an item that no one in the ghetto would have anyway (e.g. the size of a swimming pool, not having a swimming pool).

Yeah, that's extremely inappropriate. Like, onetime there were alot of scratches in the chorus room floor and these girls in the play that we were in kept saying "Oh, our school is so ghetto" and my friend and I were like "No...this isn't the ghetto." I go to a school without many minorities, so racism slips by. My gym class had 12 kids in it and we'd make mixes to blare over the stereo system, and of course all the kids brought in rap mixes (I would bring in back-2-back Prince and Madonna) and would say stuff like "I feel like such a black person!"  ::)

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/11/06 at 2:14 pm

Yeah, that's extremely inappropriate. Like, onetime there were alot of scratches in the chorus room floor and these girls in the play that we were in kept saying "Oh, our school is so ghetto" and my friend and I were like "No...this isn't the ghetto." I go to a school without many minorities, so racism slips by. My gym class had 12 kids in it and we'd make mixes to blare over the stereo system, and of course all the kids brought in rap mixes (I would bring in back-2-back Prince and Madonna) and would say stuff like "I feel like such a black person!"  ::)

I've never heard 'this is so ghetto' before, but I can see how it would be pretty inappropriate.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/11/06 at 2:18 pm

Also, there's this perception that any predominately black area must be the ghetto. There are alot of middle-class to upper-class black areas (parts of Brooklyn and Queens, parts of South Orange and Montclair in Jersey) that aren't "ghetto" at all.

Written By: Ebontyne on 07/11/06 at 2:20 pm

hahaha

I don't think I've ever used the word "ghetto" to refer to anything other than actual ghettoes.  8)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/11/06 at 2:55 pm

Also, there's this perception that any predominately black area must be the ghetto. There are alot of middle-class to upper-class black areas (parts of Brooklyn and Queens, parts of South Orange and Montclair in Jersey) that aren't "ghetto" at all.

You hit it square on the head. In this day and age, there's no reason for such ignorance to continue.

Check for new replies or respond here...